Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Things you wished you had learned in school

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things you wished you had learned in school
    Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 3:39pm
What are some things you wished you were taught in school or by your parents that you weren't taught while growing up? 

I was sitting here thinking about how I probably wouldn't have learned how to do basic things when it comes to working such as what to expect during a job interview and how to write a resume had I not been in a business club in high schoo.
Sponsored Links

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:41pm
how to invest in stock
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:46pm
How to pay for college (side hustles, jobs, scholarships, grants, trickin' etc lol)
Personal finance
A trade
Black history & literature all 4 years. Eff yt lit/history.Stern Smile

Basically real world skills for after graduation.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:52pm
Sewing was required when I was in school.

When I was in junior high school, all girls in 7th and 8th grades were required to take sewing for half of the year and cooking the other half. The program was extremely structured. In 7th grade we made a pillow and in 8th grade we made an A-line skirt (which had already been out of style for years). The boys took shop (car mechanics) and woodworking. A boy would never have been allowed to take sewing or cooking, nor would a girl be allowed to take woodworking or shop.

I regret my decision to drop the class in the 9th grade . I would love to design fancy church hats .
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:01pm
personal finance...my parents bailed me out way too much for far too long as far as wants, not needs

i wish i knew how to ask for help earlier on, i wouldnt have struggled as much in college 
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

When I was in junior high school, all girls in 7th and 8th grades were required to take sewing for half of the year and cooking the other half. The program was extremely structured. In 7th grade we made a pillow and in 8th grade we made an A-line skirt (which had already been out of style for years). The boys took shop (car mechanics) and woodworking. A boy would never have been allowed to take sewing or cooking, nor would a girl be allowed to take woodworking or shop.

I regret my decision to drop the class in the 9th grade . I would love to design fancy church hats .

Yeah I remember learning to sew in home economics in middle school. I don't think they ever taught us in depth by making us sew skirts and dresses and things though. The only thing I recall doing was a pillow. Either way I don't even think they have such classes in schools anymore and that was only in the early 2000s when I had that course.
beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

we had the same set up. except everyone took all the classes. half og the year was shop. the other half was split between seeing and cooking (family and consumer science)

8th grade we had to pick (home ec, shop, or chorus/art) to do for the whole year
HeyBeautiful18 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyBeautiful18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:54pm
I wish they had sewing classes in my highschool

Things like how to finance a car, interest rates on loans, credit cards, credit scores, how to buy a house, checks etc would have been nice to know

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 9:24pm
investing and financial education- better social skills (I would love to be the type of person who can make any everyday story sound funny and entertaining, to make people feel at ease) but I love they taught me to Love myself and my culture a taste for adventure and to seek knowledge
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 12:58am
Finance.  How the stock market works, what is a derivative, what is a future, how to invest etc

Black History (beyond MLK and Malcolm X)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic