Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by curlymama curlymama wrote:

Hi ChristineUK - I might be wrong but is clay not more effective when it dries (as it draws the impurities to the surface). Putting a shower cap on might keep the mixture from drying although adding heat may speed it up but not sure if there is any benefit to doing this. I'm sure pinke can clarify :)
Hi, curlymama. Actually it's okay. The reason clay works is it has a magnetic quality, not so much the drying. I've tried it with heat, and encounetered no issues. It's pretty common to steam with clay as well. Now trying to do that with step 1 would be problematic, so I don't recommend it there since that would hinder the clarifying ablity of the bakingsoda and ACV.
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by tyniagf1 tyniagf1 wrote:

Hi all, I wanted to know how long does it take before you start seeing clumping? Do i need to maybe do something extra or more? I honestly have to admit that i dont really do too much separating during the clay process. Is this why maybe i am not seeing clumping? I am however seeing nice curls forming. Tomorrow will make one month since i started the regimen. I have been able to elevate the crunch. Not sure if it is due to just repeating the regimen like Pinkecube stated or if it is because i switched from KKNT to Tresemme. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Originally posted by tyniagf1 tyniagf1 wrote:

Hi all, I wanted to know how long does it take before you start seeing clumping? Do i need to maybe do something extra or more? I honestly have to admit that i dont really do too much separating during the clay process. Is this why maybe i am not seeing clumping? I am however seeing nice curls forming. Tomorrow will make one month since i started the regimen. I have been able to elevate the crunch. Not sure if it is due to just repeating the regimen like Pinkecube stated or if it is because i switched from KKNT to Tresemme. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Hi tyniagf, welcome to MHM! Smile I noticed clumping immediately. It wasn't as good as now, not all of my hair did clump, and not all of the clumping was root to tip. But it was still amazing for me. And my hair was a bit more crunchy on first day, where as now my hair feels marshmallow soft. I think it is part technique, but some strands are so stubborn you just have to wait until they start to clump without product from increase in hydration, to see them clump with gel.

Here are things to look into:

1. Applying product on soaking wet hair. This includes:
  • Wet hair when applying DC.
  • Wet hair when applying clay
  • Wet hair when applying leave in. You can apply your leave in all at once under the running shower water, right after you rinse out the clay. And then apply more as needed, section by section before applying gel.
  • Hair must remain wet as you apply gel.

2. Separating during the clay step. You can watch a tuturial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbB4TQGsOck

3. Making sure to properly separate coils as you apply leave in and gel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGr2F2LIObE

4. Making sure all your products are MHM friendly

5. Making sure you have experimented with other options. For example, your hair could have an issue with acv, and prefer bakingsoda. Or maybe you may benifit from steaming instead of just a warm cowash.

6. Making sure you are not expecting results too fast.

7. Making sure you are not spacing out your regimen repeats too far apart. Even if you can't do all the steps, it's better to introduce moisture by either doing step 1 and stopping at DC until you can complete the other steps, or even just doing a quick cowash leave in and go. Anything is better than going a week with out moisturizing your hair if you are just starting out. Keep with in 3-4 days.

8. You can try leaving the B.S./ACV/Clay/DC steps longer.

9. making sure you are properly getting shed hairs out and detangling to help your coils not want to stick together in big frizzy clumps.

Btw, to all MHM Newbies, make sure you have checked out page 72 if you haven't already!! Some slight changes have been made to the regimen, so make sure you are aware of them.

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 16 2014 at 3:32pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by curlymama curlymama wrote:

So Day 1 is complete and I just wanted to share a pic - I'm pleased with the results but think I'll need to tweak my flaxseed gel. I may have overcooked it - is that possible? It's very gunky and not easy to work with. I bought some marshmallow root so will use that also.

I'm feeling exhausted thinking about doing it all over again this evening but I'm thinking of the end goal!

thanks for sharing your pic progress, curlymama. I'm not an expert on flaxseed gel, but try with the marshmellow root. You're making great progress, keep it up. It only gets better and better, your efforts will be well rewarded and then you can relax, lol Big smile
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by jlstone2 jlstone2 wrote:

Question, can you use a detangling brush along with your fingers during the deep condition and detangle section of the method?  I never seem to be able to detangle my 4c tresses well I'm left with shed hairs that tangle.
Yes, you can. I highly recommend fully adopting finger detangling when you are able. Just make sure its something like a loretta featherwood brush(can be found really cheaply, but I don't remember the other name) or a denman.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Still doing version 2 and I really am liking it. I still DC once a week and my hair is growing crazy fast. I don't like the alternate baking soda mixture because its way too runny and smells weird LOL, so im going to stick to condish/BS

pinke have you thought about  adding a little BS in the clay mixture? Or would that be too stripping
I wouldn't recommend it until i have tried it myself. my initial impression is it would make the clay rinse a bit too stripping, and other than that have no real contribution by being added to the clay rinse. The BS is the same ph as the clay, so i don't think its going to make a significant difference. Thanks for the updates btw.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by DenzKoils DenzKoils wrote:

I'm still doing the regimen 2 to 3 times a week. Not seeing much of a change yet. Last week I realized I need to shingle and finger combb my hair for about 20 minutes when I apply the conditioner to start training my hair to lay down. Doing it at the mud step is too late. I am hoping that even though my hair doesn't look any more defined that it is hydrating.

I don't have any definition now so I am going to try a wng the second weekend in august.
Hey Denz Koils.  Keep it up. You can try to double check or diagnose what might be getting in the way. I made a list in my reply to tyniagf. You want to make sure you're using approved products, experimenting with other options, etc. Signs to look for:

You'll feel coils at your roots. It will be easier to get to your scalp. Your hair will shake and have movement. It will be more weighed down when wet. Will feel softer, will start clumping in areas. Will show more clumping with out product.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Ethomas137 Ethomas137 wrote:

Good Evening,
O.k I tried the bs rinse instead of the acv tonight. OMG!!! My hair is wonderful. My tangles were much more manageable and my hair was a lot softer. I also don't see as much shedding. Don't know if that's the baking soda or just the fact that I'm on day 4.  I am sitting with clay wash on my hair as i type this so I don't know what the end result will be but I am recording the journey with pictures.  I usually go to bed with wet hair under a plastic cap and let air dry during the day, but tonight I'm going to try the stretching method just to see what happens.  Tomorrow night is a late night for me so i won't be doing the treatment but I will pick up day 5 on Thursday.
Keep you posted, thanks for the recommendation about switching rinses and I'll post again.  Im still looking for a alternative gel, that's a little more reasonable than kckt gel. I have xtreme gel and flaxseed gel that I'm going to use tonight. I'll let you know my results/progress.

Hi Ethomas, glad to hear your hair responded better this time. I think your hair may jus like BS better. You're welcome, can't wait for the pictures. BTW do you mean wetline xtreme, I would not use that gel, it's got ingredients that are not approved for this method. For list of gels, you can look on page 72. I would love to know how the stretching works out for you.

Originally posted by MrsEllis MrsEllis wrote:

Hello Everyone.

I don't know if you all are aware of this or not (because I wasn't), but Walgreens sells the Kinky-Curly products.  It was not listed on the Kinky Curly website under their list of retailers, but when I googled the KKKT ingredients trying to find a recipe for a homemade version, one of the results was a link to the product on walgreens.com and I saw that several stores in predominantly Black neighborhoods here have the KC products in stock. 

This is great news for me because there are a lot more Walgreens near me than there are Target stores so until I find an alternative, I will continue to use the KC products.

Happy Hydrating, Everyone!  :-)

Hi Mrs Ellis, welcome to MHM Big smile Thanks for sharing the info about the kinky curly, I may look that up myself to see if the store location is in my area.

Originally posted by TariTari TariTari wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the MHM today on my transitioning hair. I'm doing the cherry Lola now and will DC with Organicals Intense Moisture Hair Cream. My leave in is the previously mentioned Marshmallow Moisture Balm that I mix with a little of the Intense Hair Cream. I don't have a need for a gel yet, since I'm not all natural, so I'm sealing with Avocado Oil right now. I'll try the Ingredients To Die For Curl Defining Gel (see previous post) when I BC.

I think the ingredients work, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Intense Moisture Hair Cream:
Organicals Intense Moisture Hair Cream
INCI: ORG Aloe barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice (and) Salix alba (White Willow) Bark Extract (and) Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) Flower Extract (and) Panax ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract (and) Ilex raraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Leaf Extract (and) ORG Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet), Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Persea americana (Avocado) Oil (and) Macadamia integrifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil (and) Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) Oil, EcoCert Gluconolactone, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides (and) Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Squalane (Olive), Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Creatine, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate DONE
Hi TariTari, welcome to the MHM family. Smileyes this is okay

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 16 2014 at 3:45pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Ok, thanks pinkecube  just received my bottle of kinky curly knot today and the custard, so I guess I'll stick with those for now. It looks like I'll need to order some more, doesn't look like they'll last me for too long. Going to get the rest of the items for the cherry lola caramel treatment this weekend and I should be set to start the regimen so excited Big smile

That's great! Now, remember you can water it down by adding a little to a separate application bottle and shaking it. It foams a lot, don't add so much where it get too watery, but you can look to see weather the consistency is still thick enough. I find now that i can water down the kckt pretty well, i water it down for every step now, and i actually find it is easier to spread and still gives me great slip.

and also do not have to use as much gel anymore, after doing my hair for the first time in a week yesterday. and my second day hair still shakes. Because while i wasn't doing my hair i still did step 1 and 2 and just kept ghe for an entire week, only clarifying w/ BS again once more, that my hair was still able to retain moisture while i was very busy. I had easier definition and my first day hair was shakeable the whole day and already starting to root to tip define after my clay rinse. My hydration levels significantly increased, because even though i didn't do my hair, i made sure to take advantage of the first 2 steps.

Pinke! This looks perfect for my schedule! Can you elaborate? I think I see that you said for a week you only did the Clarify and Deep Condition steps, and kept a plastic bag on the entire time? Then you clarified again? But what was your timeline and how many days between each clarifying session? I am trying to ease up on my use of my homemade flaxseed gel.....it's quite crunchy and I haven't gotten my recipe right yet. My last batch (Flaxseed gel, grapeseed oil and pectin) left horrible white and flaky residue in my hair.  Did you just wear the shower cap under a hat or scarf the entire time? My baby can do this cuz she's not in school right now and has that freedom.....I can buy a head wrap to wear at work. 
Hi, nicks_hotmama. Yes I space out steps 2 and 3 with longterm DC. If it is longer than 3 or 4 days i clarify again. Try next time maybe try flaxseed with an oil, marshmallow root, irish moss or horsetail. A great thing about these homemade gels is you can freeze them after you make them, then defrost and reboil if necessary so you can make a lot once your mixture is mastered. Yes, I just wore it under a scarf, beanie, or wig cap with a wig over it. Make sure if your hair is longer than 5 inches that when you do longterm DC not to leave your hair loose under. You can do the roll tuck and pin technique or twist your hair in big sections.
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 5:14pm
Hey everyone, wanted to update

I've been getting good results using the modified MHM. My hair is remaining soft all day and for multiple days in a row. Hair is having less breakage. Hair is actually soft. Hair always feels moisturized. It is fantastic. 

I still have not reached max hydration in that my hair is not blowing in the wind. It only moves when the hair is wet. 

For now, I am satisfied with the results so I haven't committed to doing the full original daily. But thought my experience might provide some insights.

Crownstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Crownstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 5:31pm
Pinkecube - - -First and foremost I want to say THANK YOU! I now love my 4C, low porosity, thin stranded, dry hair. I been natural since March 2013 and FINALLY found a method that works. For anyone that don’t believe this works, try it and you will be amazed at how manageable your hair will be - - even if you don’t do wash and go’s you can benefit from this method for moisture retention, healthy hair.
I’m making my way thru all the comments (on page 66) but had to stop and say THANK YOU. Unfortunately, I didn’t take before pictures but will try and post my current results – I’m not 100% hydrated but I’m a long way from where I started 2 weeks ago.
I’d like to make some comments:
KCNT & KCCC- Yes they are expensive – but so very worth the price. I have a beauty supply store in my house (literally) and these products by far are the best that I’ve tried. I’ve jumped on the bandwagon for any new product out there in hopes of helping my hair so I know.
I’m a couponer so I’ve been able to afford the products by couponing. I live in Jax, FL (US) and these are some of the things I do as it’s rare to see these products on sale.
Walgreens offers bonus reward points when you buy certain products – I buy the products that I can get for free with coupons that offer reward points that I can later use on buying KCNT & KCCC.
Target: offers $5 gift cards when you purchase certain items. I use my coupons and get the items at a reduced or free and then save the gift cards and purchase products.
Home Goods: Always have 20% off coupons for a single item – I use the coupons and stock up.
Kinky Curly Website: They do offer larger sizes (and refills) if you can’t access on the ground easily. May be expensive initially but may be cheaper in the long run - from a shipping cost standpoint.
Trader Joe’s Tea Tingle Conditioner: We don’t have TJ’s in Jax, but I have family in GA and will stock up when I visit – the prices on line are crazy. The cost in the store is $3.99 per 16 oz. I actually like the KCNT better but do use this product for deep conditioning and the baking soda application and save the KKNT as a leave in.
If anyone else knows other inexpensive ways of acquiring products please let me know. For example coupon codes like Aharri provided, etc.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 289>
  Share Topic