Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 291>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

I think I may try danabnaturals regimen. It seems less time consuming than what I'm doing now. (It takes about 2 hours to do my hair right now and I have to do mine all in one sitting) what she does is

1. bentonite clay mask (15-30 min)
2. step in shower and co-wash with baking soda mixture (she leaves her's on for 1-2 mins no showercap)
3. co-wash with MHM approved conditioner and detangle (5-10 mins?), squeeze excess conditioner out. Don't rinse
4. Apply gel on soaking wet hair

I saw that. I'd like to try this every day and see what the result is. If it is as functional as MHM.

Have to say though, I don't think this would be as effective if she JUST started out with this. I did MHM on my friend for the first time. I'm not sure if the results would have been AS good. 

Anyway, I will experiment! I know my hair loves conditioner with BS.

I did her regimen today and got my best wash and go. I think what really helped was making sure my hair was soaking wet when I applied the gel. Then I also sprayed my hair with water after I applied the gel then shook. Great results and It only took me 30-40 minutes compared to 2-3 hours before..
Sponsored Links

Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:48pm

Is there a LIST of the no no ingredients?
There's one on p.67 = http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page67.html

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

Pinke, thx so much for explaining about the ingredient change for the Giovanni Conditioners Direct Leave-in. I've seen both the 'eco chic' and 'pure organic' versions - I never would've known! I'll defo try the pure organic as I remember seeing lots of girls complain about the ingredient change a while back - both off and on this forum. Most people seemed to prefer the earlier formula.

Edited for clarity

You're welcome loves to laughSmile

- Is cetyl alchohol, cetearyl alchohol, stearyl alchohol similar? I read that they're alcohols derived from fatty acids? If yes does that mean all alcohol derived from fatty acids are OK for us to use?

- Are all humectants astringent? If yes, I may reduce the amount of honey I use in my clay mix if I adding JBCO.

- I've seen a lot of natural products that contain sugar - is this a no-no for MHM?

- I've also seen natural conditioners that contain soap or castille - is this also a no-no

yes, those are fine, they are fatty alcohols. Some fatty alcohols that are short chain--like the triglycerides in coconut oil, are not ideal for everyone.

No, not all humectants are astringent. Honey is not astringent. The reason glycerin aka glycerol, is astringent, is because it is a polyol, or sugar alcohol compound. That's where the astringency comes from. From what i have read honey may be better as it won't pull moisture out of the hair during dryer temperatures like glycerin. I read this specifically about honeyquat.

I won't worry about products that contain sugar. If it's a sugar alcohol, you might want to avoid it. They are really saying ethyl alcohol, but trying to be cute about it, so it can have a drying effect. Even ethanol comes from sugar.

For your question about Castille. Saponified products are not ideal for the hair. They tend to be drying and can leave soap residue on your hair. Some are even based on salts or contain lye. I wouldn't recommend them. So if you mean can you use something like Dr. Bronners, I wouldn't recommend it. If a conditioner says it contains soap or some "saponified" oil, that would make it something to avoid. I don't think they would just write castille in the ingredients list, so you will be able to see if it contains salt or a saponified oil.

Great questions!Big smile

Are any of these conditioners MHM friendly?

Pure Life Soap Papaya Conditioner - 14.9 fl. oz. (440 ml) No-No Thumbs Down
Pure spring water, organic papaya infusion and extracts, botanical extracts, emulgent from a vegetable source, organic aloe gel, certrimonium chloride, tropical essential oils, organic sesame oil, hydrolyzed non gmo soy protein, brown rice vinegar, vitamin C from an organic source, vitamin A from an organic source, vitamin E from an organic source.

Kirks Natural Products Original Coco Castile Conditioner Thumbs Up okay

Purified Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose (Plant Fiber), DMDM Hydantoin, Coconut Oil, Aloe, Chamomile, Soapwort, Natural Fragrance.

^this must have been what you were referring to? The only thing that makes it castille is Soapwort, which is just a plant extract. This is fine. Now if it had said, "saponified coconut oil" that would be something i'd avoid, but this is okay.

Botanical Skin Works - Leave In Conditioner - 2.5 oz Thumbs Up okay
*^Butyrospermum parkii (Shea Butter), *Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil,  *Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, *Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Nut Oil, CO-Q10, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM aka sulfur), *Organic Proprietary Blend of Botanical Infusion of Extracts, Essential Oil Blend of Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary), Salvia Officinali (Sage) and *Lavendula Angustifolia (Lavender).

NUBIAN - EVOO & Moringa Repair & Extend Conditioner Thumbs Down No-No
Deionized Water, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Sorbital Esters, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Vegetable Protein, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Leaf Powder, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Proprietary Essential Oil Blend, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioning Salt), Chenopodium Quinoa Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Rosemary Extract, Bamboo Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract.

Rebekah93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:24pm
I think I may have bought the wrong gel! I bought the Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel but the ingredients are different to the ones Pinkecube listed:

Aqua (purified water), VP/VA copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, tocopherol (vitamin E), citric acid, phenoxyethanol, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, fragrance (includes essential oils), *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *betula alba extract, malva sylvestris (mallow) extract, *achillea millefolium extract, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *equisetum arvense extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *salvia sclarea (clary) extract, *thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, *tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, *urtica dioica (nettle) extract

I'm sure there are no no ingredients in there? Hopefully I'll be able to return it.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:30pm

I think I may try danabnaturals regimen. It seems less time consuming than what I'm doing now. (It takes about 2 hours to do my hair right now and I have to do mine all in one sitting) what she does is

2. step in shower and co-wash with baking soda mixture (she leaves her's on for 1-2 mins no showercap)
3. co-wash with MHM approved conditioner and detangle (5-10 mins?), squeeze excess conditioner out. Don't rinse

Give it a shot aharri, and tell your results. I feel like this would work with the bakingsoda option, but maybe not with acv. Maybe if acv was done first.

A quick thing to remember though, DanaB still incorporates DCing, she just spaces it out. She noted this helps her hydration levels in one of her other vids. So you might end up alternating btwn MHM and her version. This I'm thinking it's okay to experiment with since you've been building up moisture for awhile.

I know during step 4 and 5 i smooth out excess foam from my hair when i apply the leave in, so that can be applied to MHM. I make recommendations, but the way you do the last two steps can be played around with it just matters that you do them.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Rebekah93 Rebekah93 wrote:

I think I may have bought the wrong gel! I bought the Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel but the ingredients are different to the ones Pinkecube listed:

Aqua (purified water), VP/VA copolymer, hydroxyethylcellulose, tocopherol (vitamin E), citric acid, phenoxyethanol, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract, fragrance (includes essential oils), *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, *helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, *glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, *betula alba extract, malva sylvestris (mallow) extract, *achillea millefolium extract, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *equisetum arvense extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *salvia sclarea (clary) extract, *thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, *tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, *urtica dioica (nettle) extract

I'm sure there are no no ingredients in there? Hopefully I'll be able to return it.
Hi Rebekah, It's the same ingredients they probably made a mistake and switched the ingredient list around, but it is still the same formulation. I ran into this a couple times before, the list is just rearranged. That's why citric acid and phenoxyethanol's so high up the list. Its good, you don't need to return it, there aren't any no-no's.
Rebekah93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebekah93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:37pm
Whoop! Money saved lol Thanks!
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:17pm

I saw that. I'd like to try this every day and see what the result is. If it is as functional as MHM.

Have to say though, I don't think this would be as effective if she JUST started out with this. I did MHM on my friend for the first time. I'm not sure if the results would have been AS good. 

I did her regimen today and got my best wash and go. I think what really helped was making sure my hair was soaking wet when I applied the gel. Then I also sprayed my hair with water after I applied the gel then shook. Great results and It only took me 30-40 minutes compared to 2-3 hours before..

Dude, I just got done with it and I concur. My BEST wash-n-go... Look, now 100% of my hair moves (the front doesn't move THAT much even when I jump ALOT lol, but it moves!!!) lol watch: https://vine.co/v/MFW7Leq0tev

#1. I applied mud mask like a relaxer, put a cap on for 1 hour (just because I forgot to wash it out)
#2. Then I applied conditioner + baking soda + a bit of oil, put a cap on for another hour (just because I forgot to wash it out lol)
#3. I really feel like I could have skipped putting conditioner on again after that because I put my already diluted conditioner in a spray bottle and used it to spray my hair soaking wet in section, then apply my gel. Then I sprayed it again when I was done, shook, and found that most of my head is shaking (at least somewhat) now.

This is crazy. I never in 1 million years believed my hair could be like this. The test will be to see what it feels like once it dries.

Tomorrow, I will experiment with doing BS conditioner first, then mud mask. Basically I am combining step 1 and 2 of MHM and simplifying the moisturizer and gel step.

I also have to say, the results would not happen with the BS option. I have been trying to get the same results with the BS cleanser as I do with BS conditioner and its just NOT THE SAME. I will now use BS conditioner (less diluted than the cleanser, basically) from now on.

Unfortunately, my flaxseed gel is not as effective using this shortened method as using the original MHM. I think this might be because my hair is at a lower pH due to more concentrated baking soda. KCCC is too expensive, though. Flaxseed + KCCC works, but I flaxseed + already diluted KCCC has more frizz. 

Edited by kwicherbichen - Jun 27 2014 at 5:36pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 5:45pm

thanks for sharing those results aharri,Smile i'm going to give this a shot too! Ive never done all the steps at once, but this may be a great way to do it during the day and speed it up. I might even add it to the mhm options for those who have to do it all in one go. I agree with what you say about hair being soaking wet after the gel step. Recently i was liking the results i get from adding conditioner to my hair after step 3 and letting water run through as i spread it. With my technique of getting at the roots as i did the next step, i was able to do my hair in bigger sections. The wetter your hair is, the better the product spreads.

Also i just remembered when i skyped with kwicherbichen sometime ago, one of the things that was hindering her results was her drying her hair with a towel after each of the first 3 steps and did them on only slightly wet hair. So maybe i may edit that into the regimen too, to keep the hair soaking wet, I think that's pretty important.

@kwicherbichen. watering conditioner in any step down is just to help it spread better and save conditioner. Doesn't effect results. It's also optional.

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 27 2014 at 7:09pm
CurlyGurlTash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyGurlTash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:01pm

Dude, I just got done with it and I concur. My BEST wash-n-go... Look, now 100% of my hair moves (the front doesn't move THAT much even when I jump ALOT lol, but it moves!!!) lol watch: https://vine.co/v/MFW7Leq0tev

#1. I applied mud mask like a relaxer, put a cap on for 1 hour (just because I forgot to wash it out)
#2. Then I applied conditioner + baking soda + a bit of oil, put a cap on for another hour (just because I forgot to wash it out lol)
#3. I really feel like I could have skipped putting conditioner on again after that because I put my already diluted conditioner in a spray bottle and used it to spray my hair soaking wet in section, then apply my gel. Then I sprayed it again when I was done, shook, and found that most of my head is shaking (at least somewhat) now.

This is crazy. I never in 1 million years believed my hair could be like this. The test will be to see what it feels like once it dries.

Tomorrow, I will experiment with doing BS conditioner first, then mud mask. Basically I am combining step 1 and 2 of MHM and simplifying the moisturizer and gel step.

I also have to say, the results would not happen with the BS option. I have been trying to get the same results with the BS cleanser as I do with BS conditioner and its just NOT THE SAME. I will now use BS conditioner (less diluted than the cleanser, basically) from now on.

Unfortunately, my flaxseed gel is not as effective using this shortened method as using the original MHM. I think this might be because my hair is at a lower pH due to more concentrated baking soda. KCCC is too expensive, though. Flaxseed + KCCC works, but I flaxseed + already diluted KCCC has more frizz. 

I too did my hair the way Danabnatural demostrated in her video and I like it much better. I've been using the radiant volume tresemme naturals for the co-wash/Dc and KCKT & GTCG for my styling so I didn't have to have soaking wet hair. I will experiment some more and see what happens. I already had started to experiment with doing the clay wash before the baking soda wash and I prefer it because I don't need the clay to help me with definition. The clay being the last step prior to step 4 & 5 just left my hair to tangly and stripped like. 

@aharri are you still using the TJTTT? I want to pick up some but i don't know how my hair would handle that soy protein all the time.

Edited by CurlyGurlTash - Jun 27 2014 at 7:03pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 291>