Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The universal appeal of fresh prince

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:25am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Fresh Prince of Bel Air has amazing shelf life

When I was younger, I actually preferred Family Matters over Fresh Prince. Now, I can't even watch a full episode of FM

I guess it appealed to my youth whereas FP has timeless themes
i think the production quality and actors of nbc/fox shows in the 90s, well surpassed the production quality of abc shows of that era.
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:42am

I preferred Family Matters too Avi.

But now I can watch Fresh Prince and still giigle.
It was just a good show.

I remember that Frat episode like it was yesterday.

Nearly everyone on the show hadtheir own charm.
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:49am
will's character embodied the 90's spirit so much that EVERYONE could relate to him. the 90's was about self expression and doing ya own thang, which is what will was all about.  throw in his charming personality, good looks, GOAT supporting cast and excellent writing and you had a hit show.

mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:58am
I still watch fresh prince when the reruns come on, it was something about that show, eventhough they had money the parents didnt act bougie only Hilary and Carlton..lmao
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:58am
If I remember correctly FP started right after the 2nd Cosby...NBC had found a formula that worked in Cosby in the 80s,realized people wanted to see a successful 2 parent black family (after the struggling life in Good Times) and continued with that with FP in the 90s and it excelled.

This is probably why Married With Children was recast to portray a white family and not the original black family cast. NAACP was not having that after Cosby had defied that image.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:36am
Did we (black people ) watch more black shows then than today?

Was the black pride urbanmovement that was around during that time crucial to the shows success?

Was the formula more palatable and less threatening to white America?

Edited by afrokock - Jul 28 2014 at 9:37am
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:39am
IMO. yes. ^^^^^^^

dang. u edited. less threatening to white America? I think white folks were just as into the shows as black folks. Corporate saw that they were getting paid and said this is the time for blackness on TV.

Edited by newdiva1 - Jul 28 2014 at 9:44am
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:50am

I think it explored the social differences between economic status very well.

Everyone could identify with one of the characters on some level. In the earlier seasons it was somewhat of a stark contrast but as characters continued to develop I think they became more realistic. It helped people understand "the other side" better.

Bougie folk got to see that hood folk were well meaning, they just have access to different things so make different decisions to survive on a day-to-day basis. I think FP did a good job of showing the creativity, individuality and expression that comes from the hood. ie Will changing his school uniform.

Hood folk got to see that bougie folk....well bougie black folk....are also well meaning, have left the hood for good reason, and are still just as black as they are. (ie Carlton having to justify his blackness at the frat)

They touched on a lot of social issues gently while still getting the point across.

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:52am
that's true Miss B. I forgot they did tackle some issues.
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Did we (black people ) watch more black shows then than today?

Was the black pride urbanmovement that was around during that time crucial to the shows success?

Was the formula more palatable and less threatening to white America?
Yes, relatively speaking black people watched more black shows then vs now. The early 90s had a cultural explosion of black pride. Martin, Living Single etc showed this quite well. FP showed snippets of black pride too, but the show's main focus was comedy, not "black issues" so it was at a non-threatening level to white folk.

Another thing is these were all network shows, cable TV didnt have m(any)sitcoms so every dang body was watching the same 5 shows, at the same time.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic