Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 256>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by natural essence natural essence wrote:

Hi Ladies,I sked this question a few pages back re: utilizing the kimmaytube for leave in?

Thanks!

Natural essence, i wasn't able to find your last post so i just looked up the kimmaytube leave in formula.

I wouldn't recommend it and i have a few reasons why. First, this leave in includes kinky curly knot today, as part of a mixture. But there is no need to mix all those oils and other stuff. Watering it down will produce great results alone.

Second, there are oils mixed into the leave in. It is better to minimize oils being mixed in, and instead layer them so the can seal in moisture. Otherwise you'll end up sealing moisture out, because these oils are not emulsified as part of the conditioner.

Third, using aloe. Bad combination. Now this is just my take on this for low porosity kinky hair, others find they love it. For me, because these are astringent, they will give your hair a hard time absorbing the leave in. The astringents are going to be lifting off the conditioner not allowing it to get in, so putting aloe juice in could end up causing frizz. aloe in a gel is okay, because it is going to form a cast. Aloe juice causes frizz.

Aloe is used to lower the ph i assume, so your hair cuticle can close. Kinky curly knot today falls has a 7. There's no worry that it will actively lift your cuticle. After, you'll be applying a gel. That gel is going to be ph balanced and will close your cuticle, plus the conditioner in this step is a cooler temp, so your cuticle will begin to close automatically from that.
Sponsored Links

CurlyGurlTash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CurlyGurlTash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 9:55pm
Hello all,

@Pinkecube & any body else who wants to chime in, I have been monitoring the forum and have been doing the method but I have a few questions. I am low porosity. My last texturizer was May 2011, I chopped off the remainer in August 2012. My hair is quite long and all I do is wash and go's. I have been following the curly girl method for most of my journey but have not had as much success as alot of others. It's been a journey all by itself in just trying  to find the right products for my hair and trying to figure out what my hair likes and don't like.

Who knew this whole returning to natural thing would be so complicated..lol.LOL I'm more 3C/4A, fractal/zigzag curls. My hair seems to swell after I put baking soda in it. It feels very waxy like and rough after using the clays (with water, or acv, or aloe) it doesnt matter what I mix it with. It just seems like there is something still on my strands and it feels very weird and tangly, not easy to seperate or detangle. I know I didn't have the same response to it that most people rave about. I read an article on Black Girl Long Hair by Jc from The Natural Haven that said, "Clay helps your hair to retain protein" and I also researched it and found that to be true according to other sources. I know my low po hair does not like proteins, coconut oil, aloe vera, panthenol, glycerin, oils, drying alcohols, silicones, sulfates, and the such. It seems to not like Clays either. I've tried my own mixes of Rhassoul, Bentonite, Kaolin. I've tried pre-mixed rhasooul clay and Terrresentials in the past. I recently ordered some more Terresentials to experiment with since its been so long since I last used it. The modified cherry lola treatment also had my hair feeling straw like, I think it was maybe too much proteins. I don't know.

Also, that darn KCCC has been a (beep) you know what to figure out the ratio to use.Ermm I always get flakes (snowing white-like paritcles) all over once it dries and it is unberable. I mean if I touch or shake my hair it's like it's raining snow flakes everywhere and my hair never dries with a crunchy cast, always soft and then my hair swells, gets big and not as defined as it was while wet. Ive tried watering down the KCKT, I've tried using it full strength, you name it, I've probably tried it. I was wondering if anybody else were having these problems?!?  

I recently purchased the Green Tea Curl Glaze and it does just what the others who tried it reported. It defines my hair better than KCCC, but it goes on my hair rough like and makes hair kind of tangly, (whick I think that may be from the green tea extract becuase I reserached it and it's said to contain panthenol). My hair has better shine with the GTCG (my hair looks more black than it does with the KCCC. KCCC gives it a more brownish tint which is my real hair color. The GTCG seems to be drying on my hair though so KCCC beats it when it comes to moisture hands down! The GTCG claims to strenghten the hair and it seems to do that but seems to much for my strands. I will keep playing around with to see what I come up with since I have it.

