Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 291>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 11:13pm
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm actually trying to find time to meet with my cousin(who's doing the method) so i can can do her hair at her house and film it, or get someone there to film it, since i don't really have a camera but i use my tablet. She's busy because of her work schedule, so she hasn't been able to do the method for a few weeks. But once she buys the products she needs and i can set a date to go to her house, I'm going to try and film the whole thing, hiding her face. The actual technique isn't really that complicated, it's just difficult to describe in a way that paints a clear picture. An actual visual is important, and i'm going to try and get that done as soon as i can.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you Pinkie, Yay that's great Clap will be looking forward to this. Yah it does seem like it's not hard but it's just hard to picture in your head. 

I usually film my videos and take pictures with my iphone lol just working with what I have lol dont have a camera either (I just got a special clip so I can put the iphone on a tripod) so dont let your tablet deter you.(Just thought I'd let you know, incase you think your tablet may not be good enough)
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 11:20pm
Just wanted to post side by side pictures to really show this is the real deal 4c hair.

Before:
Despite the fact i only had conditioner and oil (and I think some random heat protectant jelly(it didn't have hold, since it wasn't really for styling) that i used until i finally bought my first gel) this is what my wash and goes generally looked like when i did them with gel before, only it would clump into frizz and feel crunchy and brittle. The appearance was like there was nothing in my hair, but my hair would feel awful. I would always like it when wet, but by the time it dried i'd have to pull it into a puff, b/c the shrinkage made my hair look like a mullet, and only the nape would stay defined. The rest of the little definition that appeared when wet would turn into a fro. I don't have any pictures of my hair in that awful mullet state, simply because i would immedietly wear it in a puff it looked so bad when dry.

Now:

4c hair blowin in the wind

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 11:56pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Thank you Pinkie, Yay that's great Clap will be looking forward to this. Yah it does seem like it's not hard but it's just hard to picture in your head. 

I usually film my videos and take pictures with my iphone lol just working with what I have lol dont have a camera either (I just got a special clip so I can put the iphone on a tripod) so dont let your tablet deter you.(Just thought I'd let you know, incase you think your tablet may not be good enough)

Thanks for the tips, i was just gonna have it leaned against a bunch of books, lol.LOL

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

pinkie your wash and goes are on point! I hope i get some results like yours soon! Thanks for sharing. Glad I also could help with the re-wetting suggestion!

Thanks aharri.Smile Yeah that rewetting technique is where it's at.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 15 2014 at 11:27pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:14am

I already posted this but, take a good look at how compact the curls are. This is 4c hair, not 4a hair, and I never used to get root to tip definition in these areas before, if anything, only the tips would coil, and it would be and even more compact coil, that looked like a tube.

4c hair is the most compact, like a tube. 4a hair you can see spaces between the coil, and it's bigger. Also, when their is weight of product, it can form a big s curl, (not to be confused with the sharper zigzags of 4b hair) where as when 4c hair get weighed down it can look like more of a number 5, or a zigzag. In it's dehydrated state, it has the tendency to form random loopings among individual strands, making it less likely to clump. This is even more so an issue for 4b hair. I actually have some curls near my ear that are even tighter than a pen spring but still clump. As it grows longer and gets more retention it will probably clump better.

A visual of why 4c hair will not clump:

Compare the two strands after being put in water to the ones after being treated with baking-soda. Which one is more likely to want to fit together like a puzzle piece?

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/11/myth-or-fact-baking-soda-relaxer.html

Under soaked in water, the water likely did not penetrate the strand, just sat on top of it.

After bakingsoda treatment, the water is able to penetrate the strand because the tightly shut cuticles have been opened. This increases weight of the hair strand, which is what most hair is meant to do in water, but low porosity 4c and 4b hair adamantly resists.

Once the weight of the water is in the curl, the curl becomes more uniform. It is no longer so lightweight from lack of water retention in the cortex, that each individual strand over springs and loops upon itself randomly, which prevents clumping. The uniform curl that is meant to be there is created, making it easier for curl strand to want to clump together like puzzle pieces.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 16 2014 at 2:34pm
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:16pm
Your hair looks good Pinkiecube Clap  I did the clay rinse once and it made my 4a hair one big frizz Ouch  I had to do an acv treatment and condish afterwards to get my coils back.  I will be using all this clay to do mud washes in the future.  But I am looking forward to seeing all the progress in this thread.
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:18pm
Sorry I misspelled your handle Pinkecube...don't see an option to edit.
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:25pm
Also, just to discuss, I thought 4c hair would not curl or coil at all.  From your before picture I can see why you catagorized the top of your hair as 4c but what about now?  Hair typing can be a sensitive issue for some so I hope my question does not upset you as I don't mean to offend. 
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

I already posted this but, take a good look at how compact the curls are. This is 4c hair, not 4a hair, and I never used to get root to tip definition in these areas before, if anything, only the tips would coil, and it would be and even more compact coil, that looked like a tube.

