Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 287>






Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar 18 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 3028
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:47am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by irockcupcakes irockcupcakes wrote:

I started the MHM regimen the day before yesterday but without the cherry lola treatment because I didn't have the ingredients. My curls and coils are already popping and my hair was dryyyy before I started!! Don't worry, I took pictures every step of the way. I do think its because I did some of the steps for a longer period of time than what was stated. For step 1 i chose the baking soda to clarify and it ITCHED like crazy including my ears, so idk what was up with that. I decided to do my mom's hair too and her's didn't itch at all so idk. For the deep condition I used the Anita Grant marshmallow rhassoul deep condish cube and used the hooded dryer for 30mins then got sleepy and went to bed without rinsing it out. In the morning I rinsed it out and proceeded to the clay rinse with your bentonite clay recipe (because the deep condish was rhassoul) and then got distracted and ended up having it in for basically the whole day (about 11hrs to be precise) then I did the wash and go with kccc and diluted kckt and I banded my hair for some stretch and went to bed. In the morning my hair was still wet it was probably 15% dry so I used my hooded dryer on high/cool for 30 mins and when it was 80% dry I left it alone. My hair came out so good and felt so nice like never before. I've only done a wash n go one other time and didn't like it because my hair was dry, crunchy and flaky.

Yesterday I didn't do the regimen because I didn't have the time and I was on the hunt for my cherry lola ingredients and some Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner which is supposedly out of stock in the warehouse so they dont have it in stores here. SMH. Although I skipped a day, I banded my hair at night without doing anything to it, no refresher or anything and I wore my second day hair to church today and my hair still feels moisturized, not just soft but actually moisturized. Just not to the max lol. 

Honestly I don't know how porus my hair is. When I did the hair porosity test, my hair always floated in the water but I remember when I used to get relaxers, my hair would straighten very easily and its said that people with high porosity hair absorb relaxers easily (i don't know if thats true or not, correct me if i'm wrong) I say this because I wasn't expecting the results I got and idk if its because of the amount of time I let the dc and the clay rinse sit in my hair or what but I definitely feel alot of clumping going on all over my head especially the tips and even longer in the back of my head (looser texture back there, idk what my hair type(s) is/are). I like the "fro look" so I tried fluffing for a less defined look and some volume but the clumping coils are still easily seen.

I'm about to start my cherry lola treatment so I can only imagine the results I'll have now. I'll post pics soon. I took alot so I have to sort them out. I'm really excited about this regimen even though it's a process but I think its worth it to bring my hair to its full potential. Thanks pinkecube and msdeekay for all your informative posts and all your help, God bless you!Smile


Hi irockcupcakes! Great to hear your experience and results!Big smile So glad u took pics too, thank you!Thumbs Up

 It is likely that the amount of bakingsoda you used was too much. This is because if you start the regimen, you likely don't have much product in your hair. Where as you mother may have already had some product in her hair. So For when we do the bakingsoda step on completely product free hair or hair that only has a little oil, you may have to reduce the amount to 2 teaspoons instead on 2 tablespoons. This is also mentioned on page 72. My cousin had the same experience of itching once, and i realized she used it on product free hair. Once she did the regimen on second day hair, she had more product residue from the day before's wash and go to remove so she didn't have any itch. Anyway it shouldn't effect you next time you do the regimen, since you will be removing gel next time so that will improve.

When it comes to relaxer absorption, porosity is irrelevant as the treatment is extremely alkaline opens up and eats holes in the cuticle layer. The effect of how easy your hair is to relax, is actually more determined by the density of your hair and the fineness of individual strands, that determine how easily your hair relaxes. So fine strands are more likely to take to relaxer faster, where as super thick strong strands will have a naturally thick cuticle layer, and resistance to bonds breaking.

I say if your hair passed the test for low po, and turns white when you apply product like conditioner, that is low porosity hair. At the end of the day this method will work on your hair even if you have high porosity hair anyway, since it involves closing the cuticle and sealing after.

