Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TariTari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TariTari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 7:07pm
I discovered that one of the "okay" gels is a wholesale product, with a couple ingredients added. The wholesale item is cheaper per ounce, before shipping. If you mixed the ingredients to Die For gel with their Marshmallow Moisture Balm, you'll get something almost identical to the Epiphany product.

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil -$16, 8oz $2/oz

Ingredients:
Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5)(6th to last ingredient), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

Ingredientstodiefor.com Curl Defining Gel

INCI: ORG Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate

Curl Defining Gel Wholesale Pricing:
Size      *
      1 oz      $4.25
      16 oz      $19.38
      32 oz      $28.25
      8 lb      $80.12
      40 lb      $360.38

Ingredientstodiefor.com Marshmallow Moisture Balm

INCI: ORG Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, EcoCert Propanediol (Corn), ORG Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Gluconolactone, Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), ORG Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, ORG Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate
Marshmallow Moisture Balm Wholesale Pricing:
Size      *
      1 oz      $3.50
      32 oz      $36.81
      8 lb      $78.88
      40 lb      $348.83

Edited by TariTari - Jul 15 2014 at 7:17pm
Sponsored Links

TariTari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TariTari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 7:40pm
Hi everyone!

I'm starting the MHM today on my transitioning hair. I'm doing the cherry Lola now and will DC with Organicals Intense Moisture Hair Cream. My leave in is the previously mentioned Marshmallow Moisture Balm that I mix with a little of the Intense Hair Cream. I don't have a need for a gel yet, since I'm not all natural, so I'm sealing with Avocado Oil right now. I'll try the Ingredients To Die For Curl Defining Gel (see previous post) when I BC.

I think the ingredients work, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Intense Moisture Hair Cream:
Organicals Intense Moisture Hair Cream
INCI: ORG Aloe barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice (and) Salix alba (White Willow) Bark Extract (and) Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) Flower Extract (and) Panax ginseng (Ginseng) Root Extract (and) Ilex raraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Leaf Extract (and) ORG Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable), Behentrimonium Methosulfate, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet), Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Persea americana (Avocado) Oil (and) Macadamia integrifolia (Macadamia) Nut Oil (and) Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Argania spinosa (Argan) Oil, EcoCert Gluconolactone, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides (and) Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Squalane (Olive), Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride, Creatine, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate DONE

Edited by TariTari - Jul 15 2014 at 7:42pm
Ethomas137 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethomas137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 9:20pm
Good Evening,
O.k I tried the bs rinse instead of the acv tonight. OMG!!! My hair is wonderful. My tangles were much more manageable and my hair was a lot softer. I also don't see as much shedding. Don't know if that's the baking soda or just the fact that I'm on day 4.  I am sitting with clay wash on my hair as i type this so I don't know what the end result will be but I am recording the journey with pictures.  I usually go to bed with wet hair under a plastic cap and let air dry during the day, but tonight I'm going to try the stretching method just to see what happens.  Tomorrow night is a late night for me so i won't be doing the treatment but I will pick up day 5 on Thursday.
Keep you posted, thanks for the recommendation about switching rinses and I'll post again.  Im still looking for a alternative gel, that's a little more reasonable than kckt gel. I have xtreme gel and flaxseed gel that I'm going to use tonight. I'll let you know my results/progress.
kaforres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaforres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Originally posted by kaforres kaforres wrote:

@aharri23, I remember you saying awhile back that the green tea curl glaze made your hair hard/crunchy.  Do you have any advice on how to use it without making you hair crunchy?  Did you water it down, if so what were your measurements.  Today will be day 4 doing the MHM and I don't want hard/crunchy hair.  I would like to have @pinkecube results, soft and flowing. Thanks for the help!
GCTG made my hair hard 1st day but 2nd and 3rd day hair I was fine. I actually like the crunch because it means the moisture is sealed in and my hair wont tangle. If you want less crunch use more leave-in conditioner or layer a small amount of oil before adding the gel

Thanks for the advice @aharri23.  I actually watered down the gel, but I may try using more conditioner tomorrow because I kept getting crunchy hair Confused.  So far so good though.  I've been DCing all day today, I will pick up with the clay step tomorrow.
MrsEllis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 12:04am
Hello Everyone.

I don't know if you all are aware of this or not (because I wasn't), but Walgreens sells the Kinky-Curly products.  It was not listed on the Kinky Curly website under their list of retailers, but when I googled the KKKT ingredients trying to find a recipe for a homemade version, one of the results was a link to the product on walgreens.com and I saw that several stores in predominantly Black neighborhoods here have the KC products in stock. 

This is great news for me because there are a lot more Walgreens near me than there are Target stores so until I find an alternative, I will continue to use the KC products.

Happy Hydrating, Everyone!  :-)
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 12:41am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Ok, thanks pinkecube  just received my bottle of kinky curly knot today and the custard, so I guess I'll stick with those for now. It looks like I'll need to order some more, doesn't look like they'll last me for too long. Going to get the rest of the items for the cherry lola caramel treatment this weekend and I should be set to start the regimen so excited Big smile

That's great! Now, remember you can water it down by adding a little to a separate application bottle and shaking it. It foams a lot, don't add so much where it get too watery, but you can look to see weather the consistency is still thick enough. I find now that i can water down the kckt pretty well, i water it down for every step now, and i actually find it is easier to spread and still gives me great slip.

and also do not have to use as much gel anymore, after doing my hair for the first time in a week yesterday. and my second day hair still shakes. Because while i wasn't doing my hair i still did step 1 and 2 and just kept ghe for an entire week, only clarifying w/ BS again once more, that my hair was still able to retain moisture while i was very busy. I had easier definition and my first day hair was shakeable the whole day and already starting to root to tip define after my clay rinse. My hydration levels significantly increased, because even though i didn't do my hair, i made sure to take advantage of the first 2 steps.

Pinke! This looks perfect for my schedule! Can you elaborate? I think I see that you said for a week you only did the Clarify and Deep Condition steps, and kept a plastic bag on the entire time? Then you clarified again? But what was your timeline and how many days between each clarifying session? I am trying to ease up on my use of my homemade flaxseed gel.....it's quite crunchy and I haven't gotten my recipe right yet. My last batch (Flaxseed gel, grapeseed oil and pectin) left horrible white and flaky residue in my hair.  Did you just wear the shower cap under a hat or scarf the entire time? My baby can do this cuz she's not in school right now and has that freedom.....I can buy a head wrap to wear at work. 
iheartsmimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iheartsmimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 10:09am
hello everyone! i have been gone for a bit and came back to see new members joining this challenge. how exciting! i am on page 87 on this thread so i seriously need to catch up! please forgive me if anything i ask or state was answered before. 

forewarning this is a long postLOL

i've been doing the regimen for 2 months now and i must say my hair is improving. my first month i was doing it every day to reach hydration levels quicker before i wore my PS the following month. everything was going okay until i got my cornrows done. it was partly my fault because i should have stopped the lady braiding my hair. she was way too rough and way too impatient which resulted in me losing a significant amount of hair. i start tearing up now just thinking how dumb i was for letting her rip through my hair. when i went home i immediately took out the braids and lost more hair and experienced major breakage. i completed the entire steps to get my hair back to "normalcy" my hair is much shorter and thinner nowCry i am still doing the regimen and although i experience minor breakage and shedding it definitely has improved and i am noticing my hair is getting thicker- so there is light at the end of the tunnelSmile anybody have tips on how to grow thicker hair while doing this regimen will be greatly appreciated!

some things i will do different or have done different:  

1) i have only been using the acv mixture in step 1 for the past 2 months and will now switch over to the BS mixture later this week and do it consistently for 2 months to compare my results. 

2) i have been keeping the CL treatment in for 3- 4 hours then rinse out and then apply my diluted KCKT and KCCC. i have not DC after that treatmentConfused i must have misunderstood that part and skipped it. i haven't gotten any adverse effects but i will add the DC going forward. 

3) i sleep with the bentonite clay mixture in my hair 1x a week. then on the 3rd day when i start the steps over i  go under a hooded dryer with a cap for 1 hour. i noticed my hair is flatter, smoother, and more receptive to the KC products. 

4) i plan to cut my hair in a few weeks to get rid of all the ssks and split ends

some observations i've noticed while doing the regimen so far:

1) my hair is shinier and darker
2) my edges are filling in
3) i see more coils forming at the roots
4) my hair without product still swells but it's much much better than what it looked like dry with no products before i started this regimen

questions i have:

1) i plan to wear my wig as my PS within a few weeks to grow back my hair. i don't want to cornrow my hair. pinke- i noticed that you twisted and pinned your hair after the steps. do you think that would work if i were to do that and ghe for 3 days and then restart the steps or should i retwist every night to re moisturize since its under a wig?

2) i currently use soultanicals curl detox as my 3rd step and i noticed that there is aloe juice. i love how my hair feels afterwards but i know it was mentioned aloe juice in clays are a no-no. is the ingredient list mhm friendly?

SCALP PURIFYING BOTANICAL INGREDIENTS (NEW FORMULA): 
Organic Aloe Juice Infused with 
Burdock Root, Dandelion Root, Sea Kelp, Oatstraw, Nettle, Red Clover, Thyme, Bentonite Clay, Blackstrap Molasses, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Bentonite, Potassium Sorbate, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Citric Acid, Essential Oil Blend of Peppermint, Lavender, Geranium, Lemon and an extra dose of soulistic flava & LOVE!

Edited by iheartsmimi - Jul 16 2014 at 10:11am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

Just checking in with my transition to Maximum Hydration.
I started on Monday of last week July 7th and I was not able to do the 7 day challenge due to time restraints, but I will give a run through of the products and what I did each day.

Monday July 7th - I did the Cherry Lola treatment & I DC'd overnight
Tuesday July 8th - I finished all the steps.
Wednesday July 9th - I finished all the steps.
Thursday July 10th - I'm not sure what happened here. I can't remember.
Friday July 11th - I only used conditioner
Saturday 12th - I didn't have time.
Sunday 13th - I didn't have time.

Today, Monday July 14th - Starting the full routine again, and I'm hoping this week goes a lot better!

The products I used are the Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume & The approved Giovanni Gel.
I bought one bottle of TREsemme conditioner since it was the last one, and two things of gel.
This gel was okay. I'd like to try the other approved gels besides the Kinky Curly one, for that one was way out my money's comfort zone. 

I do really like this conditioner! It's so thick, and the idea to water it down is phenomenal! 

I haven't really noticed much difference in my hair, other than it being able to be detangled much easier. 
I'm going to continue this method, and check back in.

I snapped a few pics as I could, and I'll upload when I can!

Oh, one other thing I do want to add. It seemed I needed a lot of gel to define my hair, and seeing how there's only about 8 ounces in the bottle I am almost out of the first one. So, I preferred the conditioner only as a leave-in product.

Hopefully, I'll have time to attempt to make my own flax seed gel to see how I like that.
Thanks for the updates, ambercolour. Glad you liked the watering down option,Big smile it's an excellent way to conserve conditioner, plus it makes it so it is easier to spread. I'm looking forward to your progress pics. As for use of gel, you will find that improves as your hair gets more hydrated you will not need to use so much. Your hair will already clump after you apply conditioner so the gel will serve simply to seal and protect your strands.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:34pm

[/QUOTE]
Originally posted by ysadoralacquers ysadoralacquers wrote:

I didn’t mean to imply that MHM didn’t work.  I was just venting because the process was so tedious for me. Embarrassed I have seen progress, I'm just impatient.  I guess I’m used to using oils so my hair seemed very dry and the shrinkage annoyed me.  I have always had that problem.  My hair is very low porosity and dense so I know it may take a while.  My hair is still very light and has little weight to it so I am not retaining a lot of moisture. I have noticed that I have a lot more sheen and my coils are softer and more uniform.  I have been towel drying my hair after the mask so I will stop.  I tried splitting up the process but I couldn’t sleep well with the plastic and wet hair and my scalp itched like crazy.

That's okay ysadoralacquers, I understood what you meant. As for GHE you can try to oil your scalp that might help. Some people however just have scalps that do not like GHE.  Thanks for sharing your progress and your pictures, your hair is looking great just keep it up and you will find all this is worth it and you will be able to relax your regimen once you reach max hydration.

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 16 2014 at 2:34pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Christine UK Christine UK wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

MsDeekay.  Sorry, I couldn’t post anything else after I did the clay mask, but  this was the message I was supposed to send:

Thx MsDeekay. I'm just doing the clay step now (I was interrupted before when I was just about to start). I'm using heat so I'll report back afterwards.

UPDATE:

Using heat with the clay step seemed to work well. My hair didn’t feel stripped and it felt surprisingly soft afterwards. I was able to detangle easily using a comb and no other product.  I know you’re not supposed to with MHM but curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now. Plus I’ve had setbacks due to neglecting my hair recently plus the issue caused JBCO – lots of tangling, shedding and fusing – so I want to make sure I get rid of all of that before I rely on finger detangling alone.

Anyhoo, here’s the recipe I used which is based on Pinke’s:

- Over 50mls of Rhassoul

- 250 mls of purified water (unheated)

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

- 1 tablespoon of honey

- 3-5 drops  Argan Oil

- 3-5  Jojoba Oil

Thanks for the update loves2laugh hope you get rid of all your issues soon enough. I just wanted to add my own personal view about the whole curl definition thing in relation to MHM. I'm saying this here because I know there are a lot of lurkers out there who are confusing the goals of this regimen. Most people think that the whole purpose of this regimen is to get type 4 hair to pop, like other hair types. That we are so obsessed with having curl definition. Curl definition is great and all and I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with wanting to see your own natural texture.

But most importantly IMO the regimen helps build moisture levels which in return results in us being able to see our natural curl/coil pattern. Therefore the curl/coil pattern is a benefit/perk of having hydrated healthy hair.

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that Frizz is a curl waiting to happen, that really resonated with me. My end goal with this regimen is to achieve healthy, hydrated hair and as a result I know I will be able to see my hair's true texture when properly moisturized. In this condition I will have more versatility with my hair.

We have seen our hair in a dehydrated state for so long that we are conditioned to think that there is no other conditions or states of our hair. That that is the only way. I know it will take a while for people to wrap their heads around this concept but I hope more people will look closely into the regimen and the explanations and really try to understand it rather than passing it off as a quick way to get curl definition. Because it is really deeper than that. It is about healthy hair, moisturized hair. Healthy hair = Good hair.

Sorry for the long message, this is not particularly directed to you loves2laugh I just wanted to clarify this for anyone else lurking and who doesnt understand what we are trying to achieve with this regimen.

ITA. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want curl definition because I do. However, I’m quite laid back about it, esp compared to how I was before, because I now believe the curls will come with improved hair health (max hydration) and good hair practices. That’s why achieving curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now, but achieving  a decrease in shedding, and tangling - and achieving  softness through moisturisation are. After all, what’s the point of having perfectly max hydrated curls that blow in the wind if you only have 3 hairs on your head?! LOL

LOL It's good that you got those left over sheds out. It's actually something I recommended to people starting. Take one day to really detangle your hair and get rid of sheds, and then all you have to do is maintain that and it will get easier. Try not to wear your hair loose under GHE, don't stretch the style to long before washing it out and getting out shed hairs.

@Pinke
@MsDee Kay

I'm liking the sound of using heat during the clay step.  What do you think about it?  Dry heat with a shower cap or loose hair with steam(assuming this would be messy!). 

Hi Christine UK I would recommend dry heat and shower cap. You can try steam but that sounds inconvenient and messy.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 155156157158159 289>
  Share Topic