Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 292>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by DesiBbUK DesiBbUK wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I've been following this thread for a month now and this is my 3rd week in to the Max Hydration method. I've already left comments on the Facebook group, but words cannot express how deeply grateful I am to Pinkecube for sharing this method with us, patiently answering every post with care and attention while educating us on hair and the best products for it.

On the first cycle of steps I noticed my hair was soft when wet immediately after the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment. Amazeballs!!!! That's never happened before! I used Curl Ecstasy initially but when my 2 hard to find in the UK bottles of Kinky Curly Knot Today arrived from Amazon my results were different. I think KCKT makes my roots more frizzy. However I've now finished my 1st bottle and will go back to Curl Ecstasy until I finish that bottle and can keep you posted on that.

Due to my own sheer laziness I didn't do the initial 7 cycles consecutively but I'm doing it this week.

I definitely have more moisture, curls from root to the tip in some places and when my hair is wet and I shake my head it moves! Yay! I'm getting there.

However, I think I had a setback on Tuesday. I used an old bottle of Bentonite clay for my clay mixture (It expired in 2012) and left the mixture out of the fridge. The smell changed but I still used it in my hair as I didn't want to waste it (some products here are almost double the US going rate). Today my hair isn't just dry, but it's crispy and I've lost definition in my curls on the left side of my head. 

Apart from not using Kinky Curly Curling Custard, how I made the clay mixture is the only thing I did differently from last week (I've done my hair without gel before and it was softer and sprung back). I'll use fresh new clay tomorrow.

I'm also trying out the new Baking Soda mixture (w/o conditioner). I'll feedback on whether my hair responds well to it in a few days.

My hair is chin length but has a lot of shrinkage. So in the mornings if I'm not doing the cycles and instead of fluffing my smooshed hair with water, I use my household steamer (very carefully) and then use my hands to pick out sections of my hair to reshape my 'fro. The coils happily reappear and are thankful for the warm/hot moisture. And on sunny days, my hair dries in a couple of hours instead of the usual 6 hours when it's totally saturated.

At times I also run a little moisturiser over the ends which probably only makes sense if my hair has no gel in it.

I'm rambling but I'm so excited!!! After I saw that video parody about 4Cs can't wash n go I resigned myself to continuing my twist outs for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I found this. And thanks too to the sister who told me about MHM via a FB networking group.

While I'm waiting for Pinkecube's products to come on the market, I'd really like to make my own conditioner and I'm looking for recipes with similar ingredients to KCKT. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do and I'll share my results. I'm starting to make products at home such as air freshener and lotion bars to replace my chemical laden products.

Again, thanks to Pinkecube and everyone else for your great questions, especially MsDeeKay for your responses and great videos and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with the group.

You're welcome DesiBbUk, I'm so happy that your hair is progressing well. I saw your message on FB and I had to share it on my instagram because it was so touching and I thought it was necessary for more people to see it. A lot of type 4 naturals have lost hope and if we can get more of them to know that there is an option then it's all worth it.

It's ironic that the parody video led you to resort to twist outs for the rest of your life and that same video is what pushed Pinke to post about MHM here on the forum. 

This is the only problem I have with the natural hair community, while we have made so much stride into getting a lot of us to return to natural. We still have a way to go to making sure all of us especially those with type 4 hair are not struggling with their hair. A lot of type 4 naturals are struggling and feel isolated right now and the information that is out there on various platforms is really not helping. It is very discouraging to a lot of new and old naturals. I think this segment of the community is the most lacking in term of hair education and products that work for our hair.

Therefore I get so excited when I hear that you ladies are experimenting with creating products because I know you will take MHM into consideration and possibly in the future we will have a lot more options when it comes to to MHM approved products for our type of hair. We will finally have products that work for our hair type, created by us. So I wish you all success in this endeavor and when any of you decided to bring the products to the market I will be willing to promote them in any way that I can.

Thanks so much for sharing your progress so far. Looking forward to hearing how curls ecstasy worked for you and thanks for sharing the steamer trickBig smile

Do keep us updated, looking forward to hearing your future progress.

Hi DesiBbUK, great to hear from you on the forum! Yes, I saw your facebook message, I shared it on the new MHM facebook page and instagram. ClapThanks so much for sharing your wonderful testimony, that message is going to inspire a lot more people.

I really feel this regimen is going to kill the "good hair" paradigm permanently. Yes, like Dee said I've seen that "Wash and Go's Don't work for nappy hair" video and made a post about it. It was something that had been hanging over my head for awhile and i knew it was wrong and discouraging many type 4 "nappy haired" naturals. So when I stared my research about moisture it was the first video I thought of.

So many people watched it, and so many people think of their hair in a negative light. You know that same youtuber went back to relaxers-- she made it seem like her Dermatologist told her she had to, but it's been revealed she lied about that and did it because she just was not feeling her hair texture. I heard she is now transitioning back to natural. 

These are the type of people representing type 4c hair currently, and it reflects the mindsets we have about our hair and how little we really know. But now that is going to change, 4c hair is going to be "good hair", and people spreading this "4c hair doesn't curl" misinfo will have to embrace the truth or shove it, because what they've been doing right now hasn't been helping.

Thank you so much for the support, and thanks for sharing your experience with the regimen. I feel your excitement and I'm happy to have you onboard with MHM, it only gets better from here. Big smile

Edited by pinkecube - Jul 10 2014 at 1:02pm
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by kaforres kaforres wrote:

Thanks msdeekey! I put on the leave in small sections and spray it with water, I also used danabnatural method to squeeze the excess conditioner out.  I am about to do steps 4 & 5 now. I will let you know how it turns out today which is day 3 for me.  Also I noticed that my hair is getting more shrinkage now than the first day.  I had to go out and run some errands yesterday and I had random people stop me and tell me how much they LOVE my hair Big smile. It makes me feel better about it because this is my first time doing wash and go's and I'm not really use to the look, so I really don't care for it, but I think that I need to just get use to it.  My husband hasn't said anything negative about my wash n go's either so I guess thats a first, he usually the first person to let me know that he doesn't like a specific hair styleBig smile.  Thanks you pinkecube for introducing the method again and thank you msdeekey for your thorough tutorial and information on your blog and YoutubeClap!
You're welcome, Kaforres, that's great to hear about the positive feedback you are getting about your hair as well.Smile Your hair looks beautiful, so it's bound to get positive attention. Thanks for the updates!
krauseschoenheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote krauseschoenheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:28pm
hI curlies,
 I have a question  . has anyone experienced itchy scalp?  Is there a problem to skip the clay step? I feel like the hair will not be completely clean.... what do you think?  <my scalp is itchy >Today is thursday. I did the full regimen yesterday and then twisted my hair and went to bed with wet hair. Today my hair and scalp was feeling really dry. since I bought the kckt I clarfied with ACV(30 min) and warm water in order to help the conditioner directly  penetrate the strands and rinse out the gel from last night. then I applied the kckt and gel to seal in the moisture. but right now about 20 hours later my scalp is itching every where. I know I have to wash my hair again, because I am seeing build up at some places. and I am also happy to do it because I have pretty much all MHM friendly products yet. But hey has anyone experienced itchy scalp?  Is there a problem to skip the clay step? I feel like the hair will not be completely clean.... what do you think? 

My order question is for the curlies who use bentonite clay is it the same as kaolin or white clay? I cannot find the bentonite clay in the local stores
kaforres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaforres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:53pm
[/QUOTE]You're welcome, Kaforres, that's great to hear about the positive feedback you are getting about your hair as well.Smile Your hair looks beautiful, so it's bound to get positive attention. Thanks for the updates!
[/QUOTE]@pinkecube! Thank you! I can't wait for day 7 so I can send you the updated pics.  Also, would it be okay if i do the MHM everyday for the rest of this month? Oh and as far as steps 4 & 5, I don't have any white residue that I can see as of now, my hair is still wet though...  I really water down the KCKT and I did not use as much green tea curl glaze so my hair doesn't feel as crunchy, but I didn't put enough gel on my hair that if felt slippery because I think that gel make my hair crunchy when I do that.  Would you recommend watering the gel down? If so how much gel should I put with what amount of water?  If anyone has any advice please let me know. Is there anyone else using the green tea curl glaze?  I have so KCCC, but I have had it for 2 years and I don't know if it is still any good, it was never opened..
kaforres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kaforres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by krauseschoenheit krauseschoenheit wrote:

hI curlies,
 I have a question  . has anyone experienced itchy scalp?  Is there a problem to skip the clay step? I feel like the hair will not be completely clean.... what do you think?  <my scalp is itchy >Today is thursday. I did the full regimen yesterday and then twisted my hair and went to bed with wet hair. Today my hair and scalp was feeling really dry. since I bought the kckt I clarfied with ACV(30 min) and warm water in order to help the conditioner directly  penetrate the strands and rinse out the gel from last night. then I applied the kckt and gel to seal in the moisture. but right now about 20 hours later my scalp is itching every where. I know I have to wash my hair again, because I am seeing build up at some places. and I am also happy to do it because I have pretty much all MHM friendly products yet. But hey has anyone experienced itchy scalp?  Is there a problem to skip the clay step? I feel like the hair will not be completely clean.... what do you think? 

My order question is for the curlies who use bentonite clay is it the same as kaolin or white clay? I cannot find the bentonite clay in the local stores
I'm not sure about the clay question, but I do know some people had itchy scalp from doing the GHE treament overnight.  Sorry I am not much help... I'm sure others will be able to answer your question.
krauseschoenheit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krauseschoenheit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by kaforres kaforres wrote:

Originally posted by krauseschoenheit krauseschoenheit wrote:

hI curlies,

I'm not sure about the clay question, but I do know some people had itchy scalp from doing the GHE treament overnight.  Sorry I am not much help... I'm sure others will be able to answer your question.

Hi kaforres 
No problem I feel better, to hear that I am not alone here, and also with that issue...
curlymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:40pm
Hullo! I just learnt about this method and stoked to try it out. I have a couple questions before I start...

1. what is the significance of washing your hair in the shower? I usually wash my hair in my sink under a tap so I don't come out with wrinkly skin from being in the shower too long (or ripping out my hair from being impatient). I know the method emphasises having soaking wet hair but I can still achieve this with a faucet right?

2. Can I add oils to my flaxseed gel or is it best I just use it on it's own?

3. If you have super dry ends would you recommend cutting them off? They aren't split or damaged just very difficult to deal with and is where most of my tangles originate.

4. Theres no mention of combs - is finger detangling recommended instead of combs?

thanks!
Christine UK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 3:10am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

@ Pinke So I got my KCKT on Saturday and my Camille Rose was delivered too - Woohoo! I'll be using both products at my next wash on Wed or Thu.

How soon afteryou finish the last step (applying gel) do you need to wait before braiding, twisting etc. Should I wait until my hair's dry? In this case I'll be braiding my hair to go under a wig, but would it be the same  amount of time if I were to do bantu knots or a twist out?

Also, have you ever had any experience of your hair 'fusing' together if you use protein, coconut oil, castor oil etc? I get it from all three but I'd like to continue using JBCO as it seems to help with growth. What can I do to counteract this effect?

TIA
Great! So just like you style your hair normally. What I do, is right after the clay is rinsed out and I apply a bit of conditioner all over my head:

I split my hair into about 7 rows, starting from my nape and roll and clip the sections, leaving the row I'm working on first loose.

Then I apply the leave in on the enitire row, gel on the entire row, then split the row into the section I am ready to twist and twist.

So you would do this on wet hair, it is fine. What do you mean by "fusing together"? I do not recommend coconut oil or protein. Castor oil should be fine. I usually layer castor under a bit of olive oil. I have had no issues using it that way with mhm.

Pinke, just a little confused with oil bit.  Are you using the castor first then putting olive over it?  I would have thought the olive would have been applied before the castor, being as the castor is heavier and more sealing.  Could you explain the reason? I'm assuming this is just beforeadding the gel.  Is there a video showing anyone using oils correctly?  
Christine UK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 3:31am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

Yesterday I started the beginning of the MHM with a Cherry Lola treatment (I know my hair would have benefited more from the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment, but I needed to start yesterday night on Monday) and an overnight GHE with conditioner, so today I am Clay rinsing after I rinsed out the conditioner.

I'm not liking how my hair feels with the clay rinse (It feels super dryOuch), but I used the mixture without ACV because I was unsure if I should use ACV after the Cherry Lola treatment. 
Hi AmberColour, yay you started the method! SmileYeah, use the mixture with out acv. btw after the clay rinse you can immediately put conditioner on your soaking wet hair and let water run over it. Once you do that, your hair will soak it right up.

Pinke, when I think I have everything locked, I read something that changes the game a little and I always have to try to see how it affects my hair lol!  From what you said above:  put conditioner on your soaking wet hair and let water run over it. 

" Are we talking about normal conditioner, and then applying LI after?  Or are we running water over the LI?  Just wanting clarificationBig smile  
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:47am
Pinke, I’ve had lots of different issues with tangling and shedding, but nothing has been has bad as when I used protein and castor oil – it’s completely different. I used to get the “dreadlock effect” when I had plaits and weaves and wasn’t taking care of my hair and I’d get matted dirt or dirtballs (sorry, I know that’s disgusting) that I could usually remove.

The fusing takes place whether I’m taking care of my hair or not. For example, last summer I was co-washing and DC’ing my hair once a week and finger detangling with conditioner. Shedding  and breakage was minimal, as were tangles and I was getting amazing shine and waves (this was the time I started to get confused about my hair type). 

However, I tried EVCO, coconut oil with Amla and Sunny Isle Pimento Oil with JBCO at different stages during the summer. They all made my hair hard, my coils shrink and my hair ashy and wiry.

I stopped the first two quite quickly but I persisted with the Pimento w/ JBCO, because although my hair was in “good” condition I wasn’t seeing any growth. However, my hair got harder and started to fuse even though I was DCing and detangling weekly. It got to the point where it was taking around two hours to take out approximately six plaits – and remember, this was with hardly any shedding, breakage or tangling.

So although neglecting my hair made it worse, the issue would’ve been there even if I was taking care of it. I must be a rare case as the only other time I’ve heard of this was on the UBH website when someone asked if using the UBH protein conditioner would cause her hair to fuse / bond to her extensions.  I can’t remember how she phrased it exactly so I’ll try and find it and post a link.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 292>
  Share Topic