BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Plight of Black Womanhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Plight of Black Womanhood
    Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:37pm
Look, this is not supposed to be a diss thread re black women. I simply lifted the whole topic from LS as I thought it would be a good discussion to have (I know we have had many of them but another one won't hurtLOL)

Do you agree with the below or think otherwise? not my words below.

c&p

In your opinion, what are some of the biggest problems or issues that Black women face today? Do you think these problems can be fixed? What are you going to do to fix these issues?

Some answers:

*The Pay Gap, Single Motherhood, Choosing Career or Love and Our Children's Safety

*The biggest problem black woman face today is poverty.

*Not being down for each other. I see it all the time at work. HELP a sister who needs or asks for it,not tear her down to make yourself feel better or somehow believe you are above her,because she comes from a different or hard background.

I do my part by helping a sister who asks me for it. I try to be there for someone who obviously just wants someone to listen or wants to talk to an older woman about an issue they aren't comfortable going to their mother/friends with. My daughter's lil friend comes to mind. Some of these women are NOT capable of properly teaching a little girl about cleanliness and maintaining herself. I was raised by a damned cleanliness Nazi,so I talked to her. 

This never ending media sh*t of BW hard up,thirsty for men and other foolishness. It needs to stop.Now. Immediately. It ain't hard out here for us like some try to make it.
The mentality of being a stripper/ho-ing will get you far. I go on Instagram w/coworkers at work and it's funny how these young girls idolize these women. Now to be fair,I lived a wild and hustling life. I will always respect a woman on her hustle,illegal or not. BUT that life can never take the place of having a degree/legitimate employment. The 40 year old with a degree/job will always slay the damn near 40y/o stripper with nothing to show for the years spent in the club.

*The light skin/dark skin debate

*I think a lot of the problems Black women face in certain workplaces can be resolved by encouraging more Black women to get into IT or other industries that encourage self-employment.

*Well if we start with what Wig has said, fixing these things will not happen overnight and will require black men and women working together. Some of them aren't particularly exclusive to black women such as pay gap and career v love, those go beyond what just black men and women can do.

*Ride-or-die mentality/low self-esteem

Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

*Not being down for each other. I see it all the time at work. HELP a sister who needs or asks for it,not tear her down to make yourself feel better or somehow believe you are above her,because she comes from a different or hard background.

This all day.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:44pm
^^i agree...not enough unity.  

to add, if you don't conform to joining a church, there are not many ways to foster healthy, positive relationships when it is in our nature(as it should be) to be skeptical of others.  black women should start putting women first.

Edited by ms_wonderland - May 04 2013 at 7:44pm
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

to add, if you don't conform to joining a church, there are not many ways to foster healthy, positive relationships when it is in our nature(as it should be) to be skeptical of others.

Not true.. they have atheist meet ups and there are other religions besides Christianity. What about book clubs, fitness classes etc
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

to add, if you don't conform to joining a church, there are not many ways to foster healthy, positive relationships when it is in our nature(as it should be) to be skeptical of others.

Not true.. they have atheist meet ups and there are other religions besides Christianity. What about book clubs, fitness classes etc

i'm not saying that they don't exist but they're not common in the hood and i don't think many women from places like that take the initiative to start things like that.  In my experience, stuff like that was not really poppin off.  there's a lot of worrying about self, rather than building constructive things to unite.

eta:to add to that...where do we congregate in large numbers other than church?  the club?

we need more things for "us".  so many places are all(mainly) white...walk into a book store and you see all these white people networking, enjoying coffee bc they take over everything.  we don't have enough places that are just for us.

Edited by ms_wonderland - May 04 2013 at 7:56pm
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 7:59pm
I agree.

The issue lies in folk simply not co-signing unity and togetherness but actually practicing it. That takes changing of mindsets and that is hard for many people to do.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 8:09pm
Smhh look at all the black places they shut down in nyc just 2 years ago.   I think networking is big terry shouldn't put down tamika just cause she's from the hood. Tamika might have something to offer.

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 8:10pm
I think more black women should consider some form of therapy as well. So many damaged women being held back by something
UrbanElegance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanElegance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

I think more black women should consider some form of therapy as well. So many damaged women being held back by something

IA
Allure. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Allure. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2013 at 11:14pm
Healthcare is one issue. Too many black women are not taking responsibility for their mental or physical health.  Many end up dying from preventable diseases (heart disease, diabetes...) or cancers that could of been cured if caught early enough (cervical, breast...etc).

On top of that, many black women also suffer from mental exhaustion; afraid to seek therapy because they don't want to appear weak. This leads to a lot of us becoming stressed, depressed, having low self esteem, self doubt and/or an overall cold demeanor. 

Edited by Allure. - May 04 2013 at 11:21pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>