BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The Only Black Person in the Office

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kerysdream7 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote kerysdream7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Only Black Person in the Office
    Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 12:39am
31 Things You Have To Deal With As The Only Black Person In Your Office

1. You encounter a lot of ideas that have just clearly not been thought through.

NBC / Via pinkmanjesse.tumblr. com

NBC / Via pinkmanjesse.tumblr. com

2. You’ve noticed that people get weirdly uncomfortable when describing someone as black and quickly say “African-American” instead.

As if black is an insult. SMH.

black-culture.tumblr.com

4. You imagine all the hours of your life you could get back if you could remove this alienating small talk from your day.

miscellaneousrelevan ce.tumblr.com

5. You find yourself teaching some very basic lessons.

NBC / Via glitterlion.tumblr.c om

6. But you’re always nervous about asserting yourself because it’s interpreted as being too “loud” or “aggressive” or “angry,” no matter what you say.

AMC / Via mandronia.tumblr.com

7. You have to deal with that one co-worker who insists on speaking to you in corny, outdated slang.

PBS / Via arthurtimothyread.tu mblr.com

PBS / Via arthurtimothyread.tu mblr.com
3. When you show up with a different hairstyle, the ENTIRE OFFICE LOSES ITS sh*t.

-of-an-idiot" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">abg-reactiongifs.tumblr. com

8. Everybody expects you to have the Black History Month event/bulletin board planned months ahead of time.

ABC / Via leoonemoretime.tumbl r.com

ABC / Via leoonemoretime.tumbl r.com

9. You’ve been told you look like [insert any black pop culture figure here], whether or not you look like them. At all.

kanyedaily.tumblr.co m
You smile and take it as a compliment but you’ve begun to take note of all the co-workers who have LITERALLY NEVER LOOKED AT YOUR FACE.

10. You may have also been told that you remind someone of their black childhood babysitter…

NBC / Via madeupmonkeysh*t.tum blr.com

11. People feel compelled to slip into conversation that they know someone does [insert do-gooder activity here] involving “underprivileged” communities.

Netflix / Via uproxx.com

12. Co-workers who never talk to you about the news ask you about stories like Trayvon Martin’s death.

AMC / Via libcity.tumblr.com
Or whenever a Sad Black Movie™ comes out, they are sure to let you know they saw it. As if you would want to discuss any of these traumas with them.

13. You hear offensive sh*t all the time and you feel alone when you realize no one else is going to say anything.

blackgificence.tumbl r.com

14. You go out to happy hour with the few co-workers who actually hold you down and then one drink in someone says some side-eye-worthy sh*t.

rinburevolution.tumb lr.com
The betrayal. The heartbreak.

15. You’re always nervous about any karaoke invites because someone inevitably does a rap song that will have you holding your breath.

officialnpr.tumblr.c om

If only you could carry this girl in your pocket.

vine.co

16. Multiple people have gone up to you and felt compelled to note, “I really do think Lupita is the most beautiful woman in the world.”

You’re just trying to use the printer, not give a lecture on the exotification of Lupita Nyong’o.

17. You find yourself explaining basic things like ~personal space~.

howtobeterrell.tumbl r.com

howtobeterrell.tumbl r.com
Tumblr user HowToBeTerrell succinctly notes: “Look at how disgusted he is by the very notion that she could touch his hair too without permission.”

18. Personal space, y’all.

NBC / Via bongsandbooks.tumblr .com

19. In a moment of frustration, you use the n-word under your breath at your desk.

shipperwolf1.tumblr. com
One of your white co-workers hears you. It’s hella awkward.

20. You worry that you might snap one day.

But you’re reminded of the cautionary tale set out by The Chappelle Show’s Vernon Franklin, When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong.

Comedy Central / Via dinuguan.tumblr.com

21. You catch whispers of the suggestion that you were an “affirmative action hire” and somehow unqualified to be there.

FOX / Via attitude.co.uk
You refrain from asking them what it’s like to swim in their own mediocrity to save them from any more embarrassment.

22. There’s the awkward moment when white co-workers are at the water cooler, laughing about something, then get suspiciously quiet when you walk up.

-tired-of-your-sh*t-made" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">totallytransparent.t umblr.com

23. Or when a company outing takes place at a venue you’re HELLA uncomfortable with. A retreat on a plantation. Drinks at a country club.

24. Even though it’s a dumb stereotype, you do feel some type of way about eating things like fried chicken or watermelon in the office.

NBC / Via chantdownbabylon.tum blr.com
I mean, you eat them anyway because C’MON, but still.

25. There’s also the awkwardness that happens when maybe you do fit their stereotypes.

youngmoneygifs.tumbl r.com
So what if I don’t know how to swim, I’m still stylin’ on you.

26. There’s the absurd moment when a co-worker who listens to rap more than you do declares themselves “blacker” than you.

iambeyinspired.tumbl r.com

27. And the severe bugging of their eyes when you say you’re ambivalent about The Beatles/The Stones/Neutral Milk Hotel.

themobilemovement.tu mblr.com
Related: The severe bugging of their eyes when you have heard of/actually enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel.

28. The uncomfortable moment when there is some sort of music and dance situation with your co-workers and people look at you like you’re Rhythm McGee.

Next time someone says something like this to you, just pull an Aziz Ansari.

29. The worst part of it all though is just being the only person, period. When all of these things happen, you have no one to Gchat/subtweet/side-eye with.

madeupmonkeysh*t.tum blr.com

30. When you’re “the only one of” anything SO MUCH ENERGY goes into analyzing and trying to understand what’s happening around you, even if everything is “fine.”

instagram.com
You have no one to confer with so you can’t tell if you’re being sensitive or imagining things or what. And that mental toll — the amount of energy it takes to analyze everything around you — takes away from your ability to actually do your work.

31. But when your job finally does hire another black person thooooo:

badgirlsbadgirls.tum blr.com

Sponsored Links

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 1:37am
I never understood why more black people don't celebrate Kwanzza
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 2:18am
I so love 31, but get a sad when they want to keep their distance so it doesnt seem like we're creating a black coalition to take over the world

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 2:23am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I never understood why more black people don't celebrate Kwanzza

Cause aint nobody tryna get canned corn for christmas.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 2:39am
I was so glad when they hired the Black tech LOL

Now I have someone to "you know how they do..." with, lmfao.

He's cool af
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 2:55am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I so love 31, but get a sad when they want to keep their distance so it doesnt seem like we're creating a black coalition to take over the world

THIS!!!! I was just about to post that. It really sucks when they keep their distance making me look crazy when I try to be friendly. 
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:10am
im just gonna go ahead and 5 star this threadLOL
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:20am
omg number 3 & 12!!!!! 
newin2009 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newin2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:57am
Lmao, and true!!! I deal with so many of them.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 6:14am
I'm not even in an office and I deal with this bullshit!

We can't escape!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style