Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 259>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 9:55pm
Hello! I'm new to this thread so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been answered! I'm going to try this mhm method. I've already been doing the Curly girl method using kinky curly products, but I guess I've only been doing wash and gos and thus far only the ends of my hair coil. My question is about the constant use of baking soda. I read somewhere that the granular texture of it can damage the cuticle layer. Is it suggested to use it sparingly once maximum hydration is reached?
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by jdenni12 jdenni12 wrote:

Hello! I'm new to this thread so I apologize if I'm asking a question that has already been answered! I'm going to try this mhm method. I've already been doing the Curly girl method using kinky curly products, but I guess I've only been doing wash and gos and thus far only the ends of my hair coil. My question is about the constant use of baking soda. I read somewhere that the granular texture of it can damage the cuticle layer. Is it suggested to use it sparingly once maximum hydration is reached?

Hi jdenni welcome to the thread!Smile

The bakingsoda step is not going to have that effect on the hair. Baking soda first dissolves completely in these mixtures as it is veeerry water soluble. Not only will it dissolve almost instantly from the water and conditioner added to the mixture, but the conditioner would further add lubrication. So the mixture done in this method will never cause damage to the cuticle or be abraisve on the hair.

Bakingsoda only has that granular texture when mixed with a 3:1 ratio of bakingsoda to water, creating a paste. That is the same kind of paste used for exfoliation. But this mixture is not a paste at all. It's 1-2 tablespoons in about 2-3 oz of conditioner and maybe 7 oz of water. Huge difference, the bakingsoda would completely dissolve.

There are also several natural products that contain salt, like magnesium salt for example. which also has a much more granular texture. Yet these to not damage the cuticle layer, because salt is water soluble. So no you don't have to worry about the bakingsoda at all, and i would encourage continuing the full regimen just the way it is forever, even after reaching max hydration. There's no need to change it because it isn't risky, it's very beneficial.

Even on the box for bakingsoda, they recommend mixing it into your shampoo. So as long as the mixture is done right like suggested in the method, (1-2 tablespoons of baking soda into thick 1.5-3 oz conditioner. Add 4-7 oz of water. Shake.) there is nothing to be afraid of.

Edited by pinkecube - May 22 2014 at 10:53pm
jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 10:59pm
Thanks so much for the speedy response! And wonderful, I will use those ratios! I'm really just hoping for root to tip definition and my natural hair woes will be solved! Lol. I do feel like more people should know about this method. So many naturals are frustrated it seems. They start out with already dry hair, chase after products to make it curl up, it doesn't and then are advised thru blogs and YouTube to accept that their hair is destined to be frizzy and dry and should just do twistouts and braid outs. Even then the hair isn't getting enough moisture. That was my story at least. I'm glad I stumbled across this method!
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:13pm

Thanks so much for the speedy response! And wonderful, I will use those ratios! I'm really just hoping for root to tip definition and my natural hair woes will be solved! Lol. I do feel like more people should know about this method. So many naturals are frustrated it seems. They start out with already dry hair, chase after products to make it curl up, it doesn't and then are advised thru blogs and YouTube to accept that their hair is destined to be frizzy and dry and should just do twistouts and braid outs. Even then the hair isn't getting enough moisture. That was my story at least. I'm glad I stumbled across this method!

Your welcome, I'm glad you found this method-- I really want to spread it to as many type 4 naturals as i can. I think many of us are frustrated. Our side of the natural community has really been neglected in my opinion.

You look on youtube for someone with 4b or 4c hair, you can't find any or most of the time they don't really know how to take care of their hair.

And there's this air as if we can only wear our hair in set styles, or tuck and hide them away in protective styles, for it to thrive. It's either time consuming or boring and ends up with so so results. Then when the styles doesn't turn out right, or we aren't retaining length instead of looking into maybe our hair isn't moisturized efficiently, we accept the dryness and lack of length as "well that's just the way our hair is." "it's meant to just be hidden away or left alone".

I want to break the type 4 hair community away from that mindset permanently. I can't wait until this really blows up so more ppl can be doing this regimen instead of all the pining after a looser texture when it isn't even about the texture at all, it's just the issue of moisture and those curls would pop, the styles come out so much better, and the hair is very soft manageble, and easy to detangle.

Edited by pinkecube - May 22 2014 at 11:16pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:19pm

This!!!Clap You summed it up pretty well!!! I also have a problem with the natural hair community trying to advise everyone to just accept their frizzy hair texture as it's destiny Disapprove that is my story as well. I wore twist for 4 years that I was natural as a protective style, I used oils and did my hair weekly. I thought I was doing everything right and using the right products as per recommendations on blogs and youtube. Only I was not retaining length and there was always a bunch of hair strands on my bathroom floor when I did my hair even though I was only using my fingers!. My hair was always dry , brittle and breaking and I was leaving oil stains everywhere LOL I agree more and more people should know about this method!

