Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 288>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by bohomojo bohomojo wrote:

I did it in sections and washed it out in sections also. I didn't let it dry on my scalp/hair because that would be awkward. I just let it sit with a plastic bag and a scarf on for 20 minutes. When I took off the plastic bag, my hair was still soaked in the rinse and fine. I went in the shower and came out and everything was still the same. I used my shower head and my kitchen sink spray (which hurt like hell) to get it out and it just wouldn't go. So I honestly just proceeded to the next step. Then I realized that it might've been the coconut oil that just sat on my hair. Sorry for the false alarm but I do think it was the coconut oil because my hair had a soft feel and the cast that was left on my fingers felt like oil. Thanks for the responses!

Your welcome bohomojo, i'm glad you got that figured out. That's weird about the oil, are you the one who uses coconut oil to pre-poo? I know coconut is prone to build up, maybe do the regimen and axe the coconut next time, or even the next couple time, so you can just get the rest of the build up off before adding to it. maybe try using a different oil.
Sponsored Links

bohomojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bohomojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 9:06pm
I never prepoo. I only use the coconut oil in the clay rinse step and the gel step. I'm actually kind of bummed that the oil is still on my hair so now I don't have a chance to let my hair benefit from my leave in conditioner. I put my hair in curlformers and i'll be able to see what it looks like tomorrow morning ( if I can sleep with them on my head). I also have castor oil which has the same effect.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 9:14pm

I never prepoo. I only use the coconut oil in the clay rinse step and the gel step. I'm actually kind of bummed that the oil is still on my hair so now I don't have a chance to let my hair benefit from my leave in conditioner. I put my hair in curlformers and i'll be able to see what it looks like tomorrow morning ( if I can sleep with them on my head). I also have castor oil which has the same effect.
oh, okay, that must have been a different user. use an oil like olive oil for that step. Make sure you are following the mixture exact and not putting too much oil. This mixture is on page 72 where the revised regimen is. It will say in big blue letters max hydration method.
pRiNCesSChANeL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pRiNCesSChANeL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:20pm
hiiiiii pinkie!!! *waves*

i am so happy that i stumbled upon this thread! I'm usually upstairs but i was scrolling and stopped through to see what was going on in here! lol

i am in the midst of reading through the wholeeeeeee thread ( I'm on  like page 30) but before i even finish i just want to know if this method will help me any.

ill start with a little history on my hair:

I big chopped in november of 2011. i wore wigs/weaves to let my hair grow out until last summer when i was comfortable wearing it out. i had nooooo clue what to do with it really and definitely didnt know it had as many curlies as i do. idk if curl pattern is important for this method but i have no idea what mine is. i always just say I'm all of the 4s.

i somehow came across the curly girl method(last summer) and have been "curly girl" ever since. i have been washing/cleansing my hair with bentonite clay (i will shampoo with a sulfate shampoo when I'm being extremelyyyyyy lazy and don't wasn't to apply the bentonite clay) and other then that i co wash. i try and keep my hair moisturized and oiled up with all natural products, i looove shea moisture products!

when i finally started doing wash and go's they looked ok but never were like perfect per say... i started doing them often and thought well maybe my hair just needs to be trained to  form into nice waves/curls. it worked.... kinda.. but i still had areas where it was just fuzz and frizz. 

i always said that one day my ultimate goal was to get my hair to behave in all its areas. i have 2 problem areas right above my ears that no matter how much gel or conditioner i put on them stay fuzzy and frizzy. annnnnd my hair doesn't start to curl at the root. like it fuzzes down some and thennnn will start to curl.i also had a goal that i wanted to be able to wash my hair and have it dry with the nice curlies that it gets when its wet instead of just turning in to a cotton ball or only have to apply a little conditioner and gel and not globs on globs to get the pattern to stick!

sooo maybe this method will work for me??? hopefully you'll be able to analyze some with the photos i will be posting below!!

