Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > My Spirituality > Inspirational Scriptures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The Risk of Obeying God

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Risk of Obeying God
    Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 8:58pm

The Risk of Obeying God

By Dr. Charles Stanley

Read | Luke 5:1-11

As Christians, we can waste our lives standing on faith’s shoreline, never venturing beyond ankle-deep water. There we have little need for the Lord.
After all, we are safe on the beach, far from the danger of high waves and storms. But believers who release themselves into deeper waters of obedience need God desperately.

By casting oneself farther offshore, the Christian relinquishes control of his life. No longer can he pretend to determine his own fate, whether in regard to career choices, financial decisions, or church involvement. God is Captain of the boat, whereas the believer is the obedient first mate. Will storms come? Yes. Will the Captain at times make difficult requests? Yes. Will the first mate sometimes feel scared? Yes. But the surrendered believer experiences Christ more intimately than someone on shore can; he receives a boatload of God’s goodness and blessings.

Most churchgoers easily claim, “I’ve yielded my life to Christ.” To actually live out those words, however, is more difficult. We want to cling to a measure of control in case God doesn’t work events to our satisfaction. Too many Christians are content merely to dip their toes into faith because they fear life might not turn out according to their plan. But how much greater their loss will be if life doesn’t turn out according to God’s plan. He can do much more with a surrendered existence than a sheltered one.

The Christian life becomes exciting when we wade into water so deep that our feet no longer touch the bottom. Then we must stand on God’s promises.

Sponsored Links

iluvmihair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmihair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 3:05am
Thank u Nella! You know, sometimes I get confused about this because I feel like, well is it wrong to go after what you want? In my opinion, I don't think it's wrong to have a plan (without one the people perish) and to work your plan (faith without works is dead), but the main thing is to allow God to be over ALL. If He says no to something, then let it be no. If you feel Him taking you in another direction, then move. If your plan is taking you outside of what the Word of God requires, then that is a red flag as well. Hopefully this helps somebody, prayerfully what I wrote even makes sense to you guys Embarrassed
nella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by iluvmihair iluvmihair wrote:

Thank u Nella! You know, sometimes I get confused about this because I feel like, well is it wrong to go after what you want? In my opinion, I don't think it's wrong to have a plan (without one the people perish) and to work your plan (faith without works is dead), but the main thing is to allow God to be over ALL. If He says no to something, then let it be no. If you feel Him taking you in another direction, then move. If your plan is taking you outside of what the Word of God requires, then that is a red flag as well. Hopefully this helps somebody, prayerfully what I wrote even makes sense to you guys Embarrassed

It makes total sense Clap. Thank you for sharing Heart
Oladunni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oladunni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2013 at 6:58pm
I love and appreciate your post.

I heard a message similar to this not so long ago.
If you stay at what your great at, you don't need faith, and without faith it is impossible to please God.
Have faith and everything will work out for the best...

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 12:07am
Originally posted by iluvmihair iluvmihair wrote:

I don't think God says no to us.... When I was a teen, I read that in India people believe that the only word God says is YES. Not yes to our wishes, but yes to our thoughts, so if you think you cannot achieve anything, God can only show you that you are right. Everywhere in the bible it says that whatever we wish for, we only have to believe that we have it (faith) and we'll have it. So, the fact that He only says yes means that he only points out that if our thoughts are negative (lack of faith) we will continue to receive negative results.

I find interesting what you wrote, iluvmihair, but the thing is, when do you know if God wishes you to go in another direction?

I find the answer to that on Philippians 4:8

"whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things "

I believe God wants us to be good, because if we are good, we can go to Heaven to be with Him. I don't think he wrote our future or destiny, because if he had, what would have been the point of creating us? 
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2014 at 7:52am
Thank you for posting this Nella.

I do believe that, like any loving parent, God says "no" sometimes.
I remember reading the following from James 4:

"Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

It follows that God has to say "no" sometimes for things that are wrong for us and others. From simple things, like when you were a kid, and prayed that you got all 150 items on your Christmas list.
Or for serious things- like praying for a man that belonged to someone else. Women say things like this. "Oh his wife's just a stay at home mom. She doesn't understand him. He'd be better off with me." Blah, blah, blah. So wrong. God is never going to say yes to that. And chances are, if you get him that way, the next one will take him from you that very same way.

I think the hard part is obeying. We are by nature children of wrath- we want to do what WE want to do. And yet, if we do not obey, there are consequences.

At least God is just. There is no justice in this world. It's all about which side has the most money. The money always wins. Truth and justice have very little to do with it.

nella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 10:57am
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

Thank you for posting this Nella.

I do believe that, like any loving parent, God says "no" sometimes.
I remember reading the following from James 4:

"Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

It follows that God has to say "no" sometimes for things that are wrong for us and others. From simple things, like when you were a kid, and prayed that you got all 150 items on your Christmas list.
Or for serious things- like praying for a man that belonged to someone else. Women say things like this. "Oh his wife's just a stay at home mom. She doesn't understand him. He'd be better off with me." Blah, blah, blah. So wrong. God is never going to say yes to that. And chances are, if you get him that way, the next one will take him from you that very same way.

I think the hard part is obeying. We are by nature children of wrath- we want to do what WE want to do. And yet, if we do not obey, there are consequences.

At least God is just. There is no justice in this world. It's all about which side has the most money. The money always wins. Truth and justice have very little to do with it.

Emphasis on bolded statements. Well said Clap
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic