Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 8:31pm
Hey y'all wanted to give a quick MHM update.

My hair had been looking pretty dull this past couple of weeks, I had no idea what was going on. I was on youtube and protectiveprincess mentioned that KCKT was more moisturizing for step 4 than tresemme naturals radiant volume. I went out and got some KCKT and maaaan my hair literally ate it up. No white residue or anything. Also I picked up some KCCC today because I ran out, and my hair looks amazing again. I think KCCC is just the best overall gel for this method..My hair clumps and looks more moisturized when i use KCCC instead of my other gels (GCTG, Herbal Styling Gel) I literally don't know why that is because Green Tea Curl Glaze has simliar ingredients, but all i know is I've been using the green tea gel for the past 2 months and my hair seemed a bit dry.

I think it's very important what products you use, even though some products may be MHM approved, doesn't mean they're gonna give the best results on your hair. I still use tresemme  for step 1 and 2, but for step 4 & 5 I use KCKT with KCCC. So yeah KCCC and KCKT is going to be my go-to combo for this method. Happy MHMing people!

Also today is my 5month mark doing the regimen
Sponsored Links

Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

My hair had been
looking pretty dull this past couple of weeks, I had no idea what was
going on. I was on youtube and protectiveprincess mentioned that KCKT
was more moisturizing for step 4 than tresemme naturals radiant volume. I
went out and got some KCKT and maaaan my hair literally ate it up. No
white residue or anything. Also I picked up some KCCC today because I
ran out, and my hair looks amazing again. I think KCCC is just the best
overall gel for this method..My hair clumps and looks more moisturized
when i use KCCC instead of my other gels (GCTG, Herbal Styling Gel) I
literally don't know why that is because Green Tea Curl Glaze has
simliar ingredients, but all i know is I've been using the green tea gel
for the past 2 months and my hair seemed a bit dry.

I think
it's very important what products you use, even though some products may
be MHM approved, doesn't mean they're gonna give the best results on
your hair. I still use tresemme  for step 1 and 2, but for step 4 & 5
I use KCKT with KCCC. So yeah KCCC and KCKT is going to be my go-to
combo for this method. Happy MHMing people!

Hi Aharri, Thanks for the update. I agree completely. For the last 2 steps the KKNT and KKCC I have found are the best...at least until I master the flax seed gel to replace the gel! I do love the Tresemme for steps requiring conditioner. One thing I did start doing to save on the KKNT was after rinsing the clay, I use a bit of the Tresemme to help remove any clay while in the shower and rinse out the Tresemme thoroughly. I then use the KKNT,this way I am not wasting/rinsing any out. As my hair gets more hydrated I find I'm actually using less of both so in the long run I have really saved money. One thing that I DISLIKE about this method is that it has cured my addiction. Hi my name is Crownstar and I'm a recovering Product Junkie..That what I say when I pass by the beauty supply stores no need to go in cause I don't need anything! lol
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

My hair had been

I think

Hi Aharri, Thanks for the update. I agree completely. For the last 2 steps the KKNT and KKCC I have found are the best...at least until I master the flax seed gel to replace the gel! I do love the Tresemme for steps requiring conditioner. One thing I did start doing to save on the KKNT was after rinsing the clay, I use a bit of the Tresemme to help remove any clay while in the shower and rinse out the Tresemme thoroughly. I then use the KKNT,this way I am not wasting/rinsing any out. As my hair gets more hydrated I find I'm actually using less of both so in the long run I have really saved money. One thing that I DISLIKE about this method is that it has cured my addiction. Hi my name is Crownstar and I'm a recovering Product Junkie..That what I say when I pass by the beauty supply stores no need to go in cause I don't need anything! lol
It has cured my PJ addiction too. Most of these hair companies have terrible ingredients in their products, how on earth do they sell? Anyways I keep trying to find something like KCCC but cheaper because im cheap, but I may have to suck it up for my curls
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by solomonsydelle solomonsydelle wrote:

Originally posted by gigglemey gigglemey wrote:

Originally posted by z3inal3m z3inal3m wrote:

Hi,
This question may have been asked already. I apologize in advance if I did. If I do not want to use the botanical gel is there an alternative that can be used i.e. jojoba oil, coconut oil, argan oil, avocado oil.

I am two days in to my max hydration method and my hair is still feeling pretty stiff and brittle although I can see my hair is absorbing more moisture.

Melanie

Hiiiii, I know I am not one of the elites on here lol but until they return, welcome =) From my understanding the gel is best for sealing in the moisture which is why it is recommended and flax seed is nice, cheap, customizable. I believe you can use oil to seal but it would not be as good of a sealant as a botanical gel because the gel forms that cast over the hair shaft sealing everything in. As for oils some are sensitive to coconut idk if you are... humectant oils like castor oil would have to be layered with another oil like olive oil. so it would be applied olive, castor then olive again so that the castor oil does not start drawing out moisture from your strands. Grapeseed can be used but for some it can be drying. I think as long as its not a humectant and not too heavy to where the clarifying steps cannot remove it you should be fine. I have also seen oil layered under a gel if you wanna try that option =)

Hey z3inal3m! Welcome!

If I may, just wanted to cosign gigglemey's response. Keep in mind that you are still at the beginning of your MHM journey so you are likely in a trial and error stage. I know I went through it. I say this to say, try to stick to the regimen as its laid out precisely. Making a few minor adjustments to technique/measurements could be all you need and not removing gel from your regimen.

If your hair feels crunchy, there are some simple things you can do to lessen the crunch or dryness. Here are a few tips of mine. I got them from watching vids, reading the commentary in the thread and basic trial and error. Hope you don't mind, I just cut and paste from a previous discussion.

1) Make sure my conditioner is adequately diluted and not over-diluted (it should produce slip when applied).
2) Make sure that I apply a little bit more water to my hair before steps 4 and 5.
3) Make sure that I squeeze out excess water from my hair after applying gel.
4)
Make sure that when I squeeze out the excess liquid, I don't reapply it
to other parts of my hair (Yup, I'd love to save those precious drops,
after all Kinky Curly products are not cheap, but doing so never works
for me *shrug*).
5) Take a second to shake my head without hurting myself once my whole head is done.
6) Oh, and if you don't do this - do steps 4 and 5 at the same time.

Here are tips from Lovemycoils03 -

"
1) warm full strength conditioner in microwave for step 2 (no more
than 15 sec) and apply immediately to my hair, then sit under hood dryer
10-15  min. I stopped DCing over night as I experienced quite a bit of
shedding and frizz with that option.
2) No longer use the tea tree tingle shampoo, found it drying
3) Sleep with clay, saves time and improves the definition
4) Use watered down conditioner with slip in step 4. It makes the hair feel soft at least."

Hope these ideas help and I'm sure as you peek around the thread, you'll find some more tips that work for you.

Good luck!

Hi z3inal3m and Welcome!
I agree with all the suggestions above. At 2 days into TMHM you are just getting started! It took me about 3 weeks before I saw a BIG turn. Because I had to keep adjusting to get my gel application right. As mentioned above the gel is what seals in the moisture...hang in there with the gel it gets much better. Have you tried placing a bit of oil after the conditioner but before the gel? I'm not sure about the coconut oil if your hair can tolerate it. Coconut oil had always made my hair dry and brittle no matter how I used. I do use sweet almond oil sometime. Hths.
Myfaithrising View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Myfaithrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 11:13pm
Hi, I'm Myfaithrising and I'm a recovering pj as well although I'm being dragged kicking and screaming. You have no idea how badly I want to buy hair stuff, it's unbelievable. Black Friday might kill me. And let me cosign on the kccc, it is amazing, I make my own flax gel and I can't come close to that gel right there, as a matter of fact I can't find a store gel that works as well. And to clarify, Im talking about the watered down version. Full strength is a sticky gooey tacky mess that I never could get right. Diluting it makes it so much better.
Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Myfaithrising Myfaithrising wrote:

Hi, I'm Myfaithrising and I'm a recovering pj as well although I'm being dragged kicking and screaming. You have no idea how badly I want to buy hair stuff, it's unbelievable. Black Friday might kill me. And let me cosign on the kccc, it is amazing, I make my own flax gel and I can't come close to that gel right there, as a matter of fact I can't find a store gel that works as well. And to clarify, Im talking about the watered down version. Full strength is a sticky gooey tacky mess that I never could get right. Diluting it makes it so much better.

Which gel are you diluting? What is your ratio for the mix?
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 6:52am

Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

My hair had been

I think

It has cured my PJ addiction too. Most of these hair companies have terrible ingredients in their products, how on earth do they sell? Anyways I keep trying to find something like KCCC but cheaper because im cheap, but I may have to suck it up for my curls

Congratulations aharri on your 5 months with MHM, sounds like you're doing great ClapClapClap

Crownstar thanks a lot for sending me Tresemme I haven't tried it yet but I bet I'll love it like everyone else doesLOL

To all you recovering product junkies we have tonnes of conditioners and gels on the MHM list. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating..but we do have some that I've never heard people try before...I keep hearing everyone using Kinky curly, tresemme, trader joes and giovanni 
I havent heard people use much anything else on the list. 
I know aharri you tried the green tea and straus herbal gel.
nothidden tried the jessicurl conditioner and she said she was surprised she loved it.
I think we can count on you guys to go through the list so we can have more opinions on other stuff on there LOL LOL

Pinke will be adding a couple of more conditioners and gels...
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/16/mhm-recommended-product-list/

crownstar I'm also still trying to get my Flaxseed gel to play nice : ) I tried to layer it with a little KCCC I had left over by someone's recommendation here on the forum and I loved that better.

I still haven't had time to play with all the recipe suggestions everyone has posted on here.