so for the past few days i have been doing a modified version of this MHM with products that i have around the house while i make my way to the necessary stores to collect everything that i need to do the real deal!!

so far i skipped the cherry lola treatment part( don't have all ingredients as of yet)

but i deep conditioned over night. please let me know what you think of this product. is it ok to use for this method? i really loved how it made my hair feel..

this is how my hair looked the next morning after deep conditioning with that product!

this is how my hair looks with the bentonite clay mix in it. see how theres no definition at the roots and then bam theres waves! thats so weird to me!

this is one of my problem areas (the other side is the same) the only time it looks this way is with the bentonite clay on like in the photo. as soooon as i rinse it off it gets fuzzy and frizzy ughhh!!

the back of my head with bentonite clay in..

so this is right after rinsing the bentonite clay out. zero product. again the fuzziness at the roots..

a little bit of good definition, but its not like this all over. i would love it if it was though!

this is the problem area rinsed out no product. straight fuzz!!

and this finial photo is with conditioner annnnd gel in! still no definition at the roots *cries*

sooooo maybe you can be of some assistance pinkie!!! are my hair issues fixable?!?!?!?!Big smile
afrolistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrolistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 12:35am
@afro angel thnx soo much. I am heading to reformhaus to buy da molasses. Im soo happy danke for ther info. Now left with one thin
Amino acids. I will ask at the reformhaus if they have. Do do have any idea where i can buy it from. I bought the kckt nd kccc at lockenidol.de their things are pretty expensive but they have everything. About iherb i checked it out it reali kool but i dont have credit card so i dont no if i can buy fron there. I hope they accept paypal thou. Will try buying from there next time and see.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:00am
Originally posted by afrolistic afrolistic wrote:

@afro angel thnx soo much. I am heading to reformhaus to buy da molasses. Im soo happy danke for ther info. Now left with one thin
Amino acids. I will ask at the reformhaus if they have. Do do have any idea where i can buy it from. I bought the kckt nd kccc at lockenidol.de their things are pretty expensive but they have everything. About iherb i checked it out it reali kool but i dont have credit card so i dont no if i can buy fron there. I hope they accept paypal thou. Will try buying from there next time and see.
Clapafrolistic glad @afroangel was able to help. Also thanks for sharing the link to lockenidol I always try to find new places to purchase things from. It seem they have most of the MHM approved conditioners even the tresemme radiant sweet orange with lemongrass. I wonder if they ship to other european countries as well.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:03am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

I did it in sections and washed it out in sections also. I didn't let it dry on my scalp/hair because that would be awkward. I just let it sit with a plastic bag and a scarf on for 20 minutes. When I took off the plastic bag, my hair was still soaked in the rinse and fine. I went in the shower and came out and everything was still the same. I used my shower head and my kitchen sink spray (which hurt like hell) to get it out and it just wouldn't go. So I honestly just proceeded to the next step. Then I realized that it might've been the coconut oil that just sat on my hair. Sorry for the false alarm but I do think it was the coconut oil because my hair had a soft feel and the cast that was left on my fingers felt like oil. Thanks for the responses!

Your welcome bohomojo, i'm glad you got that figured out. That's weird about the oil, are you the one who uses coconut oil to pre-poo? I know coconut is prone to build up, maybe do the regimen and axe the coconut next time, or even the next couple time, so you can just get the rest of the build up off before adding to it. maybe try using a different oil. 
Hey bohomojo glad you were able to figure it out.Clap coconut oil is on the products to be careful with list because it can be drying to the hair. I think it may have dried the clay onto your scalp and hair. Good thing you figured it out. Maybe you should stick to the olive oil instead.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:29am

Hi everyone, I 've been getting a lot of questions concerning my progress. I've been thinking a lot about it and I just wanted to answer and clarify my progress for those of you who may have just started the regimen or feel like you're progressing at a slow pace.

