Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The moment in 12 Years a Slave that made me cry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The moment in 12 Years a Slave that made me cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I think people just like to believe that we ain't sh!t by default

Unfortunately, many of our own people perpetuate this
ia
Sponsored Links

Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

its part of the culture.  The rape culture, drug culture, hip hop culture, vanity/keeping up with jones' culture, religious culture, family structure, financial, educational status & socio-economic class.  it aint one thing.  Its  many factors that contribute to the way ppl are

Agreed. Now would you agree that hundreds of years of slavery would factor somehow into each of those areas?
no.  There are men  who walk past a woman & smile & keep moving, who hold doors for all ppl men & women, give up their seat on a crowded bus or train for a woman with a lot of bags, small kids or pregnant. They say please, thank you, may I, yes (insert name) no thank you, etc.. They will help a person in trouble or distress by breaking up a fight or calling for help, not pull out a phone, point, laff, & yell world star.  There are men who desire to have babies with only their wife & not screw half the neighborhood & planting seeds along the way, There are men who are modest & conservative who don't feel the need to be flashy with materialistic sh*t.  And some who love learning, expanding their knowledge & getting lost in books.

Then there are the ones who DON'T.  either of them could have slaves in their family, but the values & upbringing in the household & social circles is what influences you

Then I guess that's why the point wasn't sinking it. And based on your ideas of individuals making choices rather than populations facing circumstances, I'll say it still hasn't.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 1:16pm
Random, I get the point being made.  I just don't agree with it.  & to touch on the choices, take this scenario.  I'm walking down the street.  David says hello & keeps walking,  Bob says damn guhl, is that all you?? as he oogles me up and down looking thirsty.  I keep walking, , a minute later Mike walks close to me & squeezes my ass.  I turn around in shock and slap away his arm as I yell at him.  He blows it off as he & Bob laff it off.

Now tell me how choices played in a part in the above, how upbringing played a role, & how slavery played a role with the 3 guys
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 1:36pm

Random, I get the point being made.  I just don't agree with it.  & to touch on the choices, take this scenario.  I'm walking down the street.  David says hello & keeps walking,  Bob says damn guhl, is that all you?? as he oogles me up and down looking thirsty.  I keep walking, , a minute later Mike walks close to me & squeezes my ass.  I turn around in shock and slap away his arm as I yell at him.  He blows it off as he & Bob laff it off.

Now tell me how choices played in a part in the above, how upbringing played a role, & how slavery played a role with the 3 guys

You're essentially using the "Obama is President, therefore there isn't racism," argument. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to discuss that anymore. You listed a bunch of great things that affect behavior, but failed to see how those things have roots in slavery.

Rape culture---Exists with slavery, but was explicitly used as a tool of warfare against slaves.
Drug culture---Has direct ties to poverty, and black people are among the most poverty stricken people in the country...why is that?
hip Hop culture---born out of poverty of disenfranchised people in New York. It doesn't even come to exist without the poverty around them. Poverty is very important to the overall discussion.
Vanity/keeping up with jones' culture---after being denied of wealth for generations, the idea of "I'd rather die enormous than live dormant" mindset infects the poverty stricken people.
Religious culture---Black people are the most religious group of people in the country. Why? Why did black people cling so close to Christianity, when it was introduced to help enslave them? (this movie actually has a great scene depicting this)
Family structure---Mothers separated from children. Husbands separated from wives. Family names stripped. Identities, wealth, and traditions erased. And then add on the drugs and poverty.
Financial---Black people weren't even allowed to vote 50 years ago. Were continually passed over for jobs. Get lower salaries than peers that are different races. Didn't have the headstart of generational wealth or established communities that other races had when they immigrated to the U.S.
Educational status---Parents are struggling just to keep food on the table, yet are supposed to have the money for tuition. Schools in black communities don't get quality teachers or books or resources.

If you can't see how situations build and build and build and they contribute to the existence of a population, then I really don't know what else to say. And I think it's rather simplistic that you are implying that people rising above the remnants of slavery weren't affected by it. Just because David said hello and kept walking, or went to college and got a great job, or met and married his wife before having kids, doesn't mean he wasn't affected. Part of the reason I went to school and became educated was BECAUSE I was so thougholy affected by the condition of my family/surroundings. I wanted to escape from it.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Dec 20 2013 at 1:44pm
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 1:39pm
latent issues (slavery/destruction of family & the list goes on & on) can not be removed from the erosionn of black society...just can't. Just like a genetic disorder may be dormant but under the right conditions becomes a prominent defect...it's the same in social settings...but we can make excuses for it (not being a cause of slavery) because there are so many variables today...but the root is still the root...
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 1:48pm
[/QUOTE]

Part of the reason I went to school and became educated was BECAUSE I was so thougholy affected by the condition of my family/surroundings. I wanted to escape from it.

[/QUOTE] I wish I could thank you 10'xs for that last line...ohhh kill'em...LOL
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

[QUOTE=Random Thoughts][QUOTE=Senior Detective] Random, I get the point being made.  I just don't agree with it.  & to touch on the choices, take this scenario.  I'm walking down the street.  David says hello & keeps walking,  Bob says damn guhl, is that all you?? as he oogles me up and down looking thirsty.  I keep walking, , a minute later Mike walks close to me & squeezes my ass.  I turn around in shock and slap away his arm as I yell at him.  He blows it off as he & Bob laff it off.

You're essentially using the "Obama is President, therefore there isn't racism," argument. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to discuss that anymore. You listed a bunch of great things that affect behavior, but failed to see how those things have roots in slavery.

I see u didn't answer my question.  I would NEVER think there isn't racism.  It will always exist so that rebuttal is a bunch of bs .  As 4 ur list, I will do my own later today 4 u, cuz now I have to run.  And I don fail to see the roots in slavery.  I just don't think it applies to the way some bm treat women.  If u know better, u do better  I'm sure u don't disrespect women daily & encourage negative or criminal behavior.  Why is that? Because YOU WERE RAISED BETTER.  Where as Dy'quavius down the block dgaf.  If yall both came from slaves, what is the difference between you two? 
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 2:29pm
If you're asking me Bunny....tbh that has nothing to do with the original premise, which is slavery has long lasting detriment to black society. Although I am a first generation American (mom is from JA) I still feel the effects of slavery and the society constructed for us to succeed "despite of" the pitfalls. I can dawn the same attitude and say because of my heritage or our strict Jamaican culture prevented me from going down the wrong path, but in essence that would only make my point (& RT) even stronger. Generations and generations (and future generations) have suffered the mental trappings of slavery, which manifest in self-destructive behavior, and what better way to destroy than to pit the black man against their women? Destroy the nucleus of family, devalue of community & devalue of self?
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 4:42pm
At the end when he was reunited with his family and when the daughter revealed that her son was named after him...
PurrPoZe View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurrPoZe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

If you're asking me Bunny....tbh that has nothing to do with the original premise, which is slavery has long lasting detriment to black society. Although I am a first generation American (mom is from JA) I still feel the effects of slavery and the society constructed for us to succeed "despite of" the pitfalls. I can dawn the same attitude and say because of my heritage or our strict Jamaican culture prevented me from going down the wrong path, but in essence that would only make my point (& RT) even stronger. Generations and generations (and future generations) have suffered the mental trappings of slavery, which manifest in self-destructive behavior, and what better way to destroy than to pit the black man against their women? Destroy the nucleus of family, devalue of community & devalue of self?

I don't think your Jamaican culture is what prevented you from doing the wrong things...kinda like saying that black Americans are less.....certainly all of Jamaica isn't doing the right thing...not even the majority..I n both cultures you have some who reach enlightenment and some who don't...both cultures have lingering effects of slavery....just with different accents...which are ironically a result of slavery
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic