Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
naturally50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturally50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 8:57am
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

Hey y'all wanted to give a quick MHM update.

My hair had been
looking pretty dull this past couple of weeks, I had no idea what was
going on. I was on youtube and protectiveprincess mentioned that KCKT
was more moisturizing for step 4 than tresemme naturals radiant volume. I
went out and got some KCKT and maaaan my hair literally ate it up. No
white residue or anything. Also I picked up some KCCC today because I
ran out, and my hair looks amazing again. I think KCCC is just the best
overall gel for this method..My hair clumps and looks more moisturized
when i use KCCC instead of my other gels (GCTG, Herbal Styling Gel) I
literally don't know why that is because Green Tea Curl Glaze has
simliar ingredients, but all i know is I've been using the green tea gel
for the past 2 months and my hair seemed a bit dry.

I think
it's very important what products you use, even though some products may
be MHM approved, doesn't mean they're gonna give the best results on
your hair. I still use tresemme  for step 1 and 2, but for step 4 & 5
I use KCKT with KCCC. So yeah KCCC and KCKT is going to be my go-to
combo for this method. Happy MHMing people!

Also today is my 5month mark doing the regimen
Hi Aharri, Thanks for the update. I agree completely. For the last 2 steps the KKNT and KKCC I have found are the best...at least until I master the flax seed gel to replace the gel! I do love the Tresemme for steps requiring conditioner. One thing I did start doing to save on the KKNT was after rinsing the clay, I use a bit of the Tresemme to help remove any clay while in the shower and rinse out the Tresemme thoroughly. I then use the KKNT,this way I am not wasting/rinsing any out. As my hair gets more hydrated I find I'm actually using less of both so in the long run I have really saved money. One thing that I DISLIKE about this method is that it has cured my addiction. Hi my name is Crownstar and I'm a recovering Product Junkie..That what I say when I pass by the beauty supply stores no need to go in cause I don't need anything! lol
It has cured my PJ addiction too. Most of these hair companies have terrible ingredients in their products, how on earth do they sell? Anyways I keep trying to find something like KCCC but cheaper because im cheap, but I may have to suck it up for my curls

Aharris- I'm with you, I watered down the KKNT and KKCC but was on a mission this weekend to make a good batch of flaxseed gel and I did.  I posted in a separate post.  Check it out if you wanna give it a try. I'm trying not to be a product junkie but would like to try some different conditioners beside tressamee and kknt.  
Sponsored Links

Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by naturally50 naturally50 wrote:

Hi Everyone!
Just thought I would provide a flax seed gel recipe that really has me excited.  I was getting low on the KKCC and was low on funds as well(LOL) so I was on a mission this weekend to make a batch of flax seed gel.  I have made a couple of batches before and in my opinion, they were OK.  Well I wanted a mix that had ingredients for shine, hold, moisture.(not too think, not too thin and not too much)- Truly to replace the KKCC. I stalked you tube, the internet, and etsy.com for recipes, ingredients, etc. Went to my local health store(Mom's) and purchased the flaxseeds(in bulk- much cheaper than the bag), and herbs.  I already had the oils.  Total costs- approx $4 and off to mixing I go.  Well can I say YESS!!!!!! The gel came out perfect. I was too excited to try it out and I had just cowashed my hair, so I started apply to 85% dry hair and my hair had life!  Great clumping, sheen, and moisture.  
My recipe is this(shout out to naturalbeaty75 on instagram). 
Combine in pot, boil on medium/low heat 12-15 minutes
3 cups of water,1/4 c of flax seeds, 1 tsp of irish moss, 1 tsp of burdock root, 1 tsp of marshmallow root 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp of lemon juice

Strain( I use a strainer and a whisk) and add
1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp oils( 1 used 1/3 tsp JBCO, 1/3 tsp sweet almond oil, 1/3 tsp jojoba oil, 1 tbsp of EVVO), 1 tsp vitamin E, drops of essential oil

Let cool .. This  yields 12 ounces of gel.  
And taken from Rachel CPR I freezed in ice cube tray and can use the cubes as needed. It filled up 1 tray.
KKCC 16 ounces $30, 8 ounces $17, DIY fsg being sold 8 oz $12, FSG 12 oz app $.50.  

If you have an inner DIY and 20 minutes, try it out. 

costs - .75 lb of flaxseed $1.64, .08 lb of burdock root 2.46, .03 lb of marshmallow root $1.39, .05 lb of Irish moss $1.90 = total $7.39 

HELLO Flax seed gel my first Holy Grail Product :)

THANKS so much for this recipe!!! I'm going to use it definitely use this!!! Im going to make a larger batch since 2 of us are using. 
Is it the same consistency as Kccc? The flax I make is just a little to thick and I end up leaving dried snot looking spots on my strands. LOL
What does it smell like? What are the best essential oils for a nice pretty scent? I don't have any oils or herbs so I would need to get some of those too.
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Joja1107 Joja1107 wrote:

Originally posted by Myfaithrising Myfaithrising wrote:

Hi, I'm Myfaithrising and I'm a recovering pj as well although I'm being dragged kicking and screaming. You have no idea how badly I want to buy hair stuff, it's unbelievable. Black Friday might kill me. And let me cosign on the kccc, it is amazing, I make my own flax gel and I can't come close to that gel right there, as a matter of fact I can't find a store gel that works as well. And to clarify, Im talking about the watered down version. Full strength is a sticky gooey tacky mess that I never could get right. Diluting it makes it so much better.

Which gel are you diluting? What is your ratio for the mix?

That's funny Myfaithrising! Perhaps, you, Aharri and I can form a sub group of TMHM - we can call it "The Recovering Product Junkies of the World" - we can discuss withdrawal from shopping symptoms!

I've actually starting creating uses for some of my products that I've accumulated and my hair hates. For example, I made deodorant from shea butter & coconut oil and peppermint essential oil that I had. So far it's worked pretty good - or least no one has told me that it don't! lol... I've found some pretty interesting recipes online for some things like castor oil, shea butter, coconut oil, essential oils, glycerin, etc. Seriously, I have a beauty supply store in my house and plan on packing up some of this stuff and giving to a woman's shelter...
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:22am

Hi Everyone!
Just thought I would provide a flax seed gel recipe that really has me excited.  I was getting low on the KKCC and was low on funds as well(LOL) so I was on a mission this weekend to make a batch of flax seed gel.  I have made a couple of batches before and in my opinion, they were OK.  Well I wanted a mix that had ingredients for shine, hold, moisture.(not too think, not too thin and not too much)- Truly to replace the KKCC. I stalked you tube, the internet, and etsy.com for recipes, ingredients, etc. Went to my local health store(Mom's) and purchased the flaxseeds(in bulk- much cheaper than the bag), and herbs.  I already had the oils.  Total costs- approx $4 and off to mixing I go.  Well can I say YESS!!!!!! The gel came out perfect. I was too excited to try it out and I had just cowashed my hair, so I started apply to 85% dry hair and my hair had life!  Great clumping, sheen, and moisture.  
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Combine in pot, boil on medium/low heat 12-15 minutes</span>
3 cups of water,1/4 c of flax seeds, 1 tsp of irish moss, 1 tsp of burdock root, 1 tsp of marshmallow root 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp of lemon juice

1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp oils( 1 used 1/3 tsp JBCO, 1/3 tsp sweet almond oil, 1/3 tsp jojoba oil, 1 tbsp of EVVO), 1 tsp vitamin E, drops of essential oil

And taken from Rachel CPR I freezed in ice cube tray and can use the cubes as needed. It filled up 1 tray.
KKCC 16 ounces $30, 8 ounces $17, DIY fsg being sold 8 oz $12, FSG 12 oz app $.50.  

costs - .75 lb of flaxseed $1.64, .08 lb of burdock root 2.46, .03 lb of marshmallow root $1.39, .05 lb of Irish moss $1.90 = total $7.39 

THANKS so much for this recipe!!! I'm going to use it definitely use this!!! Im going to make a larger batch since 2 of us are using. 
Is it the same consistency as Kccc? The flax I make is just a little to thick and I end up leaving dried snot looking spots on my strands. LOL
What does it smell like? What are the best essential oils for a nice pretty scent? <span style="font-size: medium; line-height: 1.4;">I don't have any oils or herbs so I would need to get some of those too.</span>
Thanks Naturally50, I will try this along with duckkeisha recipe! I have all of the ingriedents except burdock root. Would you mind advising the purpose of burdock root? Ok, guess it time for me to go shopping LOL!
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Hey y'all wanted to give a quick MHM update.

My hair had been
looking pretty dull this past couple of weeks, I had no idea what was
going on. I was on youtube and protectiveprincess mentioned that KCKT
was more moisturizing for step 4 than tresemme naturals radiant volume. I
went out and got some KCKT and maaaan my hair literally ate it up. No
white residue or anything. Also I picked up some KCCC today because I
ran out, and my hair looks amazing again. I think KCCC is just the best
overall gel for this method..My hair clumps and looks more moisturized
when i use KCCC instead of my other gels (GCTG, Herbal Styling Gel) I
literally don't know why that is because Green Tea Curl Glaze has
simliar ingredients, but all i know is I've been using the green tea gel
for the past 2 months and my hair seemed a bit dry.

I think
it's very important what products you use, even though some products may
be MHM approved, doesn't mean they're gonna give the best results on
your hair. I still use tresemme  for step 1 and 2, but for step 4 & 5
I use KCKT with KCCC. So yeah KCCC and KCKT is going to be my go-to
combo for this method. Happy MHMing people!

Also today is my 5month mark doing the regimen
Hi Aharri, Thanks for the update. I agree completely. For the last 2 steps the KKNT and KKCC I have found are the best...at least until I master the flax seed gel to replace the gel! I do love the Tresemme for steps requiring conditioner. One thing I did start doing to save on the KKNT was after rinsing the clay, I use a bit of the Tresemme to help remove any clay while in the shower and rinse out the Tresemme thoroughly. I then use the KKNT,this way I am not wasting/rinsing any out. As my hair gets more hydrated I find I'm actually using less of both so in the long run I have really saved money. One thing that I DISLIKE about this method is that it has cured my addiction. Hi my name is Crownstar and I'm a recovering Product Junkie..That what I say when I pass by the beauty supply stores no need to go in cause I don't need anything! lol
It has cured my PJ addiction too. Most of these hair companies have terrible ingredients in their products, how on earth do they sell? Anyways I keep trying to find something like KCCC but cheaper because im cheap, but I may have to suck it up for my curls

Congratulations aharri on your 5 months with MHM, sounds like you're doing great ClapClapClap

Crownstar thanks a lot for sending me Tresemme I haven't tried it yet but I bet I'll love it like everyone else doesLOL

To all you recovering product junkies we have tonnes of conditioners and gels on the MHM list. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating..but we do have some that I've never heard people try before...I keep hearing everyone using Kinky curly, tresemme, trader joes and giovanni 
I havent heard people use much anything else on the list. 
I know aharri you tried the green tea and straus herbal gel.
nothidden tried the jessicurl conditioner and she said she was surprised she loved it.
I think we can count on you guys to go through the list so we can have more opinions on other stuff on there LOL LOL

Pinke will be adding a couple of more conditioners and gels...
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/16/mhm-recommended-product-list/

crownstar I'm also still trying to get my Flaxseed gel to play nice : ) I tried to layer it with a little KCCC I had left over by someone's recommendation here on the forum and I loved that better.

I still haven't had time to play with all the recipe suggestions everyone has posted on here.

Ms. DeeKay, shame on you for egging us Recovering Product Junkie's on....I can't wait for the updated recommending gel and conditioner listing though lol
naturally50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturally50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:52am

Hi Everyone!
Combine in pot, boil on medium/low heat 12-15 minutes

What does it smell like? What are the best essential oils for a nice pretty scent? I don't have any oils or herbs so I would need to get some of those too.

The consistency is not gel like(if you know what I mean) as KKCC(maybe because it doesn't have aloe vera gel???) but it isn't sloppy. I've seen alot of recipes that include aloe vera gel. It goes on the hair slick and smooth. I just used lavender oil since I had it but use any fragrance oil that you may like or other essential oils to use as a preservative. I have other essential oils -rosemary, ylang lang(spelling) - probably got these from napturally85 recipe, and I have orange, tangerine that I was using in my body butter mixes. My next batch I'm gonna use essential oils that have purpose(ie, growth, antibacterial) and a couple for fragrance.  It's just what you like, and want.  My goal was use what I had( I only had to purchase the burdock root(strengthens and promotes growth), marshmallow root(for hold) and irish moss(thickness). 
Good Luck!
Sallou14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallou14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 12:32pm
Hi,
I'm sorry that I'm late to the game here. I've been lurking, but I have a question about the process. If someone could point to which page the answer may be on I'd be grateful.

What is the purpose of the clay? I know that clay purifies the hair, but why do we put the conditioner in our hair in step 2 and then just strip it out in step 3 with the clay? 

I'm not finding fault with the process, I believe that this is great, I just want to understand the "why" behind it.

Thanks
gigglemey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigglemey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Sallou14 Sallou14 wrote:

Hi,
I'm sorry that I'm late to the game here. I've been lurking, but I have a question about the process. If someone could point to which page the answer may be on I'd be grateful.

What is the purpose of the clay? I know that clay purifies the hair, but why do we put the conditioner in our hair in step 2 and then just strip it out in step 3 with the clay? 

I'm not finding fault with the process, I believe that this is great, I just want to understand the "why" behind it.

Thanks

Originally posted by Sallou14 Sallou14 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Hiiii^^ Heres Pinkie's response  from pg 55, hopefully this is helpful ^^

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by natural essence natural essence wrote:

thanks for the reply Pinke

I am usually always in conditioner and a shower cap when at home so this should be easy!

I would like to know the rationale for doing the clay wash after deep conditioning...does the clay not remove all of the conditioning benefits from the previous step?

Would we get the same results if we reversed those 2 steps? just a thought

Haha, i get this question a lot. The bentonite clay step is very important. It will not remove the conditioning benefits from the previous step. really it will add to it. But the importance of the step is to further remove build up and pull toxins from the hair. Step 1 will not remove all of it. 

Secondly , it lifts the cuticle, preparing the hair for moisture absorption in the leave in conditioner step. 

Third, it conditions the hair and is one of the things that make your curls really pop. I actually skipped the step once out of lazyness on my friend's hair. The difference was a lot. I spentsignificantly less time having to coax his hair into a curl, it was already curling by the time i rinsed it out, and his hair wasn't white with the conditioner. Areas that didnt curl/define before curled up easy, so the bentonite clay step is important. 

Without clay step:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page21. - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page21.html

With clay step:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page48. - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page48.html

Also another user Sugabanana discovered she was doing the regimen out of order, and that when she fixed it, she got better results and noticed a difference in how her hair responded.

The benefit of it defining curls is why it is done before the leave in step. 

Also, if you were choosing the acv option, it would be even more ineffective to switch the order of the regimen, since acv closes the cuticle.

And, the first clarification step is used primarily to remove gel residue. The first to steps are better at lifting and sliding off the product due to their astringent like properties. The bentonite clay step is a clay. Clay is meant to form a mask on the hair and pull toxins and residue off that way. and you don't want full styling product to already be on your hair when you do it or it won't be as effective.

This is why the order and every step in conjunction is important. In isolation or mixed around, these become just a bunch of random treatments on the hair that won't have their highest potential in working. But done in order, with each step's function accounted for it becomes a system. the puzzle pieces all match up and have a certain function that relies on all the other steps to most efficiently get hydration in the hair. It's very controlled way of moisturizing where you know exactly what you are doing is going to work the same way each time and why. That's why changes and improvement are seen so fast. There's no guesswork. The research has been done, all you have to do is do it.
Myfaithrising View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Myfaithrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 4:35pm

Hi, I'm Myfaithrising and I'm a recovering pj as well although I'm being dragged kicking and screaming. You have no idea how badly I want to buy hair stuff, it's unbelievable. Black Friday might kill me. And let me cosign on the kccc, it is amazing, I make my own flax gel and I can't come close to that gel right there, as a matter of fact I can't find a store gel that works as well. And to clarify, Im talking about the watered down version. Full strength is a sticky gooey tacky mess that I never could get right. Diluting it makes it so much better.

I'm speaking of the one and only kinky curly curling custard, that's the truth right there! My mix is roughly 3 oz in an 8 oz bottle then fill it up with distilled water, magic!!

Edited by Myfaithrising - Sep 03 2014 at 4:38pm
Myfaithrising View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myfaithrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 4:54pm

That's funny Myfaithrising! Perhaps, you, Aharri and I can form a sub group of TMHM - we can call it "The Recovering Product Junkies of the World" - we can discuss withdrawal from shopping symptoms!

I've actually starting creating uses for some of my products that I've accumulated and my hair hates. For example, I made deodorant from shea butter & coconut oil and peppermint essential oil that I had. So far it's worked pretty good - or least no one has told me that it don't! lol... I've found some pretty interesting recipes online for some things like castor oil, shea butter, coconut oil, essential oils, glycerin, etc. Seriously, I have a beauty supply store in my house and plan on packing up some of this stuff and giving to a woman's shelter...

Yes Crownstar, great idea! I'll tap into my inner mistress and see if I can whip up some DIV goodness. I have a bunch of creamy moisturizers that I have to donate to one of the new naturals in my church. I'm having withdrawals already,isn't there someplace in this regimen for my beloved qhemet biologics, my sister said that I could probably use it as a body moisturizer but that seems so disrespectful:)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 288>
  Share Topic