Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Theory about Rape in the Military

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 5:10am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

I kind of feel like no one is addressing my main question on whether they think women were allowed in the military for this specific purpose. That's not to say that all they can do or that's all they're good for, but considering that they have limited duties and that these types of crimes are very rarely acted upon, do you think this is why women continue to be recruited? Perhaps sex/entertainment is the only reason they are there but no one wants to come out and say it?

This
Sponsored Links

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:01am
Originally posted by sweet_n_stuff04 sweet_n_stuff04 wrote:

Why do you think the military chooses to protect men instead of women when accusations of rape are made?

* Where are you getting this info. from? I don't think the military protects men. From some of the things that I've heard (not sure if it's true or not) it's easier for a woman to claim rape than it is for a man to defend himself. A lot of people say that they hear stories of men going to a party/bar/wherever...they meet a girl, both get drunk, then have sex. Later on the girl would get embarrassed and want to claim she was raped. I'm not the military expert but like I've said before, we have the resources needed to help victims of rape and it's taken seriously on all accounts.*

I'm starting to think that I'm talking on deaf ears. You really don't want to hear about different opinions...you just want to believe what you want. So with that being said...I'm done.

in the military world, it doesn't work like that. at all.

you think that rapes are underreported in the civilian world? think how it is in a culture where you even insinuate that something like that has gone on, you are denied promotions, created a (more) hostile work environment, basically become ostrasized and so much more. and that's just for someone in your rank or below. if it's an officer? it's even worse. IMO, when a woman in the military says she was raped, I take it seriously b/c she has probably thought about all of these things. it is so much easier for a male to dismiss it and the incident get swept under the rug.

i don't know how to explain it, but it's different. and the military doesn't take it seriously b/c it is so much of a "boys club" as explained before. the majority of men do not like females in the military and will openly say so to their face.. i have seen it. numerous times. when my husband deployed w/ his unit, females were put in temporarily

part of it is how the military culture is, and yes, it has to do w/ the thought of females not belonging in combat roles, or even in the military at all. if a female has a promotion, it was b/c she did some sexual favor, or it was to advance the #of females in in higher ranking roles.

its also part of a larger culture where women are not respected and seen as only objects.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

I see where this is going...Sleepy

Y'all are so easily distracted--by arguments that have been had a million times before. Are we really going to do this?

This thread is not about whether women should be allowed in the military, or whether women should want to join the military. I'm asking if you find anything conspiratorial or suspicious about the "boys' club" culture of the military and if you think women are being sought out and recruited with less than savory intentions.

star, I think I get what you are saying.

yes, there is something suspicious about the "boys club" mentality of the military. it's gone on for so long and they don't want to change it. having women in there drastically changes things and they don't like it. that's not everyone in the military though and you'll find' "boys' clubs" everywhere.

as far as recruitment, i'm sure that some recruiters do that. recruiting practices on their own can employ extremely predatory practices towards people in lower income areas so that they get their numbers. but that's not all recruiters...I would say that the majority genuinely want people to join for the right reasons

as far as women being in the military in the capacity that they are in now, that goes back to the (white) women's suffage movement.

edited b/c my spelling is horrible this early in the morning

Edited by Ladybird0724 - Nov 06 2012 at 8:19am
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:07am
i giggled a little bit at paper b1tch
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:13am
Before ppl here go off half cocked on this "women are in the military for entertainment" theory why don't yall actually talk to some women who serve.  I have served in the armed forces for years.  No its not perfect, but society is just as jacked up--if not more so.  Rape occurs but to say its swept under the rug systematically is hog wash.

Why would you think the military shouldn't employ women?  There are thousands of positions that aren't based on strength.  Women are accountants, lawyers, computer technicians, doctors, nurses, logistical supervisors, maintenance operators, truck drivers, human resource managers, and the list goes on.  Not every one actually runs around with a gun hunting terroristsStern Smile

The military pays for housing, education, and medical benefits.  Why shouldn't women have access to all these benefits?  I've seen Black and Hispanic females reach more successful career goals inside the military then in civilian life.  The leadership is much more diverse with AAs in top positions.  The civilian world not so much.  End of rant.

Edited by Tbaby - Nov 06 2012 at 8:17am
beautiful_hair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:21am
Women and men are raped in the military because people are people.  The military doesn't change someone once they join; you're still the same person with the same thoughts and actions you were before you joined.  It's the same concept in the civilian world.  

Furthermore, the Navy (don't know about other branches) will not side with the male because of some so called "boys club" as most of you put it.  Just like sweet_n_stuff wrote, it is far too easy for a woman to say she was raped or sexually harassed and the male get all the punishment.  I've seen it happened and the girl had lied about it.  Turns out she didn't like the way her supervisor was treating her so she concocted a story about him sexually harassing her and got him kicked out.  The Navy takes this very seriously, but unfortunately, it will always be a problem because people will always be people.
sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Before ppl here go off half cocked on this "women are in the military for entertainment" theory why don't yall actually talk to some women who serve.  I have served in the armed forces for years.  No its not perfect, but society is just as jacked up--if not more so.  Rape occurs but to say its swept under the rug systematically is hog wash.

Why would you think the military shouldn't employ women?  There are thousands of positions that aren't based on strength.  Women are accountants, lawyers, computer technicians, doctors, nurses, logistical supervisors, maintenance operators, truck drivers, human resource managers, and the list goes on.  Not every one actually runs around with a gun hunting terroristsStern Smile

The military pays for housing, education, and medical benefits.  Why shouldn't women have access to all these benefits?  I've seen Black and Hispanic females reach more successful career goals inside the military then in civilian life.  The leadership is much more diverse with AAs in top positions.  The civilian world not so much.  End of rant.

I wish I could thank you a million times for this!
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Exactly.  I'm active duty Navy and I agree with you 100% .  My sister is an attorney in the civilian world, but wanted to become a Navy Jag.  Why wouldn't educated people join the military?  We can make a hell of a lot more money than our counterparts in the civilian because of all the extra pay we get.  I'm stationed in Japan right now making big money and all I do is sit at a desk all day.  Don't talk about it unless you know about it.
sweet_n_stuff04 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweet_n_stuff04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Why do you think the military chooses to protect men instead of women when accusations of rape are made?

* Where are you getting this info. from? I don't think the military protects men. From some of the things that I've heard (not sure if it's true or not) it's easier for a woman to claim rape than it is for a man to defend himself. A lot of people say that they hear stories of men going to a party/bar/wherever...they meet a girl, both get drunk, then have sex. Later on the girl would get embarrassed and want to claim she was raped. I'm not the military expert but like I've said before, we have the resources needed to help victims of rape and it's taken seriously on all accounts.*

I'm starting to think that I'm talking on deaf ears. You really don't want to hear about different opinions...you just want to believe what you want. So with that being said...I'm done.

you think that rapes are underreported in the civilian world? think how it is in a culture where you even insinuate that something like that has gone on, you are denied promotions, created a (more) hostile work environment, basically become ostrasized and so much more. and that's just for someone in your rank or below. if it's an officer? it's even worse. IMO, when a woman in the military says she was raped, I take it seriously b/c she has probably thought about all of these things. it is so much easier for a male to dismiss it and the incident get swept under the rug.

i don't know how to explain it, but it's different. and the military doesn't take it seriously b/c it is so much of a "boys club" as explained before. the majority of men do not like females in the military and will openly say so to their face.. i have seen it. numerous times. when my husband deployed w/ his unit, females were put in temporarily

part of it is how the military culture is, and yes, it has to do w/ the thought of females not belonging in combat roles, or even in the military at all. if a female has a promotion, it was b/c she did some sexual favor, or it was to advance the #of females in in higher ranking roles.

its also part of a larger culture where women are not respected and seen as only objects.

I'm in the military world and it does work the way that I said it. Idk what branch you're in but the Air Force has a zero tolerance for abuse.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:28am

Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

I'm in the military world and it does work the way that I said it. Idk what branch you're in but the Air Force has a zero tolerance for abuse.
As does the Navy
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System