BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The RED Hair Color Family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RED Hair Color Family
    Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:00am

Red is the easiest color to acheive but with so many different bands, shades and types of hair dye on the market, it can get confusing. This thread is specifically for those that are looking to get that perfect shade of red without confusion.

Before you buy the supplies you'll need to do two things

1. Make sure you hair is in good condition!!! Damaged hair will not color well and it could leave you with uneven, quick fading color and severe damage!!!

2. Determine your natural haircolor level and undertone. Look at your hair indoors for the level and outdoors for the undertone in sunlight using the chart below as a reference. For example my hair is a level 2/3 with red undertones.

Be sure to write this information down for future reference.

Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:26am

Q: What if my hair has been previously dyed or bleached?

A:Depending on what your current hair color is and how much new growth you have this could be tricky. If your hair is bleached up to a level 7/8 you'll be able to color over it. Anything higher than that and a filler will be needed to keep you color from turning a weird gross pink/grey/brown shade. I use a rinse ( like adore, jazzing, rage n' react) in a color that has the same undertone as the color I'm going for. Just apply the color for a few minutes (no heat), rinse, air dry.

Hair that has been dyed dark colors or a color that isn't in the red/orange family will need to be removed (ie color remover, bleach bath etc) before the new color is applied. So if your was dyed blue but you want to go pillarbox red, you'll need to fade it out. Putting red dye over blue will turn it a brown....a not so pretty brown.

Q: My hair is permed/relaxed/texlaxed can I dye my hair?

A:  Yes and no. Of course your hair needs to be healthy but you'll also have to wait at least two weeks before you can color. Read the precautions and warnings on these products before you consider dyeing. Coloring hair that has been texturally altered willl require a lot of extra care. Be sure that you can keep up with a good hair care regimen and prepare to start stretching out your touch-up times so applications don't get overlapped causing major breakage.

Edited by RedSoxtober - Dec 19 2012 at 5:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 1:35am
Types of Red Haircolor: Permenant

Shades in the red/orange family range from Level 2 to Level 7/8 and come in 5 shade bases (get your colorwheels out). Below are the color groups and the levels that each range. Next to the group name are the abreviation(s) that appearl next to the shade name For example: Sunset Red 5RO is a level 5 Red Orange. Some shades may have another number like 560 or 5.60 RO.

Red Violet (RV, RBV) - Ranges from Levels 2-5. Easy to use for those that want to add a bit of color but nothing too intense.

Red Brown (RB) -These are best for those that want to enhance their natural haircolor, cover grey and range from levels 2-6.

Intense Red (IR or RR) - These have the most red pigment in them and are Level 5/6. Some may have an additive usually in creme form to add to the haircolor to make it a bolder red. Some require pre-lightening on darker haircolors. These require a the most upkeep to stay vibrant. I suggest picking up a red rinse to keep the color fresh.

Red Orange (RO, O, OR) - The brightest of the bunch and range from level 4-8. Some shades may require pre lightening on dark hair. This color family may be too bright for some people but, do tone down a after a few shampoos. If bright is some you like, I suggest picking up an orange rinse to use on wash days.

Neutral Red (NR) - This is more of a brown ranging around level 4-6. Normally used for those who have bleach blonde hair (level 9+) and require a tint back (color correction) to their natural color.

Copper/Gold (G, NG, RG)- This is the lightest group ranging from level 5-8 and is also known as strawberry blonde. These require pre-lightening on darker hair colors.

Edited by RedSoxtober - Dec 26 2012 at 1:43am
darealtipwifey1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darealtipwifey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 2:01am
Thank you so much! This was so helpful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 2:27am
Originally posted by darealtipwifey1 darealtipwifey1 wrote:

Thank you so much! This was so helpful.
 You're welcome! Smile There's still more info to come! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:38am

Vegetable Dyes (aka semi-permenant dye, rinse)

With bold haircolor being quite mainstream, there's a number of companies to choose from. I'm going to list the ones I have used in the past.

MANIC PANIC http://www.manicpanic.com/- This stuff has been around since the 70's and is easy to find in most cities. The first time I used was in the mid 90's when it was a gel and they had only a few colors. Now, it's a cream (more like a lotion consistancy to me) and in a bunch of colors some that glow under a blacklight. I'm personally not a fan of this brand due to a few problems. 1. The color fades too quickly 2. The dyes separate and shift in the jars unopened. If you do buy this brand, please check for the color separating or changing. (for example the orange shades turn brown, the dye separates causing white swirls.)

SPECIAL EFFECTS- NOt sure what happened to their website. Looks like they've shut down Confused. If you want bright, bright, bright, hair, this brand is (or was) it. It cost a bit more than the others but, well worth it. It's like a creamy lotion consistancy, a little goes a long way and lasts a long while (with good care). Hi-Octane Orange was my favorite in this brand. I used it straight up on level 9 bleached hair and used it to freshen up when I used a level 6 Red Orange hair color (Clairol Torrids in Audacious Red....discontinued).

JEROME RUSSELL PUNKY COLOUR http://jeromerussell.com/product/punky-color/- My personal favorite. This brand used to come in many colors and two formulas; Creme and gelle. It only come in creme nowadays and may be hard to find locally. It's a thick, creamy consistancy (works like a deep conditoner) and is true to color. My favorites (in the red family) were Flame, RED RED, and Fire.

DIRECTIONS by La RICHE- http://www.lariche.co.uk/directions-hair-colour - This is a UK brand very similar to Punky Colour from the shade names to the consistancy. Rare to find locally but, lots of places sell this online.

ADORE by CREATIVE IMAGE- http://www.creativeimagesystems.com/adore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=60 - This is found at a lot of local BSS. It's a runny gel like consistancy but true to color and cheap. If you have thick hair or medium to long hair (APL+) buy two bottles, apply to dry hair, and use a plastic cap with heat to get better longer lasting results. My favorite reds are Wild Cherry 069 , Raging Red 070 and Intense Red 071.

Edited by RedSoxtober - Jan 02 2013 at 3:37am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 3:36am
Clairol Jazzing- Same liquid gel consistancy as Adore, found at SALLY's and most local BSS. There used to be a quite a few shades but many have been discontinued over the past few years. Best works with heat. Cherry Cola was a favorite of mine but it's discontinued at SALLY's. Some local BSS will have the the discontinued shades.

Fusion Kollection Rage and React - Found mainly at local BSS in a bunch of colors (hard to find unless you're in NYC as far as I know). Similar to Adore but with larger bottles. They do require heat for good saturation. This brand is good for adding to condioners for a color boost or on theri own.

KISS Express Hair Color- Found at local BSS and simialr to, Jazzing, Adore, Fusion...it's a liquid gel and has a bit of protein in it ( it may come with a skin protectant packet to prevent staining)  to help to get the color to last a bit longer. The directions may say not to use heat...haven't used this brand in a while so I can't rememebr the specifics. My favorites were Crimson (a shade I used frequently with this product) and Sunset Orange.

.....trying to remember if there are more....  
dOLLish. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dOLLish. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 12:37am
I used to love Clairol Jazzing's rinses. I hated that they discontinued some of the colors and it became harder to find my color (spiced cognac Tongue).
I've been itching to go red without the committment.

Thanks for creating this post and sharing this information! Star
LittleBirdy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBirdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 8:47am
Should I deep condition the extensions after I bleach and dye? And if I do what should I use to preserve the color?
4ever214ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ever214ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:20pm
I'm brown skinned but I want kind of a vibrant red color. Not like crazy Rihanna red but something pretty and vibrant.. I wear back to back sew-ins so mostly it'll be the weave that gets the color but also my horseshoe left out which is about 1B in color. How would I go about this and what colors do you guys suggest??
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>