Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 180>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2014 at 3:18pm
Great job on the blog kwicherbichen looks great! 

I just posted pictures of my baking soda experience on my instagram @msdeekay2012 http://instagram.com/msdeekay2012 will be documenting there for now till I get all my ingredients and start the full regimen.  I used the tags #maximumhydrationmethod and #journeytomaximumhydration if any ladies are on instagram and want to share, you can use those tags and we can find each other that way.

I'll start documenting on the blog and youtube, once I start the full regimen. I'll PM you the links soon kwicherbichen.

@exceeding grace your hair looks wonderful, thanks so much for sharing your progress, it really encourages the rest of us. 

Sponsored Links

fredricafekkai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fredricafekkai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2014 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by pinkecube pinkecube wrote:

Originally posted by fredricafekkai fredricafekkai wrote:

i had more success with the ACV instead of baking soda route. I've done this three or four times, but it takes sooooo long I end up doing it at night and only every 3-4 days. 

Hi fredricafekkai,

Do which ever rinse works for you. So you've been trying the routine? How has your hair been feeling? Have you done the cherrylola yet?

Yes, it can definitely be time consuming. I suggest breaking the routine into parts. Do steps 1 and 2 at night. So the rinse and then dc overnight. Then rinse and detangle in the shower in the morning, do the clay rinse, let it sit for 15 mins, rinse out and do steps 4 and 5 in sections as you go along. The more you do it, the less time it seems to take, it just becomes routine. Try to challenge yourself and see if u can do it consecutively 5 days in a row. Your results come faster when u hit it hard everyday for at least the first week.

When I do it my hair feels soft and I do notice a difference. I recently did the Cherry Lola this past weekend and loved it. 
For right now since it is so cold, I don't want to leave with my hair wet so when I do it at night I either do the "halo crown" twists, do a twistout or bun
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2014 at 2:33pm

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2014 at 7:27pm
hi msdeekay, im posting those instagram pics on here as an image for convenience.

msdeekay's hair after doing bakingsoda rinse for first time. For her rinse, since she wasnt removing gel, she used 1-2 teaspoons instead of tablespoons in 1/3 cup of conditioner and a few oz of water.

Application:

Rinse out:

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 28 2014 at 8:06pm
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 6:36pm
I wanted to share this with yall. I met the owner of a natural hair company last night. Here's her hair journey.

I asked her, "How did you go from a type-4 frizzy mess to your curls POPPING?" Her curls were not popped when I met her, she was in a twist out but based on the youtube video, I saw that she was consistently getting her curls popped. I STILL do not think her hair is as thick as mine, but after she told me what she did I saw that she was doing a simpler version of max hydration method. Using her 4/5 products (shampoo bar, moisturizing spray, a light leave-in for styling, a heavier leave-in, and a curling custard/gel)

I tried her products and I really love them mostly because they have the proper pH and she was able to tell me why each ingredient was necessary (It didn't seem like a random combination of oils and butters like other natural products).

The thing that struck me the most was her Curl Enhancing Custard. She said it was a gel except it is a completely different texture. At first I didn't believe it would work because it felt too soft and moisturizing, but I tried it because I HATE Kinky Curly. No flakes. No dryness. No hardness. I will be using her product as my "gel" for max hydration method for a long time.

You can get 10% off your order at www.obianaturalhair.com using coupon code 125553

Edited by kwicherbichen - Mar 29 2014 at 6:40pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

I wanted to share this with yall. I met the owner of a natural hair company last night. Here's her hair journey.

I asked her, "How did you go from a type-4 frizzy mess to your curls POPPING?" Her curls were not popped when I met her, she was in a twist out but based on the youtube video, I saw that she was consistently getting her curls popped. I STILL do not think her hair is as thick as mine, but after she told me what she did I saw that she was doing a simpler version of max hydration method. Using her 4/5 products (shampoo bar, moisturizing spray, a light leave-in for styling, a heavier leave-in, and a curling custard/gel)

I tried her products and I really love them mostly because they have the proper pH and she was able to tell me why each ingredient was necessary (It didn't seem like a random combination of oils and butters like other natural products).

The thing that struck me the most was her Curl Enhancing Custard. She said it was a gel except it is a completely different texture. At first I didn't believe it would work because it felt too soft and moisturizing, but I tried it because I HATE Kinky Curly. No flakes. No dryness. No hardness. I will be using her product as my "gel" for max hydration method for a long time.

You can get 10% off your order at www.obianaturalhair.com using coupon code 125553

Hi kwicherbichen. those products do contain hydrolyzed wheat protein, to you protein sensitive ones. And glycerin, although it isn't the top 5 ingredients.

btw, there are other many gels than kinky curly that don't contain those products. I posted them here earlier.

also, have you tried kccc yet using the max hydration regimen? If you think it will work for you, then try it. but like i said b4 if you don't like the feel of kccc you can layer with a light oil for softness, and the cast softens but still maintains definition the longer you wear it. The feeling of the cast is different from actual dryness. The crunch cast feeling comes from the aloevera, and the crunch doesn't last as it is water soluable and part absorbs in the hair. I will send you the full list of gels i recommend in email and repost them here, since there are a few products I like to omit. The products I am omiting are free and clear styling gel, all the aussie gels, and tate's the miracle gel(i have reason to believe they are a scam company and give misinformation about their ingredients based on numerous amazon testimonies for their products.)

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 29 2014 at 7:38pm
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2014 at 10:18pm
My hair, before Doing the Maximum Hydration Method:

Paul mitchell and sheabutter was used to set my bantu knot outs.

My hair, after doing the max hydration method for about a month.

In the morning one day before, a bentonite clay rinse was also done on the hair.

Close up pictures taken on all sides of head. Watered down(5 parts conditioner, 1 part water) cowash and detangle with kinky curly knot today. hair is slightly damp, not dripping and dry in areas. This is taken 6 hours after the cowash(not entirely rinsed out, and then a quick reapplication of a dime sized amount of kinky curly knot today over my whole head as a leave in., no other product is in my hair. When i say slightly damp hair, i mean like my hair is 90-95% dry with a hint of dampness. Visible shine and root to tip definition on many hair clumps.

I will edit this post an include picture of my defined wash and go, and my hair wet after a bakingsoda rinse. The following pictures were taken before the two sets above. I will soon post pictures of my wash and go wet and dry using kinky curly knot today, which I recently bought.

Product free wet hair after most recent bakingsoda rinse(trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner)

My wash and go using trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 30 2014 at 10:47am
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 1:01am
List of Recommended Gels, along with ingredients, sizes and price.
I have arranged them in order of price value, lowest to highest. 
All of these gels are made without glycerin, denatured alcohol, protein, unwater soluable silicones
(note: majority of these contain no silicones at all or polyquats, but a few do, though not with in the top 5 ingredients. I bolded the ones that do.), mineral oil, and panthenol(note: panthenol behaves like mild protein, the few gels that contain it in this list, can either be customly taken out on the website, or are not in the top 5 ingredients.)

Giovanni's L.A. Natural styling gel- can be found as low as $5.89, 6.8oz. $0.86/oz

Ingredients: infusion of Rosemary Extract, Nettles Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Leaf
Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract, St. John's Wort Extract,
Coltsfoot Extract, Mallow Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Horsetail Extract,
Red Clover Extract, Soy, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Cellosize, I.P.A.,
PVP K30, Stearikonium, Chloride, Kelp, Mineral Trace Elements, DL
Panthenol(2nd to last ingredient), Cinnamate

Natural Hair Gel Flaxseed & Marshmallow Root Hair Softner, Conditioner, Ph Balanced, Hair Moisturizer by Naturally Amari -$7, 8 oz $0.87/oz
(note: available on etsy.com, and pick the custom options without quinoa protein under sizes)

ingredients:
Certified Organic Flaxseeds, Certified Organic Marshmallow Root, 100%
Natural Aloe Vera Gel, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Natural
preservative (Optiphen)

Bain de Terre Bamboo Ultra Control Styling Gel -
$10, 8.5 oz $1.18/oz

Ingredients:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Laureth-12, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance/Parfum.

