Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 183>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

ETA:  Ok, so I've just seen that you bolded glycerine as a problem ingredient in your reply to irockcupcakes - so I'm guessing it's a no??

Hi Pinke 

In your revised regimen on p.72 can we still use conditioners that contain glycerine? I’m aware that you advise against the use of it as it’s an astringent and a humectant but you said it could be OK if there weren’t any other problem ingredients in it.

p.75 (http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page75.html) it says:

“…glycerin is a bit astringent, but it wont be bad as a deep conditioner since that would involve enough heat and humidity and you will be rinsing it out. If they had any other major problem ingredients like denatured alcohol it would be a no. Do not try to use the one condition as a leave in, though. Unless you are planning to revolve your hair regimen around daily humidity levels”.

If glycerine is OK I have what I believe is an otherwise perfect conditioner: 

Naked Care Sensitive Conditioner

Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Glycerin, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Gossypium hebaceum ( cotton ) seed extract, Olea europara ( olive ) fruit oil, Citrus aurantium ( neroli ) oil, Aspartic acid, Citric acid, Chlorphenesin, Linalool.

Also, if I did use a leave-in conditioner with glycerine but didn't use gel at this point - I’m planning on protective styling  until the end of the year - would that be OK. If my hair gets dry between wash days after the first week, couldn’t I just spray it with purified water? I'm not currently as concerned about the curl pattern as much as I care about hydration and retaining growth at the moment... I believe the curls will come eventually anyway.

The bolded scares me.
Sponsored Links

waveyrus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waveyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:30am
Hello Can you do the Cherry lola treatment and the daily five steps all in one day?
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by waveyrus waveyrus wrote:

Hello Can you do the Cherry lola treatment and the daily five steps all in one day?

Yes absolutely. After the Cherry Lola you could steam your hair instead of deep conditioning over night. Then proceed to the rest of the steps on the same day.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:51am

ETA:  Ok, so I've just seen that you bolded glycerine as a problem ingredient in your reply to irockcupcakes - so I'm guessing it's a no??

Hi Pinke 

In your revised regimen on p.72 can we still use conditioners that contain glycerine? I’m aware that you advise against the use of it as it’s an astringent and a humectant but you said it could be OK if there weren’t any other problem ingredients in it.

p.75 (http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page75.html) it says:

“…glycerin is a bit astringent, but it wont be bad as a deep conditioner since that would involve enough heat and humidity and you will be rinsing it out. If they had any other major problem ingredients like denatured alcohol it would be a no. Do not try to use the one condition as a leave in, though. Unless you are planning to revolve your hair regimen around daily humidity levels”.

Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Glycerin, Brassicamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Gossypium hebaceum ( cotton ) seed extract, Olea europara ( olive ) fruit oil, Citrus aurantium ( neroli ) oil, Aspartic acid, Citric acid, Chlorphenesin, Linalool.

Also, if I did use a leave-in conditioner with glycerine but didn't use gel at this point - I’m planning on protective styling  until the end of the year - would that be OK. If my hair gets dry between wash days after the first week, couldn’t I just spray it with purified water? I'm not currently as concerned about the curl pattern as much as I care about hydration and retaining growth at the moment... I believe the curls will come eventually anyway.

I'm not sure about the ingredients so I will answer the rest of your question. The gel forms a cast and functions as a sealant in this regimen. If you look at the revised regimen under option 4 she says:

"You can choose to complete all the steps and end it by braiding each section or twisting, or what ever if you want to wear it under a wig. You can also do set styles with this method (twist out, flexi-rod, whatever). The important this is to not omit any of the 5 steps, including gel."

I think you could refresh your hair with water in between but at the 3 day mark you would have to repeat the whole regimen.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:18am

Hi Pinke 

Also, if I did use a leave-in conditioner with glycerine but didn't use gel at this point - I’m planning on protective styling  until the end of the year - would that be OK. If my hair gets dry between wash days after the first week, couldn’t I just spray it with purified water? I'm not currently as concerned about the curl pattern as much as I care about hydration and retaining growth at the moment... I believe the curls will come eventually anyway.

Hi Loves2laughSmile
No. if it has no other no-no ingredients you can use it as a deep conditioner only. Something that you strictly rinse out. If you leave it in your hair, you should be wearing a shower cap the whole time. I do not recommend glycerin as a leave in conditioner or in your gel. Unless you want to check the weather in your area daily to make sure the dew points are okay for you to use that product, and also be prepared to redo your hair with a different product when it the air is dry, keep glycerin products in step 1 or step 2.  This is why glycerin is a no-no ingredient. In dry weather it will literally pull moisture out of your cortex. No. Even if it does pull moisture toward the hair, that moisture being pulled toward the hair is not going to do anything since your cuticles would be closed by then.

Yes, if your hair gets dry you can respritz. But don't stretch your style past 3 days. Respritzing, weather or not you are using gel or oil, is inefficient for actual moisturizing. It will basically just make your hair wet, so you would be refreshing your curls but that's it. It's not going to be absorbing into your hair, its just going to evaporate. To properly introduce moisture to your hair and contribute to moisture retention, we need to repeat the whole regimen. That's what its for, it's not about coil definition. But since we all do have zigzags and coils and curls, that would be the results of efficient moisturizing.

And you can still protective style and do the gel step. It says that on page 72 under step 6. But if you are planning to do a longterm protective style with out redoing the regimen frequently enough, (like braided extensions or mini twists) you are not going to be getting that moisture retention. Otherwise they are fine. Just don't expect to be able do the same protective style for 2 weeks straight and get results with this regimen, because you would not be building up moisture levels, you would just be getting build up. Spritzing will not do anything to save that, trust me i've tried it. You're already going to be having a sealant coating your cuticles, and secondly your cuticles are going to be closed by then. It will make your hair a little damp for a while and then evaporate. I do not consider just wetting your hair moisturizing.

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 06 2014 at 11:20am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:25am
Originally posted by waveyrus waveyrus wrote:

Hi waveyrus, welcome to the MHM journeySmile. Msdeekay answered ur question btw
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Hi Pinke 

The bolded scares me.

hi sugabanana, cetearyl alcohol isn't a no no ingredient. even though its an alcohol, its fine. (because its fatty acid, not a drying or denatured alcohol). the chlorphenesin is a preservative, low hazard. As for the Brassicamidopropyl dimethlamine it is a silicone replacement but it doesn't absorb into the hair like quats and does rinse off so its okay in terms of build up.

If it was plain dimethlamine I would say no, as it would form corrosive salts(Lye). I would still avoid products with it because the dimethlamine is still formed from ammonia and ethanol. But I'm not sure if this would be official no-no, because of the brassicamidopropyl means it's extracted from brassica oil, making it a fatty alcohol, only it doesn't absorb into the hair. So if this was a product and you were only cowashing, it could build up, and would cause problems. but the clarifying steps would be enough to remove it.

Edited by pinkecube - Jun 06 2014 at 6:27pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:51am
Thank you so much Msdeekay for taking the time to look through this post and other information i have posted on different topic posts and compiling them together on your blog! ClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileWow, everyone should be thanking Msdeekay right now, because that is a lot of work to make everything easier for you guys!! Here is the link to the blog below, thanks again Msdeekay!Big smileBig smile

http://www.msdeekay.com/the-maximum-hydration-method/the-maximum-hydration-method-regimen/
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Thank you so much Msdeekay for taking the time to look through this post and other information i have posted on different topic posts and compiling them together on your blog! ClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileWow, everyone should be thanking Msdeekay right now, because that is a lot of work to make everything easier for you guys!! Here is the link to the blog below, thanks again Msdeekay!Big smileBig smile

http://www.msdeekay.com/the-maximum-hydration-method/the-maximum-hydration-method-regimen/

Embarrassed Im blushing LOL LOL I just figured the thread has become so freakin long and it's becoming more and more hard to navigate. I can understand it can become a bit overwhelming, so this will be a temporary solution until we get the official FAQ on www.maximumhydrationmethod.com

Just warning you guys the page is super long…and I'm still formatting the font and stuff for easier readability(I will be updating it regularly as we get more questions)

other than that I have compiled all the important information plus frequently asked questions from here on the forum, Pinke's hair transformation and all the important videos that she refers to.

It truly is a wealth of information concerning this method and I highly suggest anyone who wants to learn more about the method to take time to read and digest it. Pinke has done a wonderful job researching the ins and out of our type 4 hair all we have to do is take the time to learn it and spread it to others who may be struggling with their Type 4 Hair.

Edited by msdeekay - Jun 06 2014 at 12:12pm
CheeryOh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeryOh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:10pm
I've read many of the posts and understand the regimen and the products fairly well.  

I'm wondering about the step with the gel.  Is it used to seal?  It seems as though the gel is used for a wash and go, but what if I don't want to wear one?  Can I skip the gel, use an oil to seal and style as desired?

I appreciate your help.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 183>