Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 287>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DenzKoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DenzKoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by pdthompson pdthompson wrote:

I am interested in knowing why the DC is done before using the clay as well.  I hope somebody addresses empreza's question.  Thanks<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

This is just my take on it. A lot of what is put into conditioners, oils, butters, emulsifiers, humectants absorb into the hair strands and cause the hair to bush out which can cause the hair to look undefined. Somehow the clay counteracts that effect when it draws.
Sponsored Links

pdthompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote pdthompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:37pm
Thanks Protective Princess for the video.  [1]I am trying the alligator clips for stretching and wringing out the extra water.  Thanks pinkecube for your previous suggestion to focus on technique.  Before I started this method I read all of 178 pages. This is week three  and I am doing the abbreviated method every 3 days. This is my progress report which is quite lengthy.  

I went back to using my DIY leave in Marshmallow Root conditioner and Flax seed gel but this time I am focusing on technique as you have suggested and viewing all of the video links that you have attached or that has been suggested in the blog.  Your information about plant proteins made sense and I need to be open to changing what I had been taught about proteins in hair. 

I am also going to leave my hair in a wash and go instead of braiding it for awhile.  I need to get use to seeing my hair in this state and learn how to style it.  My hair does shake and the coils are mostly root to tip. My hair is very fine, dense and has high shrinkage.  It is also has lots of gray and I live in a dry climate.  I believe I achieve root to tip a lot faster because I was using ACV, clay washes, coconut oil and Aubrey's hair conditioners before starting this method.   I do not know how to upload pictures and I don't own a Smart phone or digital camera or I would submit pictures. I am an older natural and one day I will embrace all of this new technology.

From you I learn the Aubrey conditioners, which I thought was all natural, and the coconut oil was causing my hair to be dry.  I believe I have mostly 4 a and 4 b hair.    I am doing water rinses in between the three days and adding my leave in and gel as needed.  I have completed 9 complete cycles.  My hair is soft, moisturize and has a nice sheen to it.  I do add a bit of oil using the fingertip method to help with the crunch.  I am still tweaking my leave in and Flax seed recipes but I will share after I use it for three weeks without issues. Thanks to all of the other members who have posted helpful videos and suggestions.   It really has been helpful.

Suggested helpful tips for newcomers:

Read all of the posts before beginning the challenge (Don't be a lazy natural)

View the videos to prefect your technique.

Prepare your products ahead of time.

Follow the instructions as stated.

Ask questions.  People are very helpful on this site

Enjoy your moisturized hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdthompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:38pm
Thanks DenzKoils.
Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 10:20pm
Will freezing the left over CL effect it any?
DenzKoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DenzKoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by pdthompson pdthompson wrote:

<span style="line-height: normal; font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; -: initial; -attachment: initial; -size: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; -: initial; -repeat: initial;">Thanks Protective Princess for the video.  <span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%; -: initial; -attachment: initial; -size: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; -: initial; -repeat: initial;">[1]</span>I am trying the alligator
clips for s</span><span style="line-height: normal; font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">tretching and wringing out the extra water.  Thanks pinkecube
for your previous suggestion to focus on technique.  Before I started this
method I read all of 178 pages. This is week three  and I am doing
the abbreviated method every 3 days. This is my progress report which is quite
lengthy.  </span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 12.6pt;">I went back to using my DIY leave in Marshmallow Root conditioner
and Flax seed gel but this time I am focusing on technique as you have
suggested and viewing all of the video links that you have attached or that has
been suggested in the blog.  Your information about plant proteins made
sense and I need to be open to changing what I had been taught about proteins
in hair. </span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 12.6pt;">I am also going to leave my hair in a wash and go instead of
braiding it for awhile.  I need to get use to seeing my hair in this state
and learn how to style it.  My hair does shake and the coils are mostly
root to tip. My hair is very fine, dense and has high shrinkage.  It is
also has lots of gray and I live in a dry climate.  I believe I achieve
root to tip a lot faster because I was using ACV, clay washes, coconut oil and
Aubrey's hair conditioners before starting this method.   I do not know
how to upload pictures and I don't own a Smart phone or digital camera or I
would submit pictures. I am an older natural and one day I will embrace
all of this new technology.</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-family: Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 12.6pt;">From you I learn the Aubrey conditioners, which I thought was all
natural, and the coconut oil was causing my hair to be dry.  I believe I
have mostly 4 a and 4 b hair.    I am doing water rinses in between
the three days and adding my leave in and gel as needed.  I have completed
9 complete cycles.  My hair is soft, moisturize and has a nice sheen to
it.  I do add a bit of oil using the fingertip method to help with the
crunch.  I am still tweaking my leave in and Flax seed recipes but I will
share after I use it for three weeks without issues. Thanks to all of the other
members who have posted helpful videos and suggestions.   It really has
been helpful.</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><b style="line-height: 12.6pt;"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Suggested helpful tips for newcomers:</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Read all of the posts before beginning the challenge (Don't
be a lazy natural)<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">View the videos to prefect your technique.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Prepare your products ahead of time.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Follow the instructions as stated.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Ask questions.  People are very helpful on this site<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: 12.6pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana, sans-serif;">Enjoy your moisturized hair.<o:p></o:p></span>

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

Would you share your marshmallow root conditioner?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pdthompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:16am
MARSHMALLOW ROOT AND SLIPPERY ELM LEAVE IN

Based on Love your tresses detangling spray with Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm (She has a youtube video that shows how she makes it).  I left out the Argan oil because I wanted it to be more of the consistency of the KCKT).   I only use a fingertip amount of extra virgin olive oil mixed with castor oil before applying my Flax seed gel after applying this leave in because my hair is very fine but dense and APL which can get weighed down and oily with a lot of product.  I am still playing around with the ingredients but so far I like it.  I also leave it in the fridge.  I hope this is helpful. 

