Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - think she changed anyone's perception of beauty?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

think she changed anyone's perception of beauty?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

idk some people really need to see people who look like them represented in media. idk if I do but i [am now] trying not to diminish the experience of those who really do need it. 

it's like how the McCartney chicks show was mocked bc it was about 2 big people falling in love.  but she's a successful comedian and the show is apparently good.  i am sure it was good for some people to see a big bish getting their lovin' on.

yes, some people do need to see themselves represented in the media, especially POC. As I get older, I have become one of those people for representation, especially for children (but that is a whole other topic) 

But meaningful representation; not stereotypical, and not in a way that makes you feel like the person (or people) is some exhibit at the zoo. What I like so much about what Amani did was that she put herself out there. As a fat black woman, she is either going to be seen as a walking stereotype or just invisible. To demand to be seen, and on her terms, was a really powerful message. 

And I think that she reflects the reality of how a lot of people look. Other people seeing her can bring out their discomfort about themselves. 

derailing the convo to her wearing a wig and the implications of her doing so kinda missed the point of what she was doing, IMO.
Sponsored Links

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:05pm

@wonder
validation just seems like its more for a self-esteem boost...women looking for validation usually have a low self-esteem

this woman has a high confidence and self-esteem and i dont think she would have lost her self-esteem had she not been "accepted"

she had it before she even pulled this stunt...regardless of the outcome she would have been just fine.

and its clear that she was not accepted by everyone...but she said her piece and kept it moving....someone looking for validation would have been crushed by a negative comment...

Edited by ModelessDiva - Apr 03 2014 at 8:06pm
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:05pm
i understand what you're saying but i think we're playing semantics.  we're only speculating so it's not worth going back and forth.
smaison View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

^dear heavens no. just presciption.  i always hear it's cheaper online but i've never done it. I'm not a heavy contact wearer. I'm ok being a four eyed gyal.

oh ok...cuz I was judging you.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i understand what you're saying but i think we're playing semantics.  we're only speculating so it's not worth going back and forth.

BeerHandshake
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

and I think they should ticket her and the naked cowboy in NYC who I HATE!

Question
Qualified View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qualified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if your edges need care, I don't think you should get braids

agree

+1

Nor slick back pony tails, flying at half mast, starting in the middle of your crown.

And yall are wylin out in here, but I knew when I saw this on PIX 11 news this am, that yall would be on BHM going in. It was a bold move. Definitely a tongue in cheek way of getting at the superficial air that seems to embody LA. I like her confidence, stretched out on that sidewalk gave me the eeks. Lets face it though, that took a lot chutzpah to do some sh!t like that, especially since she knew she'd be the bud of a lot of public criticism... so for that and for that alone, I say good.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:29pm
I wonder if Ellen will have her on the show.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

So fatties can't have hairdos, wear makeup, and put effort into looking good? Exactly how does that make sense?

ETA: Hard out here for a fat ass lol

yall skinnies dont want us to have nuuuuufiiiiiinnnnn!

Cry
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 11:21pm
while we;re on the subject of fat...why do i feel like a lot of obese people have the same snouty type nose? Like the chick in my first gif + a lot of obese folk ive seen in real life?

Is there a name for this?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>