Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The Ultimate Nit Removal Tutorial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mocharoni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote mocharoni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ultimate Nit Removal Tutorial
    Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 10:48pm
Let me begin by saying picking nits is a nasty job.  It's not for the faint hearted, but if I can do it so can you. I hate all bugs and related things. 

Know that if you're purchasing virgin hair, 9 times out of 10 it will have nits. I hardly believe anyone who says they got a nit free bundle from any of the vendors I've ordered from. I ALWAYS get nits. Only once did I not, and I didn't even have to pay for that hair (silkbaseclosures). 

The biggest nit offender IMO is B-dogg.  This is hair that I ordered in bulk. I sent it to Sam to be wefted. 

Now this is not going to be pretty.  So if you don't want to know, peruse the first page for another more appropriate post,K? I won't be offended.  But I would advise you to look and learn.

Here are your tools:

Any brand of ACV and olive oil is fine. 
Indian hair is very fine so you'll have to use the smallest nit comb possible to catch those suckers.
Rattail combs don't work.  You need something with very close teeth.  Lice combs can be found at drug stores and BSS stores.  I used the red one.

Pour equal amounts of ACV and OO into spray bottle.  You won't need much at all, maybe 3 oz total. Spray the hair, saturating it completely. I use a big bowl to catch the hair. Brush it thoroughly to distribute ACV/OO.

Yeah, I go outside for this. Now, I'd usually say let it sit for a number of hours to overnight.  But I was so not looking forward to doing this, I left it in that bowl for over a month (in my workshop).Embarrassed It had no ill effect on the hair that I can tell, but I wouldn't advise it.

I can spot nits on dry hair much easier than if it's wet. After you've applied the treatment, do not wet the hair! It's already oily, if you wet it, it's harder to manage.

Spread the weft across a table, starting at one end start combing.  Here's the secret; comb pulling toward your body, placing the comb underneath the weft like so:

*sing* "Myyyy B-dogg is poppin'.  It's poppin', it's poppin', IT'S POPPIN!  Seriously, you can hear them release from the hair.

Notice how I hold the weft, place the comb underneath and pull the comb back. 

Check it out
Gross, huh?

Continue combing the length of the weft, wiping the comb with a paper towel periodically. If the comb gets too yucky, use that little blue brush to clean it out. Or an old toothbrush would work fine.  Flip the weft over and do the other side.  Yes, just do it! They're not all out yet.  Here come the gross pics...

Blech!Dead You have 2 options at this juncture.

1. Don't order any hair from overseas.
2. Pay someone to clean your hair for you(good luck). 

In the mean time wash the hair.  Accordian pleat the weft and fasten with a clip.

I soaked the hair in water and baking soda first.  It was funky smelling. Then I washed the hair with clarifying shampoo.

Notice I'm rubbing the shampoo on the hair and squeezing it in.  This is no time to tangle your hair by being rough.

Rinse the hair, condition with something with slip, brush out, and hang to dry.

Is it clean?  Nope.

If you can see nits, then you will have to repeat the combing step again. Do not wet the hair.  Do not use ACV/OO. Dry comb the hair, both sided of the weft. The stubborn ones will require that you pull them off with your fingernail. Pull all the way down to the end of the hair shaft, they hang on to the bitter end.Angry

Here's the hair after it was dry. The bundles don't match, but it's clean hair.  That I guarantee.Thumbs%20Up

If anyone has a different way of doing this, please post your tips and pics here. 

Have a good night.

ETA link to post in the regular weave section  http://talk.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=277361

Edited by mocharoni - Aug 28 2010 at 5:28pm
Sponsored Links

pretty_14u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pretty_14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 11:59pm
Great tutorial!! Thanks!
Cali_Kia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali_Kia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 12:35am
For my Wags I shampooed it and put conditioner in it. Before rinsing out the conditioner, I took a nit comb similar to yours and combed both sides of the wefts, wiping the comb off after each stroke. Then I rinsed out the condtioner and let it air dry. There were still a little stragglers but few enough for me to pick them out with my fingers. And as for a tip: you can see the nits very clearly in sunlight. Its hard (but not impossible) to spot them while the hair is wet.
miiszjanae View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote miiszjanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 1:17am

this thread needs to be a sticky

*M&M* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *M&M* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 3:40am
^^^IA thanks for the detailed tutorial!Clap
MsMahoganyRed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMahoganyRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 7:40am
Great tutorial Mocha!  I also agree the technique in brushing is the key...this is how I have done it when needed - which was only 3 times - however great job with detailed pictures!!!
bkt2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkt2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 1:27pm
This is a very detailed post. Helps a ton. Thx
Misha4202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Misha4202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by bkt2004 bkt2004 wrote:

This is a very detailed post. Helps a ton. Thx
MooMonSTAR View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooMonSTAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 11:39pm
Nice Mocha!
LOVEmokha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOVEmokha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 2:55pm
oh. my. gosh. i wish i had seen this a few days ago!! i love this though. next time i purchase, i'm definitely going to use this and take my time prepping the hair before installing. cause i can guarantee that there are still nits in my hair .
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
  Share Topic