Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 251>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

How long does it take to do your bantu knots in the other picture and how long does the style last? I’m assuming they last in hot or humid conditions. But how does the style stand up the cold, wind or rain?

I definitely think you have a style section on your website with picture ‘how to’ videos of the styles you create plus information like the questions I’ve asked above. I also really like the updo you created above.

loves to laugh, that is not my hair, that is just a picture of another natural i put to illustrate 4a hair so ppl wouldn't accuse me of having 4a hair(some on on youtube instisted i was not 4c). Baciallly so you can see the difference.

I wore the bantu knots for 2 days. It took me maybe 40 minutes, my hair was some how a lot faster to do. On the second day i wore it, it rained very lightly. I didn't wear an umbrella but it didn't poof out much at all. It was more frizzy from me sleeping on it than the actual rain.
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

Hi Pinke Smile. Sorry to keep banging on about the ACV, I’m still not quite getting it! As I understand it the ACV clarifies but also closes cuticles. So why not use the baking soda to clarify and only use ACV after the GHE, DC,  steaming etc when the cuticles will need to be open anyway.

Also, what about if we didn’t use the ACV at all? Would that mean our porosity would be increased from the cuticles being lifted by the baking soda, therefore making it easier receive moisture like people with naturally normal porosity?

Re the post about porosity and thickness, does that mean that fine 4C hair can't achieve lengths of other hair that doesn't have it's challenges? What lengths can we realistically expect to achieve with max hydration?

Also, does hair strand thickness increase over time with MHM?

You don't need to over think the function of step 1. Step 1 is to clarify, that's the base. If you do the BS option a benefit from that is your cuticles are opened in prep for DC. Think of it like a bonus. Where as with acv, you would have to first DC to get your cuticles to open and absorb moisture.

bakingsoda is advantageuos for low porosity hair. It doesn't mean it is bad for high porosity hair. It is not going to leave your cuticles open. Adding acv after that would make 3 clarification steps in total and it isn't really necessary. It would leave you stripped.

Once you rinse out BS, the cuticles will be open for a while. But if you just decided to rinse with cold water after that, your cuticles would close. It is not some chemical that is going to permanently increase the porosity of your hair. We just use it at the right points in time and apply moisture so we take advantage of that property. Unless you leave the bakingsoda in your hair and just walk around, you cuticles are not staying open. You have rinsed it out. So we are basically just in control of our hair's behavior, we are not really changing anything accept moisture levels.

At the end of the regimen, we already bring back the ph with the gel. The gels are ph balanced. There is no other need or use for acv in this regimen. It is just a good gentle conditioning clarifier for those who don't want to do the bs option. That's it.

MHM will not increase your hair strand thickness. The only thing that could do that are silicones or proteins by building up on your hair and piling on it. Nothing is going to increase or change anything, accept moisture and hair health. But you will notice your hair feels stronger, especially areas that reach max hydration, although they will be fine strands as before, they will clump together and that serves as keeping the strands together so they aren't fending individually like dehydration forces them too. So a clumped coil has more springback and strength with it, so length retention happens. The area i had the bald spot in that has had max hydration all this time, just wetting it, makes it literally stay in the same curl formation for the past few months. It is retaining a lot of length because of that. It feels strong and has incredible springback,

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by natural essence natural essence wrote:

[QUOTE=pinkecube]

When it comes to relaxer absorption, porosity is irrelevant as the treatment is extremely alkaline opens up and eats holes in the cuticle layer. The effect of how easy your hair is to relax, is actually more determined by the density of your hair and the fineness of individual strands, that determine how easily your hair relaxes. So fine strands are more likely to take to relaxer faster, where as super thick strong strands will have a naturally thick cuticle layer, and resistance to bonds breaking.

I say if your hair passed the test for low po, and turns white when you apply product like conditioner, that is low porosity hair. At the end of the day this method will work on your hair even if you have high porosity hair anyway, since it involves closing the cuticle and sealing after.

Hi MHM's!!

I have been uber busy and MIA but I have been sticking with the regimen and continuing to gain results.  Pinkecube...can you send me your email address in a PM and then I can forward you some photos of my hair....I am having difficulty inserting pics on this site but I would love to provide pics to this wonderful thread!!

As quoted above...I as well have been questioning my hairs porosity as like the above my hair floats in water which indicates low poo however, it doesnt take long for my hair to get wet when placed under water but it dries extremely fast which I believe is indicative of high porosity.  I have fine 4b-c hair.

I know that you stress that this regimen is for low porosity hair but high porosity can also benefit... I just want to ensure that this regimen will continue to benefit my hair... so far so good though

Hi natural essence, good to hear from you and would love to see those pics!Big smile

One thing that we need to keep in mind is just because our hair gets "wet" doesn't mean it is low porosity. If your hair dries fast with just water, everyones hair does that unless it is very dense. If your hair has conditioner, that is going to take a while to dry, and it will likely look white on your hair(before the regimen). Where as water evaporates quickly so many times we mistake that as our hair just "drank it up" when it didn't. Your hair was wet for awhile and then it evaporated.

Like i said, porosity does not matter with this regimen. I mention porosity a lot because i need to explain why other methods of moisturizing have been so extremely ineffective for 4c natural and 4b naturals. But in this method, everything is so controlled, that it literally doesn't matter anymore. Everyone has cuticles, every one needs moisture and to seal in that moisture. So we all benefit. This is just putting low porosity hair at the forefront.

This is not going to increase the porosity of your hair or anything. It is just putting you in ultimate control of your hair's behavior so you can assure your hair is taking in moisture. All the factors that cause a disadvantage have been taken into play. So if it will work for even the most sensitve of us, it is going to work for everyone else. Even Aketafitgirl does a bs rinse every once in awhile. She has high porosity hair. The only problem is she puts straight water and bakingsoda on her hair, and that is stripping for literally everyone. Even my low porosity hair hated that until i did my mixture. Then it ended up liking it and now i prefer the bakingsoda. Anyway that is why she feels she can't do it often. The mixture used in this reggie's not going to be a problem.
natural essence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:01am
Thanks for the timely response Pinkecube.

I have tried not to focus on the porosity of my hair and just try to look at what products may hair likes/dislikes.  I have been natural for quite some time and have been stuck at collar bone length.  My hair has done well with protective styles but I always envied those naturals that were able to do wash and go's.  I am hoping to prove that 4b-c hair can rock wash and go's and still attain length.

My issue is that I have uber fine strands and hairdressers always stressed that with fine hair I need protein treatments (not excessive) but duly needed protein in order to reinforce and strengthen my strands.  I am eager to see how my hair reacts to the mild protein treatments through the Cherry Lola...I have done two so far and am wondering if I should stick with bi-weekly or extend to once a month.

As the weather is warm in my area now I am going to take advantage of rocking wash and wears as much as possible. 

Will you be adjusting the regimen at all for winter months (possibly doing the regimen but styling in twist/braid outs?).  I have always had a love/hate relationship with KCCC but now it has turned into a staple product (just the drying time is crazy).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:09am
I think I already know that this gel is a non no but I need some confirmation ( I have been reading the ingredient lists on products like never before!!)

Beautiful Textures Curl Defining Custard

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract/Aloe Vera, Tocopherol/Vitamin E, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract/Rosemary Extract, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil/Olive Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit/Shea Butter, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter/Mango Butter, Argania Spinosa Nut Oil/Argan Oil,Hydrolyzed Triticum Vulgare Protein/Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 11, Imidazolidinyl Urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Polysorbate 20, Parfum/Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, d-Limonene, Linalool.

The bolded are ingredients which I believe are no no's..... I know I just said above that kccc is one of my staples but I am still seeking for another alternative if possible!

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:41am
Hi natural essence, my hair is also fine. I explained above that clumping really helps. The reason that these stylist are recommending you do protein treatments, is because they expect you to be doing protective styles and they expect you not to have clumping. Fine hair in protective styles tends to break, the hair is dry and brittle, and because to detangle you have to separate your strands using a comb to get out all the shed hair build up, you likely will have breakage. Fine hair does best in a clumped state. I hope this is making sense, tell me if it isn't. Like some max hydrated strands i have refuse to leave their uniform shape. I can separate them and they will draw back together, like a memory. This serves so the fine strands are not fending on their own(so you won't need to thicken individual strands using silicones and protein) The fine strands become one curl clump, and they are protected in that sense. I wrote about this on page 84 and 81. Any don't take their advice because it usually worsens the situation, or temporarily works and then stops being effective.

The porosity, fineness, density. All those things do have an impact, it's just that our end of the spectrum is the least educated on how to deal with it, so we are forced to sort of trial and error. At the end of the day your hair will grow with this method. Many ppl have testimony hair growth, including me, msdeekay. and femmuscle on the random natural hair thoughts thread.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/random-natural-hair-thoughtsplease-share_topic149859_post10898044.html#10898044

So this will both stimulate hair growth, and you will retain length better than the protein treatment protective style hallabaloo. I've been there. Yeah, you don't need to do cherry lola twice a week, I recommend every 2 weeks. I myself maybe do it every 2 or 3 months, if i feel like it. The bentonite clay step strengthens the hair too as well.

Yeah, have you read page 72? There are a lot of updates. I personally will be sticking with wash and go's, because i just like them. But it is under the options there. You can do the steps and end with a twist or braids.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_post10888148.html?KW=THE+MAX+HYD#10888148

Other pages you may want to read, are page 81 and 84. Great info there about how hair type effects you ability to retain length and exactly why, so read those.

Thanks for the timely response Pinkecube.

I have tried not to focus on the porosity of my hair and just try to look at what products may hair likes/dislikes.  I have been natural for quite some time and have been stuck at collar bone length.  My hair has done well with protective styles but I always envied those naturals that were able to do wash and go's.  I am hoping to prove that 4b-c hair can rock wash and go's and still attain length.

My issue is that I have uber fine strands and hairdressers always stressed that with fine hair I need protein treatments (not excessive) but duly needed protein in order to reinforce and strengthen my strands.  I am eager to see how my hair reacts to the mild protein treatments through the Cherry Lola...I have done two so far and am wondering if I should stick with bi-weekly or extend to once a month.

As the weather is warm in my area now I am going to take advantage of rocking wash and wears as much as possible. 

Will you be adjusting the regimen at all for winter months (possibly doing the regimen but styling in twist/braid outs?).  I have always had a love/hate relationship with KCCC but now it has turned into a staple product (just the drying time is crazy).

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 10 2014 at 10:46am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 10:43am

I think I already know that this gel is a non no but I need some confirmation ( I have been reading the ingredient lists on products like never before!!)

The bolded are ingredients which I believe are no no's..... I know I just said above that kccc is one of my staples but I am still seeking for another alternative if possible!

Yes, that's no-no
For other gels look on page 72.
Beautiful Textures Curl Defining Custard

Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract/Aloe Vera, Tocopherol/Vitamin E, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract/Rosemary Extract, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil/Olive Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii Fruit/Shea Butter, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter/Mango Butter, Argania Spinosa Nut Oil/Argan Oil,Hydrolyzed Triticum Vulgare Protein/Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 11, Imidazolidinyl Urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Polysorbate 20, Parfum/Fragrance, Benzyl Benzoate, d-Limonene, Linalool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 11:07am
Thanks for the links.. I will review them.

I meant to say every two weeks instead of bi-weekly..twice a week would be overkill!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 11:26am

I read pg.72 a long time ago but I went back and took a look at it.

' Has anyone used the Giovanni and/or beautiful curls shea butter defining gel?

I seen the beautiful curls line at the whole foods in my area but they only carry the wavy  to curly line
 Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel
Ingredients: Chamomile (matricaria recutita) extract (aqueous), yarrow (achillea millefolium) extract (aqueous), Certified Fair Trade shea butter (butyrospermum parkii), aloe vera leaf gel (aloe barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol, coconut oil, apricot fruit and ylang ylang flower extracts, guar gum, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, citric acid.

and the Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner
Ingredients: Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) Extract (aqueous), Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) Extract (aqueous), Certified Fair Trade Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Behentrimonium Chloride, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Coconut Oil (and) Apricot Fruit Extract (and) Ylang Ylang Flower Extract , Citric Acid

I know that I shouldn't look at the hair typing (wavy to curly and curly to kinky) to determine if it is best suited for my hair type however, seeing that this is all that is available to me within the Beautiful Curls line would it be safe to use as an alternative to the knot today and KCCC?  I have bolded the no-no ingredients and note that they are not close to the top of the ingredient list

Thanks
sunnydee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sunnydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2014 at 11:35am
Hi All,

I found this thread yesterday after watching Joso Anani's video. It motivated me to get started right away because I've recognized for a while now that my major problem was retaining moisture. 
I thought that I would let you know that I picked up the Giovanni L.A. Natural styling gel at a local store here and unfortunately the ingredients list shows phenoxyethanol as the sixth ingredient, also, aloe juice is the ninth ingredient. At the last minute I went and bought the kinky curly products since I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. Is the phenoxyethanol low enough in the list to be OK to use (say maybe as an extra barrier before I swim in the pool) or should I just return it? Also, what do you think about my using an oil to serve as an extra barrier when I go swimming? I swim in the evenings, so pretty much in an hour or so after I would be doing the clarifying step, which would get rid of the oil. Is that correct?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 251>
  Share Topic