Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cdncoily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cdncoily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:12am
I unknowingly posted in the middle of a situation there-- I hope things work out and people don't steal credit for your hard work researching all of this...

pinkecube, I don't know if you saw the post I made yesterday but I had a couple of questions to ask. (It's kinda long, sorry, so maybe you were saving it for later?) I'll just link back to a page ago in case:
http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page164.html

Anyway, have a nice weekend!
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:18am
Originally posted by cdncoily cdncoily wrote:

I unknowingly posted in the middle of a situation there-- I hope things work out and people don't steal credit for your hard work researching all of this...

pinkecube, I don't know if you saw the post I made yesterday but I had a couple of questions to ask. (It's kinda long, sorry, so maybe you were saving it for later?) I'll just link back to a page ago in case:
http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page164.html

Anyway, have a nice weekend!
Hi Cdncoily, that's okay I hope to just take the issue in private and not involve you guys.

Welcome to the forum. Yes I was saving it and i'm actually answering it right now. Have a great weekend Smile

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 18 2014 at 10:26am
coiffedcoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coiffedcoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by coiffedcoils coiffedcoils wrote:

I had a question about people with longer hair, how are you guys wearing your hair at night? It seems everything I do stretches out my hair too much or creates an odd shape...
Hi coiffed coils, You could loosely roll tuck and pin your hair in sections, like i do in my video (page 72.) So that there isn't a lot of tension on the coils as you roll them, so they are not pulled taught and stretch out. It would be done like cornrolls and then you can loosely tie a scarf on your hair letting the end of the scarf drape over your ends. That is what works for me, you may have to make your roll and tuck more loose. You could also make thinner sections if necessary. hth
Hmm, I tried doing the roll pin and tuck and it resulted in my coils hanging below my shoulders. I will try thinner sections to see if that helps.
Thanks for responding c:

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:00am
Originally posted by cdncoily cdncoily wrote:

Hello all and thank you SO MUCH for this informative thread, pinkecube! I read most of the "wash and go" thread from before this and a lot of this thread as well as checking out some YT videos and a bit of msdeekay's site. Wishing you lots of success with promoting this and I'm looking forward to being another success story myself, hopefully. Wink

Though I already had a basic understanding of some of the things you explain here, I also had a lot wrong (glycerin!) and you expanded so much on the stuff I thought I knew (mainly what ingredients to avoid), lol. I'm working on getting the right products for the regimen (I live in Canada where almost all your recommended products are hard to find) and for now am doing what I can with the best products I can find for now-- just so that I can at least get *partial* improvement in my very low porosity, very high density, mostly 4a hair with irritating random wavy strands all over the place. (I have a sneaking suspicion they really are just freak wavy strands and the only way to "get rid" of them is going to be to grow all my hair longer so the weight of the 4a pulls it straighter to blend better. I'd honestly much rather have a shorter style so I really hate this. Cry)

I have a few of questions I'd like to ask if that's okay, as well as a link for fellow Canadians** looking for a little help on the product front (see below!):
Some links I've found useful (apologies if someone posted it and I missed it):

*nice lists of commonly-found product ingredients:
http://www.cynikki.com/2013/06/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair (tells what it is)
http://www.truthinaging.com/ingredients/ (ingredient info for all beauty products)
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ (safety ratings for all beauty product ingredients)

**list of places fellow Canadians can shop both in-person and online (free shipping available!), since not all of us live in Toronto or Montréal, haha:
http://themanecaptain.blogspot.ca/2013/08/10-different-places-to-get-natural-hair.html
(Not just 10 places-- check the comments for more-- I even added some, lol)

Hi cdncoily, welcome to MHM! Thank you so much for your support, glad to have you trying out this method! Sorry about your issues with your conflicting curl pattern, I have felt the same in the past, with my "afro-mullet" and me having 4a hair at the nape, and 4c/4b hair everywhere else. I think this is something that will improve once all your hair starts getting uniform coils; the difference i not going to be something annoying but maybe something you will find yourself fond of. You could decide to get a trim you can cut your hair keeping the shrinkage into factor, similar to what aketafitgirl does so the different levels of shrinkage do not give you an uneven look if that is what you are worried about.

1.  Polysorbate is an emusifier and thickening agent, not a problem, but it isn't something i would want to see high on the list. Yes it has poly quat and panthenol, and glycerin. I would say you can use it temporarily, but you want to switch to an approved conditioner when you are able. These products sound like they would prolong the hydration process and so you may get temporary results but your hair isn't going to be hydrating long term. This is something that would be more problematic if you were starting out this regimen with really tightly coiled, 4c/ 4b hair, you would probably not get a dramatic, quick, and longterm change if you just used any product.

live clean (PINK FIRE) colour protect CONDITIONER
http://live%20clean%20%28PINK%20FIRE%29%20colour%20protect%20CONDITIONER
-with certified organic botanicals- (96% plant ingredients)
Aqua (Water/Eau), Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Extract*, Chamomilla Recuita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract*, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract*, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alchohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Quaternium-18, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Panthenol, Parfum (Fragrance), Citric Acid

yes this ingredient above poses an issue of build up. Poly quats and all these quat salts in a row, it seems like this would be very sticky and prone to building up on your strands. Yes the benzophenone is a salt, and I would avoid the ethylhexl mehoxycinnamate as well.

Down Under Natural's argan oil therapy -
Aqua (Water/Eau), Cetrimonium Chloride WHY?), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Quaternium 18, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Fruit Extract, Prunus Persica (Peach) Fruit Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Passifora Incarnata Fruit Extract, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Fruit Extract), Aleurites Moluccana Seed Extract, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Benzophenone-4, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), DMM Hydantoin, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid.

2. The Cherry lola is a mild protein treatment, made of animal proteins and amino acids that are less prone to sticking stubbornly on the hair and causing build up. acv is okay in this regimen because the issue is it closes the cuticle, which some people are sensitive to, especially low porosity. But since it is the first step, the cuticle should open again during DC and during the clay step. that is why the order we do the steps matter. It is still more recommended the the BC step is used, some people are just sensitive to acv and so DC alone isn't enough to open up their cuticle after having closed them with the rinse.

3. Yes, the reason we blend it is just because its easier and less messy, but it actually still foams a lot, especially the modified version The foaming is the reaction of the bakingsoda to the yogurt. And for me modifying it caused more foaming which made it work better for me, so i agree the more it foams the better it works. Blending it doesn't hinder it from foaming.

HTH!

DesiBbUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote DesiBbUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:27am
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in to say hi. It's so encouraging to see the progress of everyone's hair, work through the anomalies to find what I'm going to call MHM hacks and hear what else is going on.

Thanks for sharing your Paypal link Pinkecube, I'll support there too. 

I haven't counted how many cycles I've done so far, but I'm a month in. Can I just say, I will never leave my hair longer than 3 days without moisturising it!!!! It got very dry and also started to coil onto itself. I can see why wash n gos are key to our hair maintenance because hydrated hair equals less tangled hair.

Someone mentioned previously that their scalp itches when they GHE. Mine itches more when I do the BS rinse. Is there a milder clarifier I could use as I do have sensitive skin anyway? If not, I may just leave it in for a shorter time.

Anyway, I have more before pics, but I took these two of my hair about 30 mins ago with the clay in it. My hair has never ever had waves on top (my most coarsest section) except when I had Leisure Curl in the 90s - remember that?!! LOL

I've noticed my hair is growing like crazy too! Can I say I am happy?! Oh yes I am!

I'm still testing with green clay vs bentonite, curl ecstasy vs KKNT (a batch has just arrived in the UK but won't be on the shelves for long). I will go back to the BS with condish rinse for now.

I'm through my 1st month although I haven't been consistent, I'm learning what my hair loves - Cherry Lola treatment, GHEs and Clay rinses and what it doesn't - not getting watered and moisturised daily.

Edited by DesiBbUK - Jul 18 2014 at 11:42am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by DesiBbUK DesiBbUK wrote:

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in to say hi. It's so encouraging to see the progress of everyone's hair, work through the anomalies to find what I'm going to call MHM hacks and hear what else is going on.

Thanks for sharing your Paypal link Pinkecube, I'll support there too. 

I haven't counted how many cycles I've done so far, but I'm a month in. Can I just say, I will never leave my hair longer than 3 days without moisturising it!!!! It got very dry and also started to coil onto itself. I can see why wash n gos are key to our hair maintenance because hydrated hair equals less tangled hair.

Someone mentioned previously that their scalp itches when they GHE. Mine itches more when I do the BS rinse. Is there a milder clarifier I could use as I do have sensitive skin anyway? If not, I may just leave it in for a shorter time.

Anyway, I have more before pics, but I took these two of my hair about 30 mins ago with the clay in it. My hair has never ever had waves on top (my most coarsest section) except when I had Leisure Curl in the 90s - remember that?!! LOL

I've noticed my hair is growing like crazy too! Can I say happy?! Oh yes I am!

I'm still testing with green clay vs bentonite, curl ecstasy vs KKNT (a batch has just arrived in the UK but won't be on the shelves for long). I will go back to the BS with condish rinse for now.

I'm through my 1st month although I haven't been consistent, I'm learning what my hair loves - Cherry Lola treatment, GHEs and Clay rinses and what it doesn't - not getting watered and moisturised daily.

Hi DesuBbUK, thanks for stopping by sharing your support and progress pictures. Your hair looks greatBig smileClap The past few days have been discouraging but I want to just move past this and continue to spread this regimen to as many people who are willing so can be aware their hair journey doesn't have to be difficult. Thanks for your support-- your pictures and testimony are encouraging and giving me life. For your questions, yes this is not the first time i've heard about itching during that step. You can try to leave it on less time or put a bit less bakingsoda. Just to be sure you are doing the updated mixture that includes water, right? These are on page 72 if you need to find them, and there is actually a new conditioner free mixture on page 127. I hope that helps. I'm glad this method is helping you learn about your hair, and that you are retaining length. So many people think that protective styling is the only way we can get our hair to grow, but there are other options like this proving to be more effective. Glad to have you part of the MHM family. Smile

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 18 2014 at 11:42am
DesiBbUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DesiBbUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:47am
Hey Pinke,

Yes I add water to the BS with conditioner at the ratios on page 72. I tried the honey and oil version but it was too runny for me and I think I need more help from the conditioners.

I read through all the posts last night and really felt for you. We've all got your back - don't worry. Wink

My hair is thanks to you so - thanks!!!

*standing ovation* ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapThumbs Up

Bear in mind my hair doesn't dry like that but I know in time it will get kinda close. :)

DesiBbUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DesiBbUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 12:15pm
Hey Pinke,

I can't reply or send PMs probably because I don't have enough points. I would really like to send you a message about how I'd like to help especially in light of this week's events. Do you mind PM'ing me your best email address please? Or you can send me an email to desireebanugo[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk whichever is easiest.

Thanks!

DB

Edited by DesiBbUK - Jul 18 2014 at 12:17pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 1:14pm

Hey Pinke,

I can't reply or send PMs probably because I don't have enough points. I would really like to send you a message about how I'd like to help especially in light of this week's events. Do you mind PM'ing me your best email address please? Or you can send me an email to desireebanugo[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk whichever is easiest.

Thanks!

DB

Hey Pinke,

Yes I add water to the BS with conditioner at the ratios on page 72. I tried the honey and oil version but it was too runny for me and I think I need more help from the conditioners.

I read through all the posts last night and really felt for you. We've all got your back - don't worry. Wink

My hair is thanks to you so - thanks!!!

*standing ovation* ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapThumbs Up

Bear in mind my hair doesn't dry like that but I know in time it will get kinda close. :)

Okay, I will pm you my email. Thanks so much for your support and appreciation, this means a lot to me knowing i'm not alone in this. It's great to see your progress, just know that it only gets better from here.
DenzKoils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DenzKoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:16pm
Pinkecube don't let that situation get under your skin. No matter what others try to do it won't work because they don't have your intent, your knowledge or your investment. The people that you are meant to help will find their way to you.

Stay positive, stay focused and invest your energy only in what you want. Let the rest just fall away.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 288>
  Share Topic