Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Official Black History Thread!!!! (GREAT READ)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The Official Black History Thread!!!! (GREAT READ)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I'm currently reading Medical Apartheid and omg

White people were so much more demented then than I could have imagined

I might post some stories on here but if only I can get through them :'(

I remember that you recommended this book several times and i kept it in the back of my mind.  i wanted to let you know i do actually pay attention.  i picked up from the library and im half way through.  you mentioned once that it was a book that every black person should read and i couldnt agree more.  i never could have fathomed people having this level of cruelty.  we go through our entire live thinking we know what was done to our ancestors but we really have no idea what was really done to them.  every month a new story about the jewish holocaust is being told as a reminder to never forget, yet what was done to our people was even worse, beyond imagination and we are suppose to cower in shame with collective amnesia.
Sponsored Links

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 3:28pm
http://www.pbs.org/black-culture/shows/list/

In the link ^^^, there is a lost of black history documentaries that you can watch for free. I pledge to watch all of them before December 31, 2014 (I have already seen 1/3rd of them on PBS):

A

B

C
D

E

F

H
I
J
L
M
N

O

P

R
S
T
U

Edited by NJHairLuv - Aug 14 2014 at 3:30pm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 4:13pm
One of the reasons why I think blacks should support black businesses instead of going, for example, to a liquor store owned by a white or Asian person is that you never know what this person did in the past.

Take Emmet Till's killer, Roy Bryant. His livelihood was having a store in the Delta that was supported by blacks.
He killed Emmet in 1955 and even though the white community acquitted him of murder, they shunned him. So he moved to Money, MS, exactly where Emmet died and tried to open a store there, but blacks boycotted it, so he had to move around for a long time. Thirty years later he gave an interview and guess what? He had a small cafe in the Mississippi Delta and his clientele was mostly black.

http://www.emmetttillmurder.com/Clarion%201985_3.htm

If you don't know who you are dealing with, might as well go to a black owned business.
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2014 at 5:13pm

10 Disturbing Facts African-Americans Should Know About Eugenics

February 26, 2014 5:06 PM

Eurgen

Frances  Galton was an Englishman who came from a family that became very wealthy from slave labor. He is the father of “Eugenics” and coined the term  in 1883.

In order to promote the idea of Eugenics, a Eugenics society was  formed. It  galvanized the social movement that began in America with the sole intent of wiping out the Black population through selective breeding and sterilization. In secret, it played a significant role in the culture of the United States prior to its involvement in World War II. Today, it’s more recognizable and institutions like Planned Parenthood are advancing the Eugenics movement against the Black community.

“I do not join in the belief that the African is our equal in brain or in heart; I do not think that the average negro cares for his liberty as much as an Englishman, or as a self-born Russian; and I believe that if we can in any fair way, possess ourselves of his services, we have an equal right to utilize them to our advantages.”

-Frances Galton-

Planed Parenthood

Planned Parenthood’s Real Purpose

Margaret Sanger founded The American Birth Control League in 1921. It was a facility with the purpose of sterilizing women.  Realizing that they wouldn’t be able to promote their agenda because it would viewed as socially unacceptable and politically incorrect, in 1942, Sanger officially changed the name of the American Birth Control League to Planned Parenthood concealing its agenda of population control.

The birth control pill AKA RU 486

The Birth Control Pill AKA RU-486

In the book, “RU486: Misconception, Myths and Morals,” written by biologist Renate Klein, professor Janice Raymond and researcher Lynette Dumble, they wrote about discovering an unknown agency that was looking for an inexpensive and effective drug to control the population in foreign countries classified as “underdeveloped.” They used the book  to warn people  of the dangers of the abortion pill.

The abortion pill was tested in ” underdeveloped”  countries first and then brought into Black communities in the United States.

MostDangerousPlace

The Impact of Legal Abortion

Since becoming law in 1973, legal abortions have killed more African Americans than AIDS, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and violent crimes combined. At one point, every week, more Black people died in American abortion clinics than were killed in the entire Vietnam War. The largest chain of abortion clinics in the United States is operated by the Planned Parenthood.

