Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

The MAX HYDRATION METHOD(from my other post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 291>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:00pm
Ok Pink if your gonna give me advice we need FULL names no short acronyms. My hair is 1/4 of an inch so I can experiment all day long to find what will work with my while my hair grows out. whats C.L (cherry lola)? or ghe or kccc also I tried to seal with shea butter and that was an ultimate no.

How ofter are you supposed to do the Cherry lola treament is it every week or 2 weeks until your hair gets hydrated? if so I have a super long way to go cos my hurr is super DRY. 
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Ok Pink if your gonna give me advice we need FULL names no short acronyms. My hair is 1/4 of an inch so I can experiment all day long to find what will work with my while my hair grows out. whats C.L (cherry lola)? or ghe or kccc also I tried to seal with shea butter and that was an ultimate no.

How ofter are you supposed to do the Cherry lola treament is it every week or 2 weeks until your hair gets hydrated? if so I have a super long way to go cos my hurr is super DRY. 

Sorry about that.

Ghe: Green House Effect CL: Cherry Lola Kccc: Kinky curly curling custard.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend shea butter, or any other oil--or at least not alone. Glycerin I would avoid all together though. I find gels are better, as they keep the hair clumped (which helps avoid tangles and knots), and also do a better job of longterm sealing in of moisture. a lot of Oils do a temporary job of sealing in moisture, and a lot of the time the majority of water more ends up evaporating into the air so on their own they don't work efficiently enough.

You can do an LCO or LCOC if you want. (LCO= Liquid (water), Conditioner, and Oil. LCOC is Liquid (water) Conditioner, Oil and then conditioner.) It isn't necessary, but it does soften the cast of first day hair. I would only put a tiny dab of oil however, you do want some cast so your moisture is properly sealed in. That is one of the reasons it is important to get a gel that isn't harsh on your hair.

Don't worry. I know dry hair, and this method is designed specifically for our hair type; it will work effectively.

As for the C.L. treatment, I heard it can be done as often as every 2 weeks. But the regimen is designed to adhere to hydration as well so it's not as if you won't be constantly introducing moisture to your hair. Again, I recommend doing your hair daily for at least a week with this regimen, if you're really dedicated a month. If you can't, try every other day or every 3 days.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 05 2014 at 6:31pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 7:48pm
Are you saying I should do the cherry lola every other day? Isnt that too much? What gels do you recommend?
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 9:37pm
no, not at all. i am saying do the cherry lola treatment as frequently as every two weeks. the daily regimen does not include the cherry lola treatment. i just include it as a preparation step for when you start the regimen for the first time. i do not recommend doing cherry lola treatments any more than every two weeks. every two weeks is the Most frequently you can do it.

like i said, i recommend kinky curly curling custard, or flax seed gel. i will look up some more botanical gels on google when i have time.

btw, what type of conditioners are you using? make sure they are sulfate free, silicone free, do not contain denatured alcohol. also, if you are using that same conditioner as a leave in (which you can do) make sure it doesnt have glycerin. i do not recommend leaving glycerin in the hair, so avoid products that contain glycerin if you are going to be leaving them in your hair.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 05 2014 at 9:42pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 9:46am
Okay then those Giovanni conditioners wont work for me then. I have the Green tea one and the Moisture one. Hmmm must get this regimen right. I'll have to look into other brands then. I'm learning something new every day.

So are you telling me that dry 4c hair can be transformed to nourished defined curls? I haven't seen anyone with 4c hair that started dry and has been transformed. The videos that you loaded in that other thread didn't have a good representation of my type of hair. I'm open and willing to try anything at this point since my hair is super short.
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 10:21am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Okay then those Giovanni conditioners wont work for me then. I have the Green tea one and the Moisture one. Hmmm must get this regimen right. I'll have to look into other brands then. I'm learning something new every day.

So are you telling me that dry 4c hair can be transformed to nourished defined curls? I haven't seen anyone with 4c hair that started dry and has been transformed. The videos that you loaded in that other thread didn't have a good representation of my type of hair. I'm open and willing to try anything at this point since my hair is super short.

trust me, it seems like these women have some special hair type, but that is not the case. my understanding of 4c hair, is that its a way to hair type 'nappy' or frizzy and chronically dry hair, when nappy hair isnt a hair type, its a condition. i have 4b 4c hair so i get what you mean, but trust me this really works. if you look at those youtubers-- aketafitgirl and especially danabnatural-- you will clearly see their hair has transformed overtime. i emphasize danabnatural, because you can really see a progression in her hair as you scroll through her video uploads. watch her first few videos. she has not always done everything in this regimen, she slowly picked up parts of it overtime. it wasnt until she picked up what happens to be an option from step 1 of this regimen, that her hair had that last push she needed to get to max hydration, which she has now. thats why dont be decieved by the frizz. you do have curls, or coils and zigzags, they are just being smothered by dehydration right now. they will pop.

btw, a conditioner i can recommend is trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner. its botanical, and really thick and cheap if you can get it in the trader joes store. i actually use trader joes ph balance and tea tree tingle, but i prefer tea tree tingle as it doesnt contain parabens. other good ones are tresseme naturals line, and  kinky curly knot today.

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 06 2014 at 12:30pm
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 8:40pm
Wow I can't believe there is a method for this!

Im a guy and I decided to grow my hair out because I wanted to try something different. I literally knew nothing about natural hair and my mom was relaxed so she had no idea how to properly care for natural hair.

The first year or so I was literally shampooing 4-5x a week, didnt know conditioner was for guys and I used gel frequently without any type of leave-in. My hair was always dry!

My first major discovery was conditioner. My dad told me conditioner was for girls so I stayed away from it (I was only 15 at the time I thought he was right). I bought a conditioner and it was like hair crack. My hair felt soooo soft. I started using conditioner everyday and stopped shampooing because I liked the way conditioner made my hair feel.

Eventually my hair got to a point where everyone kept saying it was nappy and I needed to cut it. I didn't want to cut it so I asked my friend who was natural how can I get curl definition. She said twist outs were the only way. I tried twist outs for like 2-3 days and mine turned out horrible and they took forever to do. I vowed to never do a twist out again. It's too time consuming.

I researched online how to get curl definition and eventually found some stuff about the CG method. I was doing frequent wash and goes but I was using products with silicones and I never used gel because I was told it was bad for the hair.

Basically my point is, it's crazy how the most simplistic method is what's best for our hair. I literally had no idea. My laziness turned out to be beneficial

My second major discovery was gel, but you must use a conditioner before applying gel. I tried ecostyler gel because everyone raved about it, but it was really bad for my hair. It's good to know I wasn't the only one who's hair it made super dry. I now use a protein free gel, xtreme wetline gel.

I had no idea gel could seal moisture into the hair! I never was a big fan of oils. It's good to know the things I like to do on my hair (gel, frequent co-washing) isn't hurting my hair, but actually helping it! My friend was natural for a year when I started to grow my hair out, and now my hair is longer than hers because she does twist-outs all the time and doesn't moisturize her hair enough. She seems to have this mindset of water is drying to her hair.

Sorry for the rant! LOL but I wanted to ask is Xtreme Wetline Gel a good gel for this method? I really like the smell, definition, price and its also protein free! KCCC is $17 a jar and xtreme wetline is only $3 for more ounces. I also use Super Wet natural look gel (protein, glycerin free)

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:12pm
in regards to moisture, wetline actually does contain glycerin, so it could be drying. in regards to the super wet look gel, its shouldnt be too drying to the hair unless your hair doesnt like aloe vera. you should also know both gels you mention it contains tea, or triethanolamine, which under certain conditions can become a carcinogen. if youre using a product that contains this ingredient frequently and leaving it on your hair, you dont want it absorbing in to your body. yes this regimen uses daily clarifying, which does get rid of the build up, but it also heavily relies on gel, so you want to know the products youre using are safe.

if you end up getting a gel that happens to have TEA despite that, just make sure you always thoroughly clarify your hair in the clarification steps. also, because the main ingredient in this gel is Tea, the ph of wet look might be pretty alkaline, so acv rinses may probably benefit you the most so you can help reset the ph balance of your hair on a daily basis. another option i can think of is aussie's instant freeze sculpting gel, free and clear hypoallergetic gel, or curls goddess glaze. the prices btw are more reasonable, though not as low in price as the ones you mentioned. i will try to search for more and post them.

thanks for your comment, and im happy you discovered this regimen. goodluck on your journey.Smile
aharri23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aharri23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 12:14am
Wow! You've got me a little spooked. So would you recommend KCCC as the best styler for this method? Since KCCC lasts me a while I may just spend the extra $$$$ if it will seriously help my hair in the long run. I don't want cancer because of hair gel!

Thanks for your help btw!
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by aharri23 aharri23 wrote:

Wow! You've got me a little spooked. So would you recommend KCCC as the best styler for this method? Since KCCC lasts me a while I may just spend the extra $$$$ if it will seriously help my hair in the long run. I don't want cancer because of hair gel!

Thanks for your help btw!

No problem Smile.

Yeah, I believe because of the ingredients, KCCC is one the best stylers you can use for this method. There are other good ones, however. I searched literally for hours online, looking up gels that didn't have silicones, denatured alcohol, parabens, tea, hydrolyzed proteins, and glycerin. A lot of botanical gels I found relied a lot on protein or used glycerin. Cantu shea custard and shea moisture curling suffle had great ingredients but they contained vegetable glycerin as the first few ingredients. I believe they would be a lot like kccc if it weren't for the glycerin, and it's really a shame.

Here are some gels i managed to find that seemed to fit(prices vary from cheap to expensive):

Kinky curly curling custard -$17 for 8 oz

Ingredients: botanical infusion of
water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera
juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic,
citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Beautiful curls shea butter curl defining gel
- $14, 8oz

Ingredients
Chamomile (matricaria recutita) extract (aqueous),
yarrow (achillea millefolium) extract (aqueous), Certified Fair Trade
shea butter (butyrospermum parkii), aloe vera leaf gel (aloe
barbadensis), agave nectar, panthenol, coconut oil, apricot fruit and
ylang ylang flower extracts, guar gum, xanthan gum, phenoxyethanol,
potassium sorbate, citric acid.

CURLSPIRATION Natural Curl Defining Hair Gel $18, 12 oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients: distilled aqua, aqueous extracts of organic linum
usitatissimum (linseed), organic urtica dioica (nettle leaf), organic
equisetum arvense (horsetail), organic althaea officinalis (marshmallow
root), organic ulmus rubra (slippery elm bark), aloe barbadensis leaf
juice, organic agave nectar, xanthan gum, ricinus communis (castor) seed
oil, prunus armeniaca (apricot) kernel oil, hydroxypropyltrimonium
honey, panthenol, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil,
phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, fragrance, tocopherol, citric acid

Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic-$25, 18oz

ingredients: Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow,
Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric
Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

Curls Goddess Glaze
-$14, 6 oz

Ingredients
Water, Sorbitol, Polyacrylate-14, Certified
Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20,
Certified Organic Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Certified
Organic Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Certified Organic
Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Certified Organic
Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Biosaccharide Gum-1 Carbomer, Aminomethyl
Propanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, DMDM Hydantoin.

Green tea curl glaze
-$25, 16 oz

Ingredients
Botanical extracts of horsetail, marshmallow root,
neem leaf, nettle leaf, olive leaf and slippery elm root in purified
water, organic green tea extract, aloe vera, agave nectar, pectin,
lavender, lemon and lime essential oils, natural fragrance

Natural Hair Gel Flaxseed & Marshmallow Root Hair Softner, Conditioner, Ph Balanced, Hair Moisturizer by Naturally Amari -$7, 8 oz

(it's on etsy.com, and pick the options without quinoa under sizes)

ingredients:Certified Organic Flaxseeds, Certified Organic Marshmallow Root, 100%
Natural Aloe Vera Gel, Sweet Almond Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Natural
preservative (Optiphen)       

Giovanni's L.A. Natural styling gel-$9-6, 6.8 oz

Ingredients: infusion of Rosemary Extract, Nettles Extract, Thyme Extract, Birch Leaf
Extract, Chamomile Extract, Sage Extract, St. John's Wort Extract,
Coltsfoot Extract, Mallow Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Horsetail Extract,
Red Clover Extract, Soy, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Cellosize, I.P.A.,
PVP K30, Stearikonium, Chloride, Kelp, Mineral Trace Elements, DL
Panthenol, Cinnamate

4Naturals Spring Back Curling Custard
-$12.5, 6 oz

ingredients: Water, Sucrose, Propylene Glycol, Pectin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Citric Acid, FragranceJessie Curl confident Curls

New Gellie
by Bella Curl -$11.95, 8 oz
(etsy.com)

INGREDIENTS: aqua (distilled), rosa damascena (rose otto) distillate,
linum usitatissimum (flax) seed, brassica oleracea italica (broccoli)
seed oil, cetearyl olivate (and) sorbitan olivate, infused carthamus
tinctorius (safflower) oil, PEG -50 shea butter, PEG -7 olivate,
magnesium chloride, gluconolactone (and) sodium benzoate, essential oil
blend, cellulose copolymer Original Sprout Natural hair gel

Aussie's instant freeze sculpting gel
-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:
water, laureth 23, ppolyquaternium 4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth 25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
propanol, dmdm hydantoin, acrylates copolymer, fragrance, disodium edta,
prunus serotina bark extract (wild cherry), humulus lupulus extract
(hops), hedychium coronarium root extract (australian white ginger),
panthenol
Aussie Aussome Volume Texturizing Gel

Aussie Aussome Volume Texturizing Gel
-$4, 7 oz

ingredients:water, laureth-23, polyquaternium-4, hydroxyethylcellulose, benzyl
alcohol, acrylates/beheneth-25 methacrylate copolymer, aminomethyl
propanol, dmdm hydantoin, acrylates copolymer, fragrance, disodium edta,
prunus serotina (wild cherry) bark extract, humulus lupulus (hops)
extract, hedychium coronarium (australian white ginger) root extract,
panthenol.

H2BNNaturals: Hibiscus Hair Gellie -$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com)
(contains vegetable glycerin, but you ask her to remove the glycerin, she takes customs)
Ingredients: Hibiscus & Flax Seed Infused Purified Water, Vegetable
Glycerin, Aloe Whole Leaf Juice, Marshmallow Root, Irish Moss,
Pro-Vitamin B5, Xanthan Gum (thickener), Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil,
Silver Dihydrogen Citrate (anti-microbial), Citric Acid (preservative),
Potassium Sorbate (preservative)

Organic Marshmallow roots & Flaxseed Extracts Hair Moisturizer Gel-$11.50, 8 oz

(etsy.com, also if you want you can make a custom order without the panthenol, since panthenol is a light protein and can build up on the hair making it feel gummy)

Ingredients: Infusions of organic flaxseeds and organics marshmallow roots , distilled water, Intense Hydration Complex, Panthenol, Inulin, natural and organic aromatic essences, Geoguard, Carrageenan extract, Potassium sorbate.
Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel
(you can request additional ingredients under custom order: Water, Flax Seeds, Xanthan Gum, may contain citric acid, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid

Tate's the Natural Miracle Hair Gel -$32, 18 oz
(not sure how good a hold this might have)
Ingredients:
Mountain spring water, pine needles, pine bark, oak bark, honey,
lavender, calendula, basil, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, rose hip,
allspice berries, citrus peels, juniper, lemongrass, sage, mint, thyme,
vinegar, peppermint, apricot, peach.

Herbal Choice Mari Hair Styling GEL for Him & Her -$14, 8oz

Ingredients: Purified water, organic vodka, organic guar gum (natural plant based), organic sweet orange oil, organic lemongrass oil, organic olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered), organic green tea, organic sage herb, organic bilberry leaf, xanthan gum (natural gum), organic patchouli oil, organic primrose oil, organic thyme oil, organic rose hip oil.

CurlyGirl Silky Custard -$12, 8 oz.

Ingredients:
distilled water, certified organic aloe vera gel, certified organic extra virgin coconut oil, bamboo extract, certified organic sunflower oil, rice bran oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, wheat germ oil, natural Vitamin E oil, xanthan gum, essential oil blend, potassium sorbate, grapefruit seed extract, phthalate-free fragrance

Natural Flaxseed Gel by Blendies -$8.50, 4oz

(etsy.com)

Ingredients:

Bobs Mill Organic Flaxseeds, ,Organic Castor oil, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Olive oil, Vitamin E, Essential oil.

Zerran Hair Care Radiant Finish Styling Glaze Medium Hold
- $11.99, 8 oz

Ingredients:
Water, Polyquaternium-4,Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citrus URANTIUM dULCIS (Orange) Peel Extract, Althaea Officinalis Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Fruit Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Cocamidopropyl Belaine, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mentha Virdis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Polyquaternium-47, Disodium EDTA, Methylisothaizolinone, Violet 2.

Bain de Terre Bamboo Ultra Control Styling Gel -$10, 8.5 oz

Ingredients:
Water/Aqua/Eau, Polyacrylate-2 Crosspolymer, Aminomethyl Propanol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis Flower Extract, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Fruit Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Laureth-12, Tetrasodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance/Parfum.

miessence certified organic shape styling gel -$27, 8.5 oz

Ingredients: certified organic aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, xanthan gum, chondrus crispus (carageenan) gum , certified organic arctium lappa (burdock) extract, certified organic pelargonium graveolens (geranium) essential oil, certified organic equisetum arvense (horsetail) extract, certified organic urtica dioica (nettle) extract, myroxylon pereirae (balsam peru) oil, certified organic rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, certified organic rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, certified organic salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, certified organic ethanol (sugar cane alcohol)

Epiphany Naturals Curly Creme with Argan Oil
-$16, 8oz

Ingredients:

Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, EcoCert Propanediol (Vegetable, Corn), Organic Althaea officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, EcoCert Trimethylglycine (Beet Sugar), EcoCert Hydrogenated Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil), EcoCert Olea europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponifiables, Organic Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Nut Oil, Argan Oil, Sclerotium (Mushroom) Gum, Organic Hibiscus rosa sinensis (Hibiscus) Leaf / Flower Extract, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Sclerotium Gum (Vegetable), KOSH Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss / Carageenan), Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) Esters, EcoCert Gluconolactone, EcoCert Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance

by the way i take that back about the free and clear styling gel, from my previous reply. it actually has silicones, which build up on the hair blocking moisture, and can't be removed by anything but sulfates.  hope i could help!Big smile

Edited by pinkecube - Mar 08 2014 at 11:36pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 291>