H2BNNaturals: Hibiscus Hair Gellie -$11.50, 8 oz $1.44/oz
(etsy.com)
(contains vegetable glycerin, and vitamin B5, aka panthenol. but you ask her to remove the glycerin, and vitamin b5. she takes customs)

Ingredients: Hibiscus & Flax Seed Infused Purified Water, Vegetable
Glycerin
, Aloe Whole Leaf Juice, Marshmallow Root, Irish Moss,
Pro-Vitamin B5, Xanthan Gum (thickener), Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil,
Silver Dihydrogen Citrate (anti-microbial), Citric Acid (preservative),
Potassium Sorbate (preservative)

Organic Marshmallow roots & Flaxseed Extracts Hair Moisturizer Gel-$11.50, 8 oz $1.44/oz

(available on etsy.com)
note: you can make a custom order without the panthenol, since panthenol is a light protein and can build up on the hair making it feel gummy.

Ingredients:
Infusions of organic flaxseeds and organics marshmallow roots , distilled water, Intense Hydration Complex, Panthenol, Inulin, natural and organic aromatic essences, Geoguard, Carrageenan extract, Potassium sorbate.
Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel
(you can request additional ingredients under custom order: Water, Flax Seeds, Xanthan Gum, may contain citric acid, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

Curly Kinks Curl Factor -$15 for 8oz $1.88/oz or $23 for 16oz $1.44/oz
Ingredients: Infused Water (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root), Glycine Betaine (Beta vulgaris (Beet) Sugar Extract, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol)(9th on ingredient list), Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil (Sweet Almond Oil), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel (Prunus Armeniaca) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

New Gellie
by Bella Curl -
$11.95, 8 oz $1.49/oz
(etsy.com)

INGREDIENTS:
aqua (distilled), rosa damascena (rose otto) distillate,
linum usitatissimum (flax) seed, brassica oleracea italica (broccoli)
seed oil, cetearyl olivate (and) sorbitan olivate, infused carthamus
tinctorius (safflower) oil, PEG -50 shea butter, PEG -7 olivate,
magnesium chloride, gluconolactone(food additive) (and) sodium benzoate, essential oil
blend, cellulose copolymer

CURLSPIRATION Natural Curl Defining Hair Gel -$18, 12 oz $1.50/oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients: distilled aqua, aqueous extracts of organic linum
usitatissimum (linseed), organic urtica dioica (nettle leaf), organic
equisetum arvense (horsetail), organic althaea officinalis (marshmallow
root), organic ulmus rubra (slippery elm bark), aloe barbadensis leaf
juice, organic agave nectar, xanthan gum, ricinus communis (castor) seed
oil, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, hydroxypropyltrimonium
honey, panthenol(6th to last ingredient), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,
phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, fragrance, tocopherol, citric acid

Green tea curl glaze-$25, 16 oz 1.56/oz

note: very similar ingredients to kinky curly. Compare price of 16 oz kccc to this. available on etsy.com and amazon.com.

Ingredients
Botanical extracts of horsetail, marshmallow root,
neem leaf, nettle leaf, olive leaf and slippery elm root in purified
water, organic green tea extract, aloe vera, agave nectar, pectin,
lavender, lemon and lime essential oils, natural fragrance

CurlyGirl Silky Custard -$12, 8 oz. $1.75/oz

Ingredients:
distilled water, certified organic aloe vera gel, certified organic extra virgin coconut oil, bamboo extract, certified organic sunflower oil, rice bran oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, wheat germ oil, natural Vitamin E oil, xanthan gum, essential oil blend, potassium sorbate, grapefruit seed extract, phthalate-free fragrance

Herbal Choice Mari Hair Styling GEL for Him & Her -$14, 8oz $1.75/oz

Ingredients: Purified water, organic vodka, organic guar gum (natural plant based), organic sweet orange oil, organic lemongrass oil, organic olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered), organic green tea, organic sage herb, organic bilberry leaf, xanthan gum (natural gum), organic patchouli oil, organic primrose oil, organic thyme oil, organic rose hip oil.

Beautiful curls shea butter curl defining gel- $14, 8oz.  $1.75/oz

Ingredients
Chamomile (matricaria recutita) extract (aqueous),
yarrow (achillea millefolium) extract (aqueous), Certified Fair Trade
shea butter (butyrospermum parkii), aloe vera leaf gel (aloe
barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol(6th ingredient), coconut oil, apricot fruit and
ylang ylang flower extracts, guar gum, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol,
potassium sorbate, citric acid.

