BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Seamstress Circle [SEWING]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yes midna get a sharpener.  also, i'm sure you already know this...but ONLY use your fabric shears/blades for cutting fabric.

YUP. I'm getting a sharpener purely because I'm afraid someone will come in my room, see my shears, and dull it on paper or hair! Angry
Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 9:21am
glad you didnt call it the sewing circleLOL

10pts for whoever knows the reference
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:58am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i also think people don't respect the need to press press press especially where any seems or curves will be.  pressing will mos def make the difference between looking crafty vs professional...
OMF YES!! Or clipping notches where your curved seams will be. It really is the little touches-- especially if you don't have a serger. I've wanted to try "french" to give a finished look on the reverse, but it seems a bit time consuming.

I'd definitely try on a small project-- like a pillow though.

And those panels on pg1 are TOO cute.

Eta: Bent scissors save wrists.

Edited by nekamarie83 - Mar 12 2014 at 11:00am
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:54pm
I wish I could sew.....I may take it up in the summer while I do absolutely nothing...
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 2:21pm
I haven't sewn fabric since high school home ec.
I bought my machine to  use   to make wigs (2 1/2)
I use my moms antique singer in wood cabinet... for decoration lol
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 2:47pm
I want to learn. It would be cool to whip up curtains and such for a home. What's a good starter machine?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 3:03pm
^^^ i had a basic brother 10 stitch. the sewing was smooth, tension accurate and it covered all the basic bases. unless you're trying to do clothing construction, home projects with "heavy" decor fabric, embroidery, massive quilting, etc -- it's really versatile. 

i used mine with light to medium weight fabrics (cotton, linen, twill, jersey, etc the heaviest was duck cloth) and made pillows, pillow covers, skirts, shirts, a baby bag, chair slip covers, aprons... 

now that i use heaver fabrics, i have "project runway" brother. why? because it was on sale and the feed dogs can grip and steer my fabric and i don't have to worry about thread snaps and skipped stitches. in addition, i'm also able to do decorative stitches, light embroidery, pique stitching for edges... blah blah blah, easy load bobbin, self threading needle, led lights-- so it's not radiating heat. 

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

glad you didnt call it the sewing circleLOL

10pts for whoever knows the reference

I almost did. But I was like, 'too generic!' LOL

I wanted some alliteration too but I couldn't think of a word that begins with S and has a definition that provides a sense of camaraderie so hey, audio alliteration!
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 4:59pm
I nearly bought that one, Neka! Brother was originally my first choice since it was more affordable and I ignored Singer since some people say Singer is more of its name than its quality.

But I wanted a sewing machine that will grow with me. A sewing machine that will be effective when I'm starting simple and dinky little projects and be just as effective when I'm making a nice coat!

I learned things like a metal skeleton being imperative to a machine's ability to do heavy duty work and this machine consistently got the highest praise all around the internet. I usually check Amazon for reviews but I considered this an investment and did my research.

After months of researching, I never once changed my mind about this machine being my machine of choice. The price went up on Amazon during the holidays making it $300 and it usually sells elsewhere for $200+ (I've seen it on sale for $400. Yikes!), but I'm patient and it went down to $170. Strike~!

Anyway, to describe her, she is computerized, LED light, automatic needle threader, has about 100 stitches, and runs like a smooth and quiet dream.

That's my baby, Miss Singer 7258.
She really does sing~

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I wanted some alliteration too but I couldn't think of a word that begins with S and has a definition that provides a sense of camaraderie so hey, audio alliteration!
Syndicate?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style