Edited by msdeekay - Sep 03 2014 at 6:53am
naturally50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote naturally50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 7:11am
Hi Everyone!
Just thought I would provide a flax seed gel recipe that really has me excited.  I was getting low on the KKCC and was low on funds as well(LOL) so I was on a mission this weekend to make a batch of flax seed gel.  I have made a couple of batches before and in my opinion, they were OK.  Well I wanted a mix that had ingredients for shine, hold, moisture.(not too think, not too thin and not too much)- Truly to replace the KKCC. I stalked you tube, the internet, and etsy.com for recipes, ingredients, etc. Went to my local health store(Mom's) and purchased the flaxseeds(in bulk- much cheaper than the bag), and herbs.  I already had the oils.  Total costs- approx $4 and off to mixing I go.  Well can I say YESS!!!!!! The gel came out perfect. I was too excited to try it out and I had just cowashed my hair, so I started apply to 85% dry hair and my hair had life!  Great clumping, sheen, and moisture.  
My recipe is this(shout out to naturalbeaty75 on instagram). 
Combine in pot, boil on medium/low heat 12-15 minutes
3 cups of water,1/4 c of flax seeds, 1 tsp of irish moss, 1 tsp of burdock root, 1 tsp of marshmallow root 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp of lemon juice

Strain( I use a strainer and a whisk) and add
1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp oils( 1 used 1/3 tsp JBCO, 1/3 tsp sweet almond oil, 1/3 tsp jojoba oil, 1 tbsp of EVVO), 1 tsp vitamin E, drops of essential oil

Let cool .. This  yields 12 ounces of gel.  
And taken from Rachel CPR I freezed in ice cube tray and can use the cubes as needed. It filled up 1 tray.
KKCC 16 ounces $30, 8 ounces $17, DIY fsg being sold 8 oz $12, FSG 12 oz app $.50.  

If you have an inner DIY and 20 minutes, try it out. 

costs - .75 lb of flaxseed $1.64, .08 lb of burdock root 2.46, .03 lb of marshmallow root $1.39, .05 lb of Irish moss $1.90 = total $7.39 

HELLO Flax seed gel my first Holy Grail Product :)

naturally50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturally50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 8:41am
Originally posted by naturally50 naturally50 wrote:

Hi Everyone!
Just thought I would provide a flax seed gel recipe that really has me excited.  I was getting low on the KKCC and was low on funds as well(LOL) so I was on a mission this weekend to make a batch of flax seed gel.  I have made a couple of batches before and in my opinion, they were OK.  Well I wanted a mix that had ingredients for shine, hold, moisture.(not too think, not too thin and not too much)- Truly to replace the KKCC. I stalked you tube, the internet, and etsy.com for recipes, ingredients, etc. Went to my local health store(Mom's) and purchased the flaxseeds(in bulk- much cheaper than the bag), and herbs.  I already had the oils.  Total costs- approx $4 and off to mixing I go.  Well can I say YESS!!!!!! The gel came out perfect. I was too excited to try it out and I had just cowashed my hair, so I started apply to 85% dry hair and my hair had life!  Great clumping, sheen, and moisture.  
My recipe is this(shout out to naturalbeaty75 on instagram). 
Combine in pot, boil on medium/low heat 12-15 minutes
3 cups of water( I used distilled),1/4 c of flax seeds, 1 tsp of irish moss, 1 tsp of burdock root, 1 tsp of marshmallow root 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp of lemon juice

Strain( I use a strainer and a whisk) and add
1 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp oils( 1 used 1/3 tsp JBCO, 1/3 tsp sweet almond oil, 1/3 tsp jojoba oil, 1 tbsp of EVVO), 1 tsp vitamin E, drops of essential oil

Let cool .. This  yields 12 ounces of gel.  
And taken from Rachel CPR I freezed in ice cube tray and can use the cubes as needed. It filled up 1 tray.
KKCC 16 ounces $30, 8 ounces $17, DIY fsg being sold 8 oz $12, FSG 12 oz app $.50.  

If you have an inner DIY and 20 minutes, try it out. 

costs - .75 lb of flaxseed $1.64, .08 lb of burdock root 2.46, .03 lb of marshmallow root $1.39, .05 lb of Irish moss $1.90 = total $7.39 

HELLO Flax seed gel my first Holy Grail Product :)

** I used distilled water.  don't remember if I saw that with henna mixtures(which I also was stalking) or flax seed gel  - but used it anyway :)

Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 8:50am
Also I wanted to point out to those with stinky head/hair that is NOT doing the bald spot regimen or ghe overnight...the funk maybe from the Flaxseed Gel. I just got whiff of the bottle I use for my gel and it was funktified!!!  LOL It smelled like mildew. Anyway me and my daughter use the  same bottle of gel so sometimes she would not put it back in the fridge and it may have went old prior to the 2-3weeks. Just an FYI for all.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 288>
  Share Topic