Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 277>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I'm not understanding this quite yet. So with this method, you would clarify, cowash, bentonite clay and gel EVERY SINGLE DAY forever? That would be at least 1 hour of care everyday... And then do the Cherry Lola every two weeks? Am I getting this right? Wouldn't that lead to major moisture overload? What is the point of doing this?

Not forever...just for the first seven days to build up hydration levels, this is mostly for low porosity hair which is chronically dry and which tends to have a hard time letting in moisture into the hair cuticles. Hence the need to do bentonite clay and cherry lola to keep on opening the cuticles and letting the overly thirsty strands get a "drink" of water until they are hydrated. Clarifying helps remove any build up which may prevent the hair cuticles from receiving moisture.

Once you reach to a point where your hair strands are hydrated or maximum hydration when your hair is holding and retaining moisture for a longer time then you can space it up according to your hair's needs. Recommended even after sufficient hydration is to do the regimen at most every 3 days because that's when the conditioner stops working in your hair.

I really liked aketafitgirls analogy where she says its the same way as hydrating our bodies. We drink water everyday or some form of liquid everyday to make sure we are hydrated the same thing with our hair. We need to keep hydrating it regularly on a consistent basis to make sure that it maintains enough moisture levels. When you have chronically dry low porosity hair, you need to make sure you do extra work to make sure the moisture is being absorbed properly hence the regimen.

I haven't read the book yet but from what I understand this is the basis of the Curly girl Method where you are supposed to hydrate your hair (in the book it says daily) but most say at least every 3 days.

I hope I answered your question :) this is what I understood personally, pinkie please correct me if I'm wrong LOL

Sponsored Links

aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 9:52am
Maaaaan the 4 naturals spring back custard is the bomb. I tried it out today and I like it better than KCCC (cheaper too ) pinkie if i use the spring back custard in conjunction with KCCC will it mess up my hydration levels?
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by msdeekay msdeekay wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I'm not understanding this quite yet. So with this method, you would clarify, cowash, bentonite clay and gel EVERY SINGLE DAY forever? That would be at least 1 hour of care everyday... And then do the Cherry Lola every two weeks? Am I getting this right? Wouldn't that lead to major moisture overload? What is the point of doing this?

Not forever...just for the first seven days to build up hydration levels, this is mostly for low porosity hair which is chronically dry and which tends to have a hard time letting in moisture into the hair cuticles. Hence the need to do bentonite clay and cherry lola to keep on opening the cuticles and letting the overly thirsty strands get a "drink" of water until they are hydrated. Clarifying helps remove any build up which may prevent the hair cuticles from receiving moisture.

Once you reach to a point where your hair strands are hydrated or maximum hydration when your hair is holding and retaining moisture for a longer time then you can space it up according to your hair's needs. Recommended even after sufficient hydration is to do the regimen at most every 3 days because that's when the conditioner stops working in your hair.

I really liked aketafitgirls analogy where she says its the same way as hydrating our bodies. We drink water everyday or some form of liquid everyday to make sure we are hydrated the same thing with our hair. We need to keep hydrating it regularly on a consistent basis to make sure that it maintains enough moisture levels. When you have chronically dry low porosity hair, you need to make sure you do extra work to make sure the moisture is being absorbed properly hence the regimen.

I haven't read the book yet but from what I understand this is the basis of the Curly girl Method where you are supposed to hydrate your hair (in the book it says daily) but most say at least every 3 days.

I hope I answered your question :) this is what I understood personally, pinkie please correct me if I'm wrong LOL

OK, thanks, that sort of clarifies things for me. Not sure if I'm low porosity or not, I need to do the test again. Sounds high maintenance though
MsBella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:12am
I'm gonna try this tomorrow Smile

I'm a bit confused though. . .so from my understanding, I'm supposed to
Coat hair in max moisture mixture
Let sit for 2 hours
Rinse with warm/hot water
Cowash with botanical/cg friendly conditioner
Apply more, but leave it in
Apply Botanical Gel on top of the conditioner

and then rinse it out?
Or do I let it sit for a few hours?

If I let it sit for a few hours, what do I do after that? Cowash and then LCO?

msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:21am
[/QUOTE] OK, thanks, that sort of clarifies things for me. Not sure if I'm low porosity or not, I need to do the test again. Sounds high maintenance though[/QUOTE]

No problem Smile Actually I think even if you are not low porosity you could tailor the regimen to your own hair needs. For instance you wouldnt need to do the Cherry lola treatment because your cuticles don't need help opening. But you could incorporate the curly girl regimen for instance the frequent cleansing, hydrating, conditioning and wash n gos. And of course sticking to cg friendly conditioners and gels. 

I think aketafitgirl is not low porosity but she incorporates the use of a baking soda mixture, ACV rinses and terresentials as her clay wash as part of her cleansing process every 3 days.(her hair has reached maximum hydration) She also uses kcnt and kccc as part of her botanical conditioners and gel.

Edited by msdeekay - Apr 13 2014 at 3:40am
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 3:39am
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

Let sit for 2 hours

and then rinse it out?

you could do it two ways:

Option #1 this is how I do it
I did combined cherry lola treatment for 2 hours rinsed with warm water then deep conditioned overnight. In the morning did the bentonite clay for 15 mins rinsed then simply applied conditioner and gel.

for the following days I would do either AVC rinse for an hour or Baking soda mixture for 15 mins wash it out then deep condition overnight.
In the morning bentonite clay for 15 mins and then conditioner and gel.

I feel breaking it down this way into two days saves more time.