Americas Wealthy elite

America’s Wealthy Elite Involvement In Eugenics

America’s wealthiest elite played a significant role in the advancement of Eugenics. People such as Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, J. P. Morgan, John Harvey Kellogg, Warren Buffett, Procter & Gamble and the Rockefellers have all donated millions for Eugenics based research.

By the 1930s, many of the wealthiest people in the world were members of the American Eugenics Society. Today, billionaires have begun focusing their money into large population control projects such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Bill Gates involvement

Bill Gates’ Involvement With Eugenics

Bill Gates’  father, William H. Gates Sr.,  was the head of eugenics group Planned Parenthood. In a 2003 interview with PBS’ Bill Moyers, Gates admitted that his family’s involvement in reproductive issues through the years has been extensive. Through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Gates has been conducting tests for the past decade with new vaccines on poor people in African countries and other places. 

According to Vactruth.com the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation went in to Chad and vaccinated at least 50 children with a drug developed specifically for Africa called, “MenAfriVac.”  Within 24 hours, it was reported that the children, some of whom were as young as 7, developed hallucinations, convulsions and ultimately paralysis.

Indiana passed sterilization laws in 1907

Indiana’s 1907 Sterilization Laws

In 1907 Indiana became the first of more than 30 states to pass sterilization laws and some of the laws stayed on the books well into the 1970s. The state of Oregon performed its last sterilization in 1981 and did not abolish its Eugenics program till 1983.

Many of these sterilizations happened without the patient’s consent, or knowledge and sometimes against his or her will. In some instances, a family’s welfare check would be withheld if they didn’t bring their children in to be sterilized.

Government involvement In Eugenics

Government Involvement In Eugenics

The United States official policy on controlling world population was called the National Security Study Memorandum 200. In cooperation with the National SecurityCouncil, The United States Agency for International Development, the US State Department, the Department of Defense and the Central Intelligence Agency, the goal was to establish a strategy to reduce the population of developing countries so that the United States could have increased access to its natural resources.

As a result of careful testing in Black countries,  the conclusion the U.S. government met was that no country has reduced its population growth without resorting to abortion. With that information the government used Planned Parenthood to carry out the global abortion plan in the targeted countries.

If a country rejected the United States’ birth control policies, one tactic that is used would be to withhold food aid  until they submit to the birth control.

Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Since World War II it has been well documented that Adolf Hitler was profoundly influenced by the American eugenics movement. Many of his government’s racial policies were developed from the writings of American eugenicist Madison Grant.  In fact, Hitler referred to Grant’s book, “The Passing of the Great Race or the Racial Basis of European history” as his bible.

In a 1935 incident, Nazis sterilized the children of more than 600 German women because it was reported that those children had been fathered by Black men.

Population control in Hati

Population Control In Haiti

In Haiti 90 percent of women can get access to birth control, but fewer than 20 percent of the people have access to clean drinking water.

"I'm just trying to make a way out of no way, for my people" -Modejeska Monteith Simpkins

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/10-disturbing-facts-african-americans-should-know-about-eugenics

Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

February 26, 2014 5:06 PM

Eurgen

Frances  Galton was an Englishman who came from a family that became very wealthy from slave labor. He is the father of “Eugenics” and coined the term  in 1883.

In order to promote the idea of Eugenics, a Eugenics society was  formed. It  galvanized the social movement that began in America with the sole intent of wiping out the Black population through selective breeding and sterilization. In secret, it played a significant role in the culture of the United States prior to its involvement in World War II. Today, it’s more recognizable and institutions like Planned Parenthood are advancing the Eugenics movement against the Black community.

“I do not join in the belief that the African is our equal in brain or in heart; I do not think that the average negro cares for his liberty as much as an Englishman, or as a self-born Russian; and I believe that if we can in any fair way, possess ourselves of his services, we have an equal right to utilize them to our advantages.”

-Frances Galton-

Planed Parenthood

Planned Parenthood’s Real Purpose

Margaret Sanger founded The American Birth Control League in 1921. It was a facility with the purpose of sterilizing women.  Realizing that they wouldn’t be able to promote their agenda because it would viewed as socially unacceptable and politically incorrect, in 1942, Sanger officially changed the name of the American Birth Control League to Planned Parenthood concealing its agenda of population control.

The birth control pill AKA RU 486

The Birth Control Pill AKA RU-486

In the book, “RU486: Misconception, Myths and Morals,” written by biologist Renate Klein, professor Janice Raymond and researcher Lynette Dumble, they wrote about discovering an unknown agency that was looking for an inexpensive and effective drug to control the population in foreign countries classified as “underdeveloped.” They used the book  to warn people  of the dangers of the abortion pill.

The abortion pill was tested in ” underdeveloped”  countries first and then brought into Black communities in the United States.

MostDangerousPlace

The Impact of Legal Abortion

Since becoming law in 1973, legal abortions have killed more African Americans than AIDS, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and violent crimes combined. At one point, every week, more Black people died in American abortion clinics than were killed in the entire Vietnam War. The largest chain of abortion clinics in the United States is operated by the Planned Parenthood.

Americas Wealthy elite

America’s Wealthy Elite Involvement In Eugenics

America’s wealthiest elite played a significant role in the advancement of Eugenics. People such as Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, J. P. Morgan, John Harvey Kellogg, Warren Buffett, Procter & Gamble and the Rockefellers have all donated millions for Eugenics based research.

By the 1930s, many of the wealthiest people in the world were members of the American Eugenics Society. Today, billionaires have begun focusing their money into large population control projects such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Bill Gates involvement

Bill Gates’ Involvement With Eugenics

Bill Gates’  father, William H. Gates Sr.,  was the head of eugenics group Planned Parenthood. In a 2003 interview with PBS’ Bill Moyers, Gates admitted that his family’s involvement in reproductive issues through the years has been extensive. Through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Gates has been conducting tests for the past decade with new vaccines on poor people in African countries and other places. 

According to Vactruth.com the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation went in to Chad and vaccinated at least 50 children with a drug developed specifically for Africa called, “MenAfriVac.”  Within 24 hours, it was reported that the children, some of whom were as young as 7, developed hallucinations, convulsions and ultimately paralysis.

Indiana passed sterilization laws in 1907

Indiana’s 1907 Sterilization Laws

In 1907 Indiana became the first of more than 30 states to pass sterilization laws and some of the laws stayed on the books well into the 1970s. The state of Oregon performed its last sterilization in 1981 and did not abolish its Eugenics program till 1983.

Many of these sterilizations happened without the patient’s consent, or knowledge and sometimes against his or her will. In some instances, a family’s welfare check would be withheld if they didn’t bring their children in to be sterilized.

Government involvement In Eugenics

Government Involvement In Eugenics

The United States official policy on controlling world population was called the National Security Study Memorandum 200. In cooperation with the National SecurityCouncil, The United States Agency for International Development, the US State Department, the Department of Defense and the Central Intelligence Agency, the goal was to establish a strategy to reduce the population of developing countries so that the United States could have increased access to its natural resources.

As a result of careful testing in Black countries,  the conclusion the U.S. government met was that no country has reduced its population growth without resorting to abortion. With that information the government used Planned Parenthood to carry out the global abortion plan in the targeted countries.

If a country rejected the United States’ birth control policies, one tactic that is used would be to withhold food aid  until they submit to the birth control.

Hitler

Adolf Hitler

Since World War II it has been well documented that Adolf Hitler was profoundly influenced by the American eugenics movement. Many of his government’s racial policies were developed from the writings of American eugenicist Madison Grant.  In fact, Hitler referred to Grant’s book, “The Passing of the Great Race or the Racial Basis of European history” as his bible.

In a 1935 incident, Nazis sterilized the children of more than 600 German women because it was reported that those children had been fathered by Black men.

Population control in Hati

Population Control In Haiti

In Haiti 90 percent of women can get access to birth control, but fewer than 20 percent of the people have access to clean drinking water.

"I'm just trying to make a way out of no way, for my people" -Modejeska Monteith Simpkins

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/10-disturbing-facts-african-americans-should-know-about-eugenics

Good one
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2014 at 12:28am
The cultures of people of color are either packaged for consumption or called upon to fill cultural and spiritual voids of Eurocentrism.

-

Michael Vavrus

That sh*t blew my mind and made understanding cultural appropriation way clearer for me. 

(via thisisnotjapan)

I’ve been thinking about this for a long time, I’m glad someone else thought it too.

(via here-lies-andalusia)

Realest sh*t ever wrote

(via cosmic-kemet)

(Source: ladylarkin, via occipitaloccult)

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2014 at 3:21am
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Eurgen

I have that book. I first read it when I was a small child, maybe 10 years old and it scared the living hell out of me. I recently dusted it off and will be reading it again. I have to brace myself for it b/c it is brutal to read about how people in modern times (not ancient times) could systematically and legally destroy the fertility of men and women as a genocide in USA of the modern times. My great grand parent were born in the late 1800s, so 1883 is modern times IMO.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2014 at 6:37pm
Please take a moment to read about the modern day renaissance man, Geoffrey Holder. The man could do it all and did it all extremely well:

Arts

Geoffrey Holder, Dancer, Actor, Artist and Much More, Dies at 84

By JENNIFER DUNNING and WILLIAM McDONALD

Continue reading the main story Slide Show
Slide Show

Geoffrey Holder Dies at 84

CreditErin Combs/Toronto Star, via Getty Images

Continue reading the main story Share This Page

Geoffrey Holder, the dancer, choreographer, actor, composer, designer and painter who used his manifold talents to infuse the arts with the flavor of his native West Indies and to put a singular stamp on the American cultural scene, not least with his outsize personality, died on Sunday in Manhattan. He was 84.

Charles M. Mirotznik, a spokesman for the family, said the cause was complications of pneumonia.

Few cultural figures of the last half of the 20th century were as multifaceted as Mr. Holder, and few had a public presence as unmistakable as his, with his gleaming pate atop a 6-foot-6 frame, full-bodied laugh and bassoon of a voice laced with the lilting cadences of the Caribbean.

Mr. Holder directed a dance troupe from his native Trinidad and Tobago, danced on Broadway and at the Metropolitan Opera and won Tony Awards in 1975 for direction of a musical and costume design for “The Wiz,” a rollicking, all-black version of “The Wizard of Oz.” His choreography was in the repertory of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and the Dance Theater of Harlem. He acted onstage and in films and was an accomplished painter, photographer and sculptor whose works have been shown in galleries and museums. He published a cookbook.

Mr. Holder acknowledged that he achieved his widest celebrity as the jolly, white-suited television pitchman for 7Up in the 1970s and ’80s, when in a run of commercials, always in tropical settings, he happily endorsed the soft-drink as an “absolutely maaarvelous” alternative to Coca-Cola — or “the Un-Cola,” as the ads put it.

Long afterward, white suit or no, he would stop pedestrian traffic and draw stares at restaurants. He even good-naturedly alluded to the TV spots in accepting his Tony for directing, using their signature line “Just try making something like that out of a cola nut.”

Geoffrey Lamont Holder was born into a middle-class family on Aug. 1, 1930, in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, one of four children of Louise de Frense and Arthur Holder, who had immigrated from Barbados. Geoffrey attended Queen’s Royal College, an elite secondary school in Trinidad. There he struggled with a stammer that would plague him into early adulthood.

“At school, when I got up to read, the teacher would say, ‘Next,’ because the boys would laugh,” he said in an oral history interview.

Growing up, Mr. Holder came under the wing of his talented older brother, Arthur Aldwyn Holder, known to everyone by his childhood nickname, Boscoe. Boscoe Holder taught Geoffrey painting and dancing and recruited him to join a small, folkloric dance troupe he had formed, the Holder Dancing Company. Boscoe was 16; Geoffrey, 7.

Geoffrey’s career mirrored that of his brother in many ways. Boscoe Holder, too, went on to become a celebrated dancer, choreographer, musician, painter and designer, and he, too, left Trinidad, in the late 1940s, for England, where he performed on television and onstage.

Geoffrey took over the dance company, as its director and lead performer, and he took it to New York City in 1954, invited by the choreographer Agnes de Mille, who had seen the troupe perform two years before in St. Thomas, in the Virgin Islands. She arranged an audition for the impresario Sol Hurok. To pay for the troupe’s passage, Mr. Holder, already an established young painter, sold 20 of his paintings.

After dropping his bags at an uncle’s apartment in Brooklyn, he fell in love with the city.

“It was a period when all the girls looked like Janet Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor, with crinoline petticoats and starched hair,” he told The New York Times in 1985. “The songs of that period were the themes from ‘The Moulin Rouge’ and ‘Limelight,’ and it was so marvelous to hear the music in the streets and see the stylish ladies tripping down Fifth Avenue. Gorgeous black women, Irish women — all of them lovely and all of them going somewhere.”

Mr. Holder had the good fortune to arrive in New York at a time of relative popularity for all-black Broadway productions as well as black dance, both modern and folk. Calypso music was also gaining a foothold, thanks largely to Harry Belafonte.

For a while Mr. Holder taught classes at the Katherine Dunham School and was a principal dancer for the Metropolitan Opera Ballet, in 1955 and ’56. He continued to dance and direct the Holder dance company until 1960, when it disbanded. In the meantime, at a dance recital, he caught the attention of the producer Arnold Saint-Subber, who was putting together a show with a Caribbean theme.

Thus did Mr. Holder make his Broadway debut on Dec. 30, 1954, as a featured dancer in the “House of Flowers,” a haunting, perfumed evocation of West Indian bordello life, with music by Harold Arlen and a book by Arlen and Truman Capote, based on his novella of the same name. Directed by Peter Brook at the Alvin Theater, it starred Diahann Carroll and Pearl Bailey, and among its dancers was a ravishingly pretty young woman named Carmen de Lavallade. She and Mr. Holder married in 1955, had a son, Léo, and sometimes shared the stage. Both wife and son survive him.

One character Mr. Holder played in the musical was the top-hatted Baron Samedi, the guardian of the cemetery and the spirit of death, sex and resurrection in Haitian Voodoo culture. Mr. Holder relished Samedi: he played him again in the 1973 James Bond film, “Live and Let Die” (the first of the Bond franchise to star Roger Moore), and featured him in “Banda” (1982), one of Mr. Holder’s major dance works.

His Voodoo villain in “Live and Let Die” was of a piece with much of his sporadic film career: with his striking looks and West Indian-inflected voice, producers tended to cast Mr. Holder in roles deemed exotic.

In “Doctor Dolittle” (1967), he was a giant native who ruled a floating island as William Shakespeare (the Tenth). In Woody Allen’s “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask” (1972), he played a sorcerer. In “Annie” (1982), he was the Indian servant Punjab. (An exception was the 1992 romantic comedy “Boomerang,” in which he played a randy director of commercials working for Eddie Murphy’s playboy advertising executive.)

Mr. Holder was multitasking before the term gained currency. In 1957 he landed a notable acting role playing the hapless servant Lucky in an all-black Broadway revival of Samuel Beckett’s “Waiting for Godot,” directed by Herbert Berghof. The show, just seven months after the play’s original Broadway production, closed after only six performances because of a union dispute, but the role, with its rambling, signature 700-word monologue, lifted Mr. Holder’s acting career.

That same year, he choreographed, and danced in, a revival of the George and Ira Gershwin musical “Rosalie” in Central Park. And he received a Guggenheim fellowship in painting.

Painting was a constant for him. Whether life was hectic or jobs were scarce, he could usually be found in the SoHo loft he shared with Ms. de Lavallade, absorbed in work that drew on folk tales and often delivered biting social commentary. On canvases throughout the studio sensuous nudes jostled for space with elegantly dressed women, ghostly swimmers nestled beside black Virgin Marys, bulky strippers seemed to burst out of their skins, mysterious figures peered out of tropical forests.

His work was shown at the Corcoran Gallery in Washington and at the Guggenheim Museum in New York. And then there was his photography, and his sculpture.

His visual creativity extended to costume designs, “The Wiz” being just one showcase. Another was John Taras’s 1982 production of “The Firebird” for the Dance Theater of Harlem, in which the Russian fairy tale was relocated to a tropical forest. Mr. Holder designed both the sets and the costumes, one of which was a blend of 30 or 40 colors. He earned another Tony nomination for best costume design for the 1978 Broadway musical “Timbuktu!,” an all-black show based on the musical “Kismet.” He also directed and choreographed “Timbuktu!”

Mr. Holder’s dance designs were equally bold. Reviewing a 1999 revival of “Banda” by the Dance Theater of Harlem, Anna Kisselgoff wrote in The Times, “Mr. Holder is a terrific showman, and his mix of Afro-Caribbean rituals, modern dance and even ballet’s pirouettes is potent and dazzling.”

Other Holder dance classics were “Prodigal Prince” (1971), a dreamlike re-creation of the life and work of Hector Hyppolite, the Haitian folk painter, for which he also composed the musical score; and “Dougla” (1974), an evocation of a mixed-race Caribbean wedding. (Dougla refers to people who are of African and Indian descent.)

In 1959 he published a book on Caribbean folklore, “Black Gods, Green Islands,” written with Tom Harshman and illustrated by Mr. Holder; in 1973 he produced “Geoffrey Holder’s Caribbean Cookbook.” He himself was the subject of books and documentaries, including “Carmen & Geoffrey” (2009), by Linda Atkinson and Nick Doob.

Mr. Holder said his artistic life was governed by a simple credo, shaped by his own experience as a West Indian child who had yet to see the world.

“I create for that innocent little boy in the balcony who has come to the theater for the first time,” he told Dance Magazine in 2010. “He wants to see magic, so I want to give him magic. He sees things that his father couldn’t see.”

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2014 at 9:01pm
Familiarize yourself with this:

http://www.nps.gov/wori/historyculture/sojourner-truth.htm

Sojourner Truth

Sojourner Truth with cane and bag

Sojourner Truth

Library of Congress

Born into slavery in 1797, Isabella Baumfree, who later changed her name to Sojourner Truth, would become one of the most powerful advocates for human rights in the nineteenth century. Her early childhood was spent on a New York estate owned by a Dutch American named Colonel Johannes Hardenbergh. Like other slaves, she experienced the miseries of being sold and was cruelly beaten and mistreated. Around 1815 she fell in love with a fellow slave named Robert, but they were forced apart by Robert’s master. Isabella was instead forced to marry a slave named Thomas, with whom she had five children.

In 1827, after her master failed to honor his promise to free her or to uphold the New York Anti-Slavery Law of 1827, Isabella ran away, or, as she later informed her master, “I did not run away, I walked away by daylight….” After experiencing a religious conversion, Isabella became an itinerant preacher and in 1843 changed her name to Sojourner Truth. During this period she became involved in the growing antislavery movement, and by the 1850s she was involved in the woman’s rights movement as well. At the 1851 Women’s Rights Convention held in Akron, Ohio, Sojourner Truth delivered what is now recognized as one of the most famous abolitionist and women’s rights speeches in American history, “Ain’t I a Woman?” She continued to speak out for the rights of African Americans and women during and after the Civil War. Sojourner Truth died in Battle Creek, Michigan, in 1883.

Sojourner Truth (1797-1883): Ain't I A Woman?
Delivered 1851
Women's Rights Convention, Akron, Ohio

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that 'twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what's all this here talking about?

That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?

Then they talk about this thing in the head; what's this they call it? [member of audience whispers, "intellect"] That's it, honey. What's that got to do with women's rights or negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?

Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.

If the first woman God ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.

Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

Edited by NJHairLuv - Oct 06 2014 at 9:09pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132>