Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

THE OFFICIAL HIV/AIDS THREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cvzx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cvzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:00pm
Great thread
Sponsored Links

SweetNovember* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:02pm
I think a lot of black people don't take HIV seriously.  They think it's a lie from the white man or only unhealthy people get it. Or they think since they haven't got it yet they won't get it. Plus there are so many weird "religions" these days people think they can just pray it away.
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I think a lot of black people don't take HIV seriously.  They think it's a lie from the white man or only unhealthy people get it. Or they think since they haven't got it yet they won't get it. Plus there are so many weird "religions" these days people think they can just pray it away.

I don't think people in general take it seriously. I wonder, on average, how many people even actually go and get tested atleast once a year.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:06pm
My question is... if a number of people don't know their infected, then how would these researchers know what number that is? Geek

Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Hey fam,
It is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans with HIV does not know that he or she is infected.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

I don't think people in general take it seriously. I wonder, on average, how many people even actually go and get tested atleast once a year.

I ain't gonna lie, I never got tested until I felt I had the need (I was dealing with this sneaky idiot who thought it was okay to remove the condom while I wasn't looking or always try to put it in before he put a condom on Dead *puke*) so I got tested after that incident and then six months later. But other than that I've always used condoms so I've never felt the need to get tested.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

True...even though it impacts every race, black people, by the odds have so much more to be worried about and their ignorance is really tragic. When we have group drinking sessions the topic comes up sometimes and the shyt that ppl say baffles me.

Blk ppl need to be more health conscious overall.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Jan 01 2013 at 4:11pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

My question is... if a number of people don't know their infected, then how would these researchers know what number that is? Geek

Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Hey fam,
It is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans with HIV does not know that he or she is infected.  

I've always wondered that. A lot of these statistics are BS. Maybe they're just estimating based on the number of people who are confirmed carriers.
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:16pm

A high school friend of mine has it from birth. she is now married and currently pregnant with her second child. Her first is about 9 months old. Im happy she was able to find love. I dotn know her kids or husbands status

ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:17pm
I've always wondered too but I'm not a statistician so I can't call it.

As far as black people being more health conscious over all, ITA.  My parents are only in their 60s and both trying to manage potentially terminal illnesses.  I workout almost every day and eat clean just because I know I have it coming from both sides.  Most of my black friends tease me about it and I shake my head.  I love to eat but I'm not going to use a fork to dig my own grave.  
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:25pm
Question for younger ladies:  Are you embarrassed to carry condoms?  My daughter would be horrified.  She didn't even want to go on birth control for her periods because she said other kids would thing she was a ho.  I'm just curious if this thinking is prevalent with sexually active women.  

I can remember feeling that way up to like 20 years old.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style