Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 145146147148149 281>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by leatha2000 leatha2000 wrote:

underlay where did you purchase your satin scares from in your video. Also if I buy a satin scarf will the tag say it's satin? I can't find any satin scares especially the size that you have. All the ones I find says polyester.

I've had them for quite a while now and I dont quite remember. But I know that I got the blue one from a curlkit box and the black one I think I got from Amazon

Here is an example of one, it actually says on the packaging that it is satin:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OO0CG8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006OO0CG8&linkCode=as2&tag=msdeekay-20&linkId=U5D6JY5LLKBMKIEZ

This video explains all the options for scarfs really well just wanted to share LOL

Sponsored Links

leatha2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote leatha2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:34pm
thanks msdeekay for letting me know about the scarves. I am going to check out this video and the one on amazon.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by krauseschoenheit krauseschoenheit wrote:

Hi every one , 
 i am a newbie with the MHM. It has been 10 days since I started it, and so far  I have done the fullregimen  5 time, which means everyother Day. I start at night and finish it the next morning. then restart the following day at night. Is it okay if I do so  for a period of 2 weeks? I live in germany and it is not easy to find tresemme here. so I found a conditioner with these ingredientslist:

AQUA · GLYCERIN · CETEARYL ALCOHOL · ISOPROPYL PALMITATE · BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE · ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL · PARFUM · PANTHENOL · ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL · SODIUM BENZOATE · HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN · POTASSIUM SORBATE · CITRIC ACID.

Is it MHM friendly? I only use it with the baking soda to clarify every other wash day. I have bought a bottle of KCKT today and I am super excited to try it tonight. No none told me that it smellls so yummy. Here are the produts I use:
- baking soda and ACV
- german drugstore conditioner / Curly by nature conditioner  a UK brand( I only have 2 WASH DAY USE LEFT) / KCKT( came with the post today)
- flaxseed gel
- rhassoul clay

Hi krauseschoenheit, welcome to the mhm family great to see you here on the forum and looking forward to seeing your progress.

We have afrolistic who is also in Germany and AfroAngel in Austria. I'm personally based in Sweden right now. We discussed the options on Page 107 to 110 if you want to go back and read.

Basically we agreed that it is easier to get the products online. I suggested iherb that is my first option if I cant find something from there my next options are
you can also try britishcurlies/curlyemporium.uk 
and amazon.uk or .de
AfroAngels suggestion below:
Originally posted by Afro Angel Afro Angel wrote:

Hi Afrolistic, welcome to MHM regimen  I live in Austria and I also understand how difficult it is to get most of These products. The best Option is to Order online as msdeekay said but you can still get molasses from any health stores(Reform haus) around.It`s called 'MELASSÈ'in German just make sure it`s ZUckerrohrmelasse.
**** note that iherb` prices are low but has a shipping restrictions to Germany and Austria which is currently limited to Inter.Airmail,takes approx. 21 days , no tracking no, must be less than $80 and will weigh less than i814grams( no tracking , non refundable but reliable)
You can also check out the Kccc &kckt on megorgeous.nl their Prices are relatively low compared to Amazone.de

Then afrolistic also suggested http://locken-idol.com/ they have the mhm approved tresemme

As for the conditioner I can see some issues with it like glycerin, panthenol, and hydrolyzed wheat protein
AQUA · GLYCERIN · CETEARYL ALCOHOL · ISOPROPYL PALMITATE · BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE · ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL · PARFUM · PANTHENOL · ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL · SODIUM BENZOATE · HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN · POTASSIUM SORBATE · CITRIC ACID.

Glad you were able to get kcktBig smile
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:30pm
Has anyone used flaxseed gel for the wash and go part? I always have products residue. I only use water and flaxseeds to mix the gel. what do you use to mix? I will try it tonight with the KCKT. I am getting bored with the white residue, and My wash and go´s look messy. I Still have a full bottle of the gel in the fridge. Broken Heart

[/QUOTE]
Yay so happy that you are seeing positive results so far and loving the regimen Clap I personally always wear WNG I do my hair every 1 to 2 days and if I'm to busy to do so I clarify, deep condition with a plastic bag and satin scarf, there are usually days that I'm mostly at home.

The more you do all the steps of the regimen, the more you hair get's moisturized but if you don't want to wear a wash and go you can do all the steps and do some other style at the end like a twist out, or just style your hair however you want. Or if you want to take a break you can do what I do above. I hope this helped to answer your question.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:40pm
[/QUOTE] Thanks @pinkecube for uploading the pics! I have a question I'm having problems with white residue during step 4 & 5 when my hair dries. You can also see it when my hair is wet.  I have watered down the KCKT to the point it looks like water in the applicator bottle and I am still getting white residue.  Do you think it could be from the gel? Also, will it be okay if I do this routine everyday even after day 7 because I know once I start back school I am not going to be able to do this routine as much. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

I have noticed the white residue issue is something everyone starting the regimen has to deal with in the beginning. I think it has something to do with our hair still not being able to absorb the product as well and could also be the technique. I also had this issue and it took a lot of trial and error to get to the point where it is no longer an issue.

I posted a new technique that I've been doing that has helped me get better results with step 4 and 5 I'll paste it here again incase you missed it: It's a technique I started doing after I watched Danab's regimen video. Posted on page 123
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page123.html?KW=danabnaturals+regimen

On soaking wet hair, I apply the conditioner from root to tip.
If I see any white residue or foaming I slide it off.
Then  I spray the section down with water to make sure it's still soaking wet
Then I apply the gel to the super wet section.
Going in, in smaller sections also helps especially when you are still building moisture levels. As your hair gets more hydrated you will have the benefit of doing it in big sections.

Some of my hair is more hydrated than others so some areas I do big sections and it just starts clumping without the gels. For my super stubborn areas I section in really small sections and I have to apply the gel and really smooth and rake to get the clumping.

For good results in the leave in and gel part in my experience it has been a combination of practice and building moisture levels, the more you do it the better you get at it and the more hydrated your hair gets the better the results.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

MsDeekay.  Sorry, I couldn’t post anything else after I did the clay mask, but  this was the message I was supposed to send:

Thx MsDeekay. I'm just doing the clay step now (I was interrupted before when I was just about to start). I'm using heat so I'll report back afterwards.

UPDATE:

Using heat with the clay step seemed to work well. My hair didn’t feel stripped and it felt surprisingly soft afterwards. I was able to detangle easily using a comb and no other product.  I know you’re not supposed to with MHM but curl definition isn’t high on my list of priorities right now. Plus I’ve had setbacks due to neglecting my hair recently plus the issue caused JBCO – lots of tangling, shedding and fusing – so I want to make sure I get rid of all of that before I rely on finger detangling alone.

Anyhoo, here’s the recipe I used which is based on Pinke’s:

- Over 50mls of Rhassoul

- 250 mls of purified water (unheated)

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

- 1 tablespoon of honey

- 3-5 drops  Argan Oil

- 3-5  Jojoba Oil

Thanks for the update loves2laugh hope you get rid of all your issues soon enough. I just wanted to add my own personal view about the whole curl definition thing in relation to MHM. I'm saying this here because I know there are a lot of lurkers out there who are confusing the goals of this regimen. Most people think that the whole purpose of this regimen is to get type 4 hair to pop, like other hair types. That we are so obsessed with having curl definition. Curl definition is great and all and I dont think there is anything particularly wrong with wanting to see your own natural texture.

But most importantly IMO the regimen helps build moisture levels which in return results in us being able to see our natural curl/coil pattern. Therefore the curl/coil pattern is a benefit/perk of having hydrated healthy hair.

I don't remember who, but someone mentioned that Frizz is a curl waiting to happen, that really resonated with me. My end goal with this regimen is to achieve healthy, hydrated hair and as a result I know I will be able to see my hair's true texture when properly moisturized. In this condition I will have more versatility with my hair.

We have seen our hair in a dehydrated state for so long that we are conditioned to think that there is no other conditions or states of our hair. That that is the only way. I know it will take a while for people to wrap their heads around this concept but I hope more people will look closely into the regimen and the explanations and really try to understand it rather than passing it off as a quick way to get curl definition. Because it is really deeper than that. It is about healthy hair, moisturized hair. Healthy hair = Good hair.

Sorry for the long message, this is not particularly directed to you loves2laugh I just wanted to clarify this for anyone else lurking and who doesnt understand what we are trying to achieve with this regimen.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:09am

I’m currently trying to work out how best to modify the MHM regimen for the following reasons

I)  To fit into my schedule

II)  To ensure I don’t have any more setbacks and to recover fully from my recent ones. You’d be horrified if you knew how bad I’ve been LOL, so I won’t go into details, but I lost a lot of hair.

I think I’ll only be able to do two washes a week. I know max hydration will be slower for me as a result, but I’m comfortable with this at the moment. The other thing I was thinking was what if my regimen went like this:

ROUTINE A

Step 1: Clarify

Step 2: Cowash & finger detangle (with heat and extra oils, incl JBCO)
Step 4: Leave in Conditioner

Step 5: Botanical Gel

ROUTINE B

Step 3: Clay rinse (with heat and extra oils no JBCO)

Step 4: Leave in Conditioner

Step 5: Botanical Gel

*However, I think I’ll have to detangle on dry hair (with EVOO) in Routine B because at some point I dowant to see curl definition in my hair after the steps have been completed and it’s dry.  So, I want to stop detangling after the clay within a month.

BTW, I’d alternate between Routine A and Routine B every 3 -4 days. Example:  I did Routine B today, so I’d do Routine B on Saturday or Sunday and so on.

Any thoughts?

I know some people havent had the best of results eliminating the clay step or the clarifying step from the regimen. I suggest maybe you also give Danab's regimen a try if you havent already and see how that works for you as a quick option. I'm not quite sure how the routines will play out the way you listed them above so you'll probably have to wait for Pinke's advice on that.

Personally, this is my take on it. I'm all for experimentation because I know when people experiment with the regimen either by changing the order or omitting things it helps them understand how their hair feels in the different versions of the regimen. When they share their experimentations it really helps the rest of us understand the regimen better and you are able to determine why the steps are put together the way they are. Also you may come up with something new that we may be able to add on to the regimen. I mean if DanaB didn't share her videos of how she does the regimen we wouldn't of come up with a shorter version that is more convenient for others.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:13am

I used both the KCKT and Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (I think I might’ve been calling Whipped Cream Gel in my other posts! LOL Sorry).

KCKT

I’m not really sure what I thought of this but first thoughts aren’t encouraging. I used 1 part KCKT to 2 parts purified water. I don’t feel that it moisturised my hair – it didn’t feel as soft as after I rinsed out the clay. Also, I’ve no idea whether it was absorbed into my hair or not. However, I had hardly any white residue and I didn’t get any foaming, but there was a lot of slip. This is why I’m confused!

One of the reviews I read pointed out that there’s no water in the ingredients so how can it be moisturising?! Next time I’ll dilute it as per Pinke’s instructions.  Also, I may just try using the Camille Rose butter on its own.

Also I’m not a fan of the smell Confused

Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I haven’t had the chance to give this a proper trial as my hair was already hard due to the KCKT. However, my first thoughts are that I quite like it. Even before I tried it it looked like it would absorb into my hair. It looks and feels more like a cream than a gel. I tried a little on third day hair and the area in which I applied it seemed softer until the next wash. The only thing is there were some reviews that said that people didn’t achieve shine with it on wash and goes. However, those same people said they did achieve shine with bantu knot outs, twist outs etc. Also, the hold is supposed to much softer too. But anyway, as I said I’ll have to experiment with the KCKT or use it on its own before I can make a proper decision.

However, my initial thoughts are that I prefer the Camille Rose, which is annoying because it costs more than the KCKT LOL -. The Camille Rose Gel costs £20 w/o P&P and the KCKT costs £12.99 which I got on the ground.

@Rebecca: I got the KCKT from Beauty Queens Cosmetics in Dalston.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the two. I'm confused though are you talking about the kinky curly conditioner or the custard?
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:47am
Originally posted by DesiBbUK DesiBbUK wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I've been following this thread for a month now and this is my 3rd week in to the Max Hydration method. I've already left comments on the Facebook group, but words cannot express how deeply grateful I am to Pinkecube for sharing this method with us, patiently answering every post with care and attention while educating us on hair and the best products for it.

On the first cycle of steps I noticed my hair was soft when wet immediately after the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment. Amazeballs!!!! That's never happened before! I used Curl Ecstasy initially but when my 2 hard to find in the UK bottles of Kinky Curly Knot Today arrived from Amazon my results were different. I think KCKT makes my roots more frizzy. However I've now finished my 1st bottle and will go back to Curl Ecstasy until I finish that bottle and can keep you posted on that.

Due to my own sheer laziness I didn't do the initial 7 cycles consecutively but I'm doing it this week.

I definitely have more moisture, curls from root to the tip in some places and when my hair is wet and I shake my head it moves! Yay! I'm getting there.

However, I think I had a setback on Tuesday. I used an old bottle of Bentonite clay for my clay mixture (It expired in 2012) and left the mixture out of the fridge. The smell changed but I still used it in my hair as I didn't want to waste it (some products here are almost double the US going rate). Today my hair isn't just dry, but it's crispy and I've lost definition in my curls on the left side of my head. 

Apart from not using Kinky Curly Curling Custard, how I made the clay mixture is the only thing I did differently from last week (I've done my hair without gel before and it was softer and sprung back). I'll use fresh new clay tomorrow.

I'm also trying out the new Baking Soda mixture (w/o conditioner). I'll feedback on whether my hair responds well to it in a few days.

My hair is chin length but has a lot of shrinkage. So in the mornings if I'm not doing the cycles and instead of fluffing my smooshed hair with water, I use my household steamer (very carefully) and then use my hands to pick out sections of my hair to reshape my 'fro. The coils happily reappear and are thankful for the warm/hot moisture. And on sunny days, my hair dries in a couple of hours instead of the usual 6 hours when it's totally saturated.

At times I also run a little moisturiser over the ends which probably only makes sense if my hair has no gel in it.

I'm rambling but I'm so excited!!! After I saw that video parody about 4Cs can't wash n go I resigned myself to continuing my twist outs for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I found this. And thanks too to the sister who told me about MHM via a FB networking group.

While I'm waiting for Pinkecube's products to come on the market, I'd really like to make my own conditioner and I'm looking for recipes with similar ingredients to KCKT. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do and I'll share my results. I'm starting to make products at home such as air freshener and lotion bars to replace my chemical laden products.

Again, thanks to Pinkecube and everyone else for your great questions, especially MsDeeKay for your responses and great videos and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with the group.

You're welcome DesiBbUk, I'm so happy that your hair is progressing well. I saw your message on FB and I had to share it on my instagram because it was so touching and I thought it was necessary for more people to see it. A lot of type 4 naturals have lost hope and if we can get more of them to know that there is an option then it's all worth it.

It's ironic that the parody video led you to resort to twist outs for the rest of your life and that same video is what pushed Pinke to post about MHM here on the forum. 

This is the only problem I have with the natural hair community, while we have made so much stride into getting a lot of us to return to natural. We still have a way to go to making sure all of us especially those with type 4 hair are not struggling with their hair. A lot of type 4 naturals are struggling and feel isolated right now and the information that is out there on various platforms is really not helping. It is very discouraging to a lot of new and old naturals. I think this segment of the community is the most lacking in term of hair education and products that work for our hair.

Therefore I get so excited when I hear that you ladies are experimenting with creating products because I know you will take MHM into consideration and possibly in the future we will have a lot more options when it comes to to MHM approved products for our type of hair. We will finally have products that work for our hair type, created by us. So I wish you all success in this endeavor and when any of you decided to bring the products to the market I will be willing to promote them in any way that I can.

Thanks so much for sharing your progress so far. Looking forward to hearing how curls ecstasy worked for you and thanks for sharing the steamer trickBig smile

Do keep us updated, looking forward to hearing your future progress.

Edited by msdeekay - Jul 10 2014 at 12:50am
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:52am
Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

Originally posted by jdenni12 jdenni12 wrote:

Pinke,i don't know if this has been asked before and I apologize if it has, however is it possible to use trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner as a leave in under kinky curly? I tested mixing them together and it doesn't seem as if they would react...Also my hair looks much better after it has been conditioned with trader joes than with kinky curly. Just wondering, would he awesome to save on product as well! ;D
I'm not pinke, but I would guess it'd be okay to use the two since they are both approved for this method.
I don't see any problem with it since you're trying to save $ and you like the results//
The fact that they aren't from the same brand seems pretty silly to rule this out but idk.
Ultimately it's up to you and you should do what's best for your hair & POCKET.

Yes what Amber said..there are others here who are using it that way. I can't remember exactly who though. Thanks Amber for helping out responding to questions.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style