BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Strong Black Woman

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Strong Black Woman
    Posted: Feb 07 2013 at 1:04am
is a useless front. We can be strong for the sake of ourselves but to be strong to the point where we behave as if we are invincible and impervious to pain is backwards.

Strength is not gained at the expense of humanity. Even here, we behave as if hurtful words exchanged online are as effective as getting a feather thrown at you. Ladies, you are still talking to people whether you admit it or not. The fights that have happened here completely nullify the belief that "it is just the internet; it is not that serious."

You are not the invincible being you have tried to portray yourself as. You are human and that is perfectly fine.

QuoteAs racist and sexist in origin as it may be, contemporary black women perpetuate the myth of the STRONGBLACKWOMAN (SBW) for reasons very similar to our antebellum counterparts: It boosts our fractured self-esteems. As the granddaughters of the Civil Rights, Black Power, and Feminist movements, this is a difficult thing to admit. Most of us want to believe that we’re finally over some shit - that our egos are finally immune to daily assaults of racism and sexism - but that’s far from the case. We’ve just learned to suffer on the hush-hush […]

Perhaps one of the most loving things sistas can do for themselves is to erase this tired obligation of super strength. Instead, let’s claim our God/dess-given right to imperfections and vulnerability. As black women it’s time to grant ourselves our humanity.
Joan Morgan in When Chickenheads Come to Roost

Sponsored Links

ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2013 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Strength is not gained at the expense of humanity.

Exactly. I don't think of strength as suffering in silence. I think of strength as using your weaknesses  to persevere and accomplish goals despite whatever pain, trials, and tribulations one encounters. I think of strength as not choosing the route of a coward. I think of strength as the driving force that propels us forward. Having strength and proclaiming to be a strong black woman is in my eyes a beautiful thing. To go through what we go through in this world and still be able to be proud of ourselves and accomplish great feats is something that should be proclaimed, lauded, and celebrated.

Edited by ImThatDiva - Feb 07 2013 at 1:26am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply