Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 289>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Just did the cherry lola last night and my hair was super duper soft! I deep conditioned overnight and this morning did the bentonite clay cleanse and proceeded to a wash and go. I think I was a little heavy handed with the conditioner coz I got some white residue, so I need to experiment with the amount of product I use. Other than that my curls were defined and clumped together especially at the back. Sent pictures to pinkecube this morning. So excited cant wait to see the progress of my hair over time :) 

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't see my email from yesterday msdeekay. I got your pictures, I'm waiting until you send me the second set so I can post them all together in one post. That way they stay side by side.
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

I'm gonna try this tomorrow Smile

I'm a bit confused though. . .so from my understanding, I'm supposed to
Coat hair in max moisture mixture
Let sit for 2 hours
Rinse with warm/hot water
Cowash with botanical/cg friendly conditioner
Apply more, but leave it in
Apply Botanical Gel on top of the conditioner

and then rinse it out?
Or do I let it sit for a few hours?

If I let it sit for a few hours, what do I do after that? Cowash and then LCO?

Glad you're trying this out, Msbella. But botanical gel is not a treatment, you don't rinse it out. It is just your styling product. At that point you would be wearing a wash and go.

The evening would be when you do your bakingsoda rinse or acv rinse. Then you would proceed with the rest of the steps. There is no point in time where you would just use plain water to get the gel off of your hair. You need to do step 1, it's like a cycle.

I'm going to really make an improved better worded version of this regimen and put it the main max hydration website. It will also have an FAQ, and explanation of what each step and option does and it's importance, and recommended products. There will also be a summarized demo explanation of how your hair will react to each step in the regimen for all versions/options.
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

This regimen is going great so far! My curl definition is on point and my hair feels moisturized on day two. I didn't do the cherry lola because I don't have the patience ( I'm extremely lazy -____- ) I hate mixing stuff. This is probably why I don't cook. Lol

That's great, aharri. I'm glad the products are working out for you. Since the weather is warming up and you live in a warm climate, the product should work fine for you.

Just remember when the fall/winter comes around you'll need to switch to a product w/o glycerin. Glycerin in humid climate doesn't have any negative impact.

The problem only occurs in more dry climates and also during the winter. It gets complicated to have to switch back and forth between products, especially in areas with inconsistent dew points even during warmer months, hence why i say just avoid glycerin all together to avoid that inconvenience. Anyway keep it up. Big smile

About the cherry lola it's fine it really is just like a treatment you do once in a while. You can do it when ever you are ready, and it will give your curl definition a boost and lift your cuticles. It is also a very mild protein treatment.

Also, thanks for mentioning that thing about rewetting hair.Thumbs Up I experimented today on my 5th day wash and go (yes, i shouldn't be stretching it this long until i get maximum hydration on my whole head, but i was lazy) which looked completely smushed and flattened beyond refluffing.

I just briefly put my hair under the running shower water, turned it off and shook, and it unsmushed and went back to looking really defined.

I even had stretched it 2 days ago, so i was surprised how my hair managed to retain root to tip definition with minimal frizz upon rewetting. I can't wait until i get complete max hydration on my entire head, I'll be stretching my wash and gos for the whole week doing this method, and just redo my hair on the weekends.

Haha no problem. I always rewet my hair daily with a spray bottle and try not to touch it too much and just shake. It works well for 2nd and 3rd day hair without using any extra product.

So once we get complete max hydration we can do this once a week? That would be awesome!

I started this regimen last sunday and I have done it 4 times. It is very time consuming however I tried to do it everyday like you suggested for the first week but just didnt have the time.

going forward I'll probably do it every 2-3 days
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 1:51pm
[/QUOTE]

Msdeekay, your help in answering questions in this post is very much appreciated.  Big smilethank you for taking the time to answer these questions, its been a big help!Big smile
[/QUOTE]

No problem LOL figured you were busy. So thought I'd help out with what I can.
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Just did the cherry lola last night and my hair was super duper soft! I deep conditioned overnight and this morning did the bentonite clay cleanse and proceeded to a wash and go. I think I was a little heavy handed with the conditioner coz I got some white residue, so I need to experiment with the amount of product I use. Other than that my curls were defined and clumped together especially at the back. Sent pictures to pinkecube this morning. So excited cant wait to see the progress of my hair over time :) 

Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't see my email from yesterday msdeekay. I got your pictures, I'm waiting until you send me the second set so I can post them all together in one post. That way they stay side by side.

Yup just saw it, will update once I get beyond the 7 days Im on day 4 today Clap and its going quite well. 

Ive been able to master the amount of product. Didnt get white residue today. My hair isnt crunchy. When I touch my hair there is no product or oil on the palm of my hand, something that used to be a problem for me. And the curls!!! cant stop admiring them lol it seems surreal that I actually have curls all over my head and they spring back when pulled out lol
MsBella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MsBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 2:20pm

Option # 2
Cherry lola treatment for 2 hours rinse with warm water 
cowash and detangle with conditioner 
apply leave in and then gel dont rinse out this is your wash and go step
if you want to do the lco method then do it while you're applying your gel
so it would be conditioner, little oil, then gel

the day after you could proceed to do step 1 to 5
1. clarify acv or baking soda
2.cowash detangle
3.bentonite clay
4. leave in
5. gel

Thanks so much for clarifying! I'm gonna do the second method since I hate sleeping with moist hair. I may try it that way in the summer time though. lol
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Haha no problem. I always rewet my hair daily with a spray bottle and try not to touch it too much and just shake. It works well for 2nd and 3rd day hair without using any extra product.

So once we get complete max hydration we can do this once a week? That would be awesome!

I started this regimen last sunday and I have done it 4 times. It is very time consuming however I tried to do it everyday like you suggested for the first week but just didnt have the time.

going forward I'll probably do it every 2-3 days

It will still work even if you don't do it every day. Just doing everyday for at least the first week gives you faster results, because the moisture in the hair cortex accumulates faster. Stretching it out just means it will take longer to see signs of max hydration, but you will still get it either way as long as you are consistent with your methods.

Now if you stretched it longer than 3 days before getting max hydration or signs of max hydration, you would be losing moisture in the cortex faster than you would be getting it, since conditioner only lasts in the hair for 3 days.

Once you get max hydration, your hair cortex will retain the moisture in the cortex longer, therefore you get to do your hair less frequently, and can use less product. The only issue with wearing it too long is after awhile the curls will get frizzy and that will lead to tangles.

I also believe that your hair doesn't keep the water in the cortex indefinitely either. This is why the method must always be part of your routine, even though you can space it out to an extent. It's kind of similar to what msdeekay mentioned, you wouldn't wait until you are completely dehydrated to drink more water. you'd just drink it routinely, constantly warding off dehydration.

So yeah, i think once you get max hydration you could probably stretch your wash and goes a whole week. It really depends on how your hair reacts, it's possible some people it could last longer, others it could be shorter, maybe 5 days. How rapidly your hair loses moisture is dependant on the environment and also your products. Some products don't give hold long enough, and depending on the season your hair will lose moisture to an extent.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 13 2014 at 3:16pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:10pm

Yup just saw it, will update once I get beyond the 7 days Im on day 4 today Clap and its going quite well. 

Ive been able to master the amount of product. Didnt get white residue today. My hair isnt crunchy. When I touch my hair there is no product or oil on the palm of my hand, something that used to be a problem for me. And the curls!!! cant stop admiring them lol it seems surreal that I actually have curls all over my head and they spring back when pulled out lol

That's great! Thumbs Up Can't wait to see those pictures, your hair sounds like it's doing wonderfully.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:45pm
btw a friend of mine brought their little brother to my house so i did the MHM (sort of) on his head. His hair is very short. The longest strands on his head are probably barely an inch. Came out pretty defined in some areas. I did acv (left in for 1 hour) rinse, rinsed out with warm/hot water, applied warm watered down tea tree tingle conditioner and put a little kccc gel.

It seemed to define his curls but there were some really stubborn areas that wanted to just stick straight up and would not clump at all. I got one or two of them to clump, which is when i noticed they actually curl into more of a big zigzag. These hair strands also happened to be the longer ones.

Definitely the problem was that those hair strands had the least moisture retention and weight on his entire head, and so I shouldn't have skipped steps 2 and 3. If i have more time next time I'll do the whole regimen on his hair, but deep conditioning/cowash and bentonite clay steps are pretty important. It would have allowed the more stubborn areas to clump.

Generally he doesn't do much to his hair except put a little olive oil in it and brush it. Plus he usually uses any old shampoo and doesn't condition. He has problems with flaky scalp, which the acv rinse helped a lot since he hadn't washed his hair since friday. Both acv and bakingsoda have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties along with being good clarifiers.

Anyway i'll insert pictures tomorrow. I did a sort of palm rolling technique, only i used my fingertips and tackled it section by section (no clips of course it wasn't necessary). I tried to put little to no pressure on my fingertips and roll my finger at the roots, focusing on one area at a time. Almost like i was massaging his head. I couldn't rake or smooth his hair because it was simply to short and wouldn't clump. This technique was the most effective for his length, his hair is also not the type of hair that forms s waves when brushed or whatever it is the guys are doing these days. Generally he shaves it low with a little more length on the top.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 13 2014 at 9:52pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I'm not understanding this quite yet. So with this method, you would clarify, cowash, bentonite clay and gel EVERY SINGLE DAY forever? That would be at least 1 hour of care everyday... And then do the Cherry Lola every two weeks? Am I getting this right? Wouldn't that lead to major moisture overload? What is the point of doing this?

I do not know why i forgot to address this, but this method can never cause moisture overload. The main reason is both moisture and protein overload are caused by product build up. With protein overload it is easy to get, there just needs to be enough protein build up to block the cuticles. If you have low porous hair, you are especially prone to this happening. Moisture overload takes a while because it needs time to build up and gunk up the hair. But it isn't the water per se that is overloading, it's the fatty acids.

Water can never build up on the hair, and our hair does not absorb water endlessly like a sponge. Even if your hair was porous enough(due to damage) to soak an excessive amount of water and cause swelling, it would also lose water just as excessively. Conditioners however contain more than just water. Water is the base, but it also contains emulsifiers that allow oils in the conditioner to be readily absorbed by the hair, and fatty acids, which the hair already absorbs. Our hair can be overloaded by conditioners, especially ones that contain ingredients like panthenol(absorbs into hair shaft and builds up pretty easily), and other fatty acids and emollients that are especially able to absorb into the hair shaft.

These when not properly cleansed can cause the gummy feeling, because that feeling of gummyness and waxyness is a sign of build up. The build up is moisture overload. It also then weighs the hair down and excessively conditions it. If you hear about anyone suffering moisture overload, a lot of the time you'll hear them say they put some sort of thick deep conditioning treatment on their hair and shower-capped it for an excessive amount of time, even days, of course with out clarifying. (MHM has clarification before and after deep conditioning, plus the more moisture retention you get, the less product you have to use (as it is more likely to just build up). You even water down your conditioners, which i recommend especially with thick conditioners)

A good way to attest to this, is water alone capped would take an extremely long time to lead to build up. And even in that scenario, the build up would actually be caked on dead skin from your scalp, and sebum, which is a fatty acid. I have done green house effect with out any product for up to two weeks straight, and have done ghe with a little african growth oil and mostly sheabutter alone for 3 months straight. While I did have signs of build up with the latter, neither caused me to have signs of moisture overload. Although I did use oil with the latter, it was a heavier oil (not fatty acid) that worked more like a sealant outside of the hair shaft. Once I allowed my hair to air dry it wasn't any different from before. People should not be quick to announce moisture overload because their hair feels a little softer than normal when wet.

A good visual analogy is to think of when you wear a bandaid on your finger all week long, with out taking it off. Because oxygen was hindered from reaching your finger, sweat is trapped along with dead skin and natural skin fatty acids that was allowed to build up on the finger. The dead skin and natural skin fatty acids/oils begins to build up, not the sweat. The dead skin and natural skin oil attracts bacteria and starts to smell funny, actual sweat does not have a smell. The only direct impact moisture has, is it causes the dead skin to cake due to the wetness, and give the finger a gray appearance, that feels almost rubbery and excessively soft and elastic.

However, if you took off the bandaid once each day during the week, washed your hands with soap and changed to a new bandaid, that effect won't happen. Dead skin and excess oil is being washed off, therefore the only thing that can build up is being removed consistently. Deep conditioning with this method is always followed by some form of clarifying before and shortly after.
It is even less of a problem when you are not using heavy amounts of thick conditioner. This is why I emphasize watering it down a bit, because thicker amounts build up faster. I didn't want to write to much on this, because it is already in my notes that i was creating for the FAQ, but i figured I'd explain it thoroughly anyway since this is a pretty important point to make.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 13 2014 at 9:51pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 289>
  Share Topic