Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 10:55am
Originally posted by juan_mos juan_mos wrote:

QUESTION PINKE or any admin: 
For the DC step of MHM I use my steamer for about 25-30 min b/c me and GHE don't get along. What if I use the steamer for like 10 min to refresh my 2nd & 3rd day mushed bedhead (instead of re-wetting in the shower as I have been doing)? I know steaming is very good for the hair but I've read too much steaming can be detrimental so even though I think this could be very helpful for my 4C low-po colored- treated hair, I don't want any setbacks towards #MH. Would just a 10 min refresh to revive my smushed TWA possibly be too much? NOTE: I redo MHM every 2nd or 3rd day (w/min 25 of steam during DC).
Hi Juan_mos, yes that is fine. You may find it doesn't even take up to 10 minutes with a steamer. You'll be pleased with how soft your hair feels. I've done the same, dry GHE at night, and my hair felt soft like a marshmellow.
Sponsored Links

DominicanMorenita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DominicanMorenita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:14am
Hi there! Smile... Do I have to keep the clay mix in the refrigerator? Thanks!

Edited by DominicanMorenita - Jul 10 2014 at 11:16am
juan_mos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juan_mos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:22am
Originally posted by DominicanMorenita DominicanMorenita wrote:

Nope! Just make sure you have it stored tightly Wink
juan_mos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote juan_mos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:24am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

QUESTION PINKE or any admin: 
For the DC step of MHM I use my steamer for about 25-30 min b/c me and GHE don't get along. What if I use the steamer for like 10 min to refresh my 2nd & 3rd day mushed bedhead (instead of re-wetting in the shower as I have been doing)? I know steaming is very good for the hair but I've read too much steaming can be detrimental so even though I think this could be very helpful for my 4C low-po colored- treated hair, I don't want any setbacks towards #MH. Would just a 10 min refresh to revive my smushed TWA possibly be too much? NOTE: I redo MHM every 2nd or 3rd day (w/min 25 of steam during DC).
Hi Juan_mos, yes that is fine. You may find it doesn't even take up to 10 minutes with a steamer. You'll be pleased with how soft your hair feels. I've done the same, dry GHE at night, and my hair felt soft like a marshmellow.

Thanks!  I'm about to steam my bedhead right now then. I wanted to see what you thought first. I've come to depend on the knowledge in this forum greatly during this journey to #MH. Can I just say the support rocks!!
StarClapBig smile
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Kurly Kizzie Kurly Kizzie wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by Kurly Kizzie Kurly Kizzie wrote:

@PinkeCube

Should I make sure my hair is still SOAKING wet when I apply the DC?
Yes. respritz sections with water if they start to dry while you are applying.

Thanks for your quick responses!!!! This method is going to be a staple for sooooooo many women, just watch the magnitude your method is going to have when it comes into FULL fruition for you. ClapClapClap

I know this is "advertised" ( I say that loosely, for lack of a better word) for type 4 hair, but I am here to tell you this is a Lo Po Holy Grail Method, whatever your curl type!!!! I'm just saying....
I'm sitting with my DC in right now 3rd time and I am not sure if the 4A hair I thought I had is actually 4A I am starting to see what those curls WILL look like and they are starting to look like the rest of my 3C hair. I guess we will see. Giiiirrrrrllllll, YOU DID THIS ONE!!!!!!!! I promise, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS HAS DONE FOR ME ALREADY!!!!!!!CryCry And I am sooooooo serious!!! I was so frustrated Pinke, felt bad about my hair, like all kinds of emotions just because of my HAIR! 
I'm not there yet but I know it's coming..... Deferred Gratification. To me, this method is a blessing, I literally prayed about my hair and he answered with you. For that I am forever grateful!!!!!!!
I'm going to post pics after my 5-7 times after doing this method, Just so the other ladies who may have heard about it and still on the fence will KNOW and SEE how QUICKLY your hair can start to flourish. I think it's going to surprise some, cuz it sure as heck has surprised the crap outta me and I am just now doing my 3rd session, as I type. You have been a blessing to me and I am going to tell everybody I KNOW about this method!!!!!!!!

Good NIght

You're welcome Kurly KizzieSmile Yes, this regimen is also focused on low porosity hair. I emphasize type 4 hair not as a way of exclusion, because this will work for all hair types, but to show it is possible. I have seen type 3's who don't get definition either, and that's all down to being low porosity. But I'm glad this regimen helped you, thank you for your kind words. It only gets better from here!

Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

Thx for getting back to me. By fusing, I mean that it’s like my hair has been glued or bonded together. I noticed that when I use certain products I literally have to pull or tear my hair apart like the hairs are stuck to each other.  I guess like locs. I have to dig my fingers or comb into the hair and wiggle it around to make  holes then tear the hair apart bit by bit - and I can actually hear it tearing.

I only mentioned protein and coconut oil because it happens when I use those products too – and obviously that happens to other people as well. However, I haven’t heard of anyone yet who had this reaction to castor oil. I do think it might be something to do with protein sensitivity though, but I'm not sure how.

To clarify, I don’t want to use protein or coconut oil again (unless in v small amounts in another product ONLY IF they don’t cause any problems). However, as I want to continue using JBCO on my scalp as well as my hair, I wanted to know if you’d come across this ‘fusing’ problem before and if you had any advice.

TIA

Do you mean like getting tangles that seem like dreadlocks? Never tear your hair apart. As for hair trying to tangle into a dreadlock, yes, that has happened to me before. I've never associated with a particular product. It only happened if i was not properly detangling my hair and getting shed hairs out, and then tried to wet my hair. It happened a few times with my old wash and go. It is when you do not detangle your hair often enough or properly, and then wet your hair on top of it. Shrinkage + shed hair build up = tangles. You do not need to tear hair apart, and I do not think the products caused it, but that your hair was dry and not properly detangled at the time. Instead of tearing, just use kinky curly knot today and work it in the tangle so each strand is lubricated. You can even use flaxseed gel, something super slippery.

Can you use a comb to style your hair with MHM – not to detangle or get rid of shed hair. I was wondering if I could gently try to comb out the curls a little to get more of a curly afro effect and to make my hair look fuller. I have a wide-tooth, seamless, hand-made 'bone' comb BTW. Has any one ever tried this?   Or would it work if I used my fingers instead?

Also, when you apply conditioner after the clay step, do you rinse quickly afterwards, or do you let it sit or DC with if first?

Thx
Yes, you can do that, be wary of breakage. It seems like it would be easier to just apply the leave in and sealant in a way that you will not get definition, just pull out and fluff out your hair after you have rinsed out the clay step, and as you apply the last few steps.

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Hi MsDeekay Smile Thx so much for posting the clay video - it was just in time for me as I'm about to do the clay step. Do you think I can use an electric conditioning cap with this step?

Hi Loves2Laugh, You're welcome, you know what, that is a great question. I know Pinke recommends it for step 1 and 2 so I'm not really sure about the clay step. I do know that there are people who do that. In general the heat should help lift the cuticles and allow your hair to get get more moisturized but I'm not sure how it would affect the clay step. You could experiment with and without to see how your hair will react and we will see what Pinke has to advice on that.Smile

Hey, guys. Gonna cut it. It is okay to use a heating cap during step 3. I don't recommend it during step 1. It may dry up the clarifier in your hair, and since gel is on your hair in that step, I don't recommend that. You can try it though, but I won't recommend it for step 1. Step 3 is okay, many ppl use clay that way.

Originally posted by jdenni12 jdenni12 wrote:

Pinke,i don't know if this has been asked before and I apologize if it has, however is it possible to use trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner as a leave in under kinky curly? I tested mixing them together and it doesn't seem as if they would react...Also my hair looks much better after it has been conditioned with trader joes than with kinky curly. Just wondering, would he awesome to save on product as well! ;D

Hi jdenni. You do not need to mix trader joes with kinky curly knot today to use it as a leave in. Just use trader joes, it is already an approved conditioner. You can water down trader joes as well to save money, as per page 72 instructions.

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:50am

MsDeekay.  Sorry, I couldn’t post anything else after I did the clay mask, but  this was the message I was supposed to send:

Thx MsDeekay. I'm just doing the clay step now (I was interrupted before when I was just about to start). I'm using heat so I'll report back afterwards.

UPDATE:

Using heat with the clay step seemed to work well. My hair didn’t feel stripped and it felt surprisingly soft afterwards. I was able to detangle easily using a comb and no other product.  I know you’re not supposed to with MHM but curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now. Plus I’ve had setbacks due to neglecting my hair recently plus the issue caused JBCO – lots of tangling, shedding and fusing – so I want to make sure I get rid of all of that before I rely on finger detangling alone.

Anyhoo, here’s the recipe I used which is based on Pinke’s:

- Over 50mls of Rhassoul

- 250 mls of purified water (unheated)

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

- 1 tablespoon of honey

- 3-5 drops  Argan Oil

- 3-5  Jojoba Oil

Thanks for the update loves2laugh hope you get rid of all your issues soon enough. I just wanted to add my own personal view about the whole curl definition thing in relation to MHM. I'm saying this here because I know there are a lot of lurkers out there who are confusing the goals of this regimen. Most people think that the whole purpose of this regimen is to get type 4 hair to pop, like other hair types. That we are so obsessed with having curl definition. Curl definition is great and all and I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with wanting to see your own natural texture.

But most importantly IMO the regimen helps build moisture levels which in return results in us being able to see our natural curl/coil pattern. Therefore the curl/coil pattern is a benefit/perk of having hydrated healthy hair.

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that Frizz is a curl waiting to happen, that really resonated with me. My end goal with this regimen is to achieve healthy, hydrated hair and as a result I know I will be able to see my hair's true texture when properly moisturized. In this condition I will have more versatility with my hair.

We have seen our hair in a dehydrated state for so long that we are conditioned to think that there is no other conditions or states of our hair. That that is the only way. I know it will take a while for people to wrap their heads around this concept but I hope more people will look closely into the regimen and the explanations and really try to understand it rather than passing it off as a quick way to get curl definition. Because it is really deeper than that. It is about healthy hair, moisturized hair. Healthy hair = Good hair.

Sorry for the long message, this is not particularly directed to you loves2laugh I just wanted to clarify this for anyone else lurking and who doesnt understand what we are trying to achieve with this regimen.
10000% cosign to that, Dee Clap
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:58am
Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

It's day 2.

I'm on the clay part right now, which is my least favorite part. Since my hair gets so dry. LOL.
And I've noticed with the clay application my hair doesn't seem to get coated like I'm seeing everyone else's hair when they do the clay rinse. I'm not really sure why that is... Unless it's a porosity issue or the fact that my hair is dyed.

My hair is definitely tangling less so far. I didn't clip my hair last night, so I just put it up in a scrunchy pineappling, but I'll probably section my hair tonight this time.

My favorite part is adding the conditioner since it's so soothing and my hair loves that part, and it detangles sooo easily! 

I'm trying to make sure I take pictures as I do this 7 day daily start, so hopefully I'll have a lot to share afterwards and more in the future.Smile

Thanks for the updates, Ambercolour, looking forward to your pics!

Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Is finger combing going to get easier?  I did big chop #2 Monday. I have 5-6 inches of hair. I have done the long version twice before (with a 5 day stretch between each time), but this is the first time I have done it without relaxed ends and with using the  the modified cherry lola treatment on the new growth. I detangled while cutting....but not again until I had conditioned overnight and still had conditioner in my hair.  I had to use my denman brush.....it was just too much...my ends seemed to have matted together. After detangling each section with my brush, raked my fingers through, and still met with resistance. Am I doing something wrong? Is finger detangling supposed to be so difficult? Is detangling with a comb or brush ever needed again?

Congrats on the Big Chop Nicks_hotmama! Yes, finger combing should be easier now, but it will take a while to get the technique. I highly recommend that you detangle under the shower, so that you have lubrication. Or add more conditioner to your hair while you detangle. Using a brush does not escape you from resistance, it just means you are tearing through your hair and causing unecessary breakage. Also, try not wear your hair loose while DCing overnight. There are some pics about that on page 72 of how I DC overnight.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:17pm

Originally posted by tyniagf1 tyniagf1 wrote:

Hi, I wanted to know if there is an co-wash method to this regimen? If not do you think that is even possible? TIA

Hi tyniagf1, not quite understanding your question can you please explain? Do you mean a version of the method in which we cowash only? 

If that is what you mean then, no there isn't because the whole reason this regimen came about is due to the fact that the Curly Girl Method did not have clarifying methods and most people were not able to attain optimum results from co-washing
alone. 

That is why the two steps: clarifying step 1 ACV/baking soda and Step 3 clay rinse, were introduced into the method. It was determined that these two steps are very important for the curly girl method to work on Type 4 coarser/kinkier hair which is either low porosity or high porosity.

Ok thanks msdeekay. I was just trying to find a shorter option for during the week at least and then I could do the full regimen on the weekends. I tried the shorter version option 2 but the results seems different and I wasn't able to have second day hair. Thanks for the response.

You're welcome, which option of the regimen are you doing now and how often are you doing it?

I am doing the originally longer version tried option 2 but I think my hair still needs the dc treatment. I do all the steps at night go to sleep with wet hair, I will wear it the next morning to work, Bonnet that night rewet and shake the next morning wear it that day and then do it again that night, so is that considered two days? I was actually wondering about that. Do I count it as three or two?

From my understanding, it counts as one COMPLETE time when you've finished ALL the steps in the regimen. For example. if you clarify, cowash/deep condish on Mon and finish with the clay, leave-in and gel on Tues.. that's one day. Tues was the day you completed the full regimen. I'm not sure about the alternate shorter Versions but I'm guessing the same thing would apply (when you finished ALL steps).

Cosign on everything msdeekay and juan_mos said. Let me add, I would not recommend that spacing out the regimen that much for those just starting. That would seem like something someone who already has max hydration would have no issues doing.

Just remember that your progress is going to be a bit slower if you space out the regimen, since you would only be officially doing it twice. However cowashing in the middle of the week, would help so at least your hair is not getting build up of shed hairs like it would just stretching the style the whole week. I would never just cowash though, I would do step 1 and cowash detangle, leave in and gel.
DominicanMorenita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DominicanMorenita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by DominicanMorenita DominicanMorenita wrote:

Nope! Just make sure you have it stored tightly Wink
thanks!
kaforres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kaforres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:58pm

[/QUOTE]
Thanks @pinkecube for uploading the pics! I have a question I'm having problems with white residue during step 4 & 5 when my hair dries. You can also see it when my hair is wet.  I have watered down the KCKT to the point it looks like water in the applicator bottle and I am still getting white residue.  Do you think it could be from the gel? Also, will it be okay if I do this routine everyday even after day 7 because I know once I start back school I am not going to be able to do this routine as much. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

I have noticed the white residue issue is something everyone starting the regimen has to deal with in the beginning. I think it has something to do with our hair still not being able to absorb the product as well and could also be the technique. I also had this issue and it took a lot of trial and error to get to the point where it is no longer an issue.

I posted a new technique that I've been doing that has helped me get better results with step 4 and 5 I'll paste it here again incase you missed it: It's a technique I started doing after I watched Danab's regimen video. Posted on page 123
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page123.html?KW=danabnaturals+regimen

On soaking wet hair, I apply the conditioner from root to tip.
If I see any white residue or foaming I slide it off.
Then  I spray the section down with water to make sure it's still soaking wet
Then I apply the gel to the super wet section.
Going in, in smaller sections also helps especially when you are still building moisture levels. As your hair gets more hydrated you will have the benefit of doing it in big sections.

Some of my hair is more hydrated than others so some areas I do big sections and it just starts clumping without the gels. For my super stubborn areas I section in really small sections and I have to apply the gel and really smooth and rake to get the clumping.

For good results in the leave in and gel part in my experience it has been a combination of practice and building moisture levels, the more you do it the better you get at it and the more hydrated your hair gets the better the results.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks msdeekey! I put on the leave in small sections and spray it with water, I also used danabnatural method to squeeze the excess conditioner out.  I am about to do steps 4 & 5 now. I will let you know how it turns out today which is day 3 for me.  Also I noticed that my hair is getting more shrinkage now than the first day.  I had to go out and run some errands yesterday and I had random people stop me and tell me how much they LOVE my hair Big smile. It makes me feel better about it because this is my first time doing wash and go's and I'm not really use to the look, so I really don't care for it, but I think that I need to just get use to it.  My husband hasn't said anything negative about my wash n go's either so I guess thats a first, he usually the first person to let me know that he doesn't like a specific hair styleBig smile.  Thanks you pinkecube for introducing the method again and thank you msdeekey for your thorough tutorial and information on your blog and YoutubeClap!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 147148149150151 288>
  Share Topic