Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
duckkeisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckkeisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 1:49am
Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

Originally posted by duckkeisha duckkeisha wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are enjoying ur journey to max hydration.   For those of you who use flaxseed gel as their botanical gel I just wanted to update you on an aha moment I had with my most recent wash n go.

I usually use Rachelcpr's recipe but I tweaked it a bit as per suggestions I received on earlier posts.

6 cups of water
1/2 cup flaxseeds
2 tbsp marshmallow root (helps w/ hold--gives a 8-10 hold)
1 tsp Irish moss powder (for thickening)
1-2 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 heaping tbsp of kccc
4 drops lemon essential oil
1 tbsp agave nectar

I know it sounds like a lot of water but after it comes to a boil I let it simmer for approx 20-30 mins so I can get a much thicker consistency. Once done I strain it immediately and add the rest of the ingredients, mixing with a whisk to make sure everything is incorporated.

I've done the complete regimen 6 times (q 3 days) & this has been my best wash n go yet. By adding the kccc and aloe vera gel my curls were weighed down more. Plus I eliminated having to add kccc to each section of hair after applying flaxseed gel.

When my hair dried it was super curly and defined, no poofy roots and no crunch.

Anyways sorry for the long post

P.s. since starting the mhm I've contracted a serious case of H-I-H syndrome *hand-in-hair*. My hair is at its most manageable state yet. Thanks pinkecube and msdeekay for all ur hard work! !!♥♥♥
Thanks for the recipe; I will definitely try it....I never thought of adding the KCCC in the mix! Quick question, did it leave your hair dry? The recipe I was working on left my hair dry....lol

Hey Crownstar,

My hair dried a bit crunchy. .but I am very heavy-handed with the flaxseed gel.   I find that after I sotc or do the twist, roll and tuck that all the crunch disappers leaving my hair soft with good hold

HTH

Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 2:05am
Originally posted by naturallyme247 naturallyme247 wrote:

So, this is another "perspective" on the maximum hydration method and I just wanted to know what you guys think of this woman research into this method. She claims that this method acts exactly like a jheri curls because we're removing the "shingles" in our hair and add conditioner. 

I'll let you know my thoughts but I would really appreciates others thoughts and especially yours too pinkecube if and when you have the time. 

Here are the steps to getting a chemical free jheri curl

1. Use gentle, chemical-free shampoo. Shampoos containing sulfates, alcohols, and plastics are tough on African-American hair, causing it to become brittle and break more easily. Using a chemical-free shampoo keeps the hair shaft strong, providing a good foundation for natural, soft curls. 

2. Use a leave-in conditioner. Moisture is key when it comes to defined curls. While your hair is still wet, cover it with a good natural leave-in conditioner that contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter and argan oil. These trap moisture in to keep your hair soft.

3. Section your hair into several parts. This will make it easier to twist your curls into shape. Each one will need to be shaped individually. Hold the sections apart using clips.

4.Apply curling custard or cream to the first section. Curling cream or curling custard are products made with natural ingredients that promote soft, shiny curls. Apply plenty of product to the first section, using your fingers and a wide-tooth comb to smooth it through. 

5.Lasts tips requires you twist and night and wake up with nice jheri curls.

Okay so here is my take. Since she never talked about looking at either a maximally hydrated hair and or chemical free done jheri curled hair underneath a microscope and comparing and contrasting the two I don't think she can make the claim that we've lost our "shingles" and or that we are getting the same results of that of a chemical free jheri curl. How would she know what's going with our hair if she hasn't studied it? This is her assumption but she's going on weak evidence. One, she claims that the maximum hydrated method is exactly like that of chemical free jherr curl method. WRONG. We're told NOT to use shampoos and second shampoos can ONLY strip your hair they don't open you're cuticles like acv rinse would or baking soda would. 

Then she talks about how this method is simply making our hair more porous....but why would we be told to do light protein treatments every now and then..if the point of this method is to make our hair more porous? 

She claims the baking soda is making the hair "more porous" because it's akaline and high in ph level and that's why we're recieving the results that we are BUT she also notes that acv rinse in used in this method and that it is NOT AKALINE AND HIGH IN PH LEVEL BUT CAN BE USED AND YOU'LL SEE THE SAME RESULTS. If you put two and two together then you should note that..if you're claiming that it's the high akaline and high ph level that giving us our results in this method but yet the same method also says that you can use acv rince which is  very low in alkine and low in ph levels and still get the same result than you must note that that high ph level and alkaline is not the cause of our results. Plus for a permanent change in hair you would need a ph level of 9...baking soda is 8 and with conditionerand honey at normal ph level of hair 4-7. 

I don't think this method is making out hair more porpus. I simple think that she does not understand hair. All we are doing is LIFTING our cuticles (barries around our hair) and putting moisture in our hair. Not ruining our hair by opening our hair strands. 

Then she claims we only get results (or curly hair) when we put product in but  I guess she didn't read the part where we're suppose ot be seeing results WITHOUT PRODUCT! 

I could go on but the fact that she claims that those two methods are the same without acknowledge the major difference...clay/deep conditioning/the amount of time...and how does she even know that the chemical free jheri curlw works..or the results of it compared to our results. You can't get good results without the clay with max hydration method which the chemical free jherri curls method doesn't have...so yeah. 

Thoughts?

I had to let the dust settle for awhile, because I've been busy getting back to school and everything. But here are my thoughts on Osa Osula 's Max Hydration on 4c hair Yay or Nay.

Based on her comments under the video alone, I haven't bothered watching the video. Some one did tell me in a email about what she said, though. Basically a whole video spent spreading misinformation to scare people away from doing MHM. Or that MHM is a jerri curl?

I did not like her tone in the comments section as well. Based on an email someone sent telling me what she said in the video, her main issue is with the bakingsoda, and I also believe an underlying distain or anger about curl definition. Fact of the matter, her experience is with mixing shampoo and (who knows how much) bakingsoda together and inherently stripping her hair. That is you stripping your hair, and has nothing to do with any ability of the ph to eat holes in the hair cuticle. When I use a sulfate shampoo, I do not go around thinking my hair has been relaxed. Ph or no ph. That does not prevent the hair from getting stripped if you stripped your hair. I don't understand why you stripping your hair would automatically lead you to blame the ph. Yes the ph is what allows the oils and product to lift off your hair, that is why we use it as a cleansing agent. That is the same reason acv is used, and it is ph balanced. But it drying your hair out has nothing to do with it relaxing or jerri curling your hair in anyway. If that were the case, all sulfate shampoos would be relaxers as well. Castille soap, or black soap or any cowash or shampoo containing a soaponified oil-- would be a relaxer. Bentonite clay, I guess it is a relaxer too.

What i really do not appreciate is the need to be holier than thou about what people choose to do with their hair. Curl definition is a problem- but heat training, which basically breaks the bonds of the hair and causes cuticle damage, leaving the hair straighter-- that is safe, that is okay. Long blonde extension braids are totally accepting of her natural texture and color, since it is a protective style. Curl definition means you are trying to be something you are not, even though this is supposed to be a healthy hair regimen that increases moisture levels and curl definition is a by product.  This regimen that has so many people getting rid of the issues that cause them to have issues with their hairs health, due to chronic dehydration. Growing back edges, hair retaining length faster. It just shows how she jumped on the wagon with assumptions and accusations ready to fire, but has done no actual research about what the regimen is and why it is valuable.

The argument that we need to accept our hair the way it is, is really getting old. That is just relative to this underlying contempt that some naturals seem to hold against curl definition. They see it as a personal insult. I could easily ask her, where the videos of her embracing her wash n go are, her hair in its truly shrunken state, with little product. "Water and oil" right? Since conditioner and gel is a bad thing now. Most wash n go's I have seen regardless of texture have been done with conditioner and gel, as per cgmethod. And yes, afro hair is curly. Even when my hair was in it's driest state, I always knew that. You can't have 80-90% shrinkage and claim to not have curls. It reminds me about how someone came on my channel awhile back to educate and inform me about how i didn't know my own curl pattern, then proceeded to show me this :
http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Curly-Hair-Type-Chart.png

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. And some photo of someone with a stretched out afro. Sleepy

http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Type-4-hair.png
4c hair is blow dried now? This is the exact reason why people do not know their curl pattern, or believe they do not have curls.

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10518038_742676629109433_1454062806_n.jpg

This is a jerri curl? My texture sure does looks like 3c hair. Wacko It has not loosened at all! The diameter and shape of my product free shed hair has not changed. If you have not realized that is some of my shed hair next to an embroidery bead.

Here is the process of a jerri curl. relaxer is applied, washed out, and put in rollers. the bonds of the hair have to be broken, and then it is set into a curly shape with rollers. Otherwise, what would you have? A simple relaxer, or texturizer. We do not use rollers in this regimen. so Lets take out the rollers, and say-- we are texturizing our hair then. Lets take a look at a texturizer:

Texturizers and relaxers do not make the hair more curly or defined. This is basic information. The reason a jerri curl does not look like a straight up relaxer is because rollers are put in the hair afterward. Which obviously we do not do, so she must be talking about the texturizing/relaxing aspect. A texturizer is just a relaxer left in for less time. I think I went into detail about relaxers not making the hair more curly on this page: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10895589.html?KW=texturizer#10895589

There is no one on the planet with tightly coiled hair who is going to get a texturizer and their hair is going to come out like this:

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/925064_1451970845081285_1534288898_n.jpg

It is going to come out like this. Because it's a texturizer.

So no, this is not eating holes in the hair. If holes were being eaten in the hair your curl pattern would loosen, that is just the way it works. And it would reeaally hard for Aketafitgirl to have nearly waist length hair right now. And she has had max hydration since december 2012.

If bakingsoda is the sole culprit, and I'm just lying to everyone about all this information pertaining to it being the hydration factor that works, Why is it that there are people doing the acv option and it works just as well? Why is it that there are people doing the plain cgmethod, and they are able to reach max hydration? Why is it, that I was able to get the same exact results in a bald spot that grew out of my scalp with max hydration from simply GHEing for 3 months straight? Why is it, that people doing this regimen are retaining length faster? Why does our hair feel stronger healthier, and look healthier and nothing like a texturizer? Is it really just the gel? So what about my product free hair, curling from root to tip?

Bakingsoda is a relaxer? So is bentonite clay a relaxer? Relaxers make hair curly now? Texturizers make our hair curly? Because I don't remember ever hearing a texturizer and curls clumping from root to tip. You saw the texturized wng video above. Loosening your curls simply does not create definition. That is why you can have people with 3c hair who believe their hair is 4c.

So to not even know that basic information, and then proceed to "warn" people about a healthy hair regimen with these "facts" is really irresponsible. All on the basis that what, people with 4c hair who seek to define their own natural coils (not make them looser, which is what happens when you heat train) is somehow a form of self hate. Why are people doing this? How can you judge down on us, while at the same time wearing a blond extension braid? What if I turned around and said, If After 10 years, if God wanted your hair to be long, this and that. And you shouldn't try to be something you are not by wearing extension braids. I'm gonna be blunt-- It just screams hypocrisy. She sounds like the Nazi to me, dictating what other people need to do with their hair, accusing them of self-hate when one could very well say the same about her. But I guess the rules don't apply to you? The reason I am emphasizing her hair as well, is because this reminds me of an article a while back that I read

http://actsoffaithblog.com/for-the-uninformed-this-is-what-natural-hair-looked-like-before-the-curly-infiltration-aka-new-black-took-over

This is the true Nazi-ism. Telling people they can't wear certain hair styles because of their hair type is ridiculous and the fact that you are peddling that on your channel, and on top of it backing it up with misinformation is unbelievable. When someone turns that around on you, and says you need to stop wearing blonde braids or doing bantu knot outs, maybe you will think twice about doing the same thing to others.

Edited by pinkecube - Aug 30 2014 at 2:42am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 2:29am
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Hi Everyone!!

I've read through this entire thread and can't wait to start my MHM journey! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion thus far ... your triumphs and setbacks are great learning examples and your detailed experiences and video demonstrations are really helping me to understand this method from a scientific & visual standpoint Clap

I've thrown out or sold a lot of my products that won't work for this method, however I am curious about 2 conditioners that I still have to use only for the Deep Conditioning step 2. I have not seen them mentioned yet

Please let me know if either of these would be NO-NO or MHM-Approved? I've highlighted the ingredients that I THINK would be problematic based on what I've read in this thread but I'm not sure.

Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream Deep Conditioner

Water,Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Vanilla Butter (Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Vanilla Planifolia), Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis(Jojoba) Oil,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Prunus Armeniaca(Apricot Kernel) Oil, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Dimethyl Stearamine, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Germall Plus,Fragrance

Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair Conditioner

Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Oryza Sativa (Rice Bran) Oil, Agave Americana (Agave) Nectar, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Persica (Peach) Kernel Oil, Germall Plus, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Powder, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Fragrance

*Are Hydrolyzed Milk & Silk Protein as problematic as Wheat Protein?

*Is Coconut Milk as problematic as Coconut Oil?

*Are Honey & Agave as problematic as Glycerin in Deep Conditioners?

*Does Green Tea act like a Strong Protein?

Thanks Wink

Hi Cocoglow Smile Glad you have read through this read and are pumped about starting, welcome!

Hydrolyzed proteins are a no, period, because of the fact they are hydrolyzed they have been denatured and altered and are a stronger form of protein if it just said plain protien.

Coconut milk could be as problematic, yes. It really depends on how sensitive you are to cocobut in general, but if you are low porosity it is a no.

No honey and agave are not issues. They do not pull moisture out of the hair like glycerin and propelyne glycol do in cold or dry conditions

Well it would be a plant protein/herb. Just like the aloe vera and flaxseeds, it depends on if you are sensitive, since plant proteins cannot entirely be avoided if you want to be free of plastics and synthetic ingredients that have an even worse effect on the hair. I believe it depends on your hairs sensitivity, it is something I would limit in my regimen. I would avoid tea rinses entirely like I would avoid putting plaint coconut oil or milk on my hair. I might not avoid putting it if it is among a product with other ingredients. That product would not be a no, seeing as the green tea s near the bottom of the list anyway.

Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair ConditionerThumbs Up okay

Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream Deep Conditioner Thumbs Down no no

solomonsydelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 7:56am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

[QUOTE=naturallyme247]

I feel bad that you even had to waste time from your schedule to lay it out like this, but glad you did. If you have the time, I'd recommend that you put this explanation on the maxhydrationmethod.com site. That way we can simply place links in the comments of Osa's video and direct folks there.

I hate to say it, but some folks want to criticize the method so as to stir up controversy, increase their hits on Youtube and thereby make more coin. This is why I have opted to not re-watch this particular video. She is allowed to have her opinion and I am allowed to not put money in her pocket or give her thoughts much credence.

Anyway, good luck with school, girl. Good luck to everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Crownstar Crownstar wrote:

Osa Osula You Tube Videos (Max Hydration on 4C Hair Yay or Nay & My Reaction to Max Hydration Comments

I just reviewed these videos and she seems to be caught up with the use of baking soda and "it removing the shingles of the hair” and called TMHM “a modern day Jeri curl”… It’s a shame that the entire premise of the method was missed... Comments such as “If God wanted you to have curly hair, than you would have curly hair” were uncalled for. The name of the method is MAX HYD RATION   “Common sense” would tell you baking soda is not a relaxer if it were, I wish I knew this when I was relaxed, I could have just got two boxes and touched up my hair every 6-8 weeks for 1 year and then used ACV to neutralize the “relaxer” duh!

How is keeping your hair clean and moisturized using non-drying, irratating products and sealed being compared to a Jeri Curl? If I remember the process for a Jeri Curl correctly, the first step was to relax your hair with a chemical and then use another chemical to curl your hair all of this was not done with baking soda!

In all fairness she does note that the method works and somewhat retract a bit in the 2nd video and provides her personal experience with baking soda whereas this wasn’t offered in the first video.
What is so sad is that she uses a blow dryer to make her hair more manageable but can’t understand why others would want to use a method to make theirs more manageable not involving heat…. The “Spanish type hair” comment is not even worth discussing. In other videos, she even acknowledges that her hair responds well to protein treatments and that she has normal porosity hair!

I believe it is everyone’s prerogative to either try the method or not try the method, it’s that simple, I for who, am exhausted with reading comments on boards and watching videos where TMHM is being dismissed by people who haven’t tried it!

At the end of the day, everyone will make their decision as to whether they want to use baking soda, ACV or monkey snot on their hair. Those that want to do the method will and those that won’t, won’t it’s as simple as that.

What is so sad is that when The Curly Girl Method was introduced; created BY and FOR people with hair definitely NOT like ours, no one bashed the method to this extent…. African American’s of ALL hair types jumped on the band wagon and didn’t bother to research all the harsh products being recommended. Also the Anthony Dickey Method was introduced (another method not addressing the needs of 4 type) hair and it was embraced.

Here is a method created by US, for US and this is what we have to deal with…oh my people, my people! This is just sad, so sad.

I’d also like to add:

Aharri: I read your comments on the first video, VALID points you made and well said.
PinkeCube & Ms Dee I appreciate all that you’d done and continue to do for us 4 type, protein sensitive, low porosity hair types! Keep doing what you are doing.

I've dropped the mike and left the building....lol

Cosigning your thoughts on this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 8:01am
Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

I know I don't post here often, because I'm busy with school and stuff, but I just wanted to welcome all the newbies Smile
As far as Osa, it's no use arguing with her. She has her opinions from her previous experiences, let her have them.

@solomon: Oh my... #dying #dying #dead xD ROFL you aint right.LOL

hehe. Agreed, we definitely have to let her have her own opinions.

Happy MHMing!
naturallyme247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturallyme247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by naturallyme247 naturallyme247 wrote:

So, this is another "perspective" on the maximum hydration method and I just wanted to know what you guys think of this woman research into this method. She claims that this method acts exactly like a jheri curls because we're removing the "shingles" in our hair and add conditioner. 

I'll let you know my thoughts but I would really appreciates others thoughts and especially yours too pinkecube if and when you have the time. 

Here are the steps to getting a chemical free jheri curl

1. Use gentle, chemical-free shampoo. Shampoos containing sulfates, alcohols, and plastics are tough on African-American hair, causing it to become brittle and break more easily. Using a chemical-free shampoo keeps the hair shaft strong, providing a good foundation for natural, soft curls. 

2. Use a leave-in conditioner. Moisture is key when it comes to defined curls. While your hair is still wet, cover it with a good natural leave-in conditioner that contains nourishing ingredients like shea butter and argan oil. These trap moisture in to keep your hair soft.

3. Section your hair into several parts. This will make it easier to twist your curls into shape. Each one will need to be shaped individually. Hold the sections apart using clips.

4.Apply curling custard or cream to the first section. Curling cream or curling custard are products made with natural ingredients that promote soft, shiny curls. Apply plenty of product to the first section, using your fingers and a wide-tooth comb to smooth it through. 

5.Lasts tips requires you twist and night and wake up with nice jheri curls.

Okay so here is my take. Since she never talked about looking at either a maximally hydrated hair and or chemical free done jheri curled hair underneath a microscope and comparing and contrasting the two I don't think she can make the claim that we've lost our "shingles" and or that we are getting the same results of that of a chemical free jheri curl. How would she know what's going with our hair if she hasn't studied it? This is her assumption but she's going on weak evidence. One, she claims that the maximum hydrated method is exactly like that of chemical free jherr curl method. WRONG. We're told NOT to use shampoos and second shampoos can ONLY strip your hair they don't open you're cuticles like acv rinse would or baking soda would. 

Then she talks about how this method is simply making our hair more porous....but why would we be told to do light protein treatments every now and then..if the point of this method is to make our hair more porous? 

She claims the baking soda is making the hair "more porous" because it's akaline and high in ph level and that's why we're recieving the results that we are BUT she also notes that acv rinse in used in this method and that it is NOT AKALINE AND HIGH IN PH LEVEL BUT CAN BE USED AND YOU'LL SEE THE SAME RESULTS. If you put two and two together then you should note that..if you're claiming that it's the high akaline and high ph level that giving us our results in this method but yet the same method also says that you can use acv rince which is  very low in alkine and low in ph levels and still get the same result than you must note that that high ph level and alkaline is not the cause of our results. Plus for a permanent change in hair you would need a ph level of 9...baking soda is 8 and with conditionerand honey at normal ph level of hair 4-7. 

I don't think this method is making out hair more porpus. I simple think that she does not understand hair. All we are doing is LIFTING our cuticles (barries around our hair) and putting moisture in our hair. Not ruining our hair by opening our hair strands. 

Then she claims we only get results (or curly hair) when we put product in but  I guess she didn't read the part where we're suppose ot be seeing results WITHOUT PRODUCT! 

I could go on but the fact that she claims that those two methods are the same without acknowledge the major difference...clay/deep conditioning/the amount of time...and how does she even know that the chemical free jheri curlw works..or the results of it compared to our results. You can't get good results without the clay with max hydration method which the chemical free jherri curls method doesn't have...so yeah. 

Thoughts?

I had to let the dust settle for awhile, because I've been busy getting back to school and everything. But here are my thoughts on Osa Osula 's Max Hydration on 4c hair Yay or Nay.

Based on her comments under the video alone, I haven't bothered watching the video. Some one did tell me in a email about what she said, though. Basically a whole video spent spreading misinformation to scare people away from doing MHM. Or that MHM is a jerri curl?

I did not like her tone in the comments section as well. Based on an email someone sent telling me what she said in the video, her main issue is with the bakingsoda, and I also believe an underlying distain or anger about curl definition. Fact of the matter, her experience is with mixing shampoo and (who knows how much) bakingsoda together and inherently stripping her hair. That is you stripping your hair, and has nothing to do with any ability of the ph to eat holes in the hair cuticle. When I use a sulfate shampoo, I do not go around thinking my hair has been relaxed. Ph or no ph. That does not prevent the hair from getting stripped if you stripped your hair. I don't understand why you stripping your hair would automatically lead you to blame the ph. Yes the ph is what allows the oils and product to lift off your hair, that is why we use it as a cleansing agent. That is the same reason acv is used, and it is ph balanced. But it drying your hair out has nothing to do with it relaxing or jerri curling your hair in anyway. If that were the case, all sulfate shampoos would be relaxers as well. Castille soap, or black soap or any cowash or shampoo containing a soaponified oil-- would be a relaxer. Bentonite clay, I guess it is a relaxer too.

What i really do not appreciate is the need to be holier than thou about what people choose to do with their hair. Curl definition is a problem- but heat training, which basically breaks the bonds of the hair and causes cuticle damage, leaving the hair straighter-- that is safe, that is okay. Long blonde extension braids are totally accepting of her natural texture and color, since it is a protective style. Curl definition means you are trying to be something you are not, even though this is supposed to be a healthy hair regimen that increases moisture levels and curl definition is a by product.  This regimen that has so many people getting rid of the issues that cause them to have issues with their hairs health, due to chronic dehydration. Growing back edges, hair retaining length faster. It just shows how she jumped on the wagon with assumptions and accusations ready to fire, but has done no actual research about what the regimen is and why it is valuable.

The argument that we need to accept our hair the way it is, is really getting old. That is just relative to this underlying contempt that some naturals seem to hold against curl definition. They see it as a personal insult. I could easily ask her, where the videos of her embracing her wash n go are, her hair in its truly shrunken state, with little product. "Water and oil" right? Since conditioner and gel is a bad thing now. Most wash n go's I have seen regardless of texture have been done with conditioner and gel, as per cgmethod. And yes, afro hair is curly. Even when my hair was in it's driest state, I always knew that. You can't have 80-90% shrinkage and claim to not have curls. It reminds me about how someone came on my channel awhile back to educate and inform me about how i didn't know my own curl pattern, then proceeded to show me this :
http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Curly-Hair-Type-Chart.png

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. And some photo of someone with a stretched out afro. Sleepy

http://blacknaps.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Type-4-hair.png
4c hair is blow dried now? This is the exact reason why people do not know their curl pattern, or believe they do not have curls.

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/10518038_742676629109433_1454062806_n.jpg

This is a jerri curl? My texture sure does looks like 3c hair. Wacko It has not loosened at all! The diameter and shape of my product free shed hair has not changed. If you have not realized that is some of my shed hair next to an embroidery bead.

Here is the process of a jerri curl. relaxer is applied, washed out, and put in rollers. the bonds of the hair have to be broken, and then it is set into a curly shape with rollers. Otherwise, what would you have? A simple relaxer, or texturizer. We do not use rollers in this regimen. so Lets take out the rollers, and say-- we are texturizing our hair then. Lets take a look at a texturizer:

Texturizers and relaxers do not make the hair more curly or defined. This is basic information. The reason a jerri curl does not look like a straight up relaxer is because rollers are put in the hair afterward. Which obviously we do not do, so she must be talking about the texturizing/relaxing aspect. A texturizer is just a relaxer left in for less time. I think I went into detail about relaxers not making the hair more curly on this page: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10895589.html?KW=texturizer#10895589

There is no one on the planet with tightly coiled hair who is going to get a texturizer and their hair is going to come out like this:

http://photos-f.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/925064_1451970845081285_1534288898_n.jpg

It is going to come out like this. Because it's a texturizer.

So no, this is not eating holes in the hair. If holes were being eaten in the hair your curl pattern would loosen, that is just the way it works. And it would reeaally hard for Aketafitgirl to have nearly waist length hair right now. And she has had max hydration since december 2012.

If bakingsoda is the sole culprit, and I'm just lying to everyone about all this information pertaining to it being the hydration factor that works, Why is it that there are people doing the acv option and it works just as well? Why is it that there are people doing the plain cgmethod, and they are able to reach max hydration? Why is it, that I was able to get the same exact results in a bald spot that grew out of my scalp with max hydration from simply GHEing for 3 months straight? Why is it, that people doing this regimen are retaining length faster? Why does our hair feel stronger healthier, and look healthier and nothing like a texturizer? Is it really just the gel? So what about my product free hair, curling from root to tip?

Bakingsoda is a relaxer? So is bentonite clay a relaxer? Relaxers make hair curly now? Texturizers make our hair curly? Because I don't remember ever hearing a texturizer and curls clumping from root to tip. You saw the texturized wng video above. Loosening your curls simply does not create definition. That is why you can have people with 3c hair who believe their hair is 4c.

So to not even know that basic information, and then proceed to "warn" people about a healthy hair regimen with these "facts" is really irresponsible. All on the basis that what, people with 4c hair who seek to define their own natural coils (not make them looser, which is what happens when you heat train) is somehow a form of self hate. Why are people doing this? How can you judge down on us, while at the same time wearing a blond extension braid? What if I turned around and said, If After 10 years, if God wanted your hair to be long, this and that. And you shouldn't try to be something you are not by wearing extension braids. I'm gonna be blunt-- It just screams hypocrisy. She sounds like the Nazi to me, dictating what other people need to do with their hair, accusing them of self-hate when one could very well say the same about her. But I guess the rules don't apply to you? The reason I am emphasizing her hair as well, is because this reminds me of an article a while back that I read

http://actsoffaithblog.com/for-the-uninformed-this-is-what-natural-hair-looked-like-before-the-curly-infiltration-aka-new-black-took-over

This is the true Nazi-ism. Telling people they can't wear certain hair styles because of their hair type is ridiculous and the fact that you are peddling that on your channel, and on top of it backing it up with misinformation is unbelievable. When someone turns that around on you, and says you need to stop wearing blonde braids or doing bantu knot outs, maybe you will think twice about doing the same thing to others.

You're right pinkecube. I don't understand how people can call this method self-hate but wouldn't dare call twist-outs and braid-outs the same things when those processes require that you manipulate and force your hair into a curl pattern that isn't natural yours. It's hypocrisy but lets all digress. Thank you so much and all other who replied to my post. Sorry for taking this thread away from the positivity that we were all sharing. But lets get back to that. People will hate but it's their hair that will suffer and that's all there is to it. I know that in a year or two when people are seeing more faboulous results we'll have less of this hate and probably more people actually doing the method instead blowing steam out of their ears and making stuff up. But even if not this method has been a blessing to me and many other and thankful for just that. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solomonsydelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 8:20am
May I ask if anyone else is experiencing nail damage while doing MHM? My nails keep chipping on the sides. And, none of my nail polishes have been able to hold up since I started the method. I clearly have my fingers in water too much.

I'm wondering if I should go back to taking vitamins. Maybe that might help my body overall, and give my nails some more strength.

Looking for any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 10:10am
Thanks pinke for your response. Everyone wants to say this and that about baking soda, but has never actually tried it or used it correctly. 5 months on baking soda here and nothing bad has happened so I'll keep doing what I am doing.

P.S I put baking soda/condish on my hair this morning and I felt like such a rebel...LOL
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 10:25am
Originally posted by solomonsydelle solomonsydelle wrote:

May I ask if anyone else is experiencing nail damage while doing MHM? My nails keep chipping on the sides. And, none of my nail polishes have been able to hold up since I started the method. I clearly have my fingers in water too much.

I'm wondering if I should go back to taking vitamins. Maybe that might help my body overall, and give my nails some more strength.

Looking for any thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

I remember ysadoralacquers over on page 154 had this experience...but I don't know of any solutions so far...hopefully someone else can chime in with some suggestions.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 252253254255256 288>
  Share Topic