I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to be as detailed as possible! I believe this regimen can and will help alot of people with their hair woes! It's basically a (re-mix/spin-off) of The Curly Girl Method, Tightly Coily Method, AketaFitGirl & DanaBNatural regimens. I think it's cool how you mixed it all up and came up with Max Hydration Method...Wink  Thanks in Advance!

Edited by CurlyGurlTash - May 27 2014 at 10:00pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by CurlyGurlTash CurlyGurlTash wrote:

Hello all,

@Pinkecube & any body else who wants to chime in, I have been monitoring the forum and have been doing the method but I have a few questions. I am low porosity. My last texturizer was May 2011, I chopped off the remainer in August 2012. My hair is quite long and all I do is wash and go's. I have been following the curly girl method for most of my journey but have not had as much success as alot of others. It's been a journey all by itself in just trying  to find the right products for my hair and trying to figure out what my hair likes and don't like.

Who knew this whole returning to natural thing would be so complicated..lol.LOL I'm more 3C/4A, fractal/zigzag curls. My hair seems to swell after I put baking soda in it. It feels very waxy like and rough after using the clays (with water, or acv, or aloe) it doesnt matter what I mix it with. It just seems like there is something still on my strands and it feels very weird and tangly, not easy to seperate or detangle. I know I didn't have the same response to it that most people rave about. I read an article on Black Girl Long Hair by Jc from The Natural Haven that said, "Clay helps your hair to retain protein" and I also researched it and found that to be true according to other sources. I know my low po hair does not like proteins, coconut oil, aloe vera, panthenol, glycerin, oils, drying alcohols, silicones, sulfates, and the such. It seems to not like Clays either. I've tried my own mixes of Rhassoul, Bentonite, Kaolin. I've tried pre-mixed rhasooul clay and Terrresentials in the past. I recently ordered some more Terresentials to experiment with since its been so long since I last used it. The modified cherry lola treatment also had my hair feeling straw like, I think it was maybe too much proteins. I don't know.

Also, that darn KCCC has been a (beep) you know what to figure out the ratio to use.Ermm I always get flakes (snowing white-like paritcles) all over once it dries and it is unberable. I mean if I touch or shake my hair it's like it's raining snow flakes everywhere and my hair never dries with a crunchy cast, always soft and then my hair swells, gets big and not as defined as it was while wet. Ive tried watering down the KCKT, I've tried using it full strength, you name it, I've probably tried it. I was wondering if anybody else were having these problems?!?  

I recently purchased the Green Tea Curl Glaze and it does just what the others who tried it reported. It defines my hair better than KCCC, but it goes on my hair rough like and makes hair kind of tangly, (whick I think that may be from the green tea extract becuase I reserached it and it's said to contain panthenol). My hair has better shine with the GTCG (my hair looks more black than it does with the KCCC. KCCC gives it a more brownish tint which is my real hair color. The GTCG seems to be drying on my hair though so KCCC beats it when it comes to moisture hands down! The GTCG claims to strenghten the hair and it seems to do that but seems to much for my strands. I will keep playing around with to see what I come up with since I have it.

I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted to be as detailed as possible! I believe this regimen can and will help alot of people with their hair woes! It's basically a (re-mix/spin-off) of The Curly Girl Method, Tightly Coily Method, AketaFitGirl & DanaBNatural regimens. I think it's cool how you mixed it all up and came up with Max Hydration Method...Wink  Thanks in Advance!

Hi CurlyGurlTash! Welcome to the journey to max hydration!Thumbs UpClap

Okay, i'm seeing some things that may be the issue in regards to the BS, and Clay.

First of all let's make sure the mixtures are correct.

Option 1: Baking soda rinse. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda into thick 1.5-3 oz conditioner. Add 4-7 oz of water. Shake. Apply to hair in sections and let sit on the hair for 30-60 minutes. If being done on product free hair, lower bakingsoda measurement to 1-2 teaspoons. This step is ideal for low porosity hair, since it lifts the cuticle as well.

