Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 249250251252253 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by LaTonyaR LaTonyaR wrote:

Hello MHM Family!
I started my journey on August 7th.  I am loving my results thus far.  So, less shedding that I can notice.  I need help though.  I loved, loved, loved wearing my hair in a 2 strand twist out.  I can not seem to master it now.  Can someone please give me some tips? I liked my twist out best when I did it on dry hair (but, I know thats a no...no... now..Lol) I have been wearing the wng but, I really want a nice twistout.  HELP....
LaTonya

I actually usually keep my daughter's hair in twists. This week I let her wear it stretched for the first day of school, but this coming weekend it's back to twists.  Her puff is almost bigger than her head, lol.
   I follow the regimen, except after applying the gel, I twist her hair. I would recommend, since you prefer dry twist outs, to allow the hair to dry after the regimen and then dampen it before twisting. Guar gum in water produces great slip. But I have found that rewetting my hair after applying my gel, awakens the slip it had before it dried. So you may able to spray with plain water, lightly detangle and twist. HTH
Sponsored Links

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:32am
Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Hello MHM Family!
I started my journey on August 7th.  I am loving my results thus far.  So, less shedding that I can notice.  I need help though.  I loved, loved, loved wearing my hair in a 2 strand twist out.  I can not seem to master it now.  Can someone please give me some tips? I liked my twist out best when I did it on dry hair (but, I know thats a no...no... now..Lol) I have been wearing the wng but, I really want a nice twistout.  HELP....
LaTonya

I actually usually keep my daughter's hair in twists. This week I let her wear it stretched for the first day of school, but this coming weekend it's back to twists.  Her puff is almost bigger than her head, lol.
   I follow the regimen, except after applying the gel, I twist her hair. I would recommend, since you prefer dry twist outs, to allow the hair to dry after the regimen and then dampen it before twisting. Guar gum in water produces great slip. But I have found that rewetting my hair after applying my gel, awakens the slip it had before it dried. So you may able to spray with plain water, lightly detangle and twist. HTH
Thank you nicks_hotmama for giving some tips to LaTonyaR. Protective princess also did a tutorial on how she does a twistout and a rod set with the regimen you can see her video below if you havent already.

and she also did a progress update video.

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:35am
Originally posted by carameltresses carameltresses wrote:

Last thing for now...Wink Can I use Aloe Vera Gel?  I have a brand new bottle that I've never opened.  Thanks again!

Hi carameltresses, welcome to MHM, yes you can use Aloe Vera Gel. It's mentioned as proceed with caution as most low pos are also sensitive to Aloe Vera, but since it forms a cast when in gel form it should not be such an issue. Aloe Vera is an ingredient in most of the recommended gels. Its really hard to avoid it LOL
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:38am
Originally posted by DenzKoils DenzKoils wrote:

I took a two week break. I'm not all the way back. Last night I did all the steps but I'm using a watery clay rinse. I'm massaging it in and rinsing it out. I followed with conditioner and then did another mud rinse and let it sit for 3 minutes. It was the first time my hair ever felt soft after the clay.

I put the kknt on full strength and then fingercombed warm water through my strands. Finally seeing some curls.

For now going to stick with the watery clay and let it sit for 5 minutes and see how that works.

I just think I need to boost the moisture first before I try to get definition.

We will see how this works.

Happy to hear you are starting to see progress DenKoils ClapClapClap Hope this is the start of more and more progress Wink
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:40am
ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Originally posted by CurlyMeema CurlyMeema wrote:

Originally posted by DenzKoils DenzKoils wrote:

I took a two week break. I'm not all the way back. Last night I did all the steps but I'm using a watery clay rinse. I'm massaging it in and rinsing it out. I followed with conditioner and then did another mud rinse and let it sit for 3 minutes. It was the first time my hair ever felt soft after the clay.

I put the kknt on full strength and then fingercombed warm water through my strands. Finally seeing some curls.

For now going to stick with the watery clay and let it sit for 5 minutes and see how that works.

I just think I need to boost the moisture first before I try to get definition.

We will see how this works.

Hi Denzkoils, I totally get what you're saying about needing moisture and I believe that's is what the MHM is all about.  I did a lot of experimenting too - I even moved the clay step in front of the conditioning step but in the end, I went back to the method as defined by Ms Pinkecube and Msdkay.  As someone before me said, perseverance does pay off and you'll see the moisture and definition.  Look at your ingredients again and make sure you are mixing them as described.  I had a really bad dryness issue this week and found that I'd forgotten to put the honey in the clay mixture.  This week I also learned that you can't watch the videos too often so go back and watch how the process was done by msdeekay and Pinkecube.

For everyone that gave me advice this week...THANK YOU!  MY HAIR IS THE BOMB TODAY!  I added the honey to my clay mixture last night and I steamed both with the conditioner and again with the clay.  I added a little drop of argon oil to the gel but I applied both the gel and the conditioner on full strength.  So far only the top is dry but it looks amazing, I have shine, definition and no crunch!  Thursday night, I start the bald spot regimen.

ClapClapClap So happy to hear you had a great hair day!!! thanks to everyone who helped curly meema with advice Clap
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:46am
Originally posted by cdncoily cdncoily wrote:

Pinke & MsDeeKay:

Sorry I took a while to reply this time. Have had a lot going on lately so I haven't been able to come on here. Still made sure to wash at least every 2-3 days though, GHE/DCed a lot, and it seems I am indeed bouncing back from having to shampoo out that build-up + oil from the clay step before. (I'm 99% sure that's what it was now-- build-up that was invisible until the oil I was using glued the clay to it. Also my clay mix was too thin.) I had written a response for you a day or two after you each wrote me but then I wanted to make sure I could answer your questions properly. Now I am pretty sure things are alright. I'll be totally sure when my hair dries after doing the full regimen just now, but I think I'm good to go...

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

YAY where were you able to locate the Tresemme conditioner it? So I can add it to the directory list.

BTW guys the directory list for where to find MHM recommended products internationally will be up on my blog next week.

Thanks for filling up the survey 
My pleasure filling out the survey.

The in-person store I got the Tresemmé at was a major (mostly a grocery but kind of like Wal-mart) store chain in Canada: "Real Canadian Superstore," also known as "Extra Foods" or "Loblaws" or other names depending where you live. I also found two more online retailers that have the cheapest prices I've seen for Kinky Curly products.  I was actually meaning to e-mail them to you again but I'll put links to all three here: :)

Superstore
(most people will already know where they are but here's a locator anyway):
http://www.superstore.ca/LCLOnline/store_locator_landing_page.jsp

Hair Mall <— cheapest prices I've seen for KC products for Canada's online stores!
(also has Curls but not the approved "Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea" specifically)
(free shipping on orders over $75.99)
http://www.hairmall.ca/

Love Thy Hair n Skin <— has KC, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl, possibly others
(free shipping on orders over $100)
http://www.lovethyhns.ca/

Quote Happy to hear you were able to get the clay out of your roots. bohomojo on page 108 also experienced clay getting stuck on her roots. She was using coconut oil in her mixture and the coconut oil and clay was very hard to rinse off. I have a feeling too much oil and clay may have been what caused the issue. cdncoily what were the exact measurements you used and what type of oil did you use?
It was a splash of oil (I didn't measure but maybe around a tablespoon which is probably too much) in a 12 oz/360ml dish detergent bottle with roughly 2 cups of runny clay mixture in it. I definitely needed to make it thicker but it still stuck to my hair probably because of the oil!

I was trying to finish off an old bottle of "Organics Olive & Clove Oil Therapy" (only some ingredients are organic, lol) that I checked the ingredients on and everything except for the oils themselves seemed to be water soluble. Every time I look up the product ingredient list online (I threw the bottle out in disgust days ago & don't have it anymore sorry), it lists propylparaben but that *wasn't* in the list of ingredients on my bottle or I wouldn't have used it. I remember it did have t-butyl-hydroquinone though and nasty as it sounds, that's supposed to be water-soluble as well.

**Now the only standalone oils I have are pure castor (for my skin and not my hair except that one time as a prepoo) and sweet almond oil (which is lighter than olive and my hair has seemed to like it in the past. I also think I saw someone on here saying they used almond oil with their clay regularly. I used sesame oil in a pinch a while back when I still had the gray kaolin— worked fine but didn't smell great in my hair and especially not with clay lol). Since they're lighter oils of about the same consistency, I figured either would work fine. So I tried roughly the right measurements with sweet almond and you know what? Even though I thought everything was rinsed out, I had a similar problem with some gunk in my roots the next day. Nothing huge though. This time it was MUCH easier to wash out. Actually it was kind of funny when I did because I had almost PERFECT definition from clay powder stayling on my hair overnight. That didn't last long though. Luckily the *second* rinse I was able to actually rinse the clay out without needing to grab any shampoo.

I was getting worried about green clay but I decided to be brave and try the mix thicker today, with no oil or anything else in it. You know what? It finally worked like my gray kaolin clay used to work-- not as gritty going on and it rinsed totally clean off every surface in my shower, unlike before. Maybe because green clay is more absorbent than clay, I think I'm better off using it without any oil or honey. Hopefully I've got it all out now. I won't be sure until my roots dry I guess. -_-;

In other news I trimmed my ends yesterday and did the full regimen today and my curls are to at least the level of hydration they were at before my setback, thank goodness. I hope I can still keep definition in my crown (problem area) when it dries. I've been doing applications of moisturizing steps starting at my crown first (and rinsing last) lately and that's helped at least get a curl started there. I'm taking the BS step a *lot* more seriously now, even rolling each section into bantu knots while the BS sits in it. It itched until I got it rinsed completely out but my hair seemed happy at least!

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Thank you DenzKoils for helping out cdncoily with her issues with the clay. cdncoily Sorry about your issues with the clay getting stuck in your hair. It is possible the product build up was the culprit if you didn't have any issues this time around. Another user who had issues washing out the clay ended up finding that the residue from coconut oil (which tends to build up) was stuck on her scalp because she decided to mix that in with the clay in replacement of olive oil. The next time, I don't think you may need to go as far as shampooing. It should be enough to rinse the clay out in small sections starting from the back of your head under running shower water. Kind of like everything we do is in sections from root to tip to make sure our strands are thoroughly coated with product, it helps to rinse out things the same way to assure you are getting all over your head. That is the tricky thing about shrinkage. Sorry about the slight setback from the shampoo. You can try watering down your conditioner less while you DC for the next few washes, DC overnight or steam if you haven't been. It will bounce back.
I think I did have to use shampoo though, because I was literally scraping at the sides of my roots with a fingernail and the whitish coating was still there but just a little would show up on my nail. It was waterproof, sticky, and waxy to the touch. I did several careful rinses and nothing was coming out at all (see above).

Quote If you think your hair felt stripped after the shampoo, and you feel it still hasn't entirely bounced back, you can also do a super quick ACV rinse and just apply it all over your head and rinse out after a couple of minutes. ACV really helps to correct your hair when it gets stripped. What did you do after shampooing, did you make sure to DC afterward? That would help to replace some of the moisture as well.
Thanks for the tip! I did a couple of days of extra-long GHE/DC-ing so I think that helped me bounce back a bit. Hopefully I can keep making progress from here. :')

