Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 281>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:27pm
I’m currently trying to work out how best to modify the MHM regimen for the following reasons

I)  To fit into my schedule

II)  To ensure I don’t have any more setbacks and to recover fully from my recent ones. You’d be horrified if you knew how bad I’ve been LOL, so I won’t go into details, but I lost a lot of hair.

I think I’ll only be able to do two washes a week. I know max hydration will be slower for me as a result, but I’m comfortable with this at the moment. The other thing I was thinking was what if my regimen went like this:

ROUTINE A

Step 1: Clarify

Step 2: Cowash & finger detangle (with heat and extra oils, incl JBCO)
Step 4: Leave in Conditioner

Step 5: Botanical Gel

ROUTINE B

Step 3: Clay rinse (with heat and extra oils no JBCO)

Step 4: Leave in Conditioner

Step 5: Botanical Gel

*However, I think I’ll have to detangle on dry hair (with EVOO) in Routine B because at some point I do want to see curl definition in my hair after the steps have been completed and it’s dry.  So, I want to stop detangling after the clay within a month.

BTW, I’d alternate between Routine A and Routine B every 3 -4 days. Example:  I did Routine B today, so I’d do Routine B on Saturday or Sunday and so on.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links

Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:34pm
<span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">I used both the
KCKT and Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (I think I might’ve been calling
Whipped Cream Gel in my other posts! LOL Sorry).</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold"></span><span style="color:fuchsia">KCKT</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;marginj-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">I’m not really
sure what I thought of this but first thoughts aren’t encouraging. I used 1
part KCKT to 2 parts purified water. I don’t feel that it moisturised my hair –
it didn’t feel as soft as after I rinsed out the clay. Also, I’ve no idea whether
it was absorbed into my hair or not. However, I had hardly any white residue
and I didn’t get any foaming, but there was a lot of slip. This is why I’m
confused! </span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">One of the
reviews I read pointed out that there’s no water in the ingredients so how can
it be moisturising?! Next time I’ll dilute it as per Pinke’s instructions. <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>Also, I may just try using the Camille Rose
butter on its own.</span>

<span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold"></span><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">Also I’m not a
fan of the smell Confused</span><p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia">Camille Rose Aloe Whipped Butter Gel</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">I haven’t had the
chance to give this a proper trial as my hair was already hard due to the KCKT.
However, my first thoughts are that I quite like it. Even before I tried it it
looked like it would absorb into my hair. It looks and feels more like a cream than
a gel. I tried a little on third day hair and the area in which I applied it seemed
softer until the next wash. The only thing is there were some reviews that said
that people didn’t achieve shine with it on wash and goes. However, those same
people said they did achieve shine with bantu knot outs, twist outs etc. Also,
the hold is supposed to much softer too. But anyway, as I said I’ll have to
experiment with the KCKT or use it on its own before I can make a proper
decision.</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold"> </span><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">However, my
initial thoughts are that I prefer the Camille Rose, which is annoying because
it costs more than the KCKT LOL -. The Camille Rose Gel costs £20
w/o P&P and the KCKT costs £12.99 which I got on the ground.</span>

<p ="Msonormal" style="margin-bottom:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;line-height: normal"><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold"></span><span style="color:fuchsia">@Rebecca</span><span style="color:fuchsia;mso-bidi-font-weight:bold">: I got the KCKT from Beauty
Queens Cosmetics in Dalston.</span>

ETA KCKT = Kinky Curly Knot Today

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Jul 10 2014 at 5:59am
DesiBbUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DesiBbUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 7:29pm
Hi everyone! 

I've been following this thread for a month now and this is my 3rd week in to the Max Hydration method. I've already left comments on the Facebook group, but words cannot express how deeply grateful I am to Pinkecube for sharing this method with us, patiently answering every post with care and attention while educating us on hair and the best products for it.

On the first cycle of steps I noticed my hair was soft when wet immediately after the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment. Amazeballs!!!! That's never happened before! I used Curl Ecstasy initially but when my 2 hard to find in the UK bottles of Kinky Curly Knot Today arrived from Amazon my results were different. I think KCKT makes my roots more frizzy. However I've now finished my 1st bottle and will go back to Curl Ecstasy until I finish that bottle and can keep you posted on that.

Due to my own sheer laziness I didn't do the initial 7 cycles consecutively but I'm doing it this week.

I definitely have more moisture, curls from root to the tip in some places and when my hair is wet and I shake my head it moves! Yay! I'm getting there.

However, I think I had a setback on Tuesday. I used an old bottle of Bentonite clay for my clay mixture (It expired in 2012) and left the mixture out of the fridge. The smell changed but I still used it in my hair as I didn't want to waste it (some products here are almost double the US going rate). Today my hair isn't just dry, but it's crispy and I've lost definition in my curls on the left side of my head. 

Apart from not using Kinky Curly Curling Custard, how I made the clay mixture is the only thing I did differently from last week (I've done my hair without gel before and it was softer and sprung back). I'll use fresh new clay tomorrow.

I'm also trying out the new Baking Soda mixture (w/o conditioner). I'll feedback on whether my hair responds well to it in a few days.

My hair is chin length but has a lot of shrinkage. So in the mornings if I'm not doing the cycles and instead of fluffing my smooshed hair with water, I use my household steamer (very carefully) and then use my hands to pick out sections of my hair to reshape my 'fro. The coils happily reappear and are thankful for the warm/hot moisture. And on sunny days, my hair dries in a couple of hours instead of the usual 6 hours when it's totally saturated.

At times I also run a little moisturiser over the ends which probably only makes sense if my hair has no gel in it.

I'm rambling but I'm so excited!!! After I saw that video parody about 4Cs can't wash n go I resigned myself to continuing my twist outs for the rest of my life. I'm so glad I found this. And thanks too to the sister who told me about MHM via a FB networking group.

While I'm waiting for Pinkecube's products to come on the market, I'd really like to make my own conditioner and I'm looking for recipes with similar ingredients to KCKT. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please do and I'll share my results. I'm starting to make products at home such as air freshener and lotion bars to replace my chemical laden products.

Again, thanks to Pinkecube and everyone else for your great questions, especially MsDeeKay for your responses and great videos and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with the group.

jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 8:09pm
Pinke,i don't know if this has been asked before and I apologize if it has, however is it possible to use trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner as a leave in under kinky curly? I tested mixing them together and it doesn't seem as if they would react...Also my hair looks much better after it has been conditioned with trader joes than with kinky curly. Just wondering, would he awesome to save on product as well! ;D
AmberColour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberColour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by jdenni12 jdenni12 wrote:

Pinke,i don't know if this has been asked before and I apologize if it has, however is it possible to use trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner as a leave in under kinky curly? I tested mixing them together and it doesn't seem as if they would react...Also my hair looks much better after it has been conditioned with trader joes than with kinky curly. Just wondering, would he awesome to save on product as well! ;D
I'm not pinke, but I would guess it'd be okay to use the two since they are both approved for this method.
I don't see any problem with it since you're trying to save $ and you like the results//
The fact that they aren't from the same brand seems pretty silly to rule this out but idk.
Ultimately it's up to you and you should do what's best for your hair & POCKET.

Edited by AmberColour - Jul 09 2014 at 9:21pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by tyniagf1 tyniagf1 wrote:

Hi, I wanted to know if there is an co-wash method to this regimen? If not do you think that is even possible? TIA

Hi tyniagf1, not quite understanding your question can you please explain? Do you mean a version of the method in which we cowash only? 

If that is what you mean then, no there isn't because the whole reason this regimen came about is due to the fact that the Curly Girl Method did not have clarifying methods and most people were not able to attain optimum results from co-washing alone. 

That is why the two steps: clarifying step 1 ACV/baking soda and Step 3 clay rinse, were introduced into the method. It was determined that these two steps are very important for the curly girl method to work on Type 4 coarser/kinkier hair which is either low porosity or high porosity.

Edited by msdeekay - Jul 09 2014 at 9:58pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Yesterday I started the beginning of the MHM with a Cherry Lola treatment (I know my hair would have benefited more from the Cherry Lola Caramel treatment, but I needed to start yesterday night on Monday) and an overnight GHE with conditioner, so today I am Clay rinsing after I rinsed out the conditioner.

I'm not liking how my hair feels with the clay rinse (It feels super dryOuch), but I used the mixture without ACV because I was unsure if I should use ACV after the Cherry Lola treatment. 

Hi Amber, welcome to the mhm family. Do you happen to have color treated hair or are you transitioning? According to FAQs on the terressentials site they say people who have issues with their hair feeling stiff, sticky, oily, heavy or dry  after rinsing the clay could be because their hair is chemically treated, or contains hair dye. They say that the clay is trying to strip the hair from parabens, sillicones, plastic polymers, PVP,  proteins that are usually used to repair porous hair due to those treatments. This process can take 3 to 4 weeks. They say people with this issue will only start to feel the moisturizing effect of the clay once their hair is repaired, moisturized and they have regrowth.
I'm all natural, but I have used color on my hair in the past, so yes. 
I have also used heat on my hair earlier this year, if that may also be why my hair feels like that.
Like pinkecube said, my hair soaked up the conditioner, and it felt much much better.
Awesome, good to know the conditioner trick worked for you Clap
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:07pm

It's day 2.

I'm on the clay part right now, which is my least favorite part. Since my hair gets so dry. LOL.
And I've noticed with the clay application my hair doesn't seem to get coated like I'm seeing everyone else's hair when they do the clay rinse. I'm not really sure why that is... Unless it's a porosity issue or the fact that my hair is dyed.

My hair is definitely tangling less so far. I didn't clip my hair last night, so I just put it up in a scrunchy pineappling, but I'll probably section my hair tonight this time.

My favorite part is adding the conditioner since it's so soothing and my hair loves that part, and it detangles sooo easily! 

I'm trying to make sure I take pictures as I do this 7 day daily start, so hopefully I'll have a lot to share afterwards and more in the future.Smile

I hope your hair gets better with the clay as you continue with the regimen. You are right it could be a mix of the two. Looking forward to the progress picturesBig smile
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Is finger combing going to get easier?  I did big chop #2 Monday. I have 5-6 inches of hair. I have done the long version twice before (with a 5 day stretch between each time), but this is the first time I have done it without relaxed ends and with using the  the modified cherry lola treatment on the new growth. I detangled while cutting....but not again until I had conditioned overnight and still had conditioner in my hair.  I had to use my denman brush.....it was just too much...my ends seemed to have matted together. After detangling each section with my brush, raked my fingers through, and still met with resistance. Am I doing something wrong? Is finger detangling supposed to be so difficult? Is detangling with a comb or brush ever needed again?

In my experience I have noticed the more often I do the regimen the easier it is to detangle. I usually do the regimen at least every other day because I noticed when I stretched to 3 days I have to spend more time removing shed hairs and detangling. If I do it everyday or every 2 days there is less shed hair and detangling is much easier. 

I also detangle under running water in the shower. This makes it super easy.

Maybe you can give Pinke's technique a try she twitst/french rolls her hair into sections when she deep conditions overnight 
You can find her instructions on page 61
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10874280.html?KW=perpetually+detangled+hair#10874280'

HTH
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:20pm

Also, can anyone tells me what page the short method is on.
I might consider doing that after two/three weeks.
It's on Page 127
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page127.html?KW=danabnaturals+regimen
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style