Option 1: Clay rinse

This rinse can be done using any pure clay powder, like Bentonite Clay, Rhassoul clay, red clay, zeolite clay, european clay, French Green Sea clay and more. Using a funnel, you can pour each ingredient into a large empty 32 shampoo/conditioner bottle, shake afterward, use, and then store for the next day.

mix ingredients:

• 1 cup pure clay powder

• 2-4 cup warm water

• 1 tablespoon of honey

• 1 tablespoon of olive oil

I have found that these are important, to do the mixtures as is. It's okay to eye the ingredients, but if you are having issues with the clay it's because the mix isn't right. Especially if you have low porosity hair, avoid aloe. My hair i know cannot stand aloe juice. It's astringent, can leave the hair either hard or frizzy. Even almost squeaky. Also since you are low porosity, avoid putting acv in the clay rinse for pretty much the same reason.

On it's own the bentonite clay rinse can be too much for the hair. This is because of the high ph, it can be stripping. That's the reason why i do not recommend plain bakingsoda and water, either(even though danabnatural does it sometimes). So make sure you are mixing honey and oil. a few ppl have reported to me problems with either the aloe in terresentials, or doing a clay rinse that wasn't of the method's mixture. This pre-mixed rhasoul clay, what are the ingredients. You are the second to say this brand of clay reacted badly in your hair. I still don't know the brand, but could it be Natualicious rhassoul 5 step clay? With any product you're using look at the ingredients, this is not exempt just b/c it's the clay step.

Moroccan Lava (Rhassoul) Clay, Deionized Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Olea europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Vitis Vinfera (Grape) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Phenoxyethanol

Your hair definetly does not like aloe vera juice, or glycerin. Glycerin is also an astringent btw.

The hair getting frizzy is a problem when it dries. I believe this is because of you not reaching max hydration, and also the aloe contained in the kccc.

I'm also low porosity, and i have had no issue using the clay.  And my hair hates protein, coconut, aloe juice, pretty much everything you wrote. It's all about using the clay correctly, because it is a clarifier. We of course do not want protein loss doing all those washes anyway. The important thing is not putting actual proteins into our hair. Overall we can't totally avoid proteins or things that act like proteins. the important thing is to avoid the strong ones that show no benefit to us.

Yes we all had this problem of shrinkage and swell at some point. I recommend first that you are applying enough gel. Your hair should feel slippery along the shaft. Secondly, make sure that when you apply the conditioner, your hair does not foam white. The more slippery your hair feels, the softer your gel will dry and the more frizz you may have.

I have also layered flaxseed gel under my kccc. It gave me the results in this recent video, prevented it from shrinking due to the aloe. The definition was the same though, it just some how prevented the shrinkage.

I wanted to experiment with my next wash and go first to make sure it wasn't a fluke before i shared this information, because i had also has a lot of hydration in my strands, and left my clay in longer than usual. Also, sections that i didn't apply the aloe to (the sections in the video) seemed to turn out fine.

But i think you all should try it, if you still have issue w/ the shrinking. I had a feeling it was the aloe. If it ends up being so, i may be mixing flaxseed gel into my kccc. The ratio i used was 1/3 cup of flaxseeds, to i think 2 cups of water, and 3-5 drops olive oil. Alone, the results were awful and my hair felt dry. It has better definition than kccc initially, but the swelling was too much when it dried. It was pretty liquidy. But i noticed that it didn't have that initial frizzy effect the kccc had when i put it on my hair.. So something about the aloe in kccc(likey it's astrignent properties) makes it so that if it directly touches the hair you'll get insta frizz until you layer enough to get slip. I know when i make my product line, i'm excluding aloe for that exact reason.

I remember putting aloe juice diluted with water on my hair before applying my leave in. My hair instantly frizzed up, felt squeeky and tangly and would not absorb the conditioner afterward.

I think what i will do soon is do one side of my head with only kccc and the other with flaxseed layered under, to really test it.

When you do the bakingsoda step, are you deep conditioning overnight? Maybe try adopting that. If you are not, make sure you heat some water and pour it in the measured amount of conditioner to heat it up and leave under a cap for 10-15 minutes, for step2.  If you heat your leave in (which is totally optional for step4, not necessary) Just make sure to never heat the conditioner itself directly, that can cause it to coagulate and create flakes.

GTCG also contains aloe btw.

Edited by pinkecube - May 28 2014 at 12:12am
CurlyGurlTash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CurlyGurlTash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2014 at 11:26pm
@Pinkecube, thank you so much for the detailed response. You seem so knowlegable and you know your stuff..you go gurl..lol. Nice video too! I will try the receipe to the exact measurements. Yes, that is the brand of Rhassoul Clay that I used and I also brought Rhassoul clay and mixed it myself. I also used the Shea Terra Organcis brand.

Clementine, Contains only: Certified organic aloe vera juice, Moroccan mud, Kalahari mineral salts, clementine essential oil

Menthe Vanilla, Contains only: Certified organic aloe vera juice, Moroccan mud, Kalahari mineral salts, natural vanilla, peppermint essential oil Rhassoul Clay supposed to be more gentle than Bentonite and other Low Po girls rave about how it makes their hair softer than the Bentonite.

As for the gel, what about the flaking issues? It even flakes with GTCG but not as much as the KCCC. If I apply more gel than I'm already applying, my hair would look a white mess!!! I've tried flaxseed gel in my hair before and it was a flaky dry mess as well. I did try mixing the GTCG & KCCC in a small section of hair to offset the drying effect of the GTCG and the flakiness of the KCCC and it seemed too work better than the both gels alone but I will have to get more KCCC becuase I only had a litttle small amount left that I tested with. The GTCG does have a shorter drying time than KCCC also.

When I do the BS step, I steam my hair. I tried the overnight thing, my hair is soft but I just don't like sleepin with it in my hair. I like to utilize the steamer that I purchased.Smile I don't really have issues with much shrinkage though, especially with the GTCG.

Thank you so much for your time and dedication! The best with the product formulations!

Edited by CurlyGurlTash - May 27 2014 at 11:27pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 12:22am
Originally posted by CurlyGurlTash CurlyGurlTash wrote:

@Pinkecube, thank you so much for the detailed response. You seem so knowlegable and you know your stuff..you go gurl..lol. Nice video too! I will try the receipe to the exact measurements. Yes, that is the brand of Rhassoul Clay that I used and I also brought Rhassoul clay and mixed it myself. I also used the Shea Terra Organcis brand.

Clementine, Contains only: Certified organic aloe vera juice, Moroccan mud, Kalahari mineral salts, clementine essential oil

Menthe Vanilla, Contains only: Certified organic aloe vera juice, Moroccan mud, Kalahari mineral salts, natural vanilla, peppermint essential oil Rhassoul Clay supposed to be more gentle than Bentonite and other Low Po girls rave about how it makes their hair softer than the Bentonite.

As for the gel, what about the flaking issues? It even flakes with GTCG but not as much as the KCCC. If I apply more gel than I'm already applying, my hair would look a white mess!!! I've tried flaxseed gel in my hair before and it was a flaky dry mess as well. I did try mixing the GTCG & KCCC in a small section of hair to offset the drying effect of the GTCG and the flakiness of the KCCC and it seemed too work better than the both gels alone but I will have to get more KCCC becuase I only had a litttle small amount left that I tested with. The GTCG does have a shorter drying time than KCCC also.

When I do the BS step, I steam my hair. I tried the overnight thing, my hair is soft but I just don't like sleepin with it in my hair. I like to utilize the steamer that I purchased.Smile I don't really have issues with much shrinkage though, especially with the GTCG.

Thank you so much for your time and dedication! The best with the product formulations!

For the whiteness, try to water it down more. When you apply the conditioner your hair shouldn't feel too slippery. The conditioner has a level of slip to it, so when you water it down keep that slip in mind. Don't make it too thick and not too watery either. The wetter your hair feels when you apply the kccc, the softer it will dry. So if your hair is already white in the conditioner step, take that as a sign your hair will turn white. And make sure to apply enough gel. not too much, but you need to feel slip down the hair shaft. I think your hair will start to absorb the conditioner better once you've gotten the steps right.

Steaming is just as effective, that's good.

Try experimenting with mixing gels if that helps.
Your welcome! Smile

Edited by pinkecube - May 28 2014 at 12:22am
natural essence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 6:10am
Hi Pinkecube,

Thanks for all your responses to my questions...I am going to review them in more detail and most likely have more questions!

In terms of the pre mixed clay brand it is called Earth Lily Moroccan Rhasoul clay scalp and hair wash

Ingredients: non jmo aloe Vera gel, rhassoul clay, extracts of chamomile, horsehair, mugwort, nettle, sweetgrass, castor oil, peppermint oil, jojoba oil, orange sweet essential oil, wintergreen, spearmint oil, rosemary and geranium essential oil and neem oil.

It is very liquid and I prefer the results I get when I make my own clay mix. I live in an area where they don't carry the Terressentials.
leatha2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leatha2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 7:59am
Thanks for responding to my question. The vo3 conditioner that i was talking about was the balancing condition i think it is called sun kissed strawberry. In my town there is only a walmart a few dollar stores and one other grocery store, so it is a small town lol oh and a walgreens. Also what about the as I am products can those be used. I would also like to know if it is okay to uses honey with the deep conditioner step then sit under the dryer with it for 20 minutes.
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:22am
Are there seriously no good gels without aloe vera?? Smh
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by leatha2000 leatha2000 wrote:

Thanks for responding to my question. The vo3 conditioner that i was talking about was the balancing condition i think it is called sun kissed strawberry. In my town there is only a walmart a few dollar stores and one other grocery store, so it is a small town lol oh and a walgreens. Also what about the as I am products can those be used. I would also like to know if it is okay to uses honey with the deep conditioner step then sit under the dryer with it for 20 minutes.

Bolded the problem ingredients in the VO5.

VO5 Herbal Escapes Sun-Kissed Raspberry Balancing Conditioner

Ingredients:

Water (Aqua, EAU), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Stearate, DMDM Hydantoin, Benzyl Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Citronellol, Red 33 (CI 17200), Polysorbate 20, Propylene Glycol, Stearyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Tocopheryl Acetate,nRubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Panthenol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Biotin

Yes it is okay to use honey in your DC step.

Walgreens kinky curly. You can check for your zipcode and see if that walgreens has any kinky curly. Or you can have it shipped to you. You may end up resorting to getting your products online.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/kinky-curly-knot-today-conditioner/ID=prod6227428-product?ext=gooBeauty_PLA_Conditioner_prod6227428_pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6196698&sst=517f457e-3f39-0048-c3be-00002c8a8a44

As i am

Problem Ingredients:

Cetyl Alcohol , Citric Acid , Phytosterols , Serenoa Serrulata (Saw Palmetto) Fruit Extract , Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract , Glycerin , Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract , Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract , Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Stalk Extract , Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root , Behentrimonium Methosulfate , Potassium Sorbate , Fragrance , Limonene

Christine UK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2014 at 10:42am
Hi Pinkecube.  I have already gone ahead and used the liquid aminos with the hydrolysed proteins, (its was in the sports section and is an edible one).  Did not seem to bother my hair and I definitely have more curls today than yesterday.  Is protein a no-no for normal or high porosity hair on this regimen?  Are you saying that the cuticles cannot lift properly when the gaps have been filled with protein?  Just trying to understand how this works, since a lot of references seems to be towards low porosity hair, making it hard to decipher if some of the points stipulated in the some of the Q & As are related to all porosities or just low. if you get what I mean.   Also, in some of the older posts (March), you were putting a Q & A together.  Has it been completed yet?  If so, could you put up a link?  Thanks for getting back to your subscribers at a good time rate.  Learnt so much just reading through some of the older posts.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 256>
  Share Topic