Welcome to the mhm jdenni12 :) and have a wonderful mhm journey!
jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:30pm
So very true. I really do think this method will blow up. There are people too who like to label people who like curl definition as "not having the right mindset". And not accepting the hair for what it is. Like it's taboo or something to want it or something. I think that's unfair because it's nothing wrong with wanting your own coils/curls. I tried protective styles and twistouts/braid outs and my hair has not been growing and its been breaking off. Once this hits places like bglhonline and curlynikki I think the word will really be spread! That way new naturals and those who aren't used to navigating this community just yet can start their journey off right!
jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:38pm
So very true. I really do think this method will blow up. There are people too who like to label people who like curl definition as "not having the right mindset". And not accepting the hair for what it is. Like it's taboo or something to want it or something. I think that's unfair because it's nothing wrong with wanting your own coils/curls. I tried protective styles and twistouts/braid outs and my hair has not been growing and its been breaking off. Once this hits places like bglhonline and curlynikki I think the word will really be spread! That way new naturals and those who aren't used to navigating this community just yet can start their journey off right!
jdenni12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jdenni12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:47pm
Thank you msdeekay! The struggle is real! Two years ago, I wouldve given a strong side eye to anyone who told me wash and gos would be my staple style, and it was only because I was looking at people with my hair type who said wash and gos are for looser textures. There is so much confusion that needs to be cleared up. I'm excited about mhm! :)
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2014 at 11:58pm

Yes, i've always been annoyed by that. I'm not asking for a looser curl. But i know i have tiny coils and i want them to be hydrated, and visible. I've been natural for 7 years, and if my hair really liked all the advice we were given, then it would be down to my butt. If i really hated my hair, i wouldve relaxed long ago. If i spend 5 hours(yes i have spent 5 hours!!) on a style, I think i have earned the right to expect it to not turn out like some thing i could get from doing almost nothing.

That's what my wash and goes were like, and my twist outs and other out styles turned out so i couldn't separate them, so i either made them really small spending the whole day doing it, had a look that showed all the parts, or i would have separated them and came up with something that wasn't worth the time i put in. Every hair day looked like something i just rolled out of bed with, and i hated feeling like i had to wear protective styles all the time. Plus my hair was only retaining length in the back where the looser texture was, and even then not that much.

It's not self hate to want to see your coils, and have them look moisturized. It's not self hate to want long hair or moveable hair. Everyone else gets that choice and we should have it too. We have just got this left over mindset because many of us still don't understand the potential of our hair and are afraid to see that potential.

Edited by pinkecube - May 22 2014 at 11:59pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 6:58am
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Yes, i've always been annoyed by that. I'm not asking for a looser curl. But i know i have tiny coils and i want them to be hydrated, and visible. I've been natural for 7 years, and if my hair really liked all the advice we were given, then it would be down to my butt. If i really hated my hair, i wouldve relaxed long ago. If i spend 5 hours(yes i have spent 5 hours!!) on a style, I think i have earned the right to expect it to not turn out like some thing i could get from doing almost nothing.

That's what my wash and goes were like, and my twist outs and other out styles turned out so i couldn't separate them, so i either made them really small spending the whole day doing it, had a look that showed all the parts, or i would have separated them and came up with something that wasn't worth the time i put in. Every hair day looked like something i just rolled out of bed with, and i hated feeling like i had to wear protective styles all the time. Plus my hair was only retaining length in the back where the looser texture was, and even then not that much.

It's not self hate to want to see your coils, and have them look moisturized. It's not self hate to want long hair or moveable hair. Everyone else gets that choice and we should have it too. We have just got this left over mindset because many of us still don't understand the potential of our hair and are afraid to see that potential.

Yes I agree with everything both of you have said, I'm sure once a lot more people try this method and the testimonial pictures and videos start floating around a lot more people will be willing to give it a try. I mean given the choice of dealing with the frustration and the struggle vs trying this with no strings attached. I would definitely choose this. 
I think everyone with type 4 hair or anyone who is dealing with dry frizzy hair should definitely give it a try and there is absolutely nothing to lose. There are so many fads going around right now within the natural hair community and people are "buying" into them blindly because of hype. Here is something that makes perfect sense and has tonnes of research behind it and proven results, so I say it's just a matter of time before it catches on. 
Yes the fact that other people police what other people want with their hair is really annoying. I mean just because you can not achieve something...please refrain from spreading incorrect information to others that you are unsure of. There are a lot of people who do not do research or even read about what they talk about and present their word as gospel. Let people experiment with their hair and see what works for them. If you are unsure of something just dont talk about it or say this is my personal experience but dont force people to accept things lol Like your hair cant do this and your hair cant do that!
Speaking of this I remember watching a video by aketafigirl where she was saying about how even though youtube is a great place to learn about natural hair, there are currently a lot of people without knowing who are spreading misinformation. She was speaking specifically about how she read the curly girl method book and she would watch videos of people who haven't read the book and follow the method giving out incorrect information.
So there you go that is just one example... Sorry guys this ended up being a long rant. I just did a lot of things wrong in my natural hair journey because of being mislead by people who present themselves as the "authority" of natural hair. If I only knew then what I know now my hair would be miles away in terms of health and length lol
I do hope this method blows up so that people just starting their journey dont go through the same struggles most of us have gone through and also so that people can start loving their hair just the way God intended and for people to be less frustrated and really have a healthy relationship with their hair and enjoy it!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 259>
  Share Topic