I just wanted to say that I have been natural for five years now. Through the course of being natural I had never seen curl pattern on my hair. I never got good results with set styles like twist outs, bantu knots outs etc they always came out frizzy therefore I always wore my hair in updos or twists.

I  big chopped May 2013 due to postpartum shedding. 

Before I started the regimen I had been doing the GHE with castor oil. I started doing this since the beginning of September 2013 at 3 months post Big Chop. The reason I decided to do this is because I had noticed my hairline was not growing at the same pace as the rest of my hair. I also noticed my hair was very dry and I was hoping this would help with that.

At the 3 months point I did a video complaining about my dry hair and Joso Anani told me to check my porosity because I could be Low Porosity. After researching about Low porosity it was just light bulb, after light bulb, after light bulb, everything made so much sense.

I did feel like most of the symptoms of low porosity were exactly what was going on with my hair.  I did the home based water test and according to this test I was low porosity. I also ordered a Hair analysis test from Live Curly Live Free(this was recommended on a forum board for low porosity) their results contradicted my water test. They said that my hair porosity was actually normal porosity. I was about to do the regular cherry lola but the results from the paid test stopped me. Instead I continued doing the castor oil and GHE on average about 3-5 days a week. 

March this year I decided to get more serious about the castor oil and GHE and therefore I tried to challenge myself to do it every single night. At this point my hair started being soft. I thought this meant my hair was moisturized. 

I have blog posts documenting this if anyone is interested let me know and I'll add links here.

I also started noticing a few curls at the crown of my head. Around the same time I found this forum post about MHM and everything made sense because of all the issues I had been having plus my GHE experience.

Before I got all my products and ingredients for the Cherry Lola Caramel Treatment I mentioned to Pinke here on the forum that I will continue to do GHE overnight and heat my conditioner as I wait for my products. She advised me:

Another thing i can suggest is while you wait, still clarify your hair everyday but more diluted. Do baking soda option to help lift the cuticle before u DC, but only 1.5 teaspoons, with the 1/3 cup of conditioner, and add water (not so much that it gets watery, but enough to foam a little) into an application bottle. Rinse out after 30 mins to an hour under a shower cap. Then do the DC/ghe step, and wear a fancy headscarf when you go out over your cap while you ghe during the day.

So this is what I did every single day until I got my products and officially started the regimen. I didn't use the approved Conditioners because I didn't have them. I used Tresemme the one with avocado and Giovanni tea tree tripple treat and I did feel like they were drying that is when Pinke analyzed the ingredients for me.

You can see me talk about this and I even posted pictures on pages 7, 8, 9,11 of this forum thread

For the first few days of me doing the regimen I experienced white residue. But that eventually went away with time. I think as my hair started absorbing moisture better and holding it in.

I did the regimen every single day or every two days.

I always do the deep condition over night option. Because I had great results with the GHE so I wanted to continue doing this. Also because I felt like splitting the regimen into two was better for me time wise.

I did it at one go only once or twice.

There were three times in between that I ran out of products. During this time I would clarify in the morning with the baking soda mixture option and then GHE. This would be just my hair wet with no product in a plastic bag all day and night, under a scarf or hat 'till the next morning. In the morning I would clarify and do it all over again. I would do this everyday until I get my products and then I would continue with the regular regimen. This would go on for about 2 weeks at a time.

I was asked if I think that I'm close to Max Hydration, I dont think so because I consider this to be when you get root to tip definition on wet hair with no product.

I only have that for a couple of strands at the crown on my head(I've shown this in my cowash video) and on the nape area.(These were the first areas that I started noticing curls during my GHE even before I started the regimen) I assume they had a head start in the hydration process. 

I do get curls in some area with conditioner only, the gel sets these curls in place and helps other areas that are stubborn to clump as well.

As far as frizzing and shrinkage when my hair dries up. I do have a little shrinkage. The frizzing is at a minimum now, only in areas that are not as hydrated yet. 2nd day hair has more shrinkage, I think this is due to the fact that I run it under the shower to reactivate it.

I have only spaced the regimen to 3 days maybe once. Because I didn't like that I had to spend more time detangling. So I prefer to do my hair every 1 to 2 days. I also love the feeling of water on my hair.

As far as the wash and go technique that has been a huge trial and error for me.

For a very long time I would get over clumping of section of curls. It wasnt until Pinke posted her video that I started doing it correctly. I watched that video over and over. I still do at times when I'm about to do my hair. I dont think I have gotten this part of the regimen down just yet.

I really started noticing a difference when I started separating my curls when I apply the clay step and also when I apply the leave in and gel. I try to do really small sections as I can and separate them to little individual coils.

As far as length retention I do believe that I have retained length if I compare my hair in march vs where it is now. When I started this regimen length was the least of my concern so this was a huge surprise for me.

I think I will start doing official length checks when I reach max hydration. It would be a great reference to know how much length I'm retaining with this regimen.

Ok So I hope this helps everyone who is trying to figure out my progress. I will start keeping a diary and will share some things that I may be noticing as a reference point from now on.

I will also post pictures of my before I started the regimen and the first day doing the regimen because I dont think I posted those here. I will also be adding this with more information as a blog post on my blog.

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:58am
Hi princecchanel, welcome to MHM. From what you describe I think this regimen would work for you. I think this regime is for anyone who is struggling with dry/frizzy/unmanageable hair. Frizz is a sign that the hair is lacking in moisture. This regimen helps in that cause it helps in building the moisture levels and we can all benefit from that regardless of the hair type. I love this quote "Frizz is a Curl Waiting to Happen"

I think one of the reasons why some try the curly girl method but don't get the results they are looking for could be the products they are using and also the fact that the curly girl method doesnt involved clarifying to remove build up from the products.

MHM solves that part of the equation.

The As I am Conditioner is not on the list of recommended conditioners for this regimen
Pinke already analyzed this conditioner on page 77
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page77.html

As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditoner
Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor OilStearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone. 
Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coconut

here are the conditioners

Conditioners:

1.Kinky Curly Knot Today $11.99 8oz

Maximum hydration approved conditioner kinky curly knot today

2.Curls Curl Ectasy Hair Tea Conditioner $25.00 14 oz

curls curl ectacy maximum hydration approved

3.Curl Junkie BeautiCurls Leave-in Hair Conditioner $19 8oz

CurlJunkieBeauticurls

4.Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner Island Fantasy $17 8oz

Jessicurl Aloeba Daily Conditioner

5.Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner $17 8oz

Jessicurl Too Shea Island Fantasy

6.Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner with Peppermint and Eucalyptus $11 16oz

.Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner with Peppermint and Eucalyptus

7.TRESemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner with sweet orang and lemongrass 25oz

UPDATE:

The old formula has been discontinued in stores and is only available at desktop drugstore.com, last time I checked. It is now out of stock and I don’t know if they will be restocking this same exact formula.

The new formula is NOT recommended for this regimen because it has some drying ingredients.

NEW UPDATE:

Thanks so much to veegirllove on the forum she was able to locate the old formula at Walgreens online and it’s currently on sale for $4.34!!!

Below are the ingredients for the approved version of this conditioner:

Water (Aqua); Cetearyl Alcohol; Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine; Behentrimonium Chloride; Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer; Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract; Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Extract; Fragrance; Dipropylene Glycol; Potassium Chloride; Lactic Acid; Disodium EDTA; DMDM Hydantoin; PEG-150 Distearate; Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Lauroyl Lysine; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone.

tresemme naturals radiant volume with sweet orange

keishamichelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keishamichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:48am
yes! so glad she found the old formula at walgreens.com i found it too! i love the way tresemme naturals makes my hair feel. going to get about 2 of these and the Trader Joe's
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 288>
  Share Topic