4c hair is the most compact, like a tube. 4a hair you can see spaces between the coil, and it's bigger. Also, when their is weight of product, it can form a big s curl, (not to be confused with the sharper zigzags of 4b hair) where as when 4c hair get weighed down it can look like more of a number 5, or a zigzag. In it's dehydrated state, it has the tendency to form random loopings among individual strands, making it less likely to clump. This is even more so an issue for 4b hair. I actually have some curls near my ear that are even tighter than a pen spring but still clump. As it grows longer and gets more retention it will probably clump better.

A visual of why 4c hair will not clump:

Compare the two strands after being put in water to the ones after being treated with baking-soda. Which one is more likely to want to fit together like a puzzle piece?

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/11/myth-or-fact-baking-soda-relaxer. - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/11/myth-or-fact-baking-soda-relaxer.html

Under soaked in water, the water likely did not penetrate the strand, just sat on top of it.

After bakingsoda treatment, the water is able to penetrate the strand because the tightly shut cuticles have been opened. This increases weight of the hair strand, which is what most hair is meant to do in water, but low porosity 4c and 4b hair adamantly resists.

Once the weight of the water is in the curl, the curl becomes more uniform. It is no longer so lightweight from lack of water retention in the cortex, that each individual strand over springs and loops upon itself randomly, which prevents clumping. The uniform curl that is meant to be there is created, making it easier for curl strand to want to clump together like puzzle pieces.

From your illustration I would be a 4c but my hair has a definite coil to it albeit pin sized in some areas.  Do you consider small coils to be type 4c instead of 4a?
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by nebhnebh nebhnebh wrote:

Also, just to discuss, I thought 4c hair would not curl or coil at all.  From your before picture I can see why you catagorized the top of your hair as 4c but what about now?  Hair typing can be a sensitive issue for some so I hope my question does not upset you as I don't mean to offend. 

No offense taken, I like to answer questions, because im here to explain these things and clear up this fog. The problem that so many ppl get confused over is that 4c hair is not frizz itself. 4c hair is the most prone to frizz, but frizz is a state not a hair type. 4c does have a curl pattern, it is a very tight and compact coil. This extremely well hydrated 4c hair is not 4a hair, the same way 3a, 3c, and 3b hair are not the same thing.

See how the ringlets get more small and compact as the texture gets tighter? And as you go in the looser direction, the space between each ringlet get wider. 4c hair is much more compact than 4a hair-- to the point where at times it can look more like a cylinder tube.

Frizz is not a curl pattern, it is a state of the hair caused by lack of water retained in the hair cortex. The fact is, if 4c hair truly had no curl pattern, your hair would be straight, and you would not even have shrinkage. Curl pattern being able to form uniform and fit together isn't reliant on the size of your curl, but on the level of moisture retained in your cortex. All curl types have this issue to an extent, but 4b and 4c hair are the most effected, because not only are majority of these types low porosity, they also are the most lightweight and prone to coiling and twisting over and upon themself. That is not a curl pattern, it is a sign you do not have enough water in ur cortex, and completely controllable if you know what to do.

Many people find it impossible to get their 4c hair to clump and look curly, because their individual strands just don't have enough water retained in the cortex. This causes their hair to be very lightweight. This lightweightness causes many of the conditions of 4c hair.

• It will not have enough weight to maintain it's uniform curl shape, in other words, it will loop upon its self
  • Prone to tangles and knots, for the exact reason above
  • Hard to retain length because of the reason above, and hair is dry and brittle chronically, which also leads to split ends and breakage. Many people fool themselves into thinking their hair is adequately moisturized by keeping their hair perpetually wet and oily with product, but it in reality does nothing for the raw state of your hair. This is just managing and accepting dehydration(neither of which is easy), instead of getting to the heart of the issue.
  • It has no movement, especially when dry even with product and stretching, because it is too lightweight
  •  it stands up and out when dry because moisture isn't retained within the actual cortex, and gravity can't make it hang. 
Weight from moisture retained inside the cortex(not outside like you would get from wetting closed cuticles, or being heavy handed with sealants like oil butters and gel) gives consistent results of clumping. I have type 4a hair on my head, only at the nape. The difference between 4a hair and 4c hair is 4c hair is waaaaaay more compact. Fully shrunken in a clumped state, it will look more like a tube, where as with 4a hair, you will easily see the spaces between each ringlet on an individual curl clump.

I think that what people describe as 4b and 4c hair majority of the time it is low porosity, or normal porosity. Many ppl confuse low porosity with high porosity, but if their hair were high porosity, many of the techniques common in the natural community would be effective.

Here are some signs to look for in hair porosity:

http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/08/how-to-find-your-hair-porosity-and.html
  1. If it feels rough or has a “straw-like” texture, your hair is not very porous. (it's a sign of low porosity)
  2. If your hair simply feels wet, you have normal hair porosity.
  3. If your hair has high porosity, it will feel sticky, almost as if you had not washed all product out of your hair.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 16 2014 at 2:57pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 291>