Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pdthompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote pdthompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 9:44pm
I used Marshmallow Root in my Flax Seed gel and that helped to thicken it up.  Marshmallow Root is an ingredient in the KCNT and KCCC.  A suggested amount to add is 2 tbsp.  There are recipes that boil the Marshmallow Root separately but I boiled the seeds and the Marshmallow Root together and had good results.  I am still tweaking my Flax Seed recipe.  My first attempt came out too thick because I used the same amount of Marshmallow Root and Flax Seed gel.  I just Google Flax Seed and Marshmallow Root recipes.  I hope that is helpful.
Sponsored Links

protectiveprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote protectiveprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 2:06am
Hey guys!  I actually joined the forum several weeks ago, but haven't been able to post.  It has something to do with my computer settings.  I've been trying like crazy to figure it out though.  I've got my fingers crossed that this post will go through.  Shout out to Pinke for this awesome method!
krauseschoenheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote krauseschoenheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 3:59am
Originally posted by pdthompson pdthompson wrote:

I used Marshmallow Root in my Flax Seed gel and that helped to thicken it up.  Marshmallow Root is an ingredient in the KCNT and KCCC.  A suggested amount to add is 2 tbsp.  There are recipes that boil the Marshmallow Root separately but I boiled the seeds and the Marshmallow Root together and had good results.  I am still tweaking my Flax Seed recipe.  My first attempt came out too thick because I used the same amount of Marshmallow Root and Flax Seed gel.  I just Google Flax Seed and Marshmallow Root recipes.  I hope that is helpful.

I used 1 tbs gelatin and 1 teespoon molasse in my flaxseed gel and my gel give me more hold and shine. i will try the marshmallow as soon as i can find it. to see how great those results are too,because they are not easy to find in my area. i don´t know where to buy it. but so far i am making progress with my reciipe. and post pics as soon as i can. 
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 5:44am
Hey protectiveprincess! Welcome to the forum! Did you make sure all the software(specifically java, flash and your browser) on your computer is up to date and run a virus scan? That might help some. What settings do you think are making it difficult to post?

Originally posted by krauseschoenheit krauseschoenheit wrote:

I used 1 tbs gelatin and 1 teespoon molasse in my flaxseed gel and my gel give me more hold and shine. i will try the marshmallow as soon as i can find it. to see how great those results are too,because they are not easy to find in my area. i don´t know where to buy it. but so far i am making progress with my reciipe. and post pics as soon as i can. 
Thanks for posting what you guys do with the flaxseed. I was interested in xanthan gum because I read somewhere that it's used not only to thicken but help prevent flaking, which I had a problem with the last time I used flaxseed gel. I will try marshmallow root if I can find it on the ground or if I'm ordering something online again.

Edited by coiffedcoils - Jul 28 2014 at 5:48am
jlstone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jlstone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 7:46am
Originally posted by VonnVay1 VonnVay1 wrote:

I switch between both.  My twist outs have been the best ever.

I just did a twist out and I agree with you ...best ever
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:36am
Hi all,

I know there are some ladies out there who are considering trying or trying MHM but are out of USA where natural hair products are hard to find. Today a lovely lady who is also doing MHM but is in Nigeria sent me a link to this blog of two naturals in Nigeria and they have done a post on MHM on their blog. One of the blog authors, Mee Mee is going to try the regimen.
http://thekinkandi.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/maximum-hydration-method-anyone/

While browsing their blog I found that there is an online store that has some of the approved conditioners, gels and clay for MHM so I just wanted to leave the link here for anyone who may be considering trying the regimen and needs help looking for products.
http://www.olori.com.ng/

I'm considering making a page on my blog for all the stores online and offline where you can find MHM approved products. So if you are doing MHM and are outside the USA and have store recommendations please email me the links at msdeekay2012 at gmail dot com and I will create a page with store links by country.

I also want to start featuring all of you who are doing MHM on my blog if you are interested here are the questions below just answer them and send me the answers and some of your before and after pictures if you dont want to show your face that is fine you can blur it or hide your face with your hair LOL or show the back of your hair. I will also use the pictures and testimonials in my videos.

Here are the questions below:

1. How long have you been natural? 

2. Why did you decided to go natural and your experience being natural.

3. Also a little bit about your hair like your hair type texture, length.

4. Some of your struggles (if any) being natural before MHM 

5.how did you find out about MHM and why did you decide to give it a try

6. How long have you been doing MHM?

6.  Your experience with MHM so far

6. Your views/experiences and maybe other people's view of your hair before and after MHM.

7. some advice to anyone who is considering trying it for the first time or to other naturals in general. 

And anything that you would like to add ...

Lastly some links to where you can be found online. if you want to be found LOL

Anyone is welcomed to submit. If you just started the regimen you can give your initial thoughts and we can revisit your feature again in the future when you have had more progress with your hair.

Edited by msdeekay - Jul 28 2014 at 10:37am
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by allthingshair allthingshair wrote:

Hello, I've been reading this thread for awhile now and I did the cherry lola treatment a few weeks back but just started doing the method in its entirety yesterday.  My hair is a little past APL and it takes forever to dry.  Walking around with sopping wet hair feels gross to me so I was wondering if it was ok to plop with this method?  I usually plop for 15 mins or so when I do wash and gos and it cuts drying time tremendously.

I just got a question about drying time on my blog and I just wanted to leave the answer here as well.

I know this is not related to plopping but this may help.

She was asking specifically for the winter or colder months...

During the winter colder months you have a couple of options, you could choose to diffuse or sit under a dryer under cool settings. I personally haven’t tried this so I’m not sure how it would affect your hair in terms of frizz. RachelCPR on youtube has a video on some tips on how she does a wash and go in the winter. She also has another video where she shows how she uses n tshirt to remove excess water from her hair, again I’m not sure how this will affect the hair in terms of frizz as I haven’t tried it myself. I will leave the links to both videos below. In my own experience my hair and from others doing the method the hair will take on avg 5 hrs to dry. This does get better as your hair get’s better at holding moisture and is hydrated because you will be using less product. 
Rachelcpr videos:
Winter wash and go hair-

Complete wash and go demo(in this video she shows how she uses a towel to remove excess water from her hair
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 11:02am
Originally posted by cdncoily cdncoily wrote:

Even with a non-ideal conditioner and sometimes going 2 days between washes, my hair is seeing improvements (but it's still fairly frizzy). What I'm noticing is that probably even just from the no-cones/sulfates and extra detangling, I'm seeing my hair keep more of its curls than it did before, it feels and to my eyes even looks thicker/plumper (?), and is getting easier and easier to detangle. It's still not defined enough to be called anything other than an afro, but my hair is softer than ever without any product in it, and there are consistent clumps of coils forming each time I get it wet. Also, when dry I used to think I could only get it this soft with loads of glycerin (curl activator-- I have a full bottle and a 1/3 or so of Sof n' Free left Cry) but now I don't need grease, and I'm sure it's because I have just that little bit more moisture soaking in each time I wash. Shocked

Two questions:
1. It's okay to save leftover baking soda mixture for the next day right? It works because it's a base, as I understand, so I expect it would continue having those properties? I hope so. Embarrassed
2. I finally got my KCKT/KCCC today! At the same time, I think I actually found a moderately more affordable (at least for where I live) conditioner AND gel option, hopefully. Can you confirm they're okay? I list my concerns about each one below.

Strauss Herb Company Styling Gel 
http://www.straussherbco.com/products?action=view&id=132
Ingredients: Water, gum extract, jack pine extract, chamomile flower extract, calendula flower extract, horsetail herb extract, nettle leaf extract, dandelion leaf extract, red clover flower extract, olive fruit oil, pumpkin seed oil.

- Could gum extract cause build-up/stickiness issues?

Strauss Herb Company Moisturizing Herbal Conditioner 
http://www.straussherbco.com/products?action=view&id=128
Ingredients: 
Water, coconut oil, jack pine extract, chamomile flower extract, calendula flower extract, horsetail herb extract, nettle leaf extract, dandelion leaf extract, red clover flower extract, apple cider vinegar, olive fruit oil, pumpkin seed oil, beeswax.

coconut oil won't get all waxy like capric/caprylic triglyceride right? At the following site they explain it's more like a common carrier oil, while capric/caprylic triglyceride is powdery:
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Caprylic_Capric_Triglycerides/464
- is the ACV near the end counterproductive since I'm doing BS rinses?
- Obviously beeswax is bad, but it's at the end of the list, so I'm not sure if it matters, haha

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Hi cdncoily, thanks so much for sharing your progress, it sound like your hair is progressing well.

qn#1. Yes its absolutely fine to leave the baking soda until your next wash. 

The first gel is on the approved list of conditioner so its an absolute yes. I think a couple of people here have tried including Aharri and others.

I think the conditioner may be find if you have no issues with coconut oil. I know my hair personally has issues with coconut oil. But otherwise it looks fine, since the other stuff are at the bottom. Pinke can shed some more light on this.

Edited by msdeekay - Jul 28 2014 at 11:03am
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by protectiveprincess protectiveprincess wrote:

Hey guys!  I actually joined the forum several weeks ago, but haven't been able to post.  It has something to do with my computer settings.  I've been trying like crazy to figure it out though.  I've got my fingers crossed that this post will go through.  Shout out to Pinke for this awesome method!

great to have you on the forum and welcome :) I know that whenever I try to post here from Safari I have some issues, could be some security settings with the browser.

Edited by msdeekay - Jul 28 2014 at 12:38pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

Hey protectiveprincess! Welcome to the forum! Did you make sure all the software(specifically java, flash and your browser) on your computer is up to date and run a virus scan? That might help some. What settings do you think are making it difficult to post?

Originally posted by krauseschoenheit krauseschoenheit wrote:

Thanks for posting what you guys do with the flaxseed. I was interested in xanthan gum because I read somewhere that it's used not only to thicken but help prevent flaking, which I had a problem with the last time I used flaxseed gel. I will try marshmallow root if I can find it on the ground or if I'm ordering something online again.

Thanks you all for posting your experimentation with the flaxseed gel, I would love to give this a try in the future. I have some flaxseeds but just havent gotten around to experimenting with them.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 289>
  Share Topic