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil -$16, 8oz $2/oz

Ingredients:

Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5)(6th to last ingredient), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

4Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard-$12.5, 6 oz  $2.08/oz

ingredients: Water, Sucrose, Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Citric Acid, FragranceJessie Curl confident Curls

Kinky curly curling custard -$17, 8 oz  $2.12/ oz

Ingredients: botanical infusion of
water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera
juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic,
citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Natural Flaxseed Gel by Blendies -$8.50, 4oz $2.13/oz
(available on etsy.com)

Ingredients:

Bobs Mill Organic Flaxseeds, ,Organic Castor oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Olive oil, Vitamin E, Essential oil.

Curls Goddess Glaze-$14, 6 oz $2.33/oz

Ingredients
Water, Sorbitol, Polyacrylate-14, Certified
Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7(6th ingredient), Polysorbate 20,
Certified Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Certified
Organic Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Certified Organic
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Certified Organic
Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1 Carbomer, Aminomethyl
Propanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, DMDM Hydantoin.

miessence certified organic shape styling gel -$27, 8.5 oz $3.18/oz

Ingredients:
certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, xanthan gum, chondrus crispus (carageenan) gum , certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic pelargonium graveolens (geranium) essential oil, certified organic equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, certified organic rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, certified organic salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane alcohol)

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 30 2014 at 6:07pm
msdeekay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msdeekay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 9:45am
Yah I was actually going to ask you if you wanted me to email you those pictures or if you can simple just take them from my instagram, thanks for thinking ahead of me lol :)
Oh wow Pinkecube your hair just did a 360 and it's doing great! Your progress is very encouraging. I would say before I big chopped and started cowashing every single day and doing the GHE method every night my hair looked more like yours in the first five pics, but now I can start seeing some clumping and curl definition. This gives me lots of hope that this method will work on my hair. I tried the paul mitchell conditioner sometime back but it left my hair crunchy, now I know why!

I found a great list of ingredients to look out for in case others may be struggling like me when reading ingredients. Hope this helps :)

List copied from 
http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.se/p/curly-girl-method-essentials-for.html

Sulfates (bad):

Alkylbenzene sulfonates
Ammonium laureth sulfate: can be drying to the hair
Ammonium lauryl sulfate: can be very drying to the hair
Ammonium Xylenesulfonate
Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate
Sodium cocoyl sarcosinate
Sodium laureth sulfate: can be drying to the hair
Sodium lauryl sulfate: can be especially drying to the hair
Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate
Sodium myreth sulfate
Sodium Xylenesulfonate
TEA-dodecylbenzenesulfonate
Ethyl PEG-15 cocamine sulfate
Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate

Silicones :

Amodimethicone not soluble in water by itself
Behenoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Cetearyl methicone not soluble in water
Cetyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Cyclomethicone not soluble in water
Cyclopentasiloxane not soluble in water
Dimethicone not soluble in water
Dimethiconol not soluble in water
Stearoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Stearyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Trimethylsilylamodimethicone not soluble in water

Water-Soluable Silicones:

Dimethicone Copolyol water soluble
Lauryl methicone copolyol water soluble
Any non-water silicone with PEG in front of it
Drying Alcohols:
SD alcohol 40
Witch hazel
Isopropanol

Salts (Bad):

Calcium chloride
Magnesium chloride
Magnesium sulfate: has been found to add volume to hair, used to enhance curls
Potassium chloride
Potassium glycol sulfate
Sodium Chloride

Other Bad Ingredients:
Mineral oil
Paraffin
Petrolatum

She found the list from
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
Journey94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Journey94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 5:53pm
^They changed the formula of the Uncle Funky's gel like a week ago, they added glycerin & hydrolyzed wheat protein.

I think Curly Kinks Curl Factor may be one, $15 for 8oz $23 for 16oz
Infused Water (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root), Glycine Betaine (Beta vulgaris (Beet) Sugar Extract, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Xanthan Gum, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Almond (Prunus Dulcis) Oil (Sweet Almond Oil), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel (Prunus Armeniaca) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 180>
  Share Topic