Your welcome i'm happy this information is helping you understand and see positive changes in your hair. SmileBig smile

YAY IroncakesClapClapClapClap thanks for sharing your experiences and guess what!!! It will only get better from here! Looking forward to those pictures! 

Yes I have also found doing some of the steps for longer period of times results in better moisture retention and better results.

Yes I have had the same experience with the baking soda and I have found watering it down helps. But now I understand why, thnx Pinke :)

My hair at at the nape area has also been the first one to do really well with this regimen, I think Pinke you have had that experience too? I wonder if that area get's more moisturized easily or if we tend to have looser texture back there..mmh, interesting.

Yes I know people keep saying that this is a lot of work, but in my experience I think it is totally worth having moisturized hair and seeing the true potential of our TYPE 4 Hair. Who knew that our problem all this time has simply been Dryness & not enough moisture in our regimen? 

Plus I really think once you get to maximum hydration it becomes less work. I was actually on aketafitgirls instagram and she had said that she had been so busy and hadn't done her hair for 6 days something that she has never done before but her hair still looked great!

So yah I think its the sacrifice we have to make now so we can truly enjoy our hair later :) 


Edited by msdeekay - Jun 09 2014 at 1:48am
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
aharri23 View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: Mar 05 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 1879
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:09am
When you say nape you mean the back of your head right? for some reason my curls define better in the back always very easily and it seems they have reached max hydration.

Whenever I apply product to the left side of my hair and shake it doesn't move like at all however the right side moves with no problem. I'm not sure what's going on LOL maybe one side is longer or something, but it doesn't seem that way.

I even apply product first on the left side straight after rinsing out the clay. Dunno what's going on
Back to Top
msdeekay View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar 18 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 3028
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:46am
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

When you say nape you mean the back of your head right? for some reason my curls define better in the back always very easily and it seems they have reached max hydration. 

Whenever I apply product to the left side of my hair and shake it doesn't move like at all however the right side moves with no problem. I'm not sure what's going on LOL maybe one side is longer or something, but it doesn't seem that way.

I even apply product first on the left side straight after rinsing out the clay. Dunno what's going on

Yes we mean the back of the head :) mmh very interesting aharri23 I never really paid attention which side but I know one side reacts the same way you describe for me too. When I do my hair I will pay more attention and report back.

I have found the hair strands on each side at the front are the most stubborn and the area right in the middle is doing extremely well. I wonder if it has something to do with, that is the area I always start with so it stays with the treatments longer.


Edited by msdeekay - Jun 09 2014 at 2:50am
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6128
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 8:37am
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

When you say nape you mean the back of your head right? for some reason my curls define better in the back always very easily and it seems they have reached max hydration. 

Whenever I apply product to the left side of my hair and shake it doesn't move like at all however the right side moves with no problem. I'm not sure what's going on LOL maybe one side is longer or something, but it doesn't seem that way.

I even apply product first on the left side straight after rinsing out the clay. Dunno what's going on


Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Yes we mean the back of the head :) mmh very interesting aharri23 I never really paid attention which side but I know one side reacts the same way you describe for me too. When I do my hair I will pay more attention and report back.

I have found the hair strands on each side at the front are the most stubborn and the area right in the middle is doing extremely well. I wonder if it has something to do with, that is the area I always start with so it stays with the treatments longer.


OMG were are all nape hair twins, lol. my nape has always been looser, a 4a. I noticed this on my friend's hair as well(the one with the short hair i took pics of). I always theorized because it was right underneath the head bump it gets the least sunlight and as a result stays loose. I know that when i was born and my own brother, they had looser hair and then it became kinky after it fell out, so maybe that's the area that didn't fall out of something. I also notice the farther sides of my nape are more kinky as well. like they are a mixture of 4a and a bit of 4c strands.  It could also be a more textured 4a, where it is still 4a in size and pattern, but just has more kinks than the other 4as because its drier.
Back to Top
CheeryOh View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Jun 06 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 70
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeryOh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:52pm
Do I need to put on a cap during step 3?  I already use it for clarifying & deep conditioning.

