Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Official Co Washing Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CEE JAY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2009 at 10:19am
Originally posted by dunkyn dunkyn wrote:

is it okay to co-wash with Mane And Tail conditioner?? or should I stick to the cheap stuff?

I think it would be OK just read the label i think that is a mild protein. I would use a cheapie first like v05 or suave tropical coconut is also the bizness then use that as your final cond leave on like the label says then rinse.Smile
Sponsored Links

SugarBaybee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2009 at 9:26pm
In case anyone doesn't already know this......

ALL VO5 Shampoo's and Conditioners are on sale at CVS for 77cents!

The sale is from today through Sunday.
phenomenalkei View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 7:08am
Originally posted by SugarBaybee SugarBaybee wrote:

In case anyone doesn't already know this......

ALL VO5 Shampoo's and Conditioners are on sale at CVS for 77cents!

The sale is from today through Sunday.

Thanks! I will be picking up some today...You can't beat 77 cents! Does anyone recommend any particular V05?
love_akihsoy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 12:25pm
^^^Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream.... my hair LOVES it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 7:27pm
Passion Fruit Smoothie is heaven! IHeart it! I alternate btwn that and Strawberries and Cream. Both are apart of the Moisture Milks line.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 10:37am
So, this is my 3rd week Co-Washing and I truly didnt expect to be posting an update so soon. But........I just had to share.

Right after my first co-wash I began to see results. My hair is waaaaay soft, much more manageable and tangles so much less. I've also noticed that the shedding has reduced by at least 85%. I've been using the VO5 Moisture Milks so far. Today I am going to try the Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner.

I also visited a local Indian/Asian market and stocked up on my natural products:

Parachute Sampoorna (a blend of coconut oil, almond oil, Camphor  and Hibiscus)
Parachute Pure Coconut Oil
Almond Oil
Oil Oil
Shea Butter

FYI- The Suave Shampoo's & Conditioners are on on sale @ Walmart......97cents!!!

Enjoy!Smile

Originally posted by SugarBaybee SugarBaybee wrote:

Hello Ladies! I am so pleased to have discovered this thread! I heard about co-washing 2 years ago last year but thought that it didnt apply to me because I wore braids. I switched over to wearing LFW's shortly after that and have been 100% natural underneath since my last relaxer (Jan. '07). It just dawned on me that I could try co-washing now. Lamp.

I already have some conditioners in my arsenal (Panteen Moistrure Renewal and Panteen Hydrayting Curls) and I've also just purchased the VO5 Strawberries & Cream, Moisture Milk. I'll be trying each of them out over the next few weeks to see which I like best. I have decided that I am going to co-wash once a week (after I take of my LFW) and I'll shampoo with a clarifying shampoo (VO5 Kiwi Lime) once a month along with a deep condition. ..........I'll be headed to Walmart or WholeFoods shortly to pick up some oils (peppermint, tea tree, coconut, etc) to create my leave in moisture lock mixture. I shall return to report my results. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, tips and techniques. Many hair blessings to each of you! Hug

Edited by SugarBaybee - Nov 29 2009 at 10:38am
relaxd2natural View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 8:44pm
Newbie transistioner here. How do you know if your conditioner contains protein? Is there a particular ingredient I should look out for? Besides egg i wouldn't know what to look for Confused
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 2:40pm
Most protein-based conditioners would have keratin, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, or any combination of these words in it

From LHCF:

Here is a handy guide for understanding the different types of protein products. Member plzgrow gave this information awile back

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Protein--known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein--known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein--a moisturizing and strengthening protein. known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein--responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the(hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft [than animal protein] and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coat the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein--Natural silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy

Keratin protein More Indept:

*a) Keratin protein--this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

The keratin in some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like Keracare's humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance."

* Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids--this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin--This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:42pm
Bumping. Thread with a lot of information. =)
lovemusiq93 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 9:03pm
bump!!
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930>
  Share Topic