Glad to hear everything turned out fine and you didnt suffer a major setback! Thanks so much for the stores will be adding them to the directory.
BTW to all the international MHMers I have created a International dicrectory on my blog if you find any of the MHM products in your local you can PM, shoot me an email msdeekay2012 at gmail dot com or just leave a comment here for me and Ill add it to the directory. This is what I have so far
http://www.msdeekay.com/max-hydration-international-product-directory/
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:13am
Would love to give a warm welcome all the new MHMers mgood2go, sdnaught, joja1107,gigglemey, crimsoncoil, empowered, creole beauty, cprealtor, carameltresses, LaTonyaR wishing you all a wonderful journey to Max Hydration, thank you to everyone who has made them feel at home and has been offering support and answering questions including sollomonsydelle, Denzkoils, crownstar, aharri, nothidden, lovemycoils03, naturally50, curlymeema, afrolistic, naturaltash1, tallbeautie, mrsellis, afroangel, myfaithrising, cdncoily, duckkeisha, nickshotmama06 
Hug Appreciate all of you Big smile

LaTonyaR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaTonyaR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 10:13am
nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Hello MHM Family!
I started my journey on August 7th. I am loving my results thus far. So, less shedding that I can notice. I need help though. I loved, loved, loved wearing my hair in a 2 strand twist out. I can not seem to master it now. Can someone please give me some tips? I liked my twist out best when I did it on dry hair (but, I know thats a no...no... now..Lol) I have been wearing the wng but, I really want a nice twistout. HELP....
LaTonya

I actually usually keep my daughter's hair in twists. This week I let her wear it stretched for the first day of school, but this coming weekend it's back to twists. Her puff is almost bigger than her head, lol.
Thank you nicks_hotmama for giving some tips to LaTonyaR. Protective princess also did a tutorial on how she does a twistout and a rod set with the regimen you can see her video below if you havent already.

Thanks @ nicks_hotmama06 for the tips and to the person who posted the video of protective Princess.  I will try it this weekend.  I just wasn't sure whether or not I should do all the steps.  I always loved my hair the 2 day after a twist out/wash.  I hope it appears/is more mositurized after the wng dries and I twistout.  I did add olive oil to twistouts before and water that was all.  I would also use a liitle olive oil for the take down.Thanks again...
LaTonyaR
gigglemey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote gigglemey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 11:38am
Hiii Everyone ^^

I completed the 7 day challenge and I'm seeing places starting to curl!!! *excited* I learned how to apply the steps to my liking and feel more like their is a rhythm to doing my hair now so I am happy.  

From here I wanna go straight into the Bald Spot Regimen from sept-march. I do not have a bald spot, my hair just never prospered during fall/winter Cry So since its beanie weather anyway that works out perfectly. Hopefully this is just what my hair needs, I know it is extremely dry so this should boost my moisture levels. I guess I am doing a 6 mo challenge for myself. Can't wait for the unveiling in Spring Big smile
CocoGlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CocoGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:35pm
Hi Everyone!!

I've read through this entire thread and can't wait to start my MHM journey! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion thus far ... your triumphs and setbacks are great learning examples and your detailed experiences and video demonstrations are really helping me to understand this method from a scientific & visual standpoint Clap

I've thrown out or sold a lot of my products that won't work for this method, however I am curious about 2 conditioners that I still have to use only for the Deep Conditioning step 2. I have not seen them mentioned yet

Please let me know if either of these would be NO-NO or MHM-Approved? I've highlighted the ingredients that I THINK would be problematic based on what I've read in this thread but I'm not sure.

Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream Deep Conditioner

Water,Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Vanilla Butter (Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Vanilla Planifolia), Honey, Simmondsia Chinensis(Jojoba) Oil,Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Prunus Armeniaca(Apricot Kernel) Oil, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Dimethyl Stearamine, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Germall Plus,Fragrance

Silk Dreams Razzberry Coconut Affair Conditioner

Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Milk, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Oryza Sativa (Rice Bran) Oil, Agave Americana (Agave) Nectar, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Persica (Peach) Kernel Oil, Germall Plus, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Powder, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Extract, Fragrance

*Are Hydrolyzed Milk & Silk Protein as problematic as Wheat Protein?

*Is Coconut Milk as problematic as Coconut Oil?

*Are Honey & Agave as problematic as Glycerin in Deep Conditioners?

*Does Green Tea act like a Strong Protein?

Thanks Wink

Edited by CocoGlow - Aug 28 2014 at 5:37pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 249250251252253 289>