BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

THE OFFICIAL HIV/AIDS THREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE OFFICIAL HIV/AIDS THREAD
    Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:48pm
Hey fam,
I recently read that *young people ages 13-39 accounted for 39% of all new HIV infections in 2009.  The first two things I thought about when I read that were my daughter and many of you.  It is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans with HIV does not know that he or she is infected.  

There are so many misconceptions and things that as I don't even really understand as a healthcare professional.  So I want to dedicate a thread to HIV/AIDS where all questions are welcome, no teasing or ridicule is allowed, where we encourage each other to get tested, share information and most of all remove stigma and educate ourselves.  

So welcome.  Ask away.  Answer away.  Lurk away.  Get educated, get tested and get treated.  *Early diagnosis saves lives and while there is not yet a cure, very effective treatments are available that are helping people live long healthy lives.  

*information taken from the January 2013 issue of Essence

Edited by ThatGurlD - Jan 01 2013 at 1:03pm
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:51pm
hmm..i should text some people to make sure they wrapped it up last night
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:54pm
Here's something that baffles me a bit.  I read a great story about a young woman who was diagnosed at age 17 and is now 26 and engaged with a 3-year-old son.  Both her fiance and son are negative.  How is this possible?  She is on medication which I also read can reduce the risk of transmission by as much as 96% but I thought the virus would spread to the fetus.  Can someone better explain this to me?  

BTW I think it is great that this couple is living a happy, healthy life!  I always thought the diagnosis would pretty much take over your life.  Glad to see it's not so.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Here's something that baffles me a bit.  I read a great story about a young woman who was diagnosed at age 17 and is now 26 and engaged with a 3-year-old son.  Both her fiance and son are negative.  How is this possible?  She is on medication which I also read can reduce the risk of transmission by as much as 96% but I thought the virus would spread to the fetus.  Can someone better explain this to me?  

BTW I think it is great that this couple is living a happy, healthy life!  I always thought the diagnosis would pretty much take over your life.  Glad to see it's not so.

there is medicine that they administer to prevent children from receiving the virus.  i do not remember the specifics but i remember learning about it in college and how it works. 
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:03pm
I know someone who died yesterday morning. Apparently, she rarely took her ARVs

Edited by Yardgirl - Jan 01 2013 at 1:04pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Hug
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

Cry  It's crazy how some people see fine and others go so quickly.  

I wonder why some people don't take their meds.  I wonder if it's like mental health meds that make you feel so horrible you'd rather risk psychosis than deal with it.  
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:20pm
We've had no new hiv births in DC since 2009.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Jan 01 2013 at 1:21pm
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:27pm
^^^^That is awesome!
BoutThatLife View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoutThatLife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:54pm
I always was curious about how even though the reported stats are so high, you don't see people sick very often.I guess my picture of the disease has always been someone on their death bed and very ill looking (gia carangi, Pedro Zamora) are the people in my age group who have it asymptomatic or just hiding it really well?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>