Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:24pm
Osa Osula You Tube Videos (Max Hydration on 4C Hair Yay or Nay & My Reaction to Max Hydration Comments

I just reviewed these videos and she seems to be caught up with the use of baking soda and "it removing the shingles of the hair” and called TMHM “a modern day Jeri curl”… It’s a shame that the entire premise of the method was missed... Comments such as “If God wanted you to have curly hair, than you would have curly hair” were uncalled for. The name of the method is MAX HYD RATION   “Common sense” would tell you baking soda is not a relaxer if it were, I wish I knew this when I was relaxed, I could have just got two boxes and touched up my hair every 6-8 weeks for 1 year and then used ACV to neutralize the “relaxer” duh!

How is keeping your hair clean and moisturized using non-drying, irratating products and sealed being compared to a Jeri Curl? If I remember the process for a Jeri Curl correctly, the first step was to relax your hair with a chemical and then use another chemical to curl your hair all of this was not done with baking soda!

In all fairness she does note that the method works and somewhat retract a bit in the 2nd video and provides her personal experience with baking soda whereas this wasn’t offered in the first video.
What is so sad is that she uses a blow dryer to make her hair more manageable but can’t understand why others would want to use a method to make theirs more manageable not involving heat…. The “Spanish type hair” comment is not even worth discussing. In other videos, she even acknowledges that her hair responds well to protein treatments and that she has normal porosity hair!

I believe it is everyone’s prerogative to either try the method or not try the method, it’s that simple, I for who, am exhausted with reading comments on boards and watching videos where TMHM is being dismissed by people who haven’t tried it!

At the end of the day, everyone will make their decision as to whether they want to use baking soda, ACV or monkey snot on their hair. Those that want to do the method will and those that won’t, won’t it’s as simple as that.

What is so sad is that when The Curly Girl Method was introduced; created BY and FOR people with hair definitely NOT like ours, no one bashed the method to this extent…. African American’s of ALL hair types jumped on the band wagon and didn’t bother to research all the harsh products being recommended. Also the Anthony Dickey Method was introduced (another method not addressing the needs of 4 type) hair and it was embraced.

Here is a method created by US, for US and this is what we have to deal with…oh my people, my people! This is just sad, so sad.

I’d also like to add:

Aharri: I read your comments on the first video, VALID points you made and well said.
PinkeCube & Ms Dee I appreciate all that you’d done and continue to do for us 4 type, protein sensitive, low porosity hair types! Keep doing what you are doing.

I've dropped the mike and left the building....lol
Sponsored Links

aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:26pm
Ya I'm done arguing with her. She wonders why her hair hasn't gotten anywhere in 10 years.

Lol we asked her to prove her claims, she didnt post any articles backing up her opinions. Then proceeded to call us hair nazi's

Edited by aharri23 - Aug 29 2014 at 10:36pm
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by duckkeisha duckkeisha wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hope you guys are enjoying ur journey to max hydration.   For those of you who use flaxseed gel as their botanical gel I just wanted to update you on an aha moment I had with my most recent wash n go.

I usually use Rachelcpr's recipe but I tweaked it a bit as per suggestions I received on earlier posts.

6 cups of water
1/2 cup flaxseeds
2 tbsp marshmallow root (helps w/ hold--gives a 8-10 hold)
1 tsp Irish moss powder (for thickening)
1-2 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 heaping tbsp of kccc
4 drops lemon essential oil
1 tbsp agave nectar

I know it sounds like a lot of water but after it comes to a boil I let it simmer for approx 20-30 mins so I can get a much thicker consistency. Once done I strain it immediately and add the rest of the ingredients, mixing with a whisk to make sure everything is incorporated.

I've done the complete regimen 6 times (q 3 days) & this has been my best wash n go yet. By adding the kccc and aloe vera gel my curls were weighed down more. Plus I eliminated having to add kccc to each section of hair after applying flaxseed gel.

When my hair dried it was super curly and defined, no poofy roots and no crunch.

Anyways sorry for the long post

P.s. since starting the mhm I've contracted a serious case of H-I-H syndrome *hand-in-hair*. My hair is at its most manageable state yet. Thanks pinkecube and msdeekay for all ur hard work! !!♥♥♥
Thanks for the recipe; I will definitely try it....I never thought of adding the KCCC in the mix! Quick question, did it leave your hair dry? The recipe I was working on left my hair dry....lol
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Originally posted by LaTonyaR LaTonyaR wrote:

Hello MHM Family!
I started my journey on August 7th.  I am loving my results thus far.  So, less shedding that I can notice.  I need help though.  I loved, loved, loved wearing my hair in a 2 strand twist out.  I can not seem to master it now.  Can someone please give me some tips? I liked my twist out best when I did it on dry hair (but, I know thats a no...no... now..Lol) I have been wearing the wng but, I really want a nice twistout.  HELP....
LaTonya

I actually usually keep my daughter's hair in twists. This week I let her wear it stretched for the first day of school, but this coming weekend it's back to twists.  Her puff is almost bigger than her head, lol.
   I follow the regimen, except after applying the gel, I twist her hair. I would recommend, since you prefer dry twist outs, to allow the hair to dry after the regimen and then dampen it before twisting. Guar gum in water produces great slip. But I have found that rewetting my hair after applying my gel, awakens the slip it had before it dried. So you may able to spray with plain water, lightly detangle and twist. HTH

Thank you nicks_hotmama for giving some tips to LaTonyaR. Protective princess also did a tutorial on how she does a twistout and a rod set with the regimen you can see her video below if you havent already.

and she also did a progress update video.

I've also been experimenting with twist out and think all of the advise above is great. I'd also like to add that I found
BlakIzBeautyful you tube video titled " 8 reasons why your twist out look is a hot ass mess" (Yes, that's the title of the video) to be helpful from a technique standpoint. I follow the full TMHM (including gel) and then incorporated some of her suggestion with great results!
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Hi Everyone!!

I've read through this entire thread and can't wait to start my MHM journey! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion thus far ... your triumphs and setbacks are great learning examples and your detailed experiences and video demonstrations are really helping me to understand this method from a scientific & visual standpoint Clap

I've thrown out or sold a lot of my products that won't work for this method, however I am curious about 2 conditioners that I still have to use only for the Deep Conditioning step 2. I have not seen them mentioned yet

Please let me know if either of these would be NO-NO or MHM-Approved? I've highlighted the ingredients that I THINK would be problematic based on what I've read in this thread but I'm not sure.
<b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; color:red">
</span>
<b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; color:red">Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk
Cream Moisture Dream Deep Conditioner</span>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";color:#002060">Water</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">,Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl
Alcohol,
</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Stearalkonium Chloride</span><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";mso-bidi-font-family: "Courier New";color:#002060">, Vanilla Butter</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"> (Coconut Oil,Palm Oil, Vanilla Planifolia<b style="color: rgb0, 32, 96;">), </span><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Honey</span><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";mso-bidi-font-family: "Courier New";color:#002060">,</span><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";color:#002060"> Simmondsia Chinensis(Jojoba) Oil,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Prunus
Armeniaca(Apricot Kernel) Oil, </span>[COLOR="#009900"]<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"]Hydroxypropyltrimonium</span]<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"] </span]<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"]Honey</span][/COLOR]<span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";color:#002060">, Dimethyl Stearamine, </span>[COLOR="#009900"]<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"]Hydrolyzed Milk Protein,
Hydrolyzed Silk Protein</span]
<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"], </span]<span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;"]Panthenol</span][/COLOR]<span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New"; color:#002060">, Lactic Acid,</span><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";color:#002060"> Germall Plus,Fragrance<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; color:red"> </span><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; color:red">Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair Conditioner</span>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt"><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New";color:#002060">Water</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut)
Milk
</span><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Stearalkonium
Chloride
</span><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif";mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New"; color:#002060">, Cetearyl Alcohol</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 32, 96;">, Oryza Sativa (Rice Bran) Oil, Agave Americana (</span><b style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Agave</span><span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">)<b style="color: rgb0, 32, 96;"> Nectar, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Persica [COLOR="#000066"](Peach) Kernel Oil, Germall Plus, Rubus
Idaeus (<b style="color: rgb0, 32, 96;"]Raspberry) Powder, Camellia
Sinensis[/COLOR](Green Tea) Extract,
Fragrance
</span>

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt">*Are Hydrolyzed Milk & Silk Protein as problematic as Wheat Protein?

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt">*Is Coconut Milk as problematic as Coconut Oil?

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt">*Are Honey & Agave as problematic as Glycerin in Deep Conditioners?

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt">*Does Green Tea act like a Strong Protein?

<p ="msonormal"="" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt">Thanks Wink

Hello, not sure if anyone responded to your questions...I'm not an ingriedents expert and therefore really have no response but you asked some great questions and hopefully when PinkeCube or Ms DeeKay get a chance will review and respond as I'm interested in the answers as well!
Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Ya I'm done arguing with her. She wonders why her hair hasn't gotten anywhere in 10 years.

Lol we asked her to prove her claims, she didnt post any articles backing up her opinions. Then proceeded to call us hair nazi's

LOL!
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 10:55pm
I know I don't post here often, because I'm busy with school and stuff, but I just wanted to welcome all the newbies Smile
As far as Osa, it's no use arguing with her. She has her opinions from her previous experiences, let her have them.

@solomon: Oh my... #dying #dying #dead xD ROFL you aint right.LOL

Edited by coiffedcoils - Aug 29 2014 at 10:58pm
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 11:06pm
The baking soda and sh*t comparison has me WEAK.  "If I take sh*t in a pie and I cover it with honey and juices and berries mix it well. It doesn't negate the fact that sh*t is in the pie"

Lol what? She is hilarious I must say. Comparing baking soda to sh*t..
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by CocoGlow CocoGlow wrote:

Hi Everyone!!

I've read through this entire thread and can't wait to start my MHM journey! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion thus far ... your triumphs and setbacks are great learning examples and your detailed experiences and video demonstrations are really helping me to understand this method from a scientific & visual standpoint Clap

*Is Silk Protein as problematic as Wheat Protein?

*Is Coconut Milk as problematic as Coconut Oil?

*Are Honey & Agave as problematic as Glycerin in Deep Conditioners?

*Does Green Tea act like a Strong Protein?

Thanks Wink

Hi, I'm not Pinkecube, so I can't exactly answer all the questions about the ingredients in the products, but the last few questions I can respond to from personal experience.

I would not put it on the same level as Wheat, especially since the molecular structure is different. Based on the structure the Silk proteins typically don't absorb into the hair, rather it forms a barrier around the strands instead. Wheat protein has a small enough structure where it fits through the holes in the hair or directly into the holes of the hair. My hair doesn't respond well to wheat protein, but does ok with silk, so this is a reason I also know they are different.

Honey and agave can cause problems like glycerin in stylers if too much is used. IMO in deep conditioners glycerin or honey/agave can be used since it's going to be rinsed off, you would just have to make sure not to use those in your leave ins.

Coconut Milk gives me the same reaction as Coconut oil if used raw. I get no reaction from either if it's inside the product.

I've never tried Green tea so I can't answer that. I've read that it does strengthen the hair, but that's all I've read.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 12:36am
Originally posted by DenzKoils DenzKoils wrote:

I used the watery clay again tonight and left it on for 5 minutes. For now this is working for me. My hair was soft when rinsed and my curls started to form when I put on the leave in.

I probably don't need it as watery as it is but I think it needs to be thinner than I was making it.

When I wash tomorrow I will try defining my curls and try leaving it on for 30 minutes.

I'm wearing a twist out tomorrow. I'm very optimistic that it will turn out great.
Awesome, Denzkoils, great to hear you adjusted the consistency with the clay and got it working! Glad to hear you are getting progress!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 289>
  Share Topic