Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CocoGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 6:17pm
Is everyone using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to add to to Detoxifying Clay Treatment or will any Olive Oil do? Does it make a difference?
Sponsored Links

CocoGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 6:28pm
Another Question:

I noticed that most people are using the Aztec Secret Healing Clay brand which is Calcium Bentonite, however I am seeing Sodium Bentonite Clay on a lot of bulk herb & oil websites. I've read that Sodium Bentonite is stronger than the Calcium Bentonite so I wanted to know if any of you have noticed a difference is how your hair reacts between the 2?

I was thinking that if the Calcium version was more gentle but still effective, it might be good to stipulate that this is the version we should use for consistent results ... if not, it would be nice to know that using either variety will give consistent results ... just thinking out loud ... 

I asked the same question on the growing MHM thread on LHCF and @myfaithrising stated that she used both and noticed no difference so that is very promising Smile
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Another Question:

I noticed that most people are using the Aztec Secret Healing Clay brand which is Calcium Bentonite, however I am seeing Sodium Bentonite Clay on a lot of bulk herb & oil websites. I've read that Sodium Bentonite is stronger than the Calcium Bentonite so I wanted to know if any of you have noticed a difference is how your hair reacts between the 2?

I was thinking that if the Calcium version was more gentle but still effective, it might be good to stipulate that this is the version we should use for consistent results ... if not, it would be nice to know that using either variety will give consistent results ... just thinking out loud ... 

I asked the same question on the growing MHM thread on LHCF and @myfaithrising stated that she used both and noticed no difference so that is very promising Smile
Yes I've tried both the sodium and the calcium bentonite. I did notice that the calcium is less drying than the sodium imo, but the difference isn't too noticeable. 
CocoGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

Yes I've tried both the sodium and the calcium bentonite. I did notice that the calcium is less drying than the sodium imo, but the difference isn't too noticeable. 

Thanks! ...That's good to know ... I figured there would at least be a slight difference ... but it's cool that it probably won't cause a problem if some people only have access to the Sodium Bentonite.

Did you find that you had to add more water to get the right consistency or tweak the recipe for the Clay Treatment in any other way when using the Sodium Bentonite?
naturallyme247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturallyme247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

[QUOTE=solomonsydelle]May I ask if anyone else is experiencing nail damage while doing MHM? My nails keep chipping on the sides. And, none of my nail polishes have been able to hold up since I started the method. I clearly have my fingers in water too much.

I'm wondering if I should go back to taking vitamins. Maybe that might help my body overall, and give my nails some more strength.

Looking for any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
sorry I really haven't had this experience but then I have strong nails what I have noticed is that my hands are much softer I guess because they stay in conditioner lol!

Have you tried wearing gloves? 
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Is everyone using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to add to to Detoxifying Clay Treatment or will any Olive Oil do? Does it make a difference?
Yes use Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 8:45am
I had to let the dust settle for awhile, because I've been busy getting back to school and everything. But here are my thoughts on Osa Osula 's Max Hydration on 4c hair Yay or Nay.

Based on her comments under
the video alone, I haven't bothered watching the video. Some one did
tell me in a email about what she said, though. Basically a whole video
spent spreading misinformation to scare people away from doing MHM. Or
that MHM is a jerri curl?

I did not like her tone in the
comments section as well. Based on an email someone sent telling me what
she said in the video, her main issue is with the bakingsoda, and I
also believe an underlying distain or anger about curl definition. Fact
of the matter, her experience is with mixing shampoo and (who knows how
much) bakingsoda together and inherently stripping her hair. That is you
stripping your hair, and has nothing to do with any ability of the ph
to eat holes in the hair cuticle. When I use a sulfate shampoo, I do not
go around thinking my hair has been relaxed. Ph or no ph. That does not
prevent the hair from getting stripped if you stripped your hair. I
don't understand why you stripping your hair would automatically lead
you to blame the ph. Yes the ph is what allows the oils and product to
lift off your hair, that is why we use it as a cleansing agent. That is the same reason acv is used, and it is ph balanced. But it
drying your hair out has nothing to do with it relaxing or jerri curling
your hair in anyway. If that were the case, all sulfate shampoos would
be relaxers as well. Castille soap, or black soap or any cowash or
shampoo containing a soaponified oil-- would be a relaxer. Bentonite
clay, I guess it is a relaxer too.

What i really do not
appreciate is the need to be holier than thou about what people choose
to do with their hair. Curl definition is a problem- but heat training,
which basically breaks the bonds of the hair and causes cuticle damage,
leaving the hair straighter-- that is safe, that is okay. Long blonde
extension braids are totally accepting of her natural texture and color,
since it is a protective style. Curl definition means you are trying to
be something you are not, even though this is supposed to be a healthy
hair regimen that increases moisture levels and curl definition is a by
product.  This regimen that has so many people getting rid of the issues
that cause them to have issues with their hairs health, due to chronic
dehydration. Growing back edges, hair retaining length faster. It just
shows how she jumped on the wagon with assumptions and accusations ready
to fire, but has done no actual research about what the regimen is and
why it is valuable.

The argument that we need to accept our hair
the way it is, is really getting old. That is just relative to this
underlying contempt that some naturals seem to hold against curl
definition. They see it as a personal insult. I could easily ask her, where the videos of her embracing
her wash n go are, her hair in its truly shrunken state, with little
product. "Water and oil" right? Since conditioner and gel is a bad thing
now. Most wash n go's I have seen regardless of texture have been done with conditioner and gel, as per cgmethod. And yes, afro hair is curly. Even when my hair was in it's driest
state, I always knew that. You can't have 80-90% shrinkage and claim to
not have curls. It reminds me about how someone came on my channel
awhile back to educate and inform me about how i didn't know my own curl
pattern, then proceeded to show me this :
http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Curly-Hair-Type-Chart.png

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. And some photo of someone with a stretched out afro. Sleepy

http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Type-4-hair.png
4c
hair is blow dried now? This is the exact reason why people do not know
their curl pattern, or believe they do not have curls.

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10518038_742676629109433_1454062806_n.jpg

This is a jerri curl? My texture sure does looks like 3c hair. Wacko
It has not loosened at all! The diameter and shape of my product free
shed hair has not changed. If you have not realized that is some of my
shed hair next to an embroidery bead.

Here is the process of a
jerri curl. relaxer is applied, washed out, and put in rollers. the
bonds of the hair have to be broken, and then it is set into a curly
shape with rollers. Otherwise, what would you have? A simple relaxer, or
texturizer. We do not use rollers in this regimen. so Lets take out the
rollers, and say-- we are texturizing our hair then. Lets take a look
at a texturizer:

Texturizers and relaxers do not make the hair more curly or defined. This is basic
information. The reason a jerri curl does not look like a straight up
relaxer is because rollers are put in the hair afterward. Which
obviously we do not do, so she must be talking about the
texturizing/relaxing aspect. A texturizer is just a relaxer left in for
less time. I think I went into detail about relaxers not making the hair
more curly on this page: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10895589.html?KW=texturizer#10895589

There is no one on the planet with tightly coiled hair who is going to get a texturizer and their hair is going to come out like this:

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/925064_1451970845081285_1534288898_n.jpg

It is going to come out like this. Because it's a texturizer.

So
no, this is not eating holes in the hair. If holes were being eaten in
the hair your curl pattern would loosen, that is just the way it works.
And it would reeaally hard for Aketafitgirl to have nearly waist length
hair right now. And she has had max hydration since december 2012.

If
bakingsoda is the sole culprit, and I'm just lying to everyone about
all this information pertaining to it being the hydration factor that
works, Why is it that there are people doing the acv option and it works
just as well? Why is it that there are people doing the plain cgmethod,
and they are able to reach max hydration? Why is it, that I was able to
get the same exact results in a bald spot that grew out of my scalp
with max hydration from simply GHEing for 3 months straight? Why is it,
that people doing this regimen are retaining length faster? Why does our
hair feel stronger healthier, and look healthier and nothing like a texturizer? Is it really just the gel? So what about my product free hair, curling from root to tip?

Bakingsoda
is a relaxer? So is bentonite clay a relaxer? Relaxers make hair curly
now? Texturizers make our hair curly? Because I don't remember ever hearing a
texturizer and curls clumping from root to tip. You saw the texturized
wng video above. Loosening your curls simply does not create definition.
That is why you can have people with 3c hair who believe their hair is
4c.

So to not even know that basic information, and then proceed
to "warn" people about a healthy hair regimen with these "facts" is
really irresponsible. All on the basis that what, people with 4c hair
who seek to define their own natural coils (not make them looser, which
is what happens when you heat train) is somehow a form of self hate. Why
are people doing this? How can you judge down on us, while at the same
time wearing a blond extension braid? What if I turned around and said,
If After 10 years, if God wanted your hair to be long, this and that.
And you shouldn't try to be something you are not by wearing extension
braids. I'm gonna be blunt-- It just screams hypocrisy. She sounds like
the Nazi to me, dictating what other people need to do with their hair,
accusing them of self-hate when one could very well say the same about
her. But I guess the rules don't apply to you? The reason I am
emphasizing her hair as well, is because this reminds me of an article a
while back that I read

http://actsoffaithblog.com/for-the-uninformed-this-is-what-natural-hair-looked-like-before-the-curly-infiltration-aka-new-black-took-over

This
is the true Nazi-ism. Telling people they can't wear certain hair
styles because of their hair type is ridiculous and the fact that you
are peddling that on your channel, and on top of it backing it up with
misinformation is unbelievable. When someone turns that around on you,
and says you need to stop wearing blonde braids or doing bantu knot
outs, maybe you will think twice about doing the same thing to others.

[/QUOTE] I hate to even bring this nonsense back up...Pinkecube, thank you for taking your precious time from helping people interested in TMHM to address Osu's cheap shots at the method.

I was telling a friend about the video and the comments under both videos; how she was down right rude and abrasive. My friend told me there were no comments like I discussed with her! I went back to the videos and sure enough the nasty comments that she wrote that we ALL read are now missing, including Aharri's....this is her INTEGRITY or perhaps she had a technical issue and the comments that asked her to defend her stance got deleted by accident...yeah right!

I'm going to leave this alone and not dwell on and get back to the positivity of this board but had to tell the members about the comments all of a sudden disappearing on both videos!
CocoGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:52am
I've been trying to find additional conditioners that would be MHM approved ... specifically ones that have a large quantity, that are inexpensive & easy to purchase on the ground

They have some questionable ingredients but most are located near the bottom of the ingredients list and appear no worse than the highly recommended TRESemme Naturals Radiant Volume Sweet Orange & Lemongrass on the surface.

What do you think? Would these be acceptable/recommended?

Does anyone know what exactly is "cholesterol" - is it just another Oil or is it strengthening like protein, etc?

Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol Crème Conditioner

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Olive Oil, Cholesterol, Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Fragrance, Vitamin E, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Phosphoric Acid, DMDM HydantoinDisodium EDTA, Yellow #5, Blue #1.

Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol w/ Argan Oil Conditioner

Water(Aqua), Stearmidopopyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Argan (Spinosa) Argan Kernel Oil, Carrot (Daucus Carota Sativa) Seed Oil,Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Leaf Oil, Juglans Nigra (Black Walnut) Leaf Extract, CholesterolAloe Vera(Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Chamomilla (Recruita) Extract, Indian Hemp Extract,Fragrance,Vitamin E, Methyl & Propyl Paraben,Phosphoric Acid, Dmdm, Disodium Edta,Yellow 5 &6.

Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus Mango Conditioner

Water, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter, Cholesterol, Soybean Oil, Safflower Oil,Wheat Germ Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Fragrance, Vitamin E, Methyl Paraben Propyl Paraben, Phosphoric Acid, Sodium Chloride DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Yellow #5, Yellow #6

Are the "Salts" in the following conditioners too high up on the ingredients list?

Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine Conditioner

Water (Aqua) , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Fragrance , Lactic Acid , Potassium Chloride , Disodium Edta , Peg 150 Distearate , 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1 , 3 Diol , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Polysorbate 20 ,Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Oil , VanillaPlanifolia Fruit Extract , Passiflora Incarnata Flower Extract , Yellow 5 (Ci 19140) , Red 33 (Ci 17200)

Suave Naturals Refreshing Waterfall Mist Conditioner

Water (Aqua) , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Fragrance (Parfum) , Lactic Acid ,Potassium Chloride , Disodium Edta , Dmdm Hydantoin , Peg-150 Distearate , Tocopheryl Acetate(Vitamin E Acetate) , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Spirulina Maxima Extract ,Mentha Aquatica Leaf Extract , Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract , Blue 1 (Ci 42090) , Red 33 (Ci17200)

Edited by CocoGlow - Aug 31 2014 at 10:54am
carameltresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carameltresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:57am
Great Job CoCoGlow! I was thinking the same thing about this Tresemme Naturals with Aloe Vera and Avocado.  It has the exact ingredients of the recommended one with the exception of the additional two ingredients and its only $4.99.  Take a look....

• Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Behentrimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Chloride, Lactic Acid, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG-150 Distearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Lauroyl Lysine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.
Muslimah Dominicana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah Dominicana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 12:05pm
Set Back Combing Out Your Curls: Peace, Queens!! I would like to know, has anyone combed out their curls, after committing to finger detangling only? If so, did you experience any set back on your curls definitions? & if so, how long did it take for your curls to bounce back to being as define as they were before you combed it out?  I've been doing the MHM everyday for a whole month now I've completed the cycle 14x so far (breaking every cycle in 2 or 3 days by DC overnight & claying overnight, sometimes) & everything is going great, without any complications or set backs, so far... (((Thank Youuu, Pinke!! Xoxoxo!!)) However, I did recently started noticing a few, random mating on some of the middle of my curls while I was smoothing in my conditioner, so I immediately started doubting my finger detangling technique, since I am fairly new at it... So I decided to comb my hair out & make sure that its actually as detangled as it feels when I run my finger through.... Well, it turns out, I opened a can of worms... €:( When I fingered detangled it felt detangled, but when I used a wide tooth comb, it felt like every inch of my hair felt unusually tangled, & as a result, I lost a massive amount of hair detangling with the comb... My curls was very clumped & defined when I started combing but by the time I finished detangling (under water with conditioner) it was no longer clumped... €:( My curls are still there but they are loose & not as defined as it was before I combed it out... I definitely feel like it has been a complete set back as far as my curls definition... €:( My fault, entirely, ofcourse!! €:( Smh Question: Is it normal for you to feel your curls tangled with the comb when you have been finger detangling for a while? Has anyone experienced this? Is it recommended to comb out your curls once in a while? I heard some sisters who only finger detangle, but comb detangles once a month or periodically... I would like to know if this is actually necessary or recommended for the purpose of completely removing shed hairs & if so, how often... Or is combing our curls with a comb, something that we should absolutely avoid? Thank you in advance!! xoxo

Edited by Muslimah Dominicana - Aug 31 2014 at 12:18pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 254255256257258 288>
  Share Topic