Someone asked earlier, but I don't think it was answered: Is porosity permanent? 

Is it ok that I do all of the steps in sections?  Having my sections in braids or twists shouldn't keep it from clumping/curling, right?  

Also, how much does diet affect this regimen?  Health gurus tend to point out that a healthier diet will affect not just your skin, but also nails & hair.  Just curious.

Thanks again!
Back to Top
nicks_hotmama06 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 07 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5038
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicks_hotmama06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:59pm
Pink, PLEASE read my pm. I need help! The tc method has not worked for me.....
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6128
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by CheeryOh CheeryOh wrote:

Do I need to put on a cap during step 3?  I already use it for clarifying & deep conditioning.

Someone asked earlier, but I don't think it was answered: Is porosity permanent? 

Is it ok that I do all of the steps in sections?  Having my sections in braids or twists shouldn't keep it from clumping/curling, right?  

Also, how much does diet affect this regimen?  Health gurus tend to point out that a healthier diet will affect not just your skin, but also nails & hair.  Just curious.

Thanks again!


Hi Cherry Oh. No you don't. I don't wear a cap for that step either.

You mean is our natural hair porosity permanent? Yes. The only was to permanently change the porosity of the hair by my knowlege is to eat holes or damage in the cuticle layer. Even porosity decreases caused by silicones, are possible to remove so they are only temporary.


I think diet has an impact on your regimen the same as it would with any other regimen. I think that your results could be enhanced by that, but if for example you had a healthy diet but were still using silicones, sulfates, and not directly moisturizing your hair, it would be ineffective. So it would contribute positively or hold you back like in anything, but it is obviously not where the major effectiveness lies. Diet and vitamins would never have stopped my bald spotfrom getting bigger, and they didn't. I had to go to the root of the issue which was my product to solve it. HTH
Back to Top
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 02 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 6128
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by nicks_hotmama06 nicks_hotmama06 wrote:

Pink, PLEASE read my pm. I need help! The tc method has not worked for me.....


You mean the tightly curly method? Yeah that method is what most naturals do, being active with silicones or not caring about them, allowing your hair to get build up, reliance on strong humectants all year long(that will pull out moisture in cold or dry climates) not strict in how much we should be introducing moisture to our hair. Not an ideal regimen for very kinky hair types, at all. Only advice i would take from that book is shingling. I'll read ur pm and get back to you.


Edited by pinkecube - Jun 09 2014 at 2:14pm
Back to Top
CheeryOh View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Jun 06 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 70
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote CheeryOh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 8:32pm
Just a heads up everyone:  there's an article on CurlyNikki today called Type 4 hair - tips for chronic dryness, breakage and styling.

There's a video by Jouelzy on realistic expectations for 4c hair but after being on this thread, her tips sound uninformed.  I left a comment and if you have a moment, you all should, too.  It seems like a really good opportunity to spread the word about the method.


Edited by CheeryOh - Jun 09 2014 at 8:45pm
Back to Top
msdeekay View Drop Down
Junior Member
Junior Member
Avatar

Joined: Mar 18 2014
Status: Offline
Points: 3028
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by CheeryOh CheeryOh wrote:

Just a heads up everyone:  there's an article on CurlyNikki today called Type 4 hair - tips for chronic dryness, breakage and styling.

There's a video by Jouelzy on realistic expectations for 4c hair but after being on this thread, her tips sound uninformed.  I left a comment and if you have a moment, you all should, too.  It seems like a really good opportunity to spread the word about the method.

Thanks for sharing CheeryOh I'm heading over there to check it out. We really need this type of initiative to get the word out to other 4c's out there. A lot of 4c naturals are very frustrated right now because out of all the hair types this segment has been neglected in terms of getting proper hair care information. There are a lot of misconceptions and misinformation. This method explains every single frustration we have had with out hair just perfectly! Everyone who is trying this regimen please help pinke spread the word any way that you can. Let it be heard that there is a solution to our frustrations and that we do not have to tolerate dry 4c hair as a norm!
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8182838485 287>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down