Option # 2
Cherry lola treatment for 2 hours rinse with warm water 
cowash and detangle with conditioner 
apply leave in and then gel dont rinse out this is your wash and go step
if you want to do the lco method then do it while you're applying your gel
so it would be conditioner, little oil, then gel

the day after you could proceed to do step 1 to 5
1. clarify acv or baking soda
2.cowash detangle
3.bentonite clay
4. leave in
5. gel

What I noticed is even though it seems like a lot of work, when you get the hang of it and keep doing it you get into the rhythm of it all and it goes pretty fast especially if you break down the method to night before and the morning after.

Edited by msdeekay - Apr 13 2014 at 3:42am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 9:54am

Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

Let sit for 2 hours

and then rinse it out?

you could do it two ways:

Option #1 this is how I do it
I did combined cherry lola treatment for 2 hours rinsed with warm water then deep conditioned overnight. In the morning did the bentonite clay for 15 mins rinsed then simply applied conditioner and gel.

for the following days I would do either AVC rinse for an hour or Baking soda mixture for 15 mins wash it out then deep condition overnight.
In the morning bentonite clay for 15 mins and then conditioner and gel.

I feel breaking it down this way into two days saves more time.

Option # 2
Cherry lola treatment for 2 hours rinse with warm water 
cowash and detangle with conditioner 
apply leave in and then gel dont rinse out this is your wash and go step
if you want to do the lco method then do it while you're applying your gel
so it would be conditioner, little oil, then gel

the day after you could proceed to do step 1 to 5
1. clarify acv or baking soda
2.cowash detangle
3.bentonite clay
4. leave in
5. gel

What I noticed is even though it seems like a lot of work, when you get the hang of it and keep doing it you get into the rhythm of it all and it goes pretty fast especially if you break down the method to night before and the morning after.

Msdeekay, your help in answering questions in this post is very much appreciated.  Big smilethank you for taking the time to answer these questions, its been a big help!Big smile
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 10:15am

No problem Smile Actually I think even if you are not low porosity you could tailor the regimen to your own hair needs. For instance you wouldnt need to do the Cherry lola treatment because your cuticles don't need help opening. But you could incorporate the curly girl regimen for instance the frequent cleansing, hydrating, conditioning and wash n gos. And of course sticking to cg friendly conditioners and gels. 

I think aketafitgirl is not low porosity but she incorporates the use of a baking soda mixture, ACV rinses and terresentials as her clay wash as part of her cleansing process every 3 days.(her hair has reached maximum hydration) She also uses kcnt and kccc as part of her botanical conditioners and gel.

Absolutely correct, msdeekay. This is why there are options. Opening the cuticles is all about manipulation, which is pretty much the basis of this method, because it gives you control. Nothing is guess work. The cg method is great, but doesnt take into account cuticle manipulation, and proper removal of build up.

Everyone needs moisture to get in their hair strand, and controlling when that happens is the key, no matter the porosity. None of the treatments have permanent effects on the hair. The key is having a system, to control the behavior of the hair based on what it needs using these treatments, and thats why there are different options to experiment with.

Notice that after aketafitgirl does her acv rinses she also steams with conditioner. The cuticle reopens and the conditioner soaks in her hair. Then she finishes her routine with her ph balanced leave in and gel, closing the cuticle. Everyone at the end of the day benefits from the regimen, because with either option, it starts with cleaning the cuticle from moisture blocking build up, opening the cuticle to allow moisture in, applying moisture, and then shutting the cuticle and sealing it to keep moisture in. For different hair types its up to you to experiment with which option and how you will alternate them to see what is most convienent and the degree your hair responds positively to each option.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 13 2014 at 1:04pm
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 11:40am
This regimen is going great so far! My curl definition is on point and my hair feels moisturized on day two. I didn't do the cherry lola because I don't have the patience ( I'm extremely lazy -____- ) I hate mixing stuff. This is probably why I don't cook. Lol
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

This regimen is going great so far! My curl definition is on point and my hair feels moisturized on day two. I didn't do the cherry lola because I don't have the patience ( I'm extremely lazy -____- ) I hate mixing stuff. This is probably why I don't cook. Lol

That's great, aharri. I'm glad the products are working out for you. Since the weather is warming up and you live in a warm climate, the product should work fine for you.

Just remember when the fall/winter comes around you'll need to switch to a product w/o glycerin. Glycerin in humid climate doesn't have any negative impact.

The problem only occurs in more dry climates and also during the winter. It gets complicated to have to switch back and forth between products, especially in areas with inconsistent dew points even during warmer months, hence why i say just avoid glycerin all together to avoid that inconvenience. Anyway keep it up. Big smile

About the cherry lola it's fine it really is just like a treatment you do once in a while. You can do it when ever you are ready, and it will give your curl definition a boost and lift your cuticles. It is also a very mild protein treatment.

Also, thanks for mentioning that thing about rewetting hair.Thumbs Up I experimented today on my 5th day wash and go (yes, i shouldn't be stretching it this long until i get maximum hydration on my whole head, but i was lazy) which looked completely smushed and flattened beyond refluffing.

I just briefly put my hair under the running shower water, turned it off and shook, and it unsmushed and went back to looking really defined.

I even had stretched it 2 days ago, so i was surprised how my hair managed to retain root to tip definition with minimal frizz upon rewetting. I can't wait until i get complete max hydration on my entire head, I'll be stretching my wash and gos for the whole week doing this method, and just redo my hair on the weekends.

Edited by pinkecube - Apr 13 2014 at 12:49pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style