MARSHMALLOW ROOT-3 TBSP

DISTILL WATER 3 CUPS

VITAMIN E OIL 20 DROPS

ALOE VERA 1 TBSP

LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL-15 DROPS

LEMONGRASS ESSENTIAL OIL-15 DROPS

SLIPPERY ELM- 1 TBSP

1/3 DISTILL WATER

SPRAY BOTTLE

COMBINE MARSHMALLOW ROOT, WATER, SLIPPERY ELM, AND BOIL ON LOW TO MED HEAT FOR 15 MINUTES. ALLOW TO COOL AND STRAIN HERBS.  FILL 1/3 OF SPRAY BOTTLE WITH DISTILLED WATER AND ADD STRAINED HERBS MIXTURE.  ADD 1 TBSP OF ALOE VERA GEL, VITAMIN E OIL, ESSENTIAL OILS AND SHAKE.   

ysadoralacquers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ysadoralacquers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

Speaking of twists, I believe there was a person who said they were having difficulty keeping their twists staying twisted at the ends. A good solution to that is to use more product there, and coil the twists several times around your finger to set the end of the twist. Always works like a charm for me, hth.

Nice results DesiBbUK! I have been using my leave-in at full strength too and have noticed nice results. I still water it down when it comes to the DC step though.
I also feel like I'm the only one who uses tons of oil on the clay step. xD I pour a whole lot in there, but it adds nice slip to the clay step imo. 

Yes, that was me with the rebellious twists.  More product and less diluted conditioner (plus oil before conditioner) kept my twists in check Thumbs Up
DesiBbUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesiBbUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 11:28am

[/QUOTE]Hi Desibuk. yes it is the unrecommended formulation [new Tresemme Naturals formula], I wouldn't use this, sorry.
[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say thanks... Pinkecube
nothidden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothidden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

I thought this serves as a pretty dramatic visual that nappyness is actually just lightweight hair, not shrinkage or curl tightness.

See how the curls in the first picture are not uniform and how they seem to go more up and out? One would assume she didn't even have curls. One would think her hair is straight, even, since there is no visible curl pattern. Each strand seems to do it's own thing.

This is exactly how everyone's hair behaves when it is frizzy, because with out moisture retention/retained in the hair cortex, the hair will not have weight, and cannot form a uniform curl.

This woman, probably has normal to high porosity hair, plus it is a loose almost straight texture. So her frizz has less bends to twist out of uniform, and does not stand up as much. She also can do less to introduce moisture to her hair than someone with type 4 hair.

The reason why frizz is more apparent on type 4 hair is because our hair has more bends. So there are many random angles are hair can form when it is dehydrated and therefore overly lightweight. This is why our hair can stand all the way up, and usually it only somewhat hangs when wet or when you gain a lot of length.

If it was simply shrinkage that caused frizz, the woman above's hair should look closer to the second
picture. Shrinkage and tightness of your curls make dehydration more
apparent, but shrinkage/coil pattern itself is not actually frizz. You
can have full shrinkage and still have root to tip definition on product
free hair.

This below is a close up of type 4 hair "kinks", the random bends down our hair strand that cause frizz/ ununiformity of the coils/zigzags.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011_10_01_archive. - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

<t></t><t></t><t></t><table ="tr-caption-container"="" style="margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; text-align: center;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center"><t><tr><td style="text-align: center;"> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3LoL5KLZ3Lc/TqVubQRhIrI/AAAAAAAAA48/mxXLS-tXKtc/s1600/hair+kink.jpg - </td></tr>
<tr><td ="tr-caption"="" style="text-align: center;">Single kink (one torsion twist)</td></tr>
</t></table>

<t></t><t></t><t></t><table ="tr-caption-container"="" style="margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; text-align: center;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center"><t><tr><td style="text-align: center;"> http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bDsYCAzlHg4/TqVuUQ5v_BI/AAAAAAAAA40/v6WYuaaD5yg/s1600/kink_hair.jpg - </td></tr>
<tr><td ="tr-caption"="" style="text-align: center;">Double kink (two torsion twists)</td></tr></t></table>

These twists and bends are what really cause frizzy hair, not shrinkage or curl pattern. But if the strand is filled with water, those random bends wont occur. Think of it like a hose with water in it, versus one without.

The one without water will be easy to bend out of shape, twist, and fold over, the one with water will resist bending. Curl uniformity is directly reliant on moisture retention in the cortex, to weigh the hair down from inside the coil. This is the exact reason piling of heavy butters or gel to force a curl never works on 4c hair. Because you cannot effectively make the coils uniform by weighing down the hair from the outside the cuticle. Ultimately this causes more problems, especially tighter textures.

Also, water is the only thing that will effectively weigh down the hair and create curl uniformity, since they best absorb into the hair cortex. Oil cannot do it, even if it is absorbed, because oils are lighter than water, and are not directly moisturizing.

Another visual of lightweight/nappy hair on looser textures

Really interesting and well-explained, Pinkecube. I love the technical aspect of all this.
tyniagf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyniagf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 1:55pm
Hi all, I have a quick question. I want to start doing one of the shorter versions specifally version #2. Now i tried this method before maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. It really didnt give me the same results that i was getting with the longer version. so went back to the longer version figured maybe i need to get more hydration in my hair first. So i tried it again and still not as good. I get a lot less definiton with this method. A lot more fuzz and frizz with this version. So my question is in method #2 instead of doing the clay first then baking soda can i do the baking soda first then clay. Just basically the same as the long version just taking out the DC.  Also i would really love to see some pics of some set styles i.e. twist outs, braid outs, and bantu knot outs.
TIA
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 206207208209210 287>