Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The moment in "12 Years a Slave" that made me cry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The moment in "12 Years a Slave" that made me cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

Random, I get the point being made.  I just don't agree with it.  & to touch on the choices, take this scenario.  I'm walking down the street.  David says hello & keeps walking,  Bob says damn guhl, is that all you?? as he oogles me up and down looking thirsty.  I keep walking, , a minute later Mike walks close to me & squeezes my ass.  I turn around in shock and slap away his arm as I yell at him.  He blows it off as he & Bob laff it off.

Now tell me how choices played in a part in the above, how upbringing played a role, & how slavery played a role with the 3 guys
[QUOTE=Random Thoughts][QUOTE=Senior Detective] Random, I get the point being made.  I just don't agree with it.  & to touch on the choices, take this scenario.  I'm walking down the street.  David says hello & keeps walking,  Bob says damn guhl, is that all you?? as he oogles me up and down looking thirsty.  I keep walking, , a minute later Mike walks close to me & squeezes my ass.  I turn around in shock and slap away his arm as I yell at him.  He blows it off as he & Bob laff it off.

Now tell me how choices played in a part in the above, how upbringing played a role, & how slavery played a role with the 3 guys

You're essentially using the "Obama is President, therefore there isn't racism," argument. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience to discuss that anymore. You listed a bunch of great things that affect behavior, but failed to see how those things have roots in slavery.

I see u didn't answer my question.  I would NEVER think there isn't racism.  It will always exist so that rebuttal is a bunch of bs .  As 4 ur list, I will do my own later today 4 u, cuz now I have to run.  And I don fail to see the roots in slavery.  I just don't think it applies to the way some bm treat women.  If u know better, u do better  I'm sure u don't disrespect women daily & encourage negative or criminal behavior.  Why is that? Because YOU WERE RAISED BETTER.  Where as Dy'quavius down the block dgaf.  If yall both came from slaves, what is the difference between you two? 
Sponsored Links

Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 2:29pm
If you're asking me Bunny....tbh that has nothing to do with the original premise, which is slavery has long lasting detriment to black society. Although I am a first generation American (mom is from JA) I still feel the effects of slavery and the society constructed for us to succeed "despite of" the pitfalls. I can dawn the same attitude and say because of my heritage or our strict Jamaican culture prevented me from going down the wrong path, but in essence that would only make my point (& RT) even stronger. Generations and generations (and future generations) have suffered the mental trappings of slavery, which manifest in self-destructive behavior, and what better way to destroy than to pit the black man against their women? Destroy the nucleus of family, devalue of community & devalue of self?
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 4:42pm
At the end when he was reunited with his family and when the daughter revealed that her son was named after him...
PurrPoZe View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurrPoZe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

If you're asking me Bunny....tbh that has nothing to do with the original premise, which is slavery has long lasting detriment to black society. Although I am a first generation American (mom is from JA) I still feel the effects of slavery and the society constructed for us to succeed "despite of" the pitfalls. I can dawn the same attitude and say because of my heritage or our strict Jamaican culture prevented me from going down the wrong path, but in essence that would only make my point (& RT) even stronger. Generations and generations (and future generations) have suffered the mental trappings of slavery, which manifest in self-destructive behavior, and what better way to destroy than to pit the black man against their women? Destroy the nucleus of family, devalue of community & devalue of self?

I don't think your Jamaican culture is what prevented you from doing the wrong things...kinda like saying that black Americans are less.....certainly all of Jamaica isn't doing the right thing...not even the majority..I n both cultures you have some who reach enlightenment and some who don't...both cultures have lingering effects of slavery....just with different accents...which are ironically a result of slavery
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 1:53am
Originally posted by PurrPoZe PurrPoZe wrote:

Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

I don't think your Jamaican culture is what prevented you from doing the wrong things...kinda like saying that black Americans are less.....certainly all of Jamaica isn't doing the right thing...not even the majority..I n both cultures you have some who reach enlightenment and some who don't...both cultures have lingering effects of slavery....just with different accents...which are ironically a result of slavery
You couldn't have read the entire exchange between myself/RT & Bunny...moreover, you obviously didn't read what I wrote...I stated that Although I had a strict Jamaican upbringing, it didn't remove the effects nor prevented the pitfalls...I never made any presumption that one culture was better than the other (because I am both)...my point (which was missed) was that because many Jamaicans (and other immigrants) do have some deep rooted & easily traced culture/tradition/heritage they have a stronger cultural identity which quite possibly prevents the deviant- (sociological term)...however because Black people enslaved in this country were stripped of there culture, lost generations of tradition/heritage and forced to adapt to their circumstances the long lasting effects are still seen in the behaviors of many who are currently systematically enslaved.
Nijjah25 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nijjah25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 2:39am
RT is so eloquent *sighs*
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 7:45am

for the members that are descendants of the african diaspora but are not african american.....how is slavery discussed in your culture? what long lasting affects do you see in your country as a result of slavery? what other hardships steaming from slavery have your people faced throughout history?
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2013 at 10:23am
All I know is after the movie was over and the lights came on the white people didn't wanna make eye contact, they high tailed it out of there. My son asked what was wrong and I said white guilt and left the theater.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic