Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Whole Scientific Truth about TriETHANOLamine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Whole Scientific Truth about TriETHANOLamine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Whole Scientific Truth about TriETHANOLamine
    Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 12:49am
Why you may want avoid TEA in your water based hair products, depending on your individual hair's type's vulnerabilities and sensitivities:

Hi, everyone. I have previously posted my previous negative experiences on amazon with ecostyler gel causing me baldspots, due to my protien sensitivity, in my low porosity type 4 hair. While I was in search of products to use as a replacement, I ran across Wet line gel, which claimed to be alcohol free, and moisturizing. Many People recommened it as a protein free gel. After i still experienced continuous thinning and immediately quit the product. I was aware my hair hated proteins, due to the brittle crunchy feeling I got when I used them. Wet line didn't contain hydrolyzed wheat protein. And something wasn’t right. From the beginning, my hair was thinning and I wasn’t seeing hair coming out, just like with the Ecostyler gel.

it took me a very long time to notice what was in this product that was directly agitating what I assumed to be my protein sensitivity, since they marketed themselves as protein free and alcohol free. I had the gut feeling it was triethanolamine, which was proven to be an irritant, but was unable to find specific testimony, so I was more or less speculating maybe it had something to do with the alkaline ph at the time.

So I recently looked at the chemical structure of triethanolamine and did some thorough research. I discovered a few shocking things about the ingredients in this product, and how they work together: triethanolamine and polyacrylate acid.  I will order my points from bad to worse.

WE ALREADY KNOW:

http://carcinogens-and-toxic-chemicals.blogspot.com/2012/11/triethanolamine-toxic-chemical-in.html

http://ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/706639/TRIETHANOLAMINE/

We are told this is a moderate irritant, and has been shown to be a human skin toxin or allergent, and expected to cause non-reproductive organ toxicity, and has been linked to cancer. These have all been brushed off as moderate concerns though.

FIRST:

Triethanolamine is a surficant. Yes it is a water soluble surficant. So are proteins, and some watersoluable silicones. Proteins in gel act as water soluble surficants. Coconut oil is a water soluable surficant. They all still latch on to the hair and plasticize it, and in many cases work against moisture as they are not moisturizers, but plasticizing emollients and moisturizing agents that need to work in conjunction with water in order to be effective in hydration.  But you are still leaving this on your hair for a substantial amount of time, and depending on your hair type and sensitivities, Use Caution.

SECOND:

Now, look at the word, triETHANOLamine. Ethanol.

Ethanol is a drying alcohol. If any of you are reporting dryness and brittleness, this is what is affecting you, it isn't random.

"Ethanolamine is an organic compound that is naturally found in coconut oil and is a primary amine and primary alcohol"
http://EzineArticles.com/6884068

"As I explained last week in The 5 Most Common Mistakes Even Skin Experts Make, it is well-established that ethanol can reduce water content via a form of water loss known as transepidermal water loss (TEWL) (1), lipid content via extraction and dissolution (2), and protein content via denaturation (3). These properties allow for ethanol to be an effective (and drying) penetration enhancer."

"Ethanol in itself isn’t harmful. It’s the DRYING effect that can lead to other problems."
http://www.futurederm.com/2012/04/19/is-ethanol-in-skin-care-products-safe/

Still unconvinced??? Why is this ethanol actually drying? For an ethanol to be drying to the hair it must:

1. extract and dissolute lipids. What are lipids? Fatty ACIDS. I will elaborate on why this is what this gel does later.

2. be denatured. You may claim the ethanol in triethanolamine is not denatured. It comes from coconut, so it must not be denatured right? False. The fact that this is a clear gel means it was heated, and therefore denatured. These gels wouldn't be this clear if they didn't contain denatured alcohol. Below is a scientific study that shows the effect of denaturzation on the viscosity of protein systems. Note it also says some things about NaOH, which this product contains. No matter the amount of NaOH, it will always denature the protein systems in water based substances once heated. Once heated, that is when it forms a clear, gel consistency. This is where these products holding abilities and clear consistency come from.

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC2141169/pdf/341.pdf

THIRD:

"Triethanolamine is an aminoalcohol. Neutralize acids to form SALTS plus water in exothermic reactions."
http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB9852620.htm

"The triethanolamine NEUTRALIZES fatty acids, adjusts and buffers the pH, and SOLUBILISES oils and other ingredients that are not completely soluble in water. Some common products in which triethanolamine is found are liquid laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids, general cleaners, hand cleaners, polishes, metalworking fluids, paints, shaving cream and printing inks"

"TEA is a fairly strong base: a 1% solution has a pH of approximately 10"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethanolamine

"phs 10-14. depilatory. swell hairs as much as 10 times the original size; may dissolve hair."

http://images116.fotki.com/v715/photos/9/3265899/12913134/dissolveproof-vi.jpg

Because TEA is the 3rd ingredient in this gel and has a ph of 10, Polyacrylate acid was used to balance the ph and neutralize TEA, and TEA make Polyacrylate acid water soluble. Unfortunately the combination of the two forms a drying effect on the hair-- it turns into SALT, aka Sodium Hydroxide, aka NaOH which is also water soluble, btw.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080324143837AAcJ1Im
this source is reliable despite being on yahoo answers, as it was answered by a top contributor in the chemistry section.

It is also the main dissolving agent in lye relaxers. Lye= NaOH= Salt=Sodium Hydroxide. Ethanolamine is also a form of ammonia.
 “Triethanolamine is produced from the reaction of ethylene oxide with aqueous ammonia”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triethanolamine

The alcohol does have a natural resistance to turning into salt and ammonia, however. BUT ONLY when oil is added to the formulation as a base. It needs to be oil based. Gel is water based, including this one. Salt is already drying, let alone putting the main ingredient used in relaxers in your product.
“It is ethanolamine's primary alcohol characteristic that makes it possible to be suspended in a soy Oil base as neither sodium carbonate (a primary salt) or ammonia (a primary base) will dilute with oil.”

Conclusion.

Wet line. Very drying and in 3rd ingredient. The ingredient right after it, polyacrylate acid, meant to make up for the fact TEA had a depilatory ph of 10 that dissolves hair, forms a SALT compound called NaOH, aka lye or sodium hydroxide, commonly used as an agent to break bonds in the protein of the hair in hair relaxers. This is the case with all acids. This is just how triETHANOLamine reacts with acid, AND YOU JUST CAN'T PUT tEa in a hair product, with out adding some form of acidic compound to bring the ph down to a non-depilatory level. There are also many proven reports that TEA is an irritant, and has been linked to cancer. Hmmm.. Just like lye relaxers have been.

Let me repeat that in the most blatant way possible.

1. LYE relaxers, which active ingredient is SODIUM HYDROXIDE.
2. Relaxers have been linked to cancer.

3. THIS water based gel has ingredients, TRIETHANOLAMINE and POLYACRYLATE ACID which together, (unless formulated in an oil base, which this gel "WETLINE" is NOT, it's a water based gel, the first ingredient is water) form the exact same compound.

4. This gel has ingredients that forms a compound--> Sodium Hydroxide, Lye, NaOH, SALT. Whatever you want to call it.

5. Studies about Triethanolamine, already show "moderate" cancer link. Where is the cancer link coming from? Sodium Hydroxide.

This product markets itself as being alcohol free, when it isn’t. Moisturizing, when it isn’t. Many people also claim this is a “Protein Free” styling gel. For you protein sensitive‘s, It has panthenol, which absorbs into the hair cortex similar to ethanol and plasticizes it, leaving a gummy waxy build up after awhile that causes dryness similar to protein and coconut oil can. Hope I helped you guys.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 31 2014 at 9:14am
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2014 at 9:58pm
Also, the top 5 ingredients contain tea, which means it is the top 5 most active ingredients in the gel formulation, whether the sodium hydroxide is at 5% concentration or not. The dilution in water is the exact reason the compound is formed. Compare to low lye relaxers, which still break bonds of hair diluted Sodium Hydroxide to 2.5%.

"A Low Lye relaxer has the lowest concentration of sodium hydroxide which is less than 2.5%. It is equally as effective as other Sodium Hydroxide relaxers however much more mild due to the percentage of active ingredient. The low lye relaxer gently loosens the bonds for increased manageability, while maintaining some level of texture in the hair."

http://www.designessentials.com/prof...es-of-relaxers

pretty much proves it.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 31 2014 at 9:59pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 12:53pm
I put some of my comments in blue and their

directly quoted supports below:

"The experiments on the viscosity of denatured egg

albumin solutions provide a possible explanation of the

difficulties encountered in the reversal of the

denaturation of egg albumin."

okay, it's a lot so it can be confusing. it essentially

proves that a alkaline subsance(The alkaline egg), the

addition of an acid, water being a base, and the

denaturing effects of heating, that NaOH will be

produced. (or something that behaves like NaOH, for

example Calcium Hydroxide.)

"Effect of Water Added before and after Heating.--If anacid

solution of albumin is diluted with water before it is heated, the

water has a much greater effect in lowering the viscosity than if

it is added after the heating of the more concentrated solution."

"Effect of Addition of Native Protein.--The addition of native,

salt-free egg albumin to albumin heated in acid has the same

sort of effect as the addition of NaOH."

Why? Because it in total combination makes it difficult

for the salt turning properties to completely dissolve,

meaning the salt compound and the compound that

behaves like salt (specifically NaOH) is still formed.

"Concentrated solutions of proteins in acid or alkali may

become very viscous on denaturation of the protein and

under suitable conditions a moderately viscous solution

can be converted by heating into a clear gel."

"The more acid the solutions the less viscous they are after

being heated and then cooled, until finally further addition of acid

makes them more viscous again and slightly opalescent. As in

other protein phenomena, after a certain point the addition of

acid has the same effect as the addition of salt."

also resulting in the clear color and gel consistency (aka

"clear colored viscious liquid". With out heat, the colors

would be "opalescent" With out heat, NaOH or similar

behaving compounds would not form.

"Effect of Addition of Native Protein.--The addition of native, salt-

free egg albumin to albumin heated in acid has the same sort of

effect as the addition of NaOH. "

Also NaOH's protein bond breaking properties are not

singularily reliant on the ph alone
. No where have i

said the ph is what causes the hair bonds to break in

this gel. Sodium bicarbonate would never have this

effect on the hair. Neither would sodium chloride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralHam
Lots of organic compounds are colorless and transparent in nature. Lots of them - sugar, salt, gelatin sheets, what have you. Color and transparency don't have anything to do with proteins being denatured. Or whatever it is that's trying to be established; this had been hard to follow.
"Concentrated solutions of proteins in acid or alkali may

become very viscous on denaturation of the protein and

under suitable conditions a moderately viscous solution

can be converted by heating into a clear gel."

All quotes were gotten here:

THE EFFECT OF DENATURATION ON THE VISCOSITY OF PROTEIN SYSTEMS BY M. L.

ANSON A~D A. E. MIRSKY (From tke Laboratories of The Rockefeller Institute for

Medical Research, Princeton, N. Y., and the ttospital of The Rockefeller Institute for

Medical Researck, New York) (Accepted for publication, December 2, 1931]

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 01 2014 at 1:02pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 2:00pm
cosmochica010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmochica010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 2:44pm
Is the black tea rinse still okay to do?
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by cosmochica010 cosmochica010 wrote:

Is the black tea rinse still okay to do?

Yes you can.  The TEA mentioned originally is (t)ri(e)thanol(a)mine, not tea leaves whose scientific name I can't recall at the moment.  I hope that clears up any confusion.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 5:36pm
TEA forms lye: Summary of Scientific facts that is easy and quick to read. All points are directly from scientific fact, and do no stray in anyway:

TEA is an amino alcohol.

TEA+Acid+water base+ flash heat= Lye, only in that exact order. Thick viscosity, sharply transparent clear color. Addition of artificial food coloring will show in that it will have tint, but not be cloudy at all

TEA+ water base+ flash heat+acid= no lye  more watery consistency, slightly opalescent, slightly cloudy

TEA+ Acid+ Oil or polymer base+ heat= no lye

No denatured Alcohol + no heating + waterbase+ acid= no lye thick viscosity, opalescent and cloudy

Based on different hair types including porositiy, thickness of hair strand, density, and curl type, directly effect the way lye and lye replacements effect individual hairs.

This is why cosmotologists take these into occount when choosing your relaxer strength. This is also why some hair types are still able to thrive using relaxers, despite the fact their protein bonds are being broken.

Some one with type 3c, thick hair strands and high porous hair may fall into the unaffected category. Other hair's are to fragile, and cannot tolerate any levels of lye at all. Some have mixtures of several in their hair.

If you have mixed hair types, this plays a role. The only area i got the bald spot in: low porosity, extremely fine, type 4c, low density very close to my edges.

Summary of facts that is easy and quick to read:

1. Relaxers and low/no lye relaxers have a chemical compound that Forms NaOH or functions the same way, and are equality effective in breaking hair protein bonds.

2. Low lye relaxers have been shown to dissolve the bonds of the hair cuticle, despite the fact there is only 2.5% concentration of NaOH.

3. Dispite the fact advertisers say the "no lye" is more gentle, there is no evidence that it actually is more gentle on the hair protein. It just works slower, but still dissolves the hair. calcium hydroxide or guanidine hydroxide.

4. Relaxers like Japanese perms Keratin treatments and Carribien dream relaxers still follow this category.

5. Caribbean Dream Relaxer uses cysteamine hydrochloride which permanently changes the texture of hair. http://www.megselegantline.com/?page_id=841

6. Japanese straighters use thermal reconditioning "Japanese hair straightening, also called thermal reconditioning, is a method of transforming even the curliest locks into pin-straight hair."
http://www.salontrendz.com/japanese-hair-straightening.html#WhatisJapaneseHairStraightening

7. Both gels, ecostyler gel and wetline are water based, like most relaxers and contain TEA and an acid. If relaxers were not water based, it would be impossible for certain relaxers like Carribean dream to change the hair texture.

8. Because of the clear viscious consistency, the proteins in the gel have been thermally denatured through heating.

9. Any Alkaline Alcohols become denatured when an acid is added to it(for ph balancing), and then heated. This is true of ethanol, ethanolamine, and Triethanolamine.

10. The depilatory ability of the salt, when formed is directly reliant on the initial alkalinity level. Alkalinity of 10-14, will form lye. Alkalinity of 7-9 will form non-depilatory (at most drying) salts, like sodium chloride, aka table salt. No dissolving, because no form of lye.

11. Alcohol has a natural resistance to turning into a salt compound(like NaOH). This is only relevant in oil based products, and water based products that have not been flash heated/thermally denatured.

12. Both Wetine and Ecostyler have been thermally denatured, hence their clear color and thick, viscous consistency.

13. Triethanolamine will turn into an ammonium salt compound under these conditions: TEA+Acid+water base+ heat= Lye, in that exact order. Specifically Triethanolamine Hydrochloride, aka Triethanolamine acid-- exact chemical structure as NaOH.

<----TEA acid.

14. Ph alone is not what makes NaOH, sodium hydroxide a chemical depilatory, and breaks hair protein bonds not matter what ph.

15. The fact that it is a compound with hydroxide is in the compound makes it able to dissolve hair strands. Both this in combination with high ph create the dissolving effect with relaxers.

16. TEA+ Acid+ Oil/ polymer/ emollient base+ heat= no lye, no texture change possible. Why? Silicones, oils, and polymers and other emollients are heat protectants for a reason.

17. TEA+ water base+ heat+acid= non clear opalescent gel, no lye. Why? NaOH only forms in TEA if the water based substance has had acid added before heating.

Solutions.

1. Use a gel that does not contain denatured alcohols, Use a gel that does not contain TEA or keratin Amino acids or denatured amino alcohols.

2.  Use a certifiably organic gel that although contains denatured alcohol, the alcohol was heated before adding it to formulation with acid.

The easiest way to identify what you want to be using, is the color will be naturally slightly opalescent(slight tint of color), without added colorings. With gels that contain no denatured alcohol or thermal heating, the consistency will be thick.

For gels that do contain denatured alcohol, the consistency will be more watery. This means it has been thermally denatured/ denatured with flash heat before being added to the formulation containing acid.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 02 2014 at 2:11pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 9:27pm

kccc close up: opalescent, viscious. No Alcohols, no thermal heating. No Lye Compound formed

Aubrey organic mandarin Magic:
slightly opalescent, more watery. No artificial coloring. Denatured alcohols, no thermal heating. Ph neutralizing acid safely neutralizes alkalinity of denatured alcohol. No Lye compound formed, though drying due to the fact it is still denatured alcohol.

Second ingredient is alcohol denatured:

Wet line: Clear, viscous/thick consistency. Denatured thermally, after addition of ph neutralizing acid. Forms Lye Compound.

Eco Styler Gel:
Forms lye compound. EA+Acid+water base+ flash heat= Lye , proof in thick viscosity and transparency.
Consistency is viscous. NOT opalescent, despite tint. Tint is due to added artificial coloring, to give the appearance of having olive oil in reality, olive oil is way at the bottom of ingredient list.  this is as clear as wetline, there is just artificial colorings in it, hence why it is so transparent you can see right through it, instead of cloudy, like kccc or Aubrey organic Mandarin Magic.

Ingredients: WATER (AQUA) , carbomer , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , PVP , glycerin , triethanolamine , Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate , polysorbate 20 , Tetrasodium Edta , Olive Oil , fragrance , Blue #1 , Yellow #11

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 01 2014 at 11:05pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 10:16pm
Sorry guys, someone informed me that the color coding actually made this harder to read. I am reposting this with edited font:

Why you may want avoid TEA in your water based hair products, depending on your hair's sensitivities:

Hi, everyone. I have previously posted my previous negative experiences with ecostyler gel causing me baldspots, due to my protien sensitivity, in my low porosity type 4 hair. While I was in search of products to use as a replacement, I ran across Wet line gel, which claimed to be alcohol free, and moisturizing. Many People recommened it as a protein free gel. After i still experienced continuous thinning and immediately quit the product. I was aware my hair hated proteins, due to the brittle crunchy feeling I got when I used them. Wet line didn't contain hydrolyzed wheat protein. And something wasn’t right. From the beginning, my hair was thinning and I wasn’t seeing hair coming out, just like with the Ecostyler gel.

it took me a very long time to notice what was in this product that was directly agitating what I assumed to be my protein sensitivity, since they marketed themselves as protein free and alcohol free. I had the gut feeling it was triethanolamine, which was proven to be an irritant, but was unable to find specific testimony, so I was more or less speculating maybe it had something to do with the alkaline ph at the time.

So I recently looked at the chemical structure of triethanolamine and did some thorough research. I discovered a few shocking things about the ingredients in this product, and how they work together: triethanolamine and polyacrylate acid. I will order my points from bad to worse.

WE ALREADY KNOW:

Toxic Chemicals, Materials and Carcinogens in Household Products: Triethanolamine: Toxic chemical in Household Cosmetics Products

TRIETHANOLAMINE || Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

We are told this is a moderate irritant, and has been shown to be a human skin toxin or allergent, and expected to cause non-reproductive organ toxicity, and has been linked to cancer. These have all been brushed off as moderate concerns though.

btw my post about ecostyler is on amazon, not this site. Before combating evidence, take your time to read everything and visit the sourced material.

FIRST:

Triethanolamine is a surficant. Yes it is a water soluble surficant. So are proteins, and some watersoluable silicones. Proteins in gel act as water soluble surficants. Coconut oil is a water soluable surficant. They all still latch on to the hair and plasticize it, and in many cases work against moisture as they are not moisturizers, but plasticizing emollients and moisturizing agents that need to work in conjunction with water in order to be effective in hydration. But you are still leaving this on your hair for a substantial amount of time, and depending on your hair type and sensitivities, Use Caution.

SECOND:

Now, look at the word, triETHANOLamine. Ethanol.

Ethanol is a drying alcohol. If any of you are reporting dryness and brittleness, this is what is affecting you, it isn't random.

"Ethanolamine is an organic compound that is naturally found in coconut oil and is a primary amine and primary alcohol"

"As I explained last week in The 5 Most Common Mistakes Even Skin Experts Make, it is well-established that ethanol can reduce water content via a form of water loss known as transepidermal water loss (TEWL) (1), lipid content via extraction and dissolution (2), and protein content via denaturation (3). These properties allow for ethanol to be an effective (and drying) penetration enhancer."

"Ethanol in itself isn’t harmful. It’s the DRYING effect that can lead to other problems."
FutureDerm - Is Ethanol in Skin Care Products Safe?

Still unconvinced??? Why is this ethanol actually drying? For an ethanol to be drying to the hair it must:

1. extract and dissolute lipids. What are lipids? Fatty ACIDS. I will elaborate on why this is what this gel does later.

2. be denatured. You may claim the ethanol in triethanolamine is not denatured. It comes from coconut, so it must not be denatured right? False. The fact that this is a clear gel means it was heated, and therefore denatured. These gels wouldn't be this clear if they didn't contain denatured alcohol. Below is a scientific study that shows the effect of denaturzation on the viscosity of protein systems. Note it also says some things about NaOH, which this product contains. No matter the amount of NaOH, it will always denature the protein systems in water based substances once heated. Once heated, that is when it forms a clear, gel consistency. This is where these products holding abilities and clear consistency come from.

THIRD:

"Triethanolamine is an aminoalcohol. Neutralize acids to form SALTS plus water in exothermic reactions."
Triethanolamine | 102-71-6

"The triethanolamine NEUTRALIZES fatty acids, adjusts and buffers the pH, and SOLUBILISES oils and other ingredients that are not completely soluble in water. Some common products in which triethanolamine is found are liquid laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids, general cleaners, hand cleaners, polishes, metalworking fluids, paints, shaving cream and printing inks"

"TEA is a fairly strong base: a 1% solution has a pH of approximately 10"

Triethanolamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"phs 10-14. depilatory. swell hairs as much as 10 times the original size; may dissolve hair."

http://images116.fotki.com/v715/phot...veproof-vi.jpg

Because TEA is the 3rd ingredient in this gel and has a ph of 10, Polyacrylate acid was used to balance the ph and neutralize TEA, and TEA make Polyacrylate acid water soluble. Unfortunately the combination of the two forms a drying effect on the hair-- it turns into SALT, aka Sodium Hydroxide, aka NaOH which is also water soluble, btw.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4143837AAcJ1Im
this source is reliable despite being on yahoo answers, as it was answered by a top contributor in the chemistry section.

It is also the main dissolving agent in lye relaxers. Lye= NaOH= Salt=Sodium Hydroxide. Ethanolamine is also a form of ammonia.
“Triethanolamine is produced from the reaction of ethylene oxide with aqueous ammonia”
Triethanolamine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The alcohol does have a natural resistance to turning into salt and ammonia, however. BUT ONLY when oil is added to the formulation as a base. It needs to be oil based. Gel is water based, including this one. Salt is already drying, let alone putting the main ingredient used in relaxers in your product.
“It is ethanolamine's primary alcohol characteristic that makes it possible to be suspended in a soy Oil base as neither sodium carbonate (a primary salt) or ammonia (a primary base) will dilute with oil.”

Conclusion.

Wet line. Very drying and in 3rd ingredient. The ingredient right after it, polyacrylate acid, meant to make up for the fact TEA had a depilatory ph of 10 that dissolves hair, forms a SALT compound called NaOH, aka lye or sodium hydroxide, commonly used as an agent to break bonds in the protein of the hair in hair relaxers. This is the case with all acids. This is just how triETHANOLamine reacts with acid, AND YOU JUST CAN'T PUT tEa in a hair product, with out adding some form of acidic compound to bring the ph down to a non-depilatory level. There are also many proven reports that TEA is an irritant, and has been linked to cancer. Hmmm.. Just like lye relaxers have been.

Let me repeat that in the most blatant way possible.

1. LYE relaxers, which active ingredient is SODIUM HYDROXIDE.
2. Relaxers have been linked to cancer.

3. THIS water based gel has ingredients, TRIETHANOLAMINE and POLYACRYLATE ACID which together, (unless formulated in an oil base, which this gel "WETLINE" is NOT, it's a water based gel, the first ingredient is water) form the exact same compound.

4. This gel has ingredients that forms a compound--> Sodium Hydroxide, Lye, NaOH, SALT. Whatever you want to call it.

5. Studies about Triethanolamine, already show "moderate" cancer link. Where is the cancer link coming from? Sodium Hydroxide.

6. low lye relaxers contain percentages of only 2.5% concentration Sodium hydroxide. They are considered a low risk on ewg.com, but still equally as effective as NaOH, and break bonds of the hair. They also contain heavy oils to help absorb some of the lye forming effect, but are still water based.

7. Sodium hydroxide contained in gel is at 5% concentration. Considered a moderate risk. Gel is water based carbomer would never be enough to absorb all the lye forming effects, because it is a WATER BASED product.

This product markets itself as being alcohol free, when it technically isn’t. Moisturizing, when it isn’t. Many people also claim this is a “Protein Free” styling gel. For you protein sensitive‘s, It has panthenol, which absorbs into the hair cortex similar to ethanol and plasticizes it, leaving a gummy waxy build up after awhile that causes dryness similar to protein and coconut oil can. Hope I helped you guys.
I amMrsPP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I amMrsPP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 10:49pm
Don't you have an account on Naturallycurly.com. I am a member  there and I saw the chemists disagreeing with everything you said in this post there if you the same person
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic