Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 276>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:50am

Come to think of it, although I think I’ve always been protein sensitive the fusing only began after I became natural. My normal tangles don’t feel like dreadlocks.

Also, when m y hair is tangled or shedding a lot, or even had dirt balls in it like before I was able to use my fingers to work everything out. And then when I discovered detangling with EVOO or conditioner it got much easier. However, there’s no way for me to get rid of the fusing without ripping it apart. I’d just have to cut it out. On the wash day before the last one it took me three, yes THREE hours detangle and remove shed hair using my fingers and  wide tooth comb and I lost loads of hair. Thankfully the last time was much better.

The sound of my hair tearing apart reminds me of when I got a weave from a seller which tangled really badly. I washed & DC’ed it, then couldn’t get a comb through it and tried to tear it apart. I assumed the cuticles were not aligned which caused the matting and tearing sound.  I kind of wonder if the fusing problem has anything do to with my cuticles but I’ve no idea how.

I will try the KCKT to detangle it if it happens again, but I’m hoping I won’t have to!

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Jul 12 2014 at 1:40am
Sponsored Links

Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:53am
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

MsDeekay.  Sorry, I couldn’t post anything else after I did the clay mask, but  this was the message I was supposed to send:

Thx MsDeekay. I'm just doing the clay step now (I was interrupted before when I was just about to start). I'm using heat so I'll report back afterwards.

UPDATE:

Using heat with the clay step seemed to work well. My hair didn’t feel stripped and it felt surprisingly soft afterwards. I was able to detangle easily using a comb and no other product.  I know you’re not supposed to with MHM but curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now. Plus I’ve had setbacks due to neglecting my hair recently plus the issue caused JBCO – lots of tangling, shedding and fusing – so I want to make sure I get rid of all of that before I rely on finger detangling alone.

Anyhoo, here’s the recipe I used which is based on Pinke’s:

- Over 50mls of Rhassoul

- 250 mls of purified water (unheated)

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

- 1 tablespoon of honey

- 3-5 drops  Argan Oil

- 3-5  Jojoba Oil

Thanks for the update loves2laugh hope you get rid of all your issues soon enough. I just wanted to add my own personal view about the whole curl definition thing in relation to MHM. I'm saying this here because I know there are a lot of lurkers out there who are confusing the goals of this regimen. Most people think that the whole purpose of this regimen is to get type 4 hair to pop, like other hair types. That we are so obsessed with having curl definition. Curl definition is great and all and I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with wanting to see your own natural texture.

But most importantly IMO the regimen helps build moisture levels which in return results in us being able to see our natural curl/coil pattern. Therefore the curl/coil pattern is a benefit/perk of having hydrated healthy hair.

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that Frizz is a curl waiting to happen, that really resonated with me. My end goal with this regimen is to achieve healthy, hydrated hair and as a result I know I will be able to see my hair's true texture when properly moisturized. In this condition I will have more versatility with my hair.

We have seen our hair in a dehydrated state for so long that we are conditioned to think that there is no other conditions or states of our hair. That that is the only way. I know it will take a while for people to wrap their heads around this concept but I hope more people will look closely into the regimen and the explanations and really try to understand it rather than passing it off as a quick way to get curl definition. Because it is really deeper than that. It is about healthy hair, moisturized hair. Healthy hair = Good hair.

Sorry for the long message, this is not particularly directed to you loves2laugh I just wanted to clarify this for anyone else lurking and who doesnt understand what we are trying to achieve with this regimen.

ITA. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want curl definition because I do. However, I’m quite laid back about it, esp compared to how I was before, because I now believe the curls will come with improved hair health (max hydration) and good hair practices. That’s why achieving curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now, but achieving  a decrease in shedding, and tangling - and achieving  softness through moisturisation are. After all, what’s the point of having perfectly max hydrated curls that blow in the wind if you only have 3 hairs on your head?! LOL

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Jul 12 2014 at 12:59am
ElsieJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElsieJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:55am
Hi, I'm interested in trying out this method but I have a few questions:

1. I was just wondering why I can't use a shampoo with approved ingredients for the 1st clarifying step (e.g. pure curls clarifying shampoo, kinky curly etc). I ask this because to my understanding the 1st step is not necessarily to lift the cuticles since it involves use of either baking soda or ACV. Has anyone else tried shampoo for step 1 and still had good results?

2. I am planning on a few trips abroad soon and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations as to how to maintain this method for frequent travellers.

3. Do I have to do the ghe with step 2/deep conditioning when starting out or can I use options 2 or 3? Has anyone had success not doing ghe initially, just using options 2 and 3?

4. If this method can be used for locs why can't it be used in braided hair (no extensions)? 

5. Is it possible to incorporate henna treatments into mhm? If so, how? If not, why not?

I have looked for answers to these questions and not found them but this is a long thread.. so apologies if these questions have been answered previously.

Thanks Smile

Edited by ElsieJay - Jul 11 2014 at 7:48am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Christine UK Christine UK wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

@ Pinke So I got my KCKT on Saturday and my Camille Rose was delivered too - Woohoo! I'll be using both products at my next wash on Wed or Thu.

How soon afteryou finish the last step (applying gel) do you need to wait before braiding, twisting etc. Should I wait until my hair's dry? In this case I'll be braiding my hair to go under a wig, but would it be the same  amount of time if I were to do bantu knots or a twist out?

Also, have you ever had any experience of your hair 'fusing' together if you use protein, coconut oil, castor oil etc? I get it from all three but I'd like to continue using JBCO as it seems to help with growth. What can I do to counteract this effect?

TIA
Great! So just like you style your hair normally. What I do, is right after the clay is rinsed out and I apply a bit of conditioner all over my head:

I split my hair into about 7 rows, starting from my nape and roll and clip the sections, leaving the row I'm working on first loose.

Then I apply the leave in on the enitire row, gel on the entire row, then split the row into the section I am ready to twist and twist.

So you would do this on wet hair, it is fine. What do you mean by "fusing together"? I do not recommend coconut oil or protein. Castor oil should be fine. I usually layer castor under a bit of olive oil. I have had no issues using it that way with mhm.

Pinke, just a little confused with oil bit.  Are you using the castor first then putting olive over it?  I would have thought the olive would have been applied before the castor, being as the castor is heavier and more sealing.  Could you explain the reason? I'm assuming this is just beforeadding the gel.  Is there a video showing anyone using oils correctly?  
Sorry, that was a typo, i layer olive oil under castor oil.
kaforres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaforres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:49am
@aharri23, I remember you saying awhile back that the green tea curl glaze made your hair hard/crunchy.  Do you have any advice on how to use it without making you hair crunchy?  Did you water it down, if so what were your measurements.  Today will be day 4 doing the MHM and I don't want hard/crunchy hair.  I would like to have @pinkecube results, soft and flowing. Thanks for the help!
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by ElsieJay ElsieJay wrote:

Hi, I'm interested in trying out this method but I have a few questions:
1. I was just wondering why I can't use a shampoo with approved ingredients for the 1st clarifying step (e.g. pure curls clarifying shampoo, kinky curly etc). I ask this because to my understanding the 1st step is not necessarily to lift the cuticles since it involves use of either baking soda or ACV. Has anyone else tried shampoo for step 1 and still had good results?

2. I am planning on a few trips abroad soon and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations as to how to maintain this method for frequent travellers.

3. Do I have to do the ghe with step 2/deep conditioning when starting out or can I use options 2 or 3? Has anyone had success not doing ghe initially, just using options 2 and 3?

4. If this method can be used for locs why can't it be used in braided hair (no extensions)? 

5. Is it possible to incorporate henna treatments into mhm? If so, how? If not, why not?

I have looked for answers to these questions and not found them but this is a long thread.. so apologies if these questions have been answered previously.

Thanks Smile

Hi ElsieJay, welcome to MHMSmile
1. I highly recommend the bakingsoda step for those with low porosity hair for the best results. Many of us benefit from the cuticle lifting effect before DC. you could use a shampoo, the only concern would be it may be too stripping with the clay step. You would also not be able to do version 2 of the regimen if you chose that option. That would be too stripping side by side, especially with you just starting out. Plus there would be no DC so you would have not enough cuticle lifting. The shampoo you will have to experiment with and compare yourself.

3. Version 2 of the regimen omits DCing. I do not recommend if for everyone just starting out, but depending on your hair, you may like it. page 127. There are also options to steam instead.

4. You can do the method on locs because with locs you won't be expecting to get max hydration. Many of the techniques used in this method ppl with locs already use to clean their hair.  But they wouldn't be expecting their hair to get total hydration, it is simply not going to be the same effect.

Doing MHM on braids is not going to work. you can try, but when you put your hair in braids you seal your hair. Even if you wash your braids they are not going to get properly clarified. the techniques are not going to be as effective if your hair is not loose every clarifying session.

So no one should be expecting to do the regimen on braids and then when they take it out start having root to tip definition. You'd pretty much be wasting product and time, when you could just wait to take your hair loose. It will help a little, but it will not be the same. You can use MHM techniques to help get rid of some build up and clean your scalp, but that's about it.

Locs are different, because the person is not expecting to take out their locs and have root to tip definition. They are likely never going to take out their locs. this is just going to help their locs feel a bit more moisturized and offer good loc clarifying techniques.

5. I dont recommend use of henna with this method or plant proteins strong protein treatments if you are low porosity or type 4. Proteins like henna tend to work against moisture absorption because they a just the right size to absorb into the hair for long periods of time and block the cuticle. That works againt you. Bentonite clay will do well enough in strengthening the hair. you can also do a cherry lola treatment. (page 72)

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 11 2014 at 12:23pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Christine UK Christine UK wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

Yesterday I started the beginning of the MHM with a Cherry Lola treatment (I know my hair would have benefited more from the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment, but I needed to start yesterday night on Monday) and an overnight GHE with conditioner, so today I am Clay rinsing after I rinsed out the conditioner.

I'm not liking how my hair feels with the clay rinse (It feels super dryOuch), but I used the mixture without ACV because I was unsure if I should use ACV after the Cherry Lola treatment. 
Hi AmberColour, yay you started the method! SmileYeah, use the mixture with out acv. btw after the clay rinse you can immediately put conditioner on your soaking wet hair and let water run over it. Once you do that, your hair will soak it right up.

Pinke, when I think I have everything locked, I read something that changes the game a little and I always have to try to see how it affects my hair lol!  From what you said above:  put conditioner on your soaking wet hair and let water run over it. 

" Are we talking about normal conditioner, and then applying LI after?  Or are we running water over the LI?  Just wanting clarificationBig smile  
Hi christine uk that's up to you. I water mine down but make it slightly thicker than normal. As the water runs use ur fingers to help it spread as well.
curlymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote curlymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:58pm
Hey Pinke - you may have missed my previous post looks like it got lost in the mass of replies :)
Appreciate your thoughts!
curlymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 1:01pm
Hi Christine UK! I'm also in the UK with a similar name ;)
I'm planning on starting tomorrow and did my first henna treatment last weekend so I guess we'll both have something to compare to. The henna seemed to strengthen my hair but it has been dry all week even after following with a moisture treatment.

It didn't occur to me but it's definitely true that conditioner only lasts a number of days.

Do you plan on doing the method daily to start?
ElsieJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElsieJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 1:37pm
Hello pinkecube, thanks for such a detailed response SmileClap

I have taken on board your comments and just wanted to find out if you have any alternative suggestions for those of us who use henna to colour our hair. Also, any recommendations for those of us who travel a lot? I'm just thinking how strict airport security is now etc.

Thanks
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style