BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The voices in my head

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The voices in my head
    Posted: Sep 09 2013 at 4:58am

What’s Schizophrenia Like? A Woman Who Hears Voices Explains It Beautifully.

To all appearances, Eleanor Longden was just like every other student, heading to college full of promise and without a care in the world. That was until the voices in her head started talking. Initially innocuous, these internal narrators became increasingly antagonistic and dictatorial, turning her life into a living nightmare. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, hospitalized, drugged, Longden was discarded by a system that didn't know how to help her. Longden tells the moving tale of her years-long journey back to mental health, and makes the case that it was through learning to listen to her voices that she was able to survive.

x

http://www.intervoiceonline.org/

Sponsored Links

Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 6:54pm
saved
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote journeytolong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:26pm
I love her voice.
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:27pm
That was interesting, I've never heard of anyone taking that approach to treatment and being successful. I love hearing success stories with schizophrenia, and being able to hear someone fully articulate their experience Thumbs Up

This wouldn't work for everyone, but that's great she was able to get off meds.

Edited by Lite Brite - Sep 28 2013 at 7:34pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:29pm
Lucky for her
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:33pm
From Youtube..

Cathleen Walker 3 days ago

She was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia....she made that obvious. She had a Dissociative Disorder like Dissociative Identity Disorder. This is not treatable with meds and many people with it are misdiagnosed with schizophrenia by ignorant Dr's. You are right those of you who say Schizophrenia is more serious and a continued struggle but it needs meds and therapy and still plagues you.

Dissociative disorders (DD) are conditions that involve disruptions or breakdowns of memory, awareness, identity or perception. People with dissociative disorders use dissociation, a defense mechanism, pathologically and involuntarily. Dissociative disorders are thought to primarily be caused by psychological trauma.

The dissociative disorders listed in the American Psychiatric Association's DSM-5 are as follows:[1]

• Dissociative identity disorder (formerly multiple personality disorder): the alternation of two or more distinct personality states with impaired recall among personality states. In extreme cases, the host personality is unaware of the other, alternating personalities; however, the alternate personalities are aware of all the existing personalities.[2] This category now includes the old derealization disorder category.
  • Dissociative amnesia (formerly psychogenic amnesia): the temporary loss of recall memory, specifically episodic memory, due to a traumatic or stressful event. It is considered the most common dissociative disorder amongst those documented. This disorder can occur abruptly or gradually and may last minutes to years depending on the severity of the trauma and the patient.[3] Dissociative fugue (formerly psychogenic fugue) is now subsumed under the Dissociative amnesia category. It is described as reversible amnesia for personal identity, usually involving unplanned travel or wandering, sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. This state is typically associated with stressful life circumstances and can be short or lengthy.[2]
  • Depersonalization disorder: periods of detachment from self or surrounding which may be experienced as "unreal" (lacking in control of or "outside of" self) while retaining awareness that this is only a feeling and not a reality.
  • The old category of Dissociative disorder not otherwise specified is now split into two: Other specified dissociative disorder, and unspecified dissociative disorder. These categories are used for forms of pathological dissociation that do not fully meet the criteria of the other specified dissociative disorders, or if the correct category has not been determined.

Edited by Alias_Avi - Sep 28 2013 at 7:34pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:43pm
See tatee.  I told you them little people in your head be knowing!!!LOL

This is a cool thing to do on her part.  Maybe people will stop being scared and maybe she will shame the doctors into working a little harder to help people who just need to learn what they are trying to tell them and recognizing that there may be an actual REASON.

I honestly think its not just a result of trauma but more importantly a result of trying to suppress that trauma as a way to protect themselves. 

I think this is happening with two people I am very close to.  I try to encourage them to figure out what is really bothering them.  

Edited by kfoxx1998 - Sep 28 2013 at 7:44pm
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:53pm
It doesn't seem like she was experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder to me..at all though.

Schizophrenia can be episodic....
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2013 at 7:57pm
DID still scares me when I read about it.Cry
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply