FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'There was no way I could have saved him'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

It would be a lot of stuff not captured on photo/film judging by some of the responses in here. 

They in here lyin'.
Don't mind them.

Being the great samaritans that they are, they would've stopped the train like
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

so what happened with that volture and the baby, did the child die that day?

No one knows. He (Kevin Carter) won the Pulitzer for the photo.

The pic was reportedly taken next to a feeding center, and people there have said he chased the bird away.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

so what happened with that volture and the baby, did the child die that day?

from what I understand she was able to get away from the vulture that day.  The photographer ended up scaring it off but he didn't pick up the lil girl.  Also.....i heard her parents were nearby gettin' food from a plane that had dropped off rations.....just like alot of other parents.    She wasn't the only child out there at the time.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

I may have wanted to help, but honestly self preservation is a strong instinct.  And the noise and confusion, it would be very disorienting.  I mean, firemen train constantly to act in emergencies, and average joe standing on the street is expected to have spiderman reflexes? 

I question the newspaper that printed the photo, because that was wrong.  And the guy who pushed him was the most wrong.  HE should have helped him when he saw what he had done!  Azzhole!

This man was trying to crawl out for 30-45 seconds. Those aren't spiderman reflexes.  I could see if it was 15 seconds, there would've just been no hope. But half a minute??

I'm praying for this man's family tonight. I cannot imagine. Is this just the atmosphere up there? Think for yourself and of yourself only? I guess a perk to living in the South is that I KNOW someone would've tried to help in the very least. My God.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Does NY still have the death penalty? Can we throw this dumbass into an acid filled lake? I'm SO upset for this man and his family.

you wanna kill the man who took the pic?

No no the guy who did the actual killing.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:35pm

Kevin Carter, a Pulitzer Winner For Sudan Photo, Is Dead at 33

By BILL KELLER
Published: July 29, 1994

Kevin Carter, the South African photographer whose image of a starving Sudanese toddler stalked by a vulture won him a Pulitzer Prize this year, was found dead on Wednesday night, apparently a suicide, the police said today. He was 33.

The police said Mr. Carter's body and several letters to friends and family were discovered in his pickup truck, parked in a Johannesburg suburb. They said an inquest showed he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr. Carter began his work as a sports photographer in 1983, but soon moved to the front lines of South African political strife, recording images of repression, anti-apartheid protest and fratricidal violence for several South African newspapers and more recently as a freelance photographer.

He was arrested several times for violating a South African ban on reporting of the domestic conflict.

Life Close to the Edge

A few days after his Pulitzer was announced in April, Mr. Carter was nearby when one of his closest friends and professional companions, Ken Oosterbroek, was shot dead photographing a gun battle in Tokoza township.

Friends said Mr. Carter was a man of tumultuous emotions, which brought passion to his work but also drove him to extremes of elation and depression. He often told friends if he had not become a photographer he would have been a race car driver, because he enjoyed living close to the edge.

Last year, saying he needed a break from South Africa's turmoil, he paid his own way to the southern Sudan to photograph a civil war and famine he felt the world was overlooking.

His picture of an emaciated girl collapsing on the way to a feeding center, as a plump vulture lurked in the background, was published first in The New York Times and The Mail & Guardian, a Johannesburg weekly. Later it was displayed in many other publications as a metaphor for Africa's despair.

The reaction to the picture was so strong that The Times published an unusual editors' note on the fate of the girl. Mr. Carter said she resumed her trek to the feeding center. He chased away the vulture.

The Horror of the Work

Afterward, he told an interviewer in April, he sat under a tree for a long time, "smoking cigarettes and crying."

"Kevin always carried around the horror of the work he did," his father, Jimmy Carter, told the South African Press Association tonight.

Mr. Carter was born in Johannesburg on Sept. 13, 1960. He began as a freelance photographer for The Sunday Express, a tabloid that is now defunct, and moved in 1984 to South Africa's largest daily newspaper, The Star, in Johannesburg.

He worked as chief photographer at The Sunday Tribune and started the photo department at The Daily Mail in 1990. He remained with The Mail when it reverted to a weekly format, and last year began full-time work for Reuters.

Mr. Carter is survived by his parents, a 6-year-old daughter, and two sisters.

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:39pm
his dads name was Jimmy Carter.

damn that is sad esp. him crying. that pic and reading that brought tears in my eyes.

it's like when videographers and reporters went down to Haiti and ppl were like instead of reporting why don't you help? but capturing and memorializing things are a way of helping.  there is purpose in remembering.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

It takes less than a second to take a photo.

Lamp

would it have taken seconds to pick that man up off the tracks,and  the same amount of effort it took to take the photos? What speed was the train coming at? I suspect faster than any other human - unless trained to rescue people in extraordinary events such as these - could have done.

He shouldve given the pics to police or if he really wanted them published for whatever reason, given them without a cost, to the publication.
Other than that, the more i think about it, the less i believe he was in a position to save this man

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:44pm
People in here wouldnt even call the cops if they hear their neighbour being beaten on the daily, but they'd jump unto tracks, or try to lift a grown man out of that pit in 30 seconds?
Ok.
just saying, if you really think this through, how plausible would it have been for any of you to save this man in seconds?

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 2:47pm
Like I said, if photographers and video journalist aren't suppose to photograph life and death events, then there would be a ton of lost footage/images from history.

I'm trying not to let my own bias as a reporter cloud my thoughts, but I just think it's unfair people would criticize the photographer, as if his ability to "help" is any greater than anyone else that was there. He gets criticism because he had a camera and chose to document? He's a journalist. That's what he does.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic