Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 255256257258259 281>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
solomonsydelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mgood2go Mgood2go wrote:

Originally posted by solomonsydelle solomonsydelle wrote:

Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

I do recall my sister has soft nails and uses Sally Hanson Hard As Nails as a base coat. She has always said that it keeps her nails from breaking and chipping. Hth

Ooh, I can swear by that stuff. My friend had some at her house and I used it. It worked very well.

Sadly, I can't find that here, least I don't think so.

Will put it on my list of things to have a family member bring to me when next I get visitors.

I just hope that as I continue MHMing, and slow down how often I wash, my hands will be in water less.

Thanks for the reminder and I'm glad MHM is giving you soft hands.

solomonsydelle: in addition to a nail hardener, I take a Hair, Nails and Skin vitamin. My nails have improved a lot. It may be worth a try. HTH

Thanks for the tip, Mgood2go!
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Is everyone using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to add to to Detoxifying Clay Treatment or will any Olive Oil do? Does it make a difference?

I use sweet almond oil as I didn't feel like buying EVOO.

If you have olive oil (not EVOO), I say use what you have, and then when you finish with that, switch to EVOO or an oil that is beneficial (not harmful) to your hair. But if you can afford to scoop up some EVOO right now, you might as well.

Just my humble opinion, but you can wait for Pinke or Msdeekay to answer you.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by naturallyme247 naturallyme247 wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

[QUOTE=solomonsydelle]May I ask if anyone else is experiencing nail damage while doing MHM? My nails keep chipping on the sides. And, none of my nail polishes have been able to hold up since I started the method. I clearly have my fingers in water too much.

I'm wondering if I should go back to taking vitamins. Maybe that might help my body overall, and give my nails some more strength.

Looking for any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
sorry I really haven't had this experience but then I have strong nails what I have noticed is that my hands are much softer I guess because they stay in conditioner lol!

Have you tried wearing gloves? 

I'm laughing over here because of how simple a solution your suggestion is. Of course, it never even crossed my mind. LOL I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Muslimah Dominicana Muslimah Dominicana wrote:

Set Back Combing Out Your Curls: Peace, Queens!! I would like to know, has anyone combed out their curls, after committing to finger detangling only? If so, did you experience any set back on your curls definitions? & if so, how long did it take for your curls to bounce back to being as define as they were before you combed it out?  I've been doing the MHM everyday for a whole month now I've completed the cycle 14x so far (breaking every cycle in 2 or 3 days by DC overnight & claying overnight, sometimes) & everything is going great, without any complications or set backs, so far... (((Thank Youuu, Pinke!! Xoxoxo!!)) However, I did recently started noticing a few, random mating on some of the middle of my curls while I was smoothing in my conditioner, so I immediately started doubting my finger detangling technique, since I am fairly new at it... So I decided to comb my hair out & make sure that its actually as detangled as it feels when I run my finger through.... Well, it turns out, I opened a can of worms... €:( When I fingered detangled it felt detangled, but when I used a wide tooth comb, it felt like every inch of my hair felt unusually tangled, & as a result, I lost a massive amount of hair detangling with the comb... My curls was very clumped & defined when I started combing but by the time I finished detangling (under water with conditioner) it was no longer clumped... €:( My curls are still there but they are loose & not as defined as it was before I combed it out... I definitely feel like it has been a complete set back as far as my curls definition... €:( My fault, entirely, ofcourse!! €:( Smh Question: Is it normal for you to feel your curls tangled with the comb when you have been finger detangling for a while? Has anyone experienced this? Is it recommended to comb out your curls once in a while? I heard some sisters who only finger detangle, but comb detangles once a month or periodically... I would like to know if this is actually necessary or recommended for the purpose of completely removing shed hairs & if so, how often... Or is combing our curls with a comb, something that we should absolutely avoid? Thank you in advance!! xoxo

So sorry you experienced a setback.

From my understanding, a comb is unnecessary with this regimen. Finger detangling should suffice. As such, it is normal, IMO, that a comb would disturb the clumps you now have. However, I don't think this setback will truly throw you off. As you continue to gain max hydration, your clumps should return and as long as you don't comb anymore, they should settle back in just fine. I hope so, at least.

Don't let this setback throw you off, okay?

Let us know if your clumps return when next you wash.

I also wonder what curly girls with long hair do - do they ever use combs?

Good luck Muslimah Dominicana.

Myfaithrising View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Myfaithrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 3:48pm
Hey curlies, yup I used both varieties of bentonite clay found no discernable difference between the two. Has anyone else used both and felt a difference?

Edited by Myfaithrising - Aug 31 2014 at 3:49pm
4abcutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4abcutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:25pm
Hi MHM friends,

I'm entering week 5 of this method and I'm excited. Thus far, I've only used the ACV for step 1. My problem, and I want to know if anyone else has this problem is that I'm still seeing frizzy strains. I have a few hairs that are curly from root to ends, some are a frizzy mess. Is anyone else experiencing these issues.

Here are my steps in detail.

*every 2-3 days

Step 1 ACV for 30 min

Rinse

Step 2 DC using Luv Naturals conditional luv step 3. Steam.

Rinse

Step 3 Bentonite clay
4oz of Aloe Juice
3 teaspoons of clay
1 teaspoon of EVOO
0.5 teaspoon of honey

15 min then rinse in shower

Step 4

watered down KKNT Leave in

Step 5 No gel here.

Shower cap for 10 min, then apply coconut oil. Then Gel.

Bonnet dryer for an hour on cool.

Based on what I'm doing will I ever reach mhm? Or will it just take longer? ?

Also, I WAS one of those who swore I'd never use BS.... but I think I'll try it on the next wash day.

Thanks for reading.

Oh & lastly, I use distilled water for steaming and spring water for mixing my Bentonite clay & watered down KKNT. On rinse steps, it's the faucet.
Mgood2go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mgood2go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by Muslimah Dominicana Muslimah Dominicana wrote:

Set Back Combing Out Your Curls: Peace, Queens!! I would like to know, has anyone combed out their curls, after committing to finger detangling only? If so, did you experience any set back on your curls definitions? & if so, how long did it take for your curls to bounce back to being as define as they were before you combed it out?  I've been doing the MHM everyday for a whole month now I've completed the cycle 14x so far (breaking every cycle in 2 or 3 days by DC overnight & claying overnight, sometimes) & everything is going great, without any complications or set backs, so far... (((Thank Youuu, Pinke!! Xoxoxo!!)) However, I did recently started noticing a few, random mating on some of the middle of my curls while I was smoothing in my conditioner, so I immediately started doubting my finger detangling technique, since I am fairly new at it... So I decided to comb my hair out & make sure that its actually as detangled as it feels when I run my finger through.... Well, it turns out, I opened a can of worms... €:( When I fingered detangled it felt detangled, but when I used a wide tooth comb, it felt like every inch of my hair felt unusually tangled, & as a result, I lost a massive amount of hair detangling with the comb... My curls was very clumped & defined when I started combing but by the time I finished detangling (under water with conditioner) it was no longer clumped... €:( My curls are still there but they are loose & not as defined as it was before I combed it out... I definitely feel like it has been a complete set back as far as my curls definition... €:( My fault, entirely, ofcourse!! €:( Smh Question: Is it normal for you to feel your curls tangled with the comb when you have been finger detangling for a while? Has anyone experienced this? Is it recommended to comb out your curls once in a while? I heard some sisters who only finger detangle, but comb detangles once a month or periodically... I would like to know if this is actually necessary or recommended for the purpose of completely removing shed hairs & if so, how often... Or is combing our curls with a comb, something that we should absolutely avoid? Thank you in advance!! xoxo

So sorry you experienced a setback.

From my understanding, a comb is unnecessary with this regimen. Finger detangling should suffice. As such, it is normal, IMO, that a comb would disturb the clumps you now have. However, I don't think this setback will truly throw you off. As you continue to gain max hydration, your clumps should return and as long as you don't comb anymore, they should settle back in just fine. I hope so, at least.

Don't let this setback throw you off, okay?

Let us know if your clumps return when next you wash.

I also wonder what curly girls with long hair do - do they ever use combs?

Good luck Muslimah Dominicana.

This is a great question. I would think our curls clumps should re-form with the next washing. The clay step is when I see the most clumps formed. I've been tempted to comb through my hair to detangle. Muslimah, did you redo the steps? Maybe trying to detangle in smaller sections will prevent the mating problem. I find that I need to detangle in small sections at every step just to make sure the product is in. I'm sure your curl definition will return. IMO, an occasional comb out should be okay. HTH!
naturallyme247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturallyme247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by naturallyme247 naturallyme247 wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

[QUOTE=solomonsydelle]May I ask if anyone else is experiencing nail damage while doing MHM? My nails keep chipping on the sides. And, none of my nail polishes have been able to hold up since I started the method. I clearly have my fingers in water too much.

I'm wondering if I should go back to taking vitamins. Maybe that might help my body overall, and give my nails some more strength.

Looking for any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
sorry I really haven't had this experience but then I have strong nails what I have noticed is that my hands are much softer I guess because they stay in conditioner lol!

Have you tried wearing gloves? 

I'm laughing over here because of how simple a solution your suggestion is. Of course, it never even crossed my mind. LOL I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

Yeah, anytime :) I also recommend you use a sturdy yellow glove instead of those light white ones that will maybe end up ripping and have you purchasing a new pack every week.  
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

Yes I've tried both the sodium and the calcium bentonite. I did notice that the calcium is less drying than the sodium imo, but the difference isn't too noticeable. 

Thanks! ...That's good to know ... I figured there would at least be a slight difference ... but it's cool that it probably won't cause a problem if some people only have access to the Sodium Bentonite.

Did you find that you had to add more water to get the right consistency or tweak the recipe for the Clay Treatment in any other way when using the Sodium Bentonite?
The sodium bentonite needs less water than the calcium. The sodium has way way more slip than the calcium clay. For the calcium clay I noticed I had to make sure it had enough water in it to spread through my hair properly. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 4abcutie 4abcutie wrote:

Hi MHM friends,

I'm entering week 5 of this method and I'm excited. Thus far, I've only used the ACV for step 1. My problem, and I want to know if anyone else has this problem is that I'm still seeing frizzy strains. I have a few hairs that are curly from root to ends, some are a frizzy mess. Is anyone else experiencing these issues.

Here are my steps in detail.

*every 2-3 days

Step 1 ACV for 30 min

Rinse

Step 2 DC using Luv Naturals conditional luv step 3. Steam.

Rinse

Step 3 Bentonite clay
4oz of Aloe Juice
3 teaspoons of clay
1 teaspoon of EVOO
0.5 teaspoon of honey

15 min then rinse in shower

Step 4

watered down KKNT Leave in

Step 5 No gel here.

Shower cap for 10 min, then apply coconut oil. Then Gel.

Bonnet dryer for an hour on cool.

Based on what I'm doing will I ever reach mhm? Or will it just take longer? ?

Also, I WAS one of those who swore I'd never use BS.... but I think I'll try it on the next wash day.

Thanks for reading.

Oh & lastly, I use distilled water for steaming and spring water for mixing my Bentonite clay & watered down KKNT. On rinse steps, it's the faucet.

Hey there!

Is this the conditioner you are using? http://www.luvnaturals.com/products/conditioner

If so, it has Glycerin, dl-Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Silk Amino Acids (culled from the site). All of these are not to be used for the regimen. At least, not if you expect to reach max hydration.

I highlighted the aloe vera and coconut oil in your regimen as well because I think I read in the thread that for some people, they cause drying. Not sure if aloe juice is a culprit but hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

Anyway, I think if you change your conditioner you'll probably see more progress.

I know this thread is over 250-pages deep and hard to navigate. But, if you can, take a look at msdeekay's blog (and Youtube page) and the maxhydrationmethod.com site. (Aharris also has good videos, oh and Protective Princess. Actually, there are quite a few people with good info that you can check out.) The information might be easier to access. That way, if you can't find your answers here, you also have those resources (and the facebook page) at your disposal.

Feel free to ask more questions here though. I'm sure people will chime in soon.

Good luck and keep us all updated!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair