Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 246>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 4:58am
Originally posted by curlymama curlymama wrote:

I wanted to check I have the timings for the first 3 steps right - can someone look over this and tell me if I'm doing it right

1. Clarify - BS & Conditioner & water - leave in 30-60mins
2. Condition - if doing this in the day 1hr with heat cap - if in the night then overnight
3. Clay - leave in min 15mins

thanks!!
Hi curlymama, For the conditioner step its 15 - 20 minutes for a steamer/hooded dryer or 10 - 15 for warmed conditioner I'm not sure about a heating cap. The clay is 15 mins or more. clarify step is fine.

Sponsored Links

ElsieJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ElsieJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 5:13am
To be fair I think the term 'maximum hydration' has been around for a while, especially as part of CG method, just google it e.g. 

http://www.amazon.com/DevaCurl-Maximum-Hydration-Duo-Set/dp/B00BAKDLJG

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/beginners/finding_a_regimen/curly-girl-method-natural-hair/

There are even videos going back a few years on youtube using the term 'maximum hydration'. To me, the stylist just looks like she is doing a normal wash and go. A lot of people don't like using gels with protein due to protein over load and a lot of people do wash and goes like that. I get the impression that if this stylist calls herself 'the wash and go queen' she has probably been performing this technique on her clients for a while now, possibly before the advent of mhm. There is also a clear difference with what this lady is doing and mhm in that I don't think she recommended re-doing the process every few days (i.e. she didn't mention a set regimen) and I certainly didn't see her use/recommend use of clays. 

To my understanding mhm enables retention of curl pattern and definition once gel/products have been washed out whereas with traditional wash and goes, as performed by this lady the curls will disappear on washing.

Basically, I don't think there is anything to worry about Smile

Edited by ElsieJay - Jul 17 2014 at 5:30am
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by ElsieJay ElsieJay wrote:

To be fair I think the term 'maximum hydration' has been around for a while, especially as part of CG method, just google it e.g. 

http://www.amazon.com/DevaCurl-Maximum-Hydration-Duo-Set/dp/B00BAKDLJG

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/beginners/finding_a_regimen/curly-girl-method-natural-hair/

There are even videos going back a few years on youtube using the term 'maximum hydration'. To me, the stylist just looks like she is doing a normal wash and go. A lot of people don't like using gels with protein due to protein over load and a lot of people do wash and goes like that. I get the impression that if this stylist calls herself 'the wash and go queen' she has probably been performing this technique on her clients for a while now, possibly before the advent of mhm. There is also a clear difference with what this lady is doing and mhm in that I don't think she recommended re-doing the process every few days (i.e. she didn't mention a set regimen) and I certainly didn't see her use/recommend use of clays. 

To my understanding mhm enables retention of curl pattern and definition once gel/products have been washed out whereas with traditional wash and goes, as performed by this lady the curls will disappear on washing.

Basically, I don't think there is anything to worry about Smile
Hi Elsie Jay thnx for leaving your thoughts about this. IMHO I have no issue with her using the term maximum hydration because I know that the term comes from the Curly Girl Method and I agree the way she did the process is different. However, what was surprising to me is how she explained some things in the video is very similar if not the same exact choice of words that Pinke uses here. Almost like she was referencing information from this post. I have seen videos mentioning this term before and they usually explain it in their own way. Another example is the video that kaffores referenced a few weeks back from Andy D, in which he used a similar technique and used his own choice of words to talk about the process although it sounds similar too. 
If you followed the thread from where it originated wash and gos dont work on "nappy" hair, Pinke originally was talking about the curly girl method wash and go but it brought so much debate and confusion that she decided to use the maximum hydration term to explain the exact condition of hair she is referring to, she even posted a video from aketafitgirl talking about it and showing her hair.
I honestly dont think there is anything wrong with people leaving comments referencing to the forum post if infact they are comfortable in doing that and that is where they find out about this term/regimen.
ElsieJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ElsieJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 6:17am
Thanks for responding and explaining the background behind it all. To be honest I didn't even notice all the terminology she was using I was mainly watching her technique. I also didn't know all the background to others plagiarising this forum. I guess if you guys have been working on something for so long it's easy to notice and must be really disappointing when people don't give due credit. I hope this doesn't happen too often in the future.

Thanks again Smile
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 6:22am
I just wanted to add that directing people here would actually benefit them, because now they will be able to learn about how to care for their hair in a way that will help them retain the moisturized/hydrated condition beyond styling with the wash and go.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 6:36am
Originally posted by ElsieJay ElsieJay wrote:

Thanks for responding and explaining the background behind it all. To be honest I didn't even notice all the terminology she was using I was mainly watching her technique. I also didn't know all the background to others plagiarising this forum. I guess if you guys have been working on something for so long it's easy to notice and must be really disappointing when people don't give due credit. I hope this doesn't happen too often in the future.

Thanks again Smile
You're welcome Elsie Jay Big smile Thank you for understanding where we are coming from with this...I sure do hope that we do not run into these type of things in the future and that Pinke is able to get credit for this, as she has really been trying to educate people on this. All we really want is for her hard work, effort and contribution in re-educating the community to be recognized in some form Big smile
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 6:48am
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by curlymama curlymama wrote:

I wanted to check I have the timings for the first 3 steps right - can someone look over this and tell me if I'm doing it right

1. Clarify - BS & Conditioner & water - leave in 30-60mins
2. Condition - if doing this in the day 1hr with heat cap - if in the night then overnight
3. Clay - leave in min 15mins

thanks!!
Hi curlymama, For the conditioner step its 15 - 20 minutes for a steamer/hooded dryer or 10 - 15 for warmed conditioner I'm not sure about a heating cap. The clay is 15 mins or more. clarify step is fine.

yes, everything is correct curly mama.
ElsieJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ElsieJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 6:53am
d

Edited by ElsieJay - Jul 17 2014 at 11:16pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 7:33am
in regard to this issue about the youtubers, this discussion is officially closed. I don't want to escalate drama and further out of proportion causing distractions away from what is important. I would like to proceed in a positive light with only MHM related issues.

I have decided to pull down some of my messages directly referencing the issue and will be dealing with this privately going forward. I do not want to bring you guys into this or escalate the situation. I hope to contact bhm in assisting me to remove some of the comments, but we will see.

Guys, i'm going to post an email I sent to charjay on june 20th. The proof is there.

I saw her youtube page, which is how i contact many youtubers. It says to contact her. here's the screen shot:

stollenn

Here is the very detailed email I sent her, explaining the concepts of the method and how it actually works. She and Char Jay have been friends on youtube for 3 years. They already knew about MHM. I didn't even remeber I emailed her, but I did. huge noticable pictures and everything. If you right click view image, you should have a larger view of these documents that are very easy to read.

stolen

stole

stollen

soolen

steel

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 18 2014 at 3:04am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2014 at 7:53am
here is the text of what i wrote, for some reason the pics wont blow up.

"Max Curl Hydration On 4c Hair
2 messages
Pinke Cube.Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM
To: Info@chary-jay.com
Hi Chary-Jay, I'm one of your subscribers on youtube. I have 4c hair and have been natural for 7 years. I created a hair regimen that finally solves many of the issues 4c natural deal with. I am sharing the following hair regimen with you in hopes that you will read into it, give it a test run for a week, and simply document your results on any form of social media. It is called the Maximum Hydration Method, and it was created to solve many of the issues we in the 4c/4b and type 4 community as a whole deal with our hair.  This regimen is a system that strategically increases moisture retention by controlling all the factors that effect absorption on water in the hair cortex, until max hydration is reached. My goal here is to help spread this regimen and help the 4c hair naturals who are having difficulties with their hair regimens. Thank you for taking the time to read this email, and feel free to email me back if you have any questions about the regimen, how it works and if you want specific explanations on some of the things I have researched about type 4 hair.

Here is the brief of the regimen:

Step1. Clarify and remove build up with ACV or B.S. mixture or Step1. Modified/Unmodified cherry lola treatment

Step2. Deep Condition/GHE/Steam

Step3. Clay rinse(bentonite, rhassoul, whatever) this is make curls pop, lift the cuticles for moisture absorption, and further remove build up.

Step4. Leave in conditioner(it can be the same conditioner you use for all steps, just water it down)

Step5. Gel

Link to Detailed MHM 5 step regimen and rules:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10888148.html?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148

It is also on this blog:

http://www.msdeekay.com/the-maximum-hydration-method/the-maximum-hydration-method-regimen/

I've been natural for 7 years, and my 4c hair journey has always been sort of an uphill battle for me. My hair wasn't retaining length even though i protective styled all the time, in fact many of the protective styles were causing some of my problems.

I would do many techniques for moisturizing, including cowashing, respritzing, low manipulation, different oils and hair vitamins-- only for my hair to make very little progress in terms of moisture, health, and length retention... My styles never came out right, they were just time consuming but didn't yield results I'd seen on other people. If I got lucky they would come out decent, but they would last only a day.

The real change in my hair journey happened when my hair didn't like an ingredient in the highly recommended gel i was using and my hair started thinning every time i used it. I got a small dime size bald spot near the front of my head. My six years natural was all down the drain, and my hair was uneven anyway so i big chopped again.

This bald spot i got, completely smooth and no follicles showing stopped getting bigger when i dropped the TEA gels, but it still didn't grow back for almost a year. So somehow I was compelled to wear a shower cap on my head 24 hours a day. I eventually figured out this was called GHE, or the green house effect. I did this for 3 months straight. when I took peeks at my hair, I saw it growing back. And when I finally looked at my hair again on month 3, my hair had grown in, 1.5 inches. But that wasn't all. It was curling from root to tip! This was 4c hair, an area that just looked completely undefined no matter how much ecostyler gel I tried to pile on my hair. This excited me. I later discovered, my hair had actually grown out of my hair with max hydration.

Eventually while researching, I came across terms like, "Max Hydration". Then I looked up Max hydration, i wanted to see what it looked like on type 4 hair. That was when I discovered the youtubers Aketafitgirl, and Danabnatural. They compelled me to share the information they gave and also to and start doing a lot of research about porosity, different technqiues, kinks, products, ingredients.

After all this research I finally found I was able to answer all the mysteries about my 4c hair and why it behaved the way it did! I complied all this information together and created a method for it. These last 4 months, doing this regimen has given me the greatest changes in my hair since becoming natural in June, 2006.

BEFORE MHM:

AFTER

(Product Free)

(wash and go)

http://images41.fotki.com/v1580/photos/9/3265899/13050538/WIN_20140526_065907-vi.jpg

Many of us in the type 4 natural community have issues with tangles, knots, retaining length, and retaining moisture and definition in styling. Eventually we convince ourselves our hair is "just that way" and meant to be hidden away in protective styles. But it doesn't have to be this way.

The Maximum hydration method, actively retains water in the cortex. This regimen does not loosen the curl pattern, it allows those tiny and compact curl patterns that are already there to show up, and clump.

Once you retain moisture in the cortex, many of the negative impacts type 4 naturals deal with don't happen.

Once you reach max hydration:

Root to tip definition on product free hair(max hydration)

Root to tip definition in wash and gos

Moveable shakable hair, even when dry

Better Length retention

Other Styles last longer, feel better and look better with less product

Soft, pliable hair

Detangling is quicker and requires less effort

single strand knots & split ends rarely occur

This is what Completely Product Free type 4 hair that has total maximum hydration looks doing techniques from MHM regimen.
http://youtu.be/6ieGaLmvUlc

People with 4c and type 4 hair on youtube progressing with MHM.

http://youtu.be/b_1-CFWz_iY

Thank you for taking the time to read this email, and feel free to email me back if you have any questions about the regimen, how it works and want explanations on some of the things I have researched about type 4 hair."

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 